Playing With Fire ~ A J.R./SE story

Scorpienne

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Over 20 years ago, I wrote a story on the old Soapchat board entitled Secret Lovers. It was the prequel to another story, The Broken Road. I didn’t save much of either of them so most was lost when Soapchat crashed in 2016.

Flash-forward, I started watching the series again recently and decided I'd like to revisit the old Secret Lovers story. This take will be a little different, but I hope it will have the same heart as the original.

Couple of things, I did take some liberties with it in that, in my story April is still alive. JR and Bobby still run Ewing Oil (I didn’t like the cartoonish way of the final couple of seasons so I hope that’s okay).

Anyway, here is the prologue and Chapter 1.

Prologue​


Sue Ellen didn’t bother to tell Don she was leaving him. He was away on a shoot in Prague when she made the decision. He had promised he would be back in six weeks. So, she waited. Six weeks came and went. Excuses. Logistical issues were going to delay things for a few more weeks, he’d said. He promised a lengthy holiday if she could just wait a while longer.

Waiting. It had been a repetitive cycle. Arranging her life around a man. Waiting for JR. Waiting for Don. Even Dusty to a certain extent. So much of her life wasted – waiting. Her mind was made up. Made up before she dropped the phone back to the receiver. It was over. Immediately.

She supposed the proper thing would have been to wait for his return and tell him then, in person. She could dawdle about, wiling away the time until he decided to return to London once more. But there was no good reason to and on occasion, she didn’t think of herself as very proper anyway.

She contemplated her next steps. It occurred to her she had always referred to the grand city as London. But she was unable to come up with a single instance she had ever referred to the city as home.

Home was so far away. Nearly 5,000 miles but it seemed to her it may as well have been on another planet. She missed it. She longed for sounds of crickets and cicadas in the evenings as the sun dropped below the horizon. The intense heat of the Texas sun. She thought of the ambient sky and how, when she was a little girl, she truly believed if her arms were just a tiny bit longer, she could have reached out her bedroom window to touch it.

She missed John Ross who had moved back to Southfork two years ago. Not that she blamed him. He wanted to be back with the friends he’d grown up with, his school and extracurricular activities – his father. Sure, there were visits. Lots of phone calls. But it wasn’t the same and she felt terribly guilty. Now he was a teenager. And time was getting away from her.
She would leave tomorrow. It would be an expedited, clean break.

She quietly made her way to the master suite and picked up the bedside telephone to ring up her travel agent.

“Penny, this is Sue Ellen,” she began.

Penny replied. “Good morning, Mrs. Lockwood. What can I do for you today?”

“I’d like you to procure for me a first-class ticket to Dallas, Texas.”

“I can certainly take care of that for you. What are your travel dates?”

“I’d like my departure to be tomorrow. The earliest flight possible.”

“That might be a little tricky, but I’ll see what I can do. And the date for your return flight?”

“There is no return date. It’s one-way.”
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpienne

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Chapter 1 ~ The Whole Night ​


The long, ten-hour flight from Heathrow to Dallas was drawing to a close and the plane had descended just low enough for Sue Ellen to start to recognize some landmarks along the outskirts of the city. The pilot came on the public address system and announced they were approaching their final descent.

“Temperature on the ground is 102 with a heat index of 113. We expect a on-time arrival, landing in 20 minutes.”

The rest was white noise to Sue Ellen. She sat upright and leaned forward to the window, rested her chin on her hand. This was exciting. She spied the downtown skyline in the distance. The cloverleaf shaped expressway interchange. She found herself unable to contain her grin as the plane descended lower and lower.

“I’m home.”

“Ugh, the humidity,” Sue Ellen mumbled under her breath, and silently reminded herself it might take a little time to get reacclimated to the thick, oppressive Texas heat she had missed so much.

The limousine chauffeur greeted her and stored her luggage in the trunk before opening the passenger door, and offering to assist her into the vehicle. Then, having taken his seat behind the wheel, he signaled the ride was about to begin.

The commute from the airport to The Elysia where she’d secured a penthouse suite was a haze as she varied between resting back in appreciation of the air conditioning and leaning forward to peek out the window, noting a few changes here and there since she had last visited. She took it all in and felt a range of emotions. There was a time, not terribly long ago, when she was at the pinnacle of society in Dallas. Now? Where would she fit in? Suddenly everything seemed surreal and far larger than she remembered it. And Sue Ellen, tucked away in the back seat of the limousine, felt very small.

Feeling much refreshed after a long shower, Sue Ellen emerged from the bedroom and sank into the sofa. A little disoriented when she first arrived, she didn’t really notice much about her accommodations until now. The suite was modern but tasteful, nothing garish, her favorite part being the private rooftop terrace that provided an expansive view of the Dallas skyline. Yes, this would do for now.

Remembering she was famished, she opted to have her dinner within the confines of her penthouse suite and rang downstairs for room service.

While she waited, her eyes found the hotel stationery and weighted pen. She lifted both from the table and set about making a to-do list. It wasn’t an overwhelmingly long list but a couple of items would require a great deal of detail.

