VIDEO: Trailer

Soapwriter12

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Remember originally it was Fallon vs Krystal, till Alexis came in, and Alexis was originallt going to be in a few episodes, her poularity shocked the creators of the show, and they ran with it, so now they've put a little of alexis in both Fallon, and Cristal.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
Remember originally it was Fallon vs Krystal, till Alexis came in, and Alexis was originallt going to be in a few episodes, her poularity shocked the creators of the show, and they ran with it, so now they've put a little of alexis in both Fallon, and Cristal.
I'm not convinced that was a good idea. At all... By adding a little of Alexis into each character you dilute the essence of who they are. You just end up with two crazy bitches. There's no subtlety or nuance there. Nothing to contrast against and ultimately nothing to ground anything.
 

JROG

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Remember originally it was Fallon vs Krystal

Yes, but Krystle was still allowed to be a decent, kind woman with dignity, who bore Fallon's hatred patiently (as much as she could). She wasn't like this with her. Not even close.

so now they've put a little of alexis in both Fallon, and Cristal.

Which kinda ruins it. The entire great concept of it (just like with Pam marrying into the Ewings) was that they were ACTUALLY, TRULY good people, with a bit of an edge (especially in their pasts), who could stand up for themselves when needed, but overall rose above the petty drama. Turning Cristal into a bitch like Alexis is something we've seen a million times before in soaps.

Funnily enough, now that I think about it, I once mentioned DYNASTY Season 1 had already kinda happened with THE O.C. Season 1, and now it strikes me how exactly alike Ryan and Krystle were. Both questionable past, marrying/arriving into rich and complicated families, basically decent human beings that knew how to throw it down IF needed, and dealt with A LOT of suspicion b
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Do we already know that Cristal is a golddigger? Or is this a Cristal who doesn't take cr*p from her sexy gorgeous SUPERBITCH stepdaughter?



upload_2017-5-19_2-44-7.png
Straight to The Man?
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Looking at the different comments about how the new versions of the characters are too different from the old ones, the writers clearly aren't trying to base them on how they were in the original. They've taken the family structure and a few of the same plot points (Fallon not liking her new stepmother) but that's about it. It's the CW so it was never going to be a loyal retelling of the original story. The focus was going to be on youth and sex and scandal, so there's not much point in saying "the original Krystle wouldn't have done that" because the only things that new Cristal appears to have in common with her is that they both married a man named Blake, they both have a nibling named Sammy Jo and they both have a stepdaughter that dislikes them. I knew that as soon as I saw Cristal strutting down the aisle.

Other random notes from the trailer, was Claudia in it? I read somewhere that she was in the new version and was involved in the pilot episode cliffhanger but was she seen onscreen? Or was she even cast in the end? I know that these things can get reworked between script and screen. Also, at 2:27, is that Jack from Revenge, as the man (Matthew?) kissing Cristal in the front of the jeep?
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I feel like I'm the only one excited for this, then again I was excited for the Melrose reboot too. lol

Hey, I like this too. It actually looks like its going to be a fun ride. :)

A scene from the pilot



They are much too bitchy for my taste, NuFallon has no class like PSM.

Did anybody notice Fallon's line, "You look so elegant I hardly recognized you"? Reference to what Alexis said to Krystle in season 6! :D

Also, the catfight didn't bother me, because it was so short - which is ironic, given how short catfights often irritate me, but this takes place in the pilot. There's plenty of time to build up to a longer catfight in the season finale. X)

But the one thing that surprised me is this interpretation of Cristal, which is all sorts of wrong. No, Cristal should NEVER be a golddigger, even just a possible one. The whole POINT is that she was a kind, smart, tough, honest woman who genuinely loved Blake and couldn't care less about money. Here, she's a vapid 20-something, who CATFIGHTS WITH HER FUTURE STEPDAUGHTER ON THE VERY FIRST EPISODE. Ugh. I HATE that her introduction to Steven and Fallon is while being pinned down by Blake, fucked on top of a desk, just so there can be a lame double entendre joke. But nobody knows how to write a character like Krystle anymore. DYNASTY itself didn't, after the first two seasons. I will say this, however: The actress seemed decent enough, as decent as you can come off on a trailer.
.

