Tried Watching GOSSIP GIRL..... Failed.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
I decided to try and watch GOSSIP GIRL since it's all on Netflix. I thought it would give me a kind of feel for what to expect from this new DYNASTY reboot. There are things that really work well for the show. The New York setting looks gorgeous, rich and real. The cast are mostly likable and actually good actors. The whole world of those bratty rich gorgeous kids at prep schools and attending all those glitzy events is very actually DYNASTY. What just ruins everything is that God damn voice over narration from Veronica Mars, sounding like stupid idiot cheerleading bimbot! It's disgusting, and she keeps chirping away over the top of scenes. Some that would beautiful and layered and dramatic, but They are just ruined by the inane chirping from Gossip Girl xoxo. DIE.. Now! The drama is not heightened by the silly narration. It's obliterated. You are actually being told what is happening, while actors are acting out the scene!
It's so annoying. Every single character is on their phone 24/7. Sweet Jesus... I put up with that all day from real people. It's not fascinating to watch fictional characters do it.

Another horrifically distracting and annoying thing about the show is that Gawd awful music. The over use of real songs, that annoying guitar hipster crap. There is just no need. I hope that they don't do this with nuDynasty. Over use of pop songs in a TV show is nauseating and distracting.

I made about 15 minutes in and had to stop watching. It's worse than the really bad parts of THE O.C. Which is sad as as I said I liked most of the cast. I thought that Leighton Meester and Blake Lively were very good. I did think Chace Crawford would make a good Jeff @Ked. And I liked Kelly Rutherford.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
It's so annoying. Every single character is on their phone 24/7. I put up with that all day from real people. It's not fascinating to watch fictional characters do it.

You know something ironic? From what I heard, GOSSIPGIRL came out right before it became commonplace for everybody to be on their phones. It also came out right before Facebook was common too. So the show is credited for setting a lot of trends today. lol

I decided to try and watch GOSSIP GIRL since it's all on Netflix. I thought it would give me a kind of feel for what to expect from this new DYNASTY reboot. There are things that really work well for the show. The New York setting looks gorgeous, rich and real. The cast are mostly likable and actually good actors. The whole world of those bratty rich gorgeous kids at prep schools and attending all those glitzy events is very actually DYNASTY.

Yes, there are all the good things that need to happen on NuDynasty. :D

What just ruins everything is that damn voice over narration from Veronica Mars, sounding like stupid idiot cheerleading bimbot! It's disgusting, and she keeps chirping away over the top of scenes. Some that would beautiful and layered and dramatic, but They are just ruined by the inane chirping from Gossip Girl xoxo. DIE.. Now! The drama is not heightened by the silly narration. It's obliterated. You are actually being told what is happening, while actors are acting out the scene!

Meh, the voice over never bothered me, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that for NuDynasty. There's no reason for there to be a voice over. With GOSSIPGIRL, there arguably was. So yeah. :)

Another horrifically distracting and annoying thing about the show is that Gawd awful music. The over use of real songs, that annoying guitar hipster crap. There is just no need. I hope that they don't do this with nuDynasty. Over use of pop songs in a TV show is nauseating and distracting.

That never bothered me either, but then again, this is a show meant for teenagers. Stands to reason there'd be pop music and such. However, there's still a possibility that won't be the case for NuDynasty. But, try and brace yourself on this one, juuuust in case. ;)

I made about 15 minutes in and had to stop watching. It's worse than the really bad parts of THE O.C. Which is sad as as I said I liked most of the cast. I thought that Leighton Meester and Blake Lively were very good. I did think Chace Crawford would make a good Jeff @Ked. And I liked Kelly Rutherford.

You just watched 15 minutes of the first episode? Wimp. ;)lol Haha, kidding. Well, you didn't miss much. I do recommend looking up a few episode promos, those tended to be better than the actual episodes. Sad as that may sound. lol

But yeah, Meester and Lively were very much the Collins and Evans of the show. :)

And thanks, yeah, Crawford would make a good Jeff. Nate was very much a Jeff type.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
And this is the series' best catfight, which is kinda sad in retrospect:


And this is the filming of that very catfight:


Although this catfight scene was rather unique and interesting:


I'd like to see something like this in NuDynasty, where one woman tries to pit two other women against one another, only for them to stage a fake fight in order to publicly reveal the first woman for the conniver she really is. Not sure how that could play out, but, still its fun to think about. X)
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
this is a show that doesn't look like something i'd like either. i think the only reason i'd watch it was because Kirsten Belle does the voice over but even than it wasn't for me. still to each their own ya know?
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
this is a show that doesn't look like something i'd like either. i think the only reason i'd watch it was because Kirsten Belle does the voice over but even than it wasn't for me. still to each their own ya know?