1. Visit John Ross
2. Purchase vehicle
3. Hire realtor
4. Purchase new home
5. Furnish new home
6. New wardrobe

Over dinner, she studied the list, reading aloud from the fourth line item. “Purchase new home.”

She pondered that for a moment. What seemed surreal earlier was very clear to her now. My home. One of my choosing. And every single thing in it down to the kitchen towels will be selected by me.

Following her dinner, Sue Ellen had a renewed sense of vigor and mulled over what to do with what was left of her first day back in town. From her cozy seat on the sofa, she gazed out the window. Though jetlagged, she did not want the evening to go to waste. This first night of true independence in her entire life. This night was special. She did not know where she would go or what she would do. But of one thing she was certain. She was not going to spend it cooped up indoors.

Hopping up from the sofa, she went to the king suite to change into something for going out. Browsing the selections she had brought along with her, she chose a chic, lightweight midi length dress that gathered at the waist, accentuating her slim figure. Navy with a creamy botanical pattern and matching navy slingback pumps.

With nowhere to go, and no particular place to really be other than her walk, Sue Ellen meandered about downtown. Allowing her legs to guide her, she took in the scenery. The blistering heat, almost suffocating when she took those first steps out from the airport earlier, exhilarated her now. She did not know what the future held but whatever it was, she was optimistic about it. She knew she belonged here. Belonged so much, in fact, that when she passed by the Ewing Building, her only acknowledgment of it was a fleeting upward-tilted glance before continuing on her way.

Looking down at her watch, Sue Ellen noted it was getting late and she should probably start heading back. She had a big day tomorrow. Reaching the intersection of Main and Field Streets, she pressed the pedestrian walk button and proceeded to wait.

From behind, she caught the wafting laughter of several indistinctive albeit varying levels of intoxicated male voices, followed by “Alright fellas, I’ll have Harv draw it up in the mornin’.”

There was no mistaking that one. Sue Ellen knew that voice. Too well. Steeling her spine, she ever so slowly turned only her head in the direction from where the voice came. Damn.

She checked the crosswalk light. Much to her chagrin it was still flashing ‘DON’T WALK’. Running into him was inevitable. She knew there was going to be times they had no choice but to share the same space due to John Ross. She had no qualms about that. But to encounter him tonight? Incredible.

She watched as he pulled his Stetson low and started to wherever he’d left his vehicle, more than likely in the parking garage of the Ewing Building.

JR looked about him. He glanced to his right. Damn.

At the first sight of her, he froze momentarily. Then, recovering quickly, he whispered under his breath, “Well, I’ll be damned.”

Sue Ellen greeted him cordially. She could play nice. “Hello, JR.”

As he ambled his way over to where she stood at the curb, Sue Ellen found herself very aware of his presence. JR didn’t just walk. He swaggered. And it could be disarming.

“Sue Ellen,” he began, making no attempt to conceal his sarcasm. “What brings you to Dallas? That lowlife you’re married to shooting another one of his B-movies here?”

If that was how it was to be, she was prepared to take it as far as it would go. “I do distinctly recall he didn’t exactly have A-list material to work with the last time he based a film here.”

She delivered the finish. “It was about you, after all.”

At that, JR diverted the subject. “John Ross hasn’t mentioned anything about you coming to Dallas? Does know you’re in town?”

“No,” she shook her head slightly. “I was hoping to surprise him.”

“I see. Well, I suppose he’ll like that.”

He’d gone after her full force and then just as quickly backed down and became genial. Almost. For how long would he be able to resist the temptation to send another barb her way? When he chose, he could have the personality of a copperhead, and you never knew when he was going to strike. Sue Ellen looked directly into his eyes when they conversed in attempt to detect it.

“How long are you in Dallas for? A week? Month?”

Sue Ellen hadn’t anticipated having this discussion here, nor did she want to. Checking her watch again, she said, “It’s getting awfully late. And I – I should probably get going.”

“You’re on foot,” he noted. “How far from here are you staying anyway?”

Gesturing with her purse, she motioned down the street. “The Elysia.”

“You’ve got quite a ways to go and you’re out here all alone.” JR looked at her a moment, then offered, “I could escort you back. That is – if that’s alright with you.”

She didn’t respond right away. He was being almost chivalrous. Though she was certain there was a motive behind it, she was confused as to what his intention was.

“Sue Ellen?”

“Ye-yes, I heard you,” she stumbled. “I…I suppose that would be alright. It is late, after all.”

“Well then,” JR began, offered Sue Ellen his arm. “Shall we?”

In response, she gave him a light slap on the arm with her purse. “Not on your life, JR. But nice try.”

The two of them walked, side by side, their pace leisurely. Sue Ellen’s guard was up. He wouldn’t allow the fact she had come to Dallas alone go for too long. The thought had barely entered her head when he began to pry again. “You didn’t mention why Don isn’t with you.”

She hesitated for a second before turning to face him. “So many questions about me. Yet, you haven’t offered up a single thing about yourself.”

“True,” JR nodded affirmatively. “But I don’t recall you asking either.”

“What were you doing in town so late? Who were those men you were with? I didn’t recognize any of them.”

“Business.”

