Sallie Patrick - the Cynthia Cidre of nuDynasty

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
5
Yes, but these things they must take into account BEFORE starting a reeboot of that kind. So either they're very convinced of their project, .. or just pretty stupid. Remains to be seen soon, which of those is the case here. :D
 
Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
More than a little waffle in that to be honest. Atlanta wasn't a creative choice no matter how they try and dress it up.

I imagine that they were given maybe a number of choices where they could film (perhaps Atlanta, Vancouver or California or something like that) and they choose Atlanta. But yeah, I don't think it was a creative choice as such - CW survives on making things on a budget lower than other networks and I imagine that they looked at where they could get decent tax breaks. I don't think it's bad as such as they're actually in the location that they're supposed to be so I can only hope they take advantage of that.
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
The thing is, what's better? A show that incorporates the old and new by having some of the originals in it like Dallas did (albeit not enough of the originals), or a show which decides to start anew using the same basic outline which is what Dynasty is doing? IMO, either way you're going to have original viewers tuning in for the pilot to see how it's done and then making a judgement on whether it's actually worth continuing to watch. Dallas lost a huge amount of viewers from the first to second episode and from then on. Dynasty might end up with the same thing happening, where old fans tune in looking to see how they've redone it and then deciding actually it's just like any other modern original drama and they've really just slapped the name Dallas or Dynasty onto it rather than recreating the original feeling of the original show.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Shade towards TNT Dallas? Esther - like most of us passionate Dallas fans - had an opinion. I get her thoughts when she said, "I looked at “Dallas,” and they had a whole bunch of second- and third-generation people that the audience didn’t know, didn’t care about. They kept asking, where’s Larry Hagman?"

Others were asking the same question. I still argue TNT Dallas should have been built on the strong foundation of JR, Sue Ellen and Bobby. For the continuation to work it was the only way forward. Dynasty 2.0 has the luxury of starting something anew. Sure the oldies will compare the newbie with the oldie, that will be our natural instant but at least the current producers are prepared to give it a shot without the additional baggage of that 80's long lost cousin. We never know. It may surprise us. I hope it works for those passionate about primetime soaps.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
You know, I keep looking at the title of the thread, and say what you want about nuDYNASTY (I have and plan to say even more) but it doesn't have the same flaws Cidre's DALLAS had. It has other flaws, but it is trying to respect the original and the original's viewers. It may not understand the original characters, or maybe it does and does not care to reproduce these characters ("modernize," per Esther-the-spin-queen), but it has stayed within the genre and has shown respect for the show's history and iconic moments, even lines.
 

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
You know, I keep looking at the title of the thread, and say what you want about nuDYNASTY (I have and plan to say even more) but it doesn't have the same flaws Cidre's DALLAS had. It has other flaws, but it is trying to respect the original and the original's viewers. It may not understand the original characters, or maybe it does and does not care to reproduce these characters ("modernize," per Esther-the-spin-queen), but it has stayed within the genre and has shown respect for the show's history and iconic moments, even lines.

I think it's quite simply that these writers seem to have actually watched their source material. And we see these small throwbacks towards the old show and it's... very satisfying (such as Sammy Jo still being a glutton).

Not that nuDynasty hasn't its own faults, but most of those are actually down to it being modernized and no writer can help things like "not having a theme tune" and "I wrote my OWN Dynasty scripts as it was in the 80s" critiscism.

The worst thing I can say about nuDynasty is that it's sort of basic. Too safe. They need to take a risk which will inevitably divide people.
 
Last edited:
Top