Actually, I don't think Cristal *is* a golddigger in this version. I read in a summary that Cristal really is in love with Blake. Plus, in the "sneak peek" clip, Cristal said she initially said no to Blake's offer of making her a CEO, because she knew that position was going to go to Fallon... but Cristal ended up accepting it to get back at Fallon for showing Blake those photos of her, Cristal, with Matthew.

So it looks like Cristal might be a slightly exaggerated version of her 80s counterpart from the first season: a perfectly nice lady who's made some bad choices and done bad things (Krystle did, after all, have an affair with a married man while his wife was in a mental institution, and even had a make out session with him after marrying Blake).

Besides, I've seen lots of people who said they wanted to see Fallon and Krystle catfight, so here they're getting what they wanted (kinda).

Do we already know that Cristal is a golddigger? Or is this a Cristal who doesn't take cr*p from her sexy gorgeous SUPERBITCH stepdaughter?



View attachment 3885
Straight to The Man?

That's a great way of putting it. I say let's welcome Cristal who's not about to put up with her b*tchy stepdaughter! We've already seen Krystle be patient with Fallon, so let's see something new(ish)! XD

Looking at the different comments about how the new versions of the characters are too different from the old ones, the writers clearly aren't trying to base them on how they were in the original. They've taken the family structure and a few of the same plot points (Fallon not liking her new stepmother) but that's about it. It's the CW so it was never going to be a loyal retelling of the original story. The focus was going to be on youth and sex and scandal, so there's not much point in saying "the original Krystle wouldn't have done that" because the only things that new Cristal appears to have in common with her is that they both married a man named Blake, they both have a nibling named Sammy Jo and they both have a stepdaughter that dislikes them. I knew that as soon as I saw Cristal strutting down the aisle.

Other random notes from the trailer, was Claudia in it? I read somewhere that she was in the new version and was involved in the pilot episode cliffhanger but was she seen onscreen? Or was she even cast in the end? I know that these things can get reworked between script and screen. Also, at 2:27, is that Jack from Revenge, as the man (Matthew?) kissing Cristal in the front of the jeep?

YES! Thank you! :clap:




And now for a few comments of my own:

-I approve of the casting of Fallon. She looks like a combo of PSM and ES. She even looks alright blonde (mostly because its a dirty, coppery blonde, which does keep her relatively "dark-looking"). The trailer also shows that Fallon's business ambition is going to be played up, which I approve of. That was a wasted opportunity on the show, so let's see Fallon hit the boardrooms!

-I did not like the casting of Steven at all... at first. Now seeing him in action, I actually think he's kinda funny. I also don't mind the change in his personality, because THIS Steven would have grown up in an era where homosexuality is *way* more widely accepted than it was back in the 80s. And I like the banter between him and Fallon, it actually reminds me of Jeff and Monica's relationship in season 9.

-Sammy Jo is a dude now. I can get behind that, because that means fewer forgettable lovers for Steven. Plus I like the fact that he's got dirty on Auntie Cristal.

-Jeff is like Cecil now. Which actually makes him seem like a more interesting character now. I love the homage to the scene of them playing pool together.

-The settings look *lavish* as hell. Its far more stylized and rich-looking than the original series *ever* was. I've seen so many complaints from people about how "dull" and "flat" and "white" the backgrounds/camera-work were for the original show... and yet nobody's appreciating all the wealth and luxurious settings on display. I loved the pathway of rose-petals, with them starting out as well and slowly fading into red. Awesome. :D

-I wasn't too sure about the lady playing Cristal, but now she seems alright. She actually doesn't look 20-something to me, she looks 30-ish (which the actress actually is, technically). Her hairstyle is obviously an homage to Krystle's, only with some flair thrown in (which I approve of). Acting-wise, she seems rather pleasant. Not a goody-two-shoes, but then again, Krystle was not that way in the beginning either.

-The rivalry between Fallon and Cristal reminds me of Alexis vs Sable: two women fighting each other over business and family. If I pretend hard enough, I can think of this as a continuation... well, not really, but yeah. :lol:


So, all in all... I'll give it a watch. It looks like it'll be fun - mostly to spot all the little tributes to the original show. Do I think this will be a great show? Meh. Do I think this'll last? Probably not, but again, I'm going to have fun while it lasts (or till the fun itself lasts). :)
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
TNT's Dallas got many things right, including lots of talented actors who also looked the part. What they got wrong was Cynthia Cidre and giving her the reigns. This is as much Dynasty as the Duck Dynasty was "Dynasty": it shares the same name.
I'm afraid this is even worse than TNT Dallas. At least that pilot and the trailers made it look and feel like Dallas. The Dallas pilot was quite good from what I remember. This.. Not so much. I know we've only saw the trailer but the tone is so terribly wrong.
 