“Care to elaborate?” she asked. She then rolled her eyes before adding, “Or do I even want to know?”

“Well, I don’t know what you’ve seen in the papers on your side of the pond, but independents like me have been in a mode of survival for quite a while now.”

“I’ve kept up some.”

He shook his head in disgust. “Been a game of outlast. Some of the ones you know went belly-up. Terrible.”

“And how does Ewing Oil fit into all this?”

“Well, after that little deal I put together today, pretty damn good. See, I convinced a half dozen other independents to consolidate our land – What that’s gonna do is it’s going to allow us to drill multiple sites, side by side and cut our overhead in half. And that’s not all.”

Sue Ellen couldn’t hide her grin nor could she contain herself from teasing him. “That sounds too honorable for you. Are you feeling okay?”

Unfazed, he played along with her gentle ribbing. “Oh, you know me. Always looking out for everyone’s best interests.”

“And a hefty profit margin for you too, I’m sure,” she teased.

The distance between the two of them and The Elysia was quickly evaporating as they continued to converse, trading a light-hearted barb here and there. It didn’t go beyond Sue Ellen’s notice they’d been mostly amiable with one another. Almost as if they were old friends instead of twice-divorced exes. And before either of them realized it, they were standing before the entryway of Sue Ellen’s hotel.

She glanced upward and surveyed the porte-cochere. “This is where I get off.”

“Guess so.” He thought for a moment, added, “I know you have no reason to believe me. But it’s good to see you, Sue Ellen.”

She wasn’t certain of the sincerity of his words. But even if he wasn’t, she approved. Hearing him say he’d been glad to see her felt good, whether he meant it or not. A long time had passed since she had felt that way. “Thank you being such a polite, gentlemanly escort, JR.”

“No problem,” he replied. “Glad to do it.”

“Are you driving back to Southfork tonight?”

“No, I’m stayin’ at the condo tonight.”

“I see.” Sue Ellen fumbled for words. “Well, I – I probably shouldn’t keep you any longer.”

“Good night, Sue Ellen.”

“Good night.”

Sue Ellen stood watch as he turned to disappear into the night. She couldn’t put her finger on why, but she wasn’t ready for him to leave. Not yet. Though their time together was brief, and much to her surprise, she’d found herself enjoying his company. She watched him for a second longer. Just long enough for impulse to take over.

“JR.”

“Yes?” He wheeled round to face her.

“It’s terribly late.” She paused, choosing her words carefully. “But if you’re up to it - and promise to conduct yourself like a mature grown-up - There are some things that you and I probably need to discuss. Would you like to come up for a nightcap?”

His eyes seemed to be poring over every detail of her face as he pondered her invitation. Finally, he nodded, “I reckon I could.”

Then, gesturing toward the doors in a sweeping motion, he announced, “Ladies first.”

She proceeded inside ahead of him. Just as she entered the vestibule, she felt the light brush of his fingertips against her back, guiding her.

“Hands off,” she admonished, wagging her index finger at him.

JR cleared his throat, smirked slightly. “My apologies, Darlin’. Won’t happen again.”

The elevator ride up to the penthouse was relatively silent, and both kept their attention fixed above as the floor numbers changed. There was a loaded silence between. It wasn’t that it was awkward. Far removed, something just felt…natural. A fact that told Sue Ellen it may not be easy to retreat from the line she had just crossed.

****************************************************************************************************************************​

“The bar is over there,” Sue Ellen gestured with her hand, sliding out of her heels.

Once they were in closed quarters together, she felt a little boxed in. Making her way across the spacious living area, she stopped when she came to the expansive oak patio doors leading out to the terrace and opened them.

“Mind if we sit outside?”

JR finished pouring his drink and followed. “That’ll be just fine.”

“Have a seat.”

JR followed her lead and, drink in hand, settled into the low-slung barrel armchair directly across from her. For a brief spell, neither spoke. Across the neutral space that separated them, they simply studied one another.

Finally, JR took the initiative. “How many days are you in town for? A week? Month?”

Sue Ellen tensed her jaw. “What would you say if I told you indefinitely?”

She looked on as he absorbed her words, making a futile attempt at reading his face. But his expression was unreadable and gave her nothing.

He took a sip from his bourbon. “Is that a fact? Trouble in paradise?”

“Paradise,” She gave a wry laugh. “I suppose that all depends on one’s definition of the word.”

“Well, that’s a terrible shame. I’m sorry to hear that.”

Sue Ellen laughed out loud at his response. A real laugh. “I know just how much you mean that, JR.”

He chuckled a little himself then, inquired, “Are you calling my sincerity into question?”

“Oh, no.” She shook her head. “I’m not questioning it at all.”

“When you said ‘indefinitely’ earlier – I take it that means you’re here to stay?”

Sue Ellen shifted uncomfortably. “What about you, JR? I take it your own busy love life is going well?”

JR flicked a glance at the corner and back to her. “To answer your question, there’s no one in my life at the moment.”

Sue Ellen pounced. “Not even in the interest of the vast Ewing Oil empire?” Leaning forward, she added, “How very fascinating.”

“How long do you intend to stay on here? The hotel, I mean.”

