I find the wranglings and politics somewhat fascinating.
I know this fascination. In Germany there is Jimmy Swaggart's Sonlife Broadcast Network on Cable TV. I was never interested in the channel, but all of a sudden I got stuck when switching through, maybe it was the hate speech that caught me. I've never really understood why American Christians are so enthusiastic about Trump, even today. The Swaggarts' sermons and Jimmy Swaggart's wife Frances' call-in show "Frances & Friends" opened my eyes to the subject. However, it seems to me that politicians are being used by televangelists in the same way as vice versa, so it's a win-win - or a lose-lose for the rest of the USA.
Besides the Swaggarts, I only know Joyce Meyer, who airs on a German Bible channel, but I haven't watched enough of her preachings to get a serious opinion. When I tune in, I don't really hear any hate speech, so I quickly lose interest in what she is saying. It's really bad that hate speech of all things makes me listen to a pastor, which brings me back to the Swaggarts. Jimmy Swaggart had built a church for 4000 people that still services today, but I reckon maybe only 100 people are sitting there in the front rows, the upper tiers are all empty. Homosexuality is condemned in the sermons, but there is always little applause from the audience, which gives me hope that even America's Christian conservatives are changing.
When it comes to how televangelists are portrayed in fiction, I liked the dynamic between Joshua Rush and his father. At least it didn't strike me as unrealistic, unlike Filthy Rich. Still, I would like to know how televangelists really are. How do they think? The Swaggarts have luxurious homes. Maintaining this costs a lot of money every month, what could have been done with this money in the name of their own church for those in need? I wonder how they can justify that to themselves if they call themselves good Christians? Or do they just have faith in God that if they should stop living the good life, he will take it away from them and until this day they're gonna to enjoy it?
I'm amazed that despite all the scandals in the catholic church and the me too campaign, nothing of the sort has come to light about televangelists. Either they must be very decent, or their victims will be silenced, recognizing that a scandal would harm the Church and thus all those in need supported by the Church.