Right. Its not for everyone. Even I got tired of the show after a while.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
sometimes that happens i guess. like i can't stand game of thrones, why? because it's not something that is up my ally. for others that's a show they love and that's fine. but stuff like that just bores me. that's why i always say to each their own cause it has it's fans and that's fine. it just isn't a show that is up my ally that's all
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
sometimes that happens i guess. like i can't stand game of thrones, why? because it's not something that is up my ally. for others that's a show they love and that's fine. but stuff like that just bores me. that's why i always say to each their own cause it has it's fans and that's fine. it just isn't a show that is up my ally that's all

I watched the first season and the first episode of the second season, and then realized I didn't like the show at all. Sure, there were interesting elements, characters and moments, but overall, I found it charmless. There were way too many jerks, way too many death scenes, it just... didn't charm me, y'know? But oh well, I still love the intro, and I do wish the series well. I mean, the show didn't jade me, so that's good at any rate. lol
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
my dad likes to say to me, cause he likes the show, that it goes over my head. i said uh no it's not that, it's because it's just not my cup of tea to use an old saying. it's not that it goes over my head, it's just that i've never been into shows like that before that's all. sure if a movie like that comes out and it has a cast i like, or if someone i'm fan of works on it in some way. i'lll watch it, or if it looks good too, i'll watch it but tv shows? naw it's not my type of show. and thank god there's someone else who agrees with me. have you seen the length of those books? my god are they long! yeah i know talk about gossip girl isn't what we are talking about, but it all goes the same thing, some shows can nab at ya and pull ya in. and others you just stay the hell away from that's all we are saying
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
my dad likes to say to me, cause he likes the show, that it goes over my head. i said uh no it's not that, it's because it's just not my cup of tea to use an old saying. it's not that it goes over my head, it's just that i've never been into shows like that before that's all. sure if a movie like that comes out and it has a cast i like, or if someone i'm fan of works on it in some way. i'lll watch it, or if it looks good too, i'll watch it but tv shows? naw it's not my type of show. and thank god there's someone else who agrees with me. have you seen the length of those books? my god are they long! yeah i know talk about gossip girl isn't what we are talking about, but it all goes the same thing, some shows can nab at ya and pull ya in. and others you just stay the hell away from that's all we are saying

I actually haven't seen the books. lol And I really mean that, I have never seen a Game of Thrones book in a single bookstore (course I only go into a Barnes & Noble on occasion). The longest-looking books that I've ever seen were the Harry Potter ones, and those pulled me in just fine.

But heh, yeah, we're getting a little off subject here. But you summed it up: sometimes shows draw you in, sometimes they don't. That's all. :)
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
they aren't called games of thrones by the way, check out wikipedia on how thick those suckers are. no joke, as for tv shows, to name another CW show Reign that's one that just doens't appeal to me either. it doesn't look like a bad show to be fair. it's just not my type of show. another CW show Beauty and the beast i refuse to watch that one because having a scar on your face whlie you look like a model kinda defeats the purpose of the show. now check out the 80's show that's a great show. though the ugly mother they used for the show didn't need the make-up he was that ugly though a great actor.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
another CW show Beauty and the beast i refuse to watch that one because having a scar on your face whlie you look like a model kinda defeats the purpose of the show. now check out the 80's show that's a great show. though the ugly mother they used for the show didn't need the make-up he was that ugly though a great actor.

I didn't watch the CW's Beauty and the Beast because the actress played Lana on Smallville, and I *hated* Lana. So therefore I'm biased against the actress. lol I know I shouldn't, but... I can't help it.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
i've done that too , to be honest,i can't stand Channing Tatum but i've watched some of his movies, and not because of his but because other people he's acted with. so i am forced to put up with him. i've done that with tv shows as well
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Serena pushed Blair face first into a cake once too.
I don't think the catfights were nearly as front and centre as they were on Dynasty, but they also weren't really supposed to be. B & S were much more frenemies than Krystle and Alexis, K & S didn't have a friendship element.
Gossip Girl was a good show for it's core audience. Some parts toward the middle and end became a bit too boring/stupid/unbelievable, but for what it was, a teen drama, it definitely hit it's mark.
Dynasty (original) has a different audience than GG to begin with; the new Dynasty show will need to make it's own mark, it cannot be a GG 2.0 and it cannot be a straight remake of the original (there are a number of things that may not translate well). I do think if it's done well though, new Dynasty could very well have a new audience as well as keeping the original viewers.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I just hope the new DYNASTY isn't geared at that GOSSIP GIRL audience.

I doubt it. GOSSIP GIRL was centered around a cast of teens. DYNASTY will have a cast of 20-somethings and 40-somethings. Different character types equal different audiences.
 

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
2
It was Dynasty redux in ways. They even brought in Tika Sumpter to essentially play Dominique halfway through the series. lol
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Blair did seem to have traces of Fallon, if Fallon was an only child, and she was still in school.

Blair was a mixture of both Fallon and Alexis, or at least that's how I've seen it. Serena was of course the Krystle of the show: started off an interesting character but then became stepfordized and idiotic. :(
 
Top