“I honestly don’t have a particular time frame. But definitely until I find something permanent.” Her words hung. “You know, JR, I can’t help noticing my geography seems to be of great interest to you. Any reason why?”

He took another sip. “Well hell, Darlin’, I’m just surprised is all.”

She had to give him that much. “Yes, I suppose you’re right.”

Tightening she lips for a moment, she remarked, “We’re a fine pair, aren’t we? Three failed marriages. Each.”

JR replaced his glass on the table. “Yeah, well…I wouldn’t exactly call all of’em complete and total failures. Not two of them anyway.”

JR sat upright and proceeded to loosen his tie, freed himself from it. The top two buttons of his shirt came next. Looking on, she suspected she had made him uncomfortable and secretly wished she had kept the comment to herself.

He settled back in the chair again. Their eyes met across the space between them. For several seconds, neither looked away. The words sunk in. The highs and lows of long, volatile history they shared hung in the air.

Eventually, she broke the silence and agreed. “Not entirely.”

JR lounged back in the chair once more and Sue Ellen studied him carefully. She mused he looked too comfortable and perhaps a little pleased with himself. Reclined back, legs crossed leisurely at the ankles, he looked right at home. “You know,” he began. “If you don’t mind me saying, Sue Ellen…You look just fantastic.”

The unexpected compliment caught her off-guard and she was wary there was an ulterior motive behind it. There very well could have been. But it had been a long time since she’d been flattered by a man. Too long. And it felt good. Even from JR. Especially from him. No matter how turbulent their relationship had been over the years, for some reason she was unable to identify, she always wanted to look her best when in his presence. So she took it at face value.

“Thank you.”

Silence.

Sue Ellen did not return his compliment. Not verbally anyway. Instead, she regarded him quietly. You look good too, she said to herself. A little more gray at the temples. Another line or two around the eyes. Yet in a way, it didn’t age him. In fact, it suited him. He was every bit as handsome as he had ever been. And there was something else. She found him to be very, very alluring. No matter what evils had transpired between the two of them, being near him tonight was affirmation that she was still very much attracted to him. Damn. Stop it.

Her thoughts then reverted to earlier in the night. To that moment when he’d attempted to guide her indoors by stroking his fingers along her back. She had scolded him for it. Now? Now, in hindsight, she wished she had allowed his hand to linger in that spot just a little while longer. For just a second. Maybe two. Just long enough so she could feel that little jolt of electricity it had sent up her spine once more. Stop it.

“It just occurred to me, you’re still on London time. London is what, six hours ahead of Dallas?”

“Y-yes,” she stumbled. “This time of year anyway.”

“You alright, Sue Ellen?” he asked. “You seem distracted.”

Damn.

He knew something. But how much would remain a mystery for he gave away nothing.

“I’m fine, JR. I’m just a little-“

“You must be exhausted being up this long, especially after the flight and all.”

“I was,” she admitted. “But once I arrived in Dallas. I don’t know. I just got this rush of adrenaline and…“

“Wired but tired,” J.R. chuckled softly, finishing her sentence. “Maybe it’s a sign you’re where you belong.”

She considered the notion for a moment. “I think you’re right. But it’s different. When I was walking around tonight, I felt alien to it in a way, even though I’ve lived here for the better part of my life.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that. A few days here and it’ll be like you never left.”

He had taken the lead in the conversation and Sue Ellen was grateful for it. She could hear herself conversing with him but her attention was elsewhere. She thought of how her relationship with Don had become platonic early on in their marriage. And how, even when it wasn’t, she was emotionally disconnected and had left him mentally a long time ago. She even caught herself fantasizing. More than once. About him. She had cursed herself for it. Told herself she despised him. But was it possible to truly hate someone who had once held your heart so completely? Or was the truth that part of that long-gone affection was still there, always there, lurking beneath all that anger?

Nonchalantly gesturing at the empty lowball glass, JR interrupted her thoughts once more. “Mind if I have one more for the road.”

“Help yourself.”

One more for the road. He would be leaving soon. He’d disappear into the night and she’d be safe. Sheltered from the thoughts that threatened to cloud her reason. “Safe from myself,” she whispered.

But why did she feel disappointed? Sue Ellen watched JR make his way through the penthouse suite until he was out of sight.

Where were these feelings coming from? If she acted on them, then what? This had never been part of the plan. She thought of their chance meeting earlier. It had every reason to have turned out hostile. Yet here they were, affable and enjoying each other’s company. If she didn’t know better, she’d have sworn it was predestined that they’d meet up with one another. She recalled the adage ‘One turn on the trail’. Was this the turn?

His drink refreshed, JR returned to the terrace. It didn’t escape her he had undone another button on his shirt. Cuffs unbuttoned, turned back.

“This is late even for you, JR.”

“Yeah, and I’ve gotta get into office early in the morning - today.”

Sue Ellen offered, “JR, I don’t want you to feel obligated to stay on my account.”

He cast her a slight grin. “Is that my cue I’ve overstayed my welcome?”

“Not at all. You’ve been the perfect gentleman.” She hesitated. “I’ve enjoyed your company.”

His grin widened. “It’s good to see you, Sue Ellen.”

