VIDEO: Trailer

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
My concern regarding the Dynasty pilot episode is it will be too much for people to absorb and may move on, never to return
Allow the characters to bed in
But time is the enemy, and slow-paced drama is a luxury most show creators can't afford.

We had the beautiful season 1, and as a result:
-many fans find it slow and boring (believe it or not!)
-the network considered it a failure (I never knew this until I read it on this forum).

I think that, in this day and age, TV pilots have to capture the essence of the story, in a spectacular way.
Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to sell their product. The alternative is: no NuDynasty at all.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
But time is the enemy, and slow-paced drama is a luxury most show creators can't afford.

We had the beautiful season 1, and as a result:
-many fans find it slow and boring (believe it or not!)
-the network considered it a failure (I never knew this until I read it on this forum).

I think that, in this day and age, TV pilots have to capture the essence of the story, in a spectacular way.
Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to sell their product. The alternative is: no NuDynasty at all.

I am guessing those fans who find it slow and boring find season 5 exciting, which is the season when Dynasty completely lost it, investing in dead-end storylines concocted by Camille Marchetta of Moldavia (and Dallas) fame. People keep saying the Moldavia cliffhanger was the letdown, but where was that storyline going to end up other than a break-up or a new core character leaving the show's center stage?

The problem with season 1 (whose average ratings would have been fine for other shows) was that ABC wanted a huge top ten hit, and they wanted it on demand, and believed the Shapiros and Spelling would deliver it as if it were painting by numbers. When Dallas creators put on their show, they just had an interesting story they wanted to tell, not a ratings goal to reach. The Shapiros did have such a story too, but they subscribed to the hype of the Spelling/ABC publicity machine and shot themselves in the foot. CW has no other show it currently has to beat. It is in the ratings dumpster, so it can afford to put on a show which will be good and enticing rather than quick cheap thrills.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
was that ABC wanted a huge top ten hit, and they wanted it on demand, and believed the Shapiros and Spelling would deliver it as if it were painting by numbers.
And Dynasty was simply a ploy to foil the mega hit CBS already had their hands with Dallas reaching #1 in the ratings by the time Dynasty rolled around. I had no problem with the pacing of Dynasty in Season 1 as it allowed me to get to know the characters rather than having them thrust down my throat. So, by the time Alexis arrived in that court scene at the end of season 1 I understood the character traits of the Carrington household. While not your typical end of season cliffhanger, the "that's my mother" added an air of mystery and dread for what was to come.

But time is the enemy, and slow-paced drama is a luxury most show creators can't afford.

But at what cost? I consider Dallas and Dynasty both adult contemporary shows. Depending on the story pacing can be intentionally slow or ratcheted up a notch. Many posters on this forum (me included) complained about the fast paced, over-bearing plot driven stories of TNT Dallas and it failed. From the CW trailer of Dynasty I'm getting that same vibe. I've complained numerous times regarding the nature of tight editing, that sipid use of zooming in on faces and jittery camera held photography. Sometimes those behind the scenes get too clever.

When I picture a world like Dynasty I expect to see grand sweeping shots, depth of field, a sumptuous luxury feel to the production. Clever dialogue. What I got from that 4 minute 15 second clip was a bunch of trailer trash characters living in surroundings that had better painted walls.

One more thing. Caught up with a old friend yesterday. She was a huge fan of original Dynasty, from beginning to end while I was the fan of Dallas. Today we still debate which was the better show. I asked her whether she had seen the new trailer. Her response in two words, "Train wreck."
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
When I picture a world like Dynasty I expect
That's great, but that version doesn't exist.

This is the only thing we'll get. This is it.
I'd watch anything DYNASTY related. 1 spin-off or 20, fanmade YouTube clips, interviews, I even liked the Guilty Pleasure movie.
Everything.

Except the reunion movie. That was bad, really bad - especially the ending. Thank God it's not available on DVD, otherwise I'd feel obliged to buy it in order to complete the collection!

