The Conundrum of Peach DYNASTY

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Warning: Spoilers about Season 2 episode 1 included

As a fan of the authentic DYNASTY, I have been on a roller-coaster of reactions regarding the peach reboot. In more than the first half of season one, I hated it, and in fact after the first 4-5 episodes I gave up on it. Then with the hoopla around Alexis showing up I went back to sample it, and I found it improved over the gigantic mess of season 1A. There were some more genuine character interactions, and some nice twists, including the Liam and Adam ones. But with the opening of season 2, all of the show's problems and small saving graces are again leaving me unable to decide if it deserves a place on my DVR schedule.

On the one hand, yes that is not Cidre's TNT Dallas who had an obvious s@@ew you attitude toward the old show, its fans, and the genre in general. This team has pored over the original and they throw little crumbs every now and then (the new Cristal being the latest one) to show that they want to stay in that tradition. But at the same time, I feel like their nods are almost the equivalent of someone ordering a huge burger with bacon and cheese and a gigantic order of fries and then asking for a light soda to balance the calories: in other words, it feels perfunctory.

Take, for instance, Alexis. I did not expect anything like Joan Collins, although there have been other characters who have played bitches to a grand degree of satisfaction (from Beecham as Sable to Madeleine Stowe on Revenge). But Sheridan's version, whether that be the writers or her or a combination, is a laughable cartoon and hardly a force to be reckoned with. If the show wanted comedic relief, there were so many other characters to do that with--if of course they decided to do it well. Whether intentional or not with her trailer park life, she has become the poor man's Alexis.

Then, we have Blake. Was the Blake of that episode a patriarch? He was a petulant teenager, and that moniker can be applied to so many of the show's characters which brings me to a deeper problem: we don't have a sense of what these characters can and can't do because anything goes and anyone can do anything. Good drama ensues when an established character is forced to go against their conscience, for instance. But Steven has lied so many times before (Ted Dinard, his drug addiction, etc.) that his latest lie is as noticeable as a cold.

The only one that seems to be developing a little is Fallon, who appears really committed to Culhane and knows herself enough to want to avoid temptations in her way. How long that will last, is anyone's guess.

As for the Colbys and Kirby, I hope they find some story for them more than the two of them hooking up and Anders turning red. The Colbys have already been neutered to an alarming degree with the latest parentage twists, and unless their mother is brought in soon they will stay as irrelevant as they were for most of season 1B.

So which DYNASTY is the show paying homage to? If it's not classic DYNASTY of seasons 1,2,3 and 9 because its characters are tragically inconsistent and ill-defined, is it DYNASTY of seasons 4,5,6? If that is the case, for all its storytelling problems in these seasons, the show back then was both reflecting an era and shaping it in many superficial areas like fashion. But I am not seeing the CW version doing that.

So I guess I will wait to see if things go north or south in the next few episodes. I hope the show's filming location is not an omen.
 
Last edited:

Soapwriter12

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Seasons 4 to 6, as those are the seasons that made the biggest impressions on the showrunner, with the rest of the seasons being easter eggs.

It's dynasty if you go by the popular impression it made at the time.
 

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
0
 
Awards
5
I didn't see Blake as a petulant teenager; I saw him as a man struggling with profound grief and guilt who hoped he could turn to his children for support only to have them both disappoint him. I was touched by his genuine affection for Sam.

The Shapiros originally conceived Blake's ex-wife as a passive-aggressive shrew named Madeleine; once Joan Collins was cast the character was adapted to suit Collins' talents. I think the producers of Peach Dynasty have similarly adapted the character of Alexis to suit Nicolette Sheridan's talents. I don't even think of Sheridan's character as a reboot of Collins' Alexis; I think of her as Sammy Jo: a blonde, conniving, money-grubbing tramp dressed in tacky clothes. I think trying to duplicate the original series would be a loosing proposition and the only possible way to duplicate Alexis would be to cast Kate Beckinsale (not very likely) and dress her in vintage Nolan Miller.

The producers of Peach Dynasty adapted an old recipe to create something new. Some people like crisp chocolate chip cookies; some people prefer chewy. I like both.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
I didn't see Blake as a petulant teenager; I saw him as a man struggling with profound grief and guilt who hoped he could turn to his children for support only to have them both disappoint him. I was touched by his genuine affection for Sam.

The Shapiros originally conceived Blake's ex-wife as a passive-aggressive shrew named Madeleine; once Joan Collins was cast the character was adapted to suit Collins' talents. I think the producers of Peach Dynasty have similarly adapted the character of Alexis to suit Nicolette Sheridan's talents. I don't even think of Sheridan's character as a reboot of Collins' Alexis; I think of her as Sammy Jo: a blonde, conniving, money-grubbing tramp dressed in tacky clothes. I think trying to duplicate the original series would be a loosing proposition and the only possible way to duplicate Alexis would be to cast Kate Beckinsale (not very likely) and dress her in vintage Nolan Miller.