She eyed the lowball glass, aware J.R. had finished his drink. A visual reminder he was leaving. If she asked him to stay a while longer, would he? She didn’t want him to leave. At the same time, she didn’t want herself to want him to stay.

But if she did him to stay, where would that lead? The clandestine thoughts resurfaced and along with them came the irresistible longing for something she had not experienced in a long time. Too long. It was not due to lack of opportunity, however. There had been offers from others. But she had never felt inclined to act on them. She’d locked away that yearning for physical connection. Tucked it away into the far reaches of her mind and tried not to think about it. But sometimes...

Sometimes, when she was all alone, her mind went back in time. To that look that told her something special was about to happen. To memories of damp, tangled sheets. Racy whispers in the dark. Being vulnerable. Allowing herself to let go. The friction of skin upon skin. Giving pleasure. Receiving it. Staying up until dawn. Making love. With him.

JR polished off his drink and stood up.

“Here, I’ll take that,” Sue Ellen reached for the tumbler. As she took it from him, their fingers brushed for just a second. But for long enough that she swallowed hard and took a deep breath. His eyes locked with hers once more and Sue Ellen saw something different in them now. Different, but familiar.

For several seconds, the room was still. Finally, JR spoke. “Guess I better get going.”

“I know,” Sue Ellen whispered. “I’ll see you out.”

Tumbler in hand, she trailed behind as J.R. ambled toward the door. If she truly wanted to act on her feelings, this was the time. Could she muster the courage to go through with it? Time was dwindling. She had about ten seconds to decide before he was gone, disappeared into the night.

10 seconds…

This is going to be another in a lengthy list of bad decisions.

9 seconds…

This man is dangerous.

8 seconds…

He might say no.

7 seconds…

He might say yes.

6 seconds…

I’ve always felt a little more alive when I’m with him.

5 seconds…

Does he have any idea that if he slid his hand down my back like he did earlier - I wouldn’t stop him this time.

4 seconds…

I desperately want to touch him. Just one more time.

3 seconds…

If I don’t do this…I’ll regret it for the rest of my life.

2 seconds…

I will hate myself tomorrow.

1 second…

I don’t give a damn.

Hat in one hand, JR grasped the door lever with the other. The time had come. Now. Do it.

“J.R.,” she whispered, her breath catching in her throat.

He turned to face her once. “Yes?”

“Stay.”

“The whole night?”

She fixed her gaze directly into his eyes. A soft exhale escaped her lips.

“The whole night.”

His hand slid behind her. And in a fluid motion, he ran his fingertips down the curve of her spine. Sue Ellen didn’t stop him this time.

The tumbler hit the floor.
 

Karin

Moderator
Staff Member
LV
1
 
Awards
10
Nice to see that you are back to writing again Robin. :)

I remember reading your stories "The Broken Road" and "Secret Lovers" way back.
What are the odds that JR/SE just happens to run into each other?

It's obvious that the passion hasn't faded in the years they've been divorced.
 

Scorpienne

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Chapter 2 ~ Blindsiding in Plain Sight​

Southfork

Sue Ellen brought her newly purchased black Mercedes SL500 convertible to a stop just before turning into the long driveway leading to the ranch. A mix of memories flooded her mind, both good and bad. She took in the vast expanse of the estate, and soaked up the pale, sun-bleached tops of the blowing grass. The air caught in her throat. No matter what, Southfork was a part of her. It always would be.

The slight trepidation she felt gave way to excitement at the thought of reuniting with John Ross. She’d missed him terribly.

She pressed her foot to the accelerator and made the right-hand turn into the driveway. The distance closed. The whitewashed three-board fencing that looked like it went on forever led the way. The striking yellow and white awnings came into view. The immaculately manicured shrubbery surrounding the patio.

Bringing her car to a stop, she cut the engine and smiled at the low drone of insects and distant calls of mourning doves. Life seemed slower here. Some of her favorite memories were in the evenings. Everyone gathered in the living room for a nightcap. The conversations varied. Sometimes the room was filled with boisterous laughter. At others, the tension could be cut with a knife. Some nights she’d excuse herself, slip outside to enjoy the sunset, content to take it in alone.

A sudden splash from the pool interrupted her thoughts. She tilted her head in the direction of the patio and spotted John Ross, swimming with Christopher.

“My son.” She smiled, undoing her seatbelt. She got out of the car and closed the door quietly, hoping to sneak up on him.

John Ross was just about to launch a football to Christopher when he saw her. He froze for a moment, then leaped from the pool.

“Mom!” He ran toward her.

Miss Ellie, who’d been buried in a book, removed her reading glasses to see what the commotion was about. “Sue Ellen! What a wonderful surprise!”

Sue Ellen folded John Ross into her arms, not minding that he was dripping wet from head to toe. “I have missed you…so very much,” she whispered.

“When did you get here?” he asked. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Just last night,” she replied, smiling. “I wanted to surprise you.”

“Miss Ellie,” Sue Ellen greeted her former mother-in-law.

Miss Ellie beamed at her. “You look absolutely stunning, Sue Ellen. Please, do come sit down. I was just about to have Teresa bring out some lemonade.”