But anyway.
The most important thing right now is to get it started, and hopefully it will last long enough to form an opinion about the show, and not just the trailer.

upload_2017-5-23_0-19-8.png

Bring it on!
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
That's great, but that version doesn't exist.

This is the only thing we'll get. This is it.
I'd watch anything DYNASTY related. 1 spin-off or 20, fanmade YouTube clips, interviews, I even liked the Guilty Pleasure movie.
Everything.

Except the reunion movie. That was bad, really bad - especially the ending. Thank God it's not available on DVD, otherwise I'd feel obliged to buy it in order to complete the collection!

But anyway.
The most important thing right now is to get it started, and hopefully it will last long enough to form an opinion about the show, and not just the trailer.

View attachment 3928

Bring it on!

:clap:
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
@Willie Oleson , I discovered an fun fact you might be interested in: there was a 24 year age difference between John Forsythe and Linda Evans. There's a 23 year age difference between Grant Show and Nathalie Kelley. ^^
 

Attachments

  • bk12.jpg
    bk12.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
5
:lol:
 

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
2
That's great, but that version doesn't exist.

This is the only thing we'll get. This is it.
I'd watch anything DYNASTY related. 1 spin-off or 20, fanmade YouTube clips, interviews, I even liked the Guilty Pleasure movie.
Everything.

Except the reunion movie. That was bad, really bad - especially the ending. Thank God it's not available on DVD, otherwise I'd feel obliged to buy it in order to complete the collection!

But anyway.
The most important thing right now is to get it started, and hopefully it will last long enough to form an opinion about the show, and not just the trailer.

View attachment 3928

Bring it on!

Looks like we're the 1% of the NuDynasty Lovers against the 99% of haters here... :clap:
 

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
The trailer has now been watched almost 800,000 times. So, how does The CW audience feel about it? Judging by the top-rated comments listed bellow, it seems most of the people watching it will be the fans of Gillies and Kelley who would watch anything they're in. Here are the comments that got most of the up-votes (300-1000):

"That moment when the show about wealthiest families looks poor."

"I love the main actress but this looks so so bad"

"Either this show is really shitty or the person who usually cuts the trailers was on holiday and the intern had to do it."

"Sybil!"

"Who is watching this show cause of Liz????"

"It'll probably get canned next year but happy for Liz who is a great actress."

"No. Just no. Haven't you learned anything from 90210 and Melrose Place? Silly CW."
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
The trailer has now been watched almost 800,000 times. So, how does The CW audience feel about it? Judging by the top-rated comments listed bellow, it seems most of the people watching it will be the fans of Gillies and Kelley who would watch anything they're in. Here are the comments that got most of the up-votes (300-1000):

"That moment when the show about wealthiest families looks poor."

"I love the main actress but this looks so so bad"

"Either this show is really shitty or the person who usually cuts the trailers was on holiday and the intern had to do it."

"Sybil!"

"Who is watching this show cause of Liz????"

"It'll probably get canned next year but happy for Liz who is a great actress."

"No. Just no. Haven't you learned anything from 90210 and Melrose Place? Silly CW."

It also has 1610 dislikes... and 5421 likes. ^^
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Normally you get about 5-10% dislike rate. This is close to 25%. Most people will be watching the show for the girls, while making fun of it.

Indeed. Which is pretty much what the original audience did back in the 80s: they watched it for Krystle and Alexis, and made fun of it. Or so that's the impression I've always had. ;)
 

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Indeed. Which is pretty much what the original audience did back in the 80s: they watched it for Krystle and Alexis, and made fun of it. Or so that's the impression I've always had. ;)

They tuned in for Krystle & Alexis, the 2 characters on the show. Not because they were the fans of Evans & Collins from elsewhere.

To give the bland devil its due, this is more views than any other show's trailer for the upcoming season.

Yes, it's almost as high as "Black Lightning," but total views can be misleading. It depends on what popular blogs & sites embedded the video. The return of the Dynasty brand was noteworthy for many news sites. But the resulting views won't necessarily reflect intent to watch.
 
Top