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Um---no! No! No!

It's too tame! The fight at the end was okay--but no! I give it less than 22 episodes!
 

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
There's no murder in the pilot! No gunshots! Nothing! Just that fight between the two women! Yes it does seem a lot like Titans in HD! But Titans had a lot more going for it!

So it looks like Jeff gets someone to sleep with Crystal and then she somehow gets Blake to marry her--And Crystal is related to Steven's boyfriend Sammy Jo!

I don't really care for it from the preview!


If this is to be a soap opera it needs to be BIG! There's nothing! No fights really! Just kissing!
 
Last edited:

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
2
Admit it! From the very beginning it's a Civil War between original Dynasty Purist fans and many others with the mind open for a new one. And we'll never change the opinion of the other side. That said, I'm a big fan of the 80's Dynasty, I love season 1 and the Fallon we met in those early episodes.
The CW Dynasty is a reboot, a complete reimaging, no need for the characters to be exactly like their predecessors, so I accept the new Cristal and I agree with Ked, Carrie Fairchild (I loved CPW and Carrie because it reminded me so much of that original Fallon!!!) or Willie Oleson that she's not the goody goody sainty crying blonde it became from season 2 to season 8 but not necessarily a gold digger, just a tough executive woman with an imperfect past. I also love the openly gay Steven or the Jeff/Cecil mix in the new Jeff Colby. And I loved the new Fallon of course, from the moment I saw Elizabeth, because I knew it was closer to the season 1-2 Fallon than the seasons 3-4 or Emma Samms' Fallon.
Just remember when Battlestar Galactica reimagined for the XXI Century, the original show fans didn't like it and said it was crap, I'm pretty sure they also said it will not last more than a season or that they will never watch such a different series, some dared to say they should have titled another thing than Battlestar Galactiva because it wasn't BSG for them, and no character was like the 70's counterparts, not even Cylons... But it was a GREAT series and gained their audience.
We'll always have the original Dynasty on DVD to watch and rewatch hundreds of times, rejoice in the campy glam and plots, worship Fallon, Alexis, Krystle or Blake, but I will accept the CW Dynasty and enjoy every new chapter in this Atlanta Dynasty with an open mind.
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
Absolutely! It's like a dirtier and sexier version of Dirty Sexy Money.


Willie, you've hit the nail on the head.

I'm pretty open-minded about what the new show will be like, I love WENTWORTH and prefer new BATTLESTAR to old. I'm also a fan of TNT's DALLAS, despite a few hits and misses.

Then when I watched the trailer I was very underwhelmed and mentioned how it reminded me of EMPIRE in season two. But here, right here where you are, you nailed it by saying it was like DIRTY SEXY MONEY and that's one show I couldn't get past episode 4, it just didn't gel with me.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to watching the pilot.
 

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
This is very much a reimagining of season one

There is nothing wrong with reimagining the characters and coming up with a radically different 2017 remix of the series, one in which Krystle may turn out to be a very different kind of a woman and Sammy Jo a man. But, as Alexis correctly points out:

There's no subtlety or nuance there. Nothing to contrast against and ultimately nothing to ground anything.

And that, judging by this trailer, appears to be the new show's biggest sin. It's trite worn-out shite.
 
Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
As most people likely know, I'm not a big defender of most of what the original DYNASTY did. But the trailer just reveals a contemporary show that suffers from contemporary shows' weaknesses: it looks great visually, the dialogue has lots of "witty" jabs, daring love scenes, but it's all banal style-over-substance -- and the "style" is bit distasteful at that.

Not that oldDYNASTY was ever strong on substance after the first year or so.

It just looks generically 2010s.

As far as sleazing up Krystle is concerned, it's predictably lazy. I'm sure some brilliant producer said, "Hey, we're gonna have a Crystol who kicks some ass!" (like TV isn't loaded down with one character after another who "kicks ass") but it's really a way of avoiding dealing with the creative complications of presenting a genuinely nice character -- because those are harder to write, and much harder to cast, than your standard bitch/bastard/slut/vixen/villain/ass-kicker.

Linda Evanses are hard to come by. And even the original Krystle was ruined within 18 months by bad writing and that ol' static