The two ladies sat in silence for a moment. Sue Ellen’s heart was full. She had missed Miss Ellie, though she hadn’t realized how much until now. Their relationship went beyond mother-in-law/daughter-in-law. She had been a friend. An ally at the most turbulent of times. But most importantly, the older lady served as a surrogate mother to her for much of her adult life. She was the mother Sue Ellen had always wished she had.

“So, tell me all about London and what you’ve been up to. How long are you in town for?”

The truth was bound to come out eventually. Sue Ellen thought to herself, there’s no time like the present. Lowering her eyes to the table then back to Miss Ellie, she allowed her silence to do the speaking.

Reading between the quiet lines, Miss Ellie frowned. “Oh no, Sue Ellen. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay, Miss Ellie. Really. The important thing is I’m back with John Ross.”

John Ross, having toweled off, reappeared with Christopher in tow. “Want to come see the new computer Dad bought me? It’s awesome!”

“I would love nothing more.” And she meant it. “And Christopher, I was so excited I lost my manners. You look so grown up!”

Motioning toward the glass sliding door, Miss Ellie said, “You two run along. I know you have a lot of catching up to do.”

Sue Ellen’s grin returned then. “I think I’ll take you up on that, Miss Ellie.”

“Oh, one more thing. Please tell me you’ll stay for dinner. And don’t say no. I won’t have it.”

Assured there was no way she could turn down Miss Ellie’s invitation, Sue Ellen, though hesitant, agreed. “That would be lovely. I’d love to see everyone.”

She followed John Ross inside and up the stairs to his room. She noted the upstairs wallcoverings had changed, but everything else was very much the same as she remembered. The corridor seemed like a gallery of the past to her as she recalled which rooms belonged to whom. It wasn’t until her eyes fell on the door leading to JR’s room that she fully realized what her acceptance of Miss Ellie’s dinner invitation meant. There was a distinct possibility JR would be here, a reality that could make things very interesting.

Sue Ellen brushed the thought aside. Right now was about visiting John Ross. JR could be dealt with later.

The two of them spent the next couple of hours getting caught up. John Ross showed her his computer just as promised. Sue Ellen looked on, amused and proud as he showed her baseball trophies and school awards. He told her the stories behind each one of them and she listened with great interest. Though he’d shared a good deal of it via their frequent calls, getting to see some of his accomplishments in person made her feel she had been a part of it.

Their conversation eventually shifted to Don. John Ross did the listening while Sue Ellen told him she was divorcing him. She explained her reasons and he understood. She surmised he’d never developed an attachment to Don anyway.

“I’m just glad you’re here, Mom,” he’d said.

A quiet wave of gratitude washed over her. John Ross was so very mature for his age. And well-adjusted. Considering that much of his life had been spent in upheaval and turmoil, he could have gone in a far different direction. But he seemed to have inherited the most positive of hers and JR’s traits and none of the negative ones.

“So am I,” she agreed. “You have no idea how much. And I am just so proud of the young man you’re becoming.”

*****************************************************************************************************************​


Most everyone had already gathered in the living room for pre-dinner drinks by the time Sue Ellen and John Ross made their way back downstairs.

Clayton, however, was waiting for her as she descended the staircase. Face to face, he smiled at her. “Miss Ellie told me we were having a special dinner guest tonight but refused to tell me who. It’s so good to see you, Sue Ellen.”

“Hello, Clayton,” she smiled back. “The feeling is mutual.”

“Talk about a sight for sore eyes,” Bobby exclaimed when she entered the room, then admitted, “Mama let me in on the secret.”

“She wouldn’t take no for an answer,” Sue Ellen laughed, then turned to April. “It’s so nice to see you again, April. You’re looking just lovely.”

“It’s good to see you too, Sue Ellen.”

Bobby poured himself a bourbon. “Club soda for you, Sue Ellen?”

“Yes, that would be just fine.”

Bobby handed the club soda over to her and she took a seat in one of the silken wingback chairs, feeling a little overwhelmed. She was truly happy to see everyone. But she’d grown used to the quiet. Being alone. Perhaps a little too used to it. The people and faces colliding all at once, were overloading her senses.

Lucy showed up a little later, and they shared a few minutes of easy chatter. Lucy told her she’d been seeing someone new for a few months. “Maybe you can meet him sometime.”

“I’d really like that.”

The drinks continued to flow. Sue Ellen remained fully engaged in the conversations, much of which was focused on her. At least, she tried to. But she was preoccupied and, every now and again, she stole a glance at the door. JR had yet to appear.

At last, Teresa appeared in the doorway and announced dinner was served.

“Shall we?” Miss Ellie looked at the clock, and stood up from the sofa before commenting, “I suppose JR is running behind.”

Everyone fell in line behind Miss Ellie then and filtered into the dining room, as was tradition. Miss Ellie and Clayton took their places at each end of the table while everyone else slipped into their usual spots. Though she hadn’t been there for ages, somehow, it seemed natural in a way for Sue Ellen to occupy the seat that had always been hers, almost as if muscle memory led her to it. She sat down, cast a fleeting glance at the empty chair next to hers, and thought it entirely possible she’d be gone before JR showed up.