The producers of Peach Dynasty adapted an old recipe to create something new. Some people like crisp chocolate chip cookies; some people prefer chewy. I like both.
I just hate nu-Alexis' back story. It's so undynastic.
 

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
5
I don't even think of Sheridan's character as a reboot of Collins' Alexis; I think of her as Sammy Jo: a blonde, conniving, money-grubbing tramp dressed in tacky clothes. I think trying to duplicate the original series would be a loosing proposition and the only possible way to duplicate Alexis would be to cast Kate Beckinsale (not very likely) and dress her in vintage Nolan Miller.

The producers of Peach Dynasty adapted an old recipe to create something new.

And rightfully so. If i'd want to see original Dynasty, i'd watch original Dynasty. There's no need for a carbon copy with exactly the same persons and (back)storys when it already exists, that's not the task of a reboot.
 
Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Take, for instance, Alexis. I did not expect anything like Joan Collins, although there have been other characters who have played bitches to a grand degree of satisfaction (from Beecham as Sable to Madeleine Stowe on Revenge). But Sheridan's version, whether that be the writers or her or a combination, is a laughable cartoon and hardly a force to be reckoned with. If the show wanted comedic relief, there were so many other characters to do that with--if of course they decided to do it well. Whether intentional or not with her trailer park life, she has become the poor man's Alexis.

After just watching the return season episode it's my opinion the one character preventing this series from moving forward is Alexis. She offers nothing of value. I believe it's both the writers fault and the producers casting Nicollette Sheridan. I don't get the comedy routine the writers are attempting with Alexis; from her hospital bed scene and that hideous bun on her forehead or her run-ins with the dim-witted baboon of a sidekick. It's a major distraction. In fact if someone was to edit all scenes concerning Alexis from this opening episode it would actually be really enjoyable. And that is a crying shame. I didn't wish this version of Alexis to be anything like the original, I mean how do you replicate perfection, à la Dame Joan Collins. But I wish the producers had cast their eyes further afield, preferably a slick English actress, someone who can deliver that ice cold delivery the character of Alexis so deserves.

Epsiode Score: B-
 

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
4
@Rove Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. This is simply a variation of her Edie Britt character from Desperate Housewives. There's absolutely nothing evil, suspenseful or threatening about this Alexis. She's there to provide a comic relief and I wouldn't be against it if this comedy had some kind of substance. There's not much of a personality, she's just a trashy washed up lady. I was excited when they announced Sheridan's casting last year because I thought she would be this posh socialite with great lines and delightful English accent who would stop at nothing. What a disappointment, she's even more of a joke than she was last season.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
This is simply a variation of her Edie Britt character from Desperate Housewives.
That said. I enjoyed Nicolette's appearance on Desperate Housewives. There was a dry, kind of cutting delivery to her lines. On Peach Dynasty she looks like some washed up drag queen on steroids. And Nicolette using that slightly high pitch delivery is not helping.

Side note. I'm happy to see Bo (the dog) given some decent air time. His deliveries are pitch perfect.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
we don't have a sense of what these characters can and can't do because anything goes and anyone can do anything
True. There's no sense of hierarchy.
What I liked about NuDallas' next generation is that they thought they were ready to take over, but they often failed. They still had a lot to learn, they were not on the same level as the old-timers.

But NuDynasty is a very different show.
Actually I don't mind the character changes (I like this boy-ish version of Blake) I just wish they'd do it more consistently and make the characters (for want of a better word) more characteristic.
If this is supposed to be a guilty pleasure then I want it to be guiltier.
 
Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
If this is supposed to be a guilty pleasure then I want it to be guiltier.
And that is what this Dynasty is missing. Original Dallas had it, so did Dynasty. Another one which springs to mind was Melrose Place. Three examples of what guilty viewing means. But this version is missing an ingredient. I challenge anyone here to offer that magic formulae...and rightfully contact the producers of Nu-Dynasty...for a fee of course ;)
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I didn't see Blake as a petulant teenager; I saw him as a man struggling with profound grief and guilt who hoped he could turn to his children for support only to have them both disappoint him. I was touched by his genuine affection for Sam.

He was good with Sam, over guilt for Cristal. But we have seen Blake act like a petulant teenager before in view of grief, when his father died and Anders had to smack him back to reality.

The Shapiros originally conceived Blake's ex-wife as a passive-aggressive shrew named Madeleine; once Joan Collins was cast the character was adapted to suit Collins' talents. I think the producers of Peach Dynasty have similarly adapted the character of Alexis to suit Nicolette Sheridan's talents. I don't even think of Sheridan's character as a reboot of Collins' Alexis; I think of her as Sammy Jo: a blonde, conniving, money-grubbing tramp dressed in tacky clothes. I think trying to duplicate the original series would be a loosing proposition and the only possible way to duplicate Alexis would be to cast Kate Beckinsale (not very likely) and dress her in vintage Nolan Miller.
The Shapiros' Madeleine had already been replaced by the Pollocks' Alexis and written for many episodes before Joan Collins started filming. I think the adjustment happened in later episodes, although I don't know if it was still on paper or if it was the way Collins would interpret the role, which can make or break any character. But I agree that this Alexis reminds me nothing of the original Alexis, and as @Alexis said, I hate her lack of money and trailer trash back story.

