I was really surprised to read that Floss was only on H&A for one year (bar her guest stints in the 00’s). She’s one of my main memories from the show’s early period, although that’s probably testament to Sheila Kennelly’s portrayal of her.
Yes - it did feel like longer and I'm sure you're right about the reason. She left a big mark on the series from the beginning, and added some colour without getting daft or annoying (as Lance and Martin could).
Really, Floss's tarot prediction in the pilot (about Bobby being the death of one of the Fletchers) seems like too much on paper, but it was sold so brilliantly it really worked (apparently, her
Number 96 co-star Elaine Lee taught Sheila how to read tarot cards for the role of Floss). I also enjoyed the stuff with her becoming a nanny to her snooty grandson who had been told his grandparents were dead.
The reason for Floss and Neville being axed from the series - so that the series could focus more on younger characters - was a really poor show. I don't believe I ever saw any of her returns, as they began almost a decade later and I'd long since moved on from the series.