There was idle chatter around the table throughout the first course. No business talk, as was the rule. They had just begun the second course when Sue Ellen heard a voice calling out from the foyer.

“Sorry I’m late, Mama. Got held up at the office.”

Eating utensil in hand, Sue Ellen sat motionless and watched as he set his briefcase down near the foot of the staircase and placed his hat on the oaken hall tree.

“We have a dinner guest tonight, JR,” Miss Ellie called out to him, her wise eyes following him as he entered the room and saw Sue Ellen. Her voice becoming stern, she continued, “I trust you’ll be on your best behavior.”

They’d made a hasty exit from one another this morning. It had been a brief but pleasant goodbye. He had not lingered around, nor had she expected him to. She knew they both had hectic days ahead of them and understood. He’d even given her a light kiss before leaving. She hadn’t expected as much but was glad he did. In all their rush, however, they had both failed to consider there was a chance of them encountering each other at Southfork this evening or how they would handle it if it did happen. She was about to find out.

JR stopped in the doorway and scanned the table. His eyes fell on her. She straightened herself and held his gaze. For a moment, they were engaged in a standoff. Her mind returned to the previous night. In a flash, an image of his fingertips tracing her collarbone. Her pulse quickened as she anticipated how he would respond to her here. In front of his entire family. Which version of JR would she get tonight?

Cool and composed, she finally greeted him, “Hello JR.”

JR recovered himself, grunted a short reply as he took his seat. “Sue Ellen.”

His tone stung her a little. But Sue Ellen also knew he virtually had no choice. And he wasn’t really angry. At least, she didn’t think he was. He couldn’t exactly announce to everyone they’d run into one another last night and...well. She returned to her dinner and swept the room with her eyes. How ironic was this? To be seated here. On Southfork. Side by side. Same chairs they’d occupied countless times as husband and wife. Elbows nearly touching. Surrounded by family. And every single one of them was completely clueless about that wild and reckless night they’d shared just last night. A private smile tugged at her lips, unable to deny there was something wickedly satisfying about it.

JR kept his gaze fixed on the meal, cutting into his steak as he said to her, without looking up. “What brings you here, Sue Ellen? I guess that’s your fancy car parked outside?”

Sue Ellen sipped her tea. “Well, JR,” she began, sweetly. Then, feeling distinctly spicy, she added, “I like to move fast.”

He looked down at the table for a moment and cleared his throat. “Yeah, don’t I know it.”

“That’s enough, JR,” Clayton warned.

“Just an observation. Meant nothin’ by it.”

He went back to his dinner then. Sue Ellen thought of what was transpiring for a moment, then tucked her chin to her collar to disguise the inward giggle that was threatening to escape and continued eating.

“Are you looking to purchase a home in Dallas?” Miss Ellie asked, changing the subject.

“No,” Sue Ellen shook her head. “I don’t believe so. I’m picturing something out in the countryside. Something peaceful. Quiet.”

She paused for a moment. “A ranch, perhaps. Nothing as vast as Southfork, of course. But something with a great deal of privacy. A pool and stable for horses would be a bonus.”

JR interrupted, “Wait a minute. You’re buying a house here?”

She tilted her head toward him, quizzically. “Would that be a problem for you, JR?”

“No. No, I suppose not,” he replied. “It’d make the boy happy anyway.”

The charade continued to unfold throughout dinner. And Sue Ellen was greatly amused by it all. Her only regret was that she was seated directly next to JR, instead of across the table. The latter so she could watch the wheels turning as he fumbled to ask questions about things he already knew the answers to. She knew she shouldn’t, but she was having fun with the sophisticated, covert dance.

Bobby, wary of the conversation erupting, mentioned, “If that’s what you’re looking for, you might be interested in the Winthrop place. It’s gonna hit the market any day now. You may be able to get in an early offer.”

Sue Ellen’s ears perked. “Really? I always loved that place.”

“And you’d only be a few minutes from me,” John Ross interjected.

“It would be fantastic if I could find something near you, Darling. Then we could see one another all the time,” she smiled.

“Where are you staying right now, Sue Ellen?” April asked.

Sue Ellen noticed that JR had continued eating his dinner in silence, with no further acknowledgment of her presence beside him. Feeling a little more brazen, she thought perhaps she could prod him a little further and had a sudden yearning to see if she could get him to lose his composure a little.

With that in mind, she ever so slowly curled her ankle around JR’s under the table, giving him a sideways glance as she did. He froze mid-motion. Not yet finished, with a feather-light brush, she slid the bare skin of her calf along his shin. JR dropped his fork down to his plate.

Want to come out to play, JR?
She smiled at April, poised. “Downtown at The Elysia.”

“How nice,” Miss Ellie grinned. “That’s fairly new, isn’t it? But you know you’re always welcome here at Southfork until you find something permanent.”

“I appreciate that, Miss Ellie. And thank you for offering.” She meant it. “But my accommodations there will be just fine until I find a new place of my own.”

Not finished with JR yet, she turned to him then, innocently inquired, “Do you know of it, JR? The Elysia? I believe you can see it from the Ewing Building.”