The producers of Peach Dynasty adapted an old recipe to create something new. Some people like crisp chocolate chip cookies; some people prefer chewy. I like both.
And rightfully so. If i'd want to see original Dynasty, i'd watch original Dynasty. There's no need for a carbon copy with exactly the same persons and (back)storys when it already exists, that's not the task of a reboot.

I am a fan of a show (BATTLESTAR GALACTICA) that proved not only that you can do a reboot well, but that you can do it so well you can put the original to shame--and they did not simply change the story or make a character a different race, but they took a core key character and turned him into a woman. Yet they kept the essence of the story. So, I like both kinds of cookies too, as long as they rise and don't fall flat. :D

After just watching the return season episode it's my opinion the one character preventing this series from moving forward is Alexis. She offers nothing of value.
And isn't that a shame for a character that put the original on the cultural map.

Actually I don't mind the character changes (I like this boy-ish version of Blake) I just wish they'd do it more consistently and make the characters (for want of a better word) more characteristic.

I liked Grant Shaw's casting as Blake, but if he weren't going to be a patriarch they shouldn't have set him up so early on. And I am completely with you on character consistency. Then again, I know what a CW soap is like (see GOSSIP GIRL) and consistency is not what they know how to do. Sudden 180 degree sharp turns every few episodes is more their game.
 
Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
I hate her lack of money and trailer trash back story.
Carrington's house is build on land previously owned by Alexis' family, so it's not like she came from nothing.
I don't remember the details regarding the divorce settlement, but I don't think it's a monthly allowance? Maybe she just spent all the money or made some bad investements.
Either way, I've interpreted her trailer life as something of the more recent past.

She did inherit the Carrington mansion and then Fallon simply sabotaged it by blackmailing the executive-testamentaire or was it the doctor who had to vouch for Tom's sanity.
So, in just one short sentence she lost that money (money that Blake could have paid her if he wanted to keep the mansion to himself) and it didn't seem to bother her very much.
Of course she had bigger plans with FakeAdam and Carrington-Atlanta.
but if he weren't going to be a patriarch they shouldn't have set him up so early on
And Alexis was introduced as Satan's bride in fabulous high heels.
They don't deliver what they promise, or don't know how. I also get the idea that they mostly invest in Fallon, and all the others are just sidekicks, especially Alexis.
Well I guess that was to be expected, considering CW's target audience, but that doesn't make it less jarring.

Having said that, I do like the clips posted by @Ked, I guess my endless craving for "anything" Dynasty makes me a sitting duck.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
I just hate nu-Alexis' back story. It's so undynastic.
It's just all wrong. Alexis should have more class, more taste than Blake. She should know of all the social graces and skills. Dripping in style and self assured confidence, all part of her upper class British upbringing. She was moulded into the role of lady of the manor from birth.

I don like this new take on Alexis at all. I downgrades the entire thing.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
It's just all wrong. Alexis should have more class, more taste than Blake. She should know of all the social graces and skills. Dripping in style and self assured confidence, all part of her upper class British upbringing. She was moulded into the role of lady of the manor from birth.

In Season Two's "The Miscarriage" Alexis makes the remark that Krystle wasn't "to the saddle born." When Joseph tries to cut her down by stating her own father was a hatter, she tells him if he had researched further he would have found out he was a hatter "by appointment to His majesty, the King. Very special hats Joseph. So put that on your tedious head and wear it."
 

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
NS's Alexis was dressed more traditionally and acting differently (that is, cunning but not obvious about it) in the flashbacks we saw last season, which makes me think they wanted us to believe being exiled is what made her turn into this current Alexis (money-grubbing, amoral, tacky). The problem I have with this current Alexis is that even if they handed her a truckload of money through some plot development, they could not make her suddenly re-develop class, tone down her outfits, and (most importantly) be taken seriously. The horse has left the barn, so to speak.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
NS's Alexis was dressed more traditionally and acting differently (that is, cunning but not obvious about it) in the flashbacks we saw last season, which makes me think they wanted us to believe being exiled is what made her turn into this current Alexis (money-grubbing, amoral, tacky). The problem I have with this current Alexis is that even if they handed her a truckload of money through some plot development, they could not make her suddenly re-develop class, tone down her outfits, and (most importantly) be taken seriously. The horse has left the barn, so to speak.
I just posted virtually the same thing in Season Two episode thread. It doesn't make any sense.
 
Top