In response, he rolled his eyes as he turned only his head in her direction. “Yes, Sue Ellen. I know. There isn’t a damn thing about Dallas I don’t already know.”

Despite his outward, ill-tempered appearance, Sue Ellen detected a little spark in his eye then. He was enjoying this too.

“Knock it off, JR,” Bobby warned from across the table.

Sue Ellen ignored Bobby’s rebuke of JR. She was enjoying the back and forth too much. Maybe a little too much.

Still, she was unable to resist softly prodding,” JR, if you don’t mind me saying…You look a little tired. Are you getting enough sleep?”

He simply looked at her then. The contrast between the strict line of his mouth and the twinkle in his eye was not lost on her. She knew she was torturing him. But there was something else. He liked it. Finally, he replied, dryly, “Your concern touches me, Sue Ellen. Truly.”

She supposed she should have felt guilty. Allowing Bobby and Clayton to come to her defense when, in truth, every word she and JR had spoken to one another at the table had been part of an impromptu, yet elaborate, performance. But it was justified. It protected their privacy. What happened last night was no one’s business but their own. It also protected their son. John Ross had always wanted his parents to be together. In the same home, living as a family. The slightest sign of something between her and JR might lead him to thinking there was a chance of reconciliation. She didn’t want to give him false hope.

*******************************************************************************************************​

Following dinner, there were more drinks in the living room. Along the way, Sue Ellen overheard Lucy behind her, muttering to herself.

“Typical Ewing family dinner. Full of drama.”

Unoffended by the jab, she gave herself a silent pat on the back. She and JR had pulled it off. No one suspected anything. Their secret would remain safe with them.

After a nightcap, everyone, one by one, excused themselves upstairs until only JR, Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie remained.

“Well, I really must be going. Thank you again for having me, Miss Ellie.”

“Anytime, Sue Ellen,” Miss Ellie smiled. “Promise you’ll come back for another visit soon.”

Sue Ellen returned her smile. “I promise.”

“I’ll walk you to your car, Sue Ellen,” JR offered, holding the door open.

Miss Ellie cast him a warning glance as if to say ‘Behave yourself’ before heading to her sleeping quarters. “Good night, Sue Ellen.”

“Good night, Miss Ellie.”

***************************************************************************************************​

JR and Sue Ellen walked quietly, without looking at one another, to her car. Slowly, side by side. He stole a quick look around. Feeling safe they weren’t being overheard, he finally broke the silence, “That was one helluva performance you put on in there just now.”

Sue Ellen looked at him, and saw his eyes were dancing. “There were a couple of moments where I thought I was going to burst out laughing.”

JR laughed out loud. “Yeah, especially the part about me getting’ enough sleep.”

She laughed along with him, shyly whispered, “I have to admit I was a little proud of that one.”

The two of them continued looking at each other. The shared laughter slowly dwindled until only their smiles remained.

In a soft voice, he remarked, “Well played, Sue Ellen.”

“Coming from the great JR Ewing, I take that as a compliment,” she grinned, aware she was flirting with him. “You were pretty impressive too.”

They had pulled it off. Together. And now they stood in the driveway beside her car. They would say goodbye. JR would retire to his room at Southfork and she would head out into the darkness, back to her penthouse in Dallas. Alone. It started to sink in. And there was a finality to it neither wished to acknowledge.

She put her hand on the door latch. “I guess…” She hesitated, her voice barely above a whisper. “I guess I better go.”

JR nodded his head toward her car. “I do like your new vehicle. It suits you.”

“I thought so too.” She ran one hand over the high back of the leather bucket seat. “Good night, JR.”

“I had a good time.”

His expression changed. It was his eyes. No longer dancing in mischief, she saw something different in them now. “I did too,” she whispered.

Sue Ellen sat down in the car then and pulled away from Southfork a little too quickly. Driving off into the night, her eyes darted back and forth from the windshield to the rearview mirror, watching his silhouette grow smaller and smaller behind her.

Keeping a tight grip on the steering wheel, she replayed the events of the last twenty-four hours in her mind. She thought of the chance meeting with him. Sitting on the terrace. Recognizing that, in spite of everything, she was still physically attracted to him and acting on it. The wild night that followed. Falling asleep with him. Waking up next to him. The sleepy, knowing smiles they shared when awakened by the morning sun piercing through. She’d had fun. Pure and unadulterated. And it had left her on an intense adrenaline high for over a day now.

But it was a one-night stand, nothing more. Sue Ellen had known what she was getting into. She had gotten exactly what she bargained for. Dammit.

Adjusting the radio dial in a futile attempt at pushing away the finality of it all, she whispered aloud, “Then why do I want to cry?”

It wasn’t that she’d become reattached to JR emotionally because of one night. He’d made no promises and she hadn’t asked for any.

She didn’t want his heart. She wanted the finely tuned physical chemistry they shared. She wanted the laughter. The fun. She didn’t regret their time together. She regretted it was over.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
You're doing a great job writing Sue Ellen. It is so in her character to brush aside the bad times with JR and miss the good times so much she's willing to take another leap.

Looking forward to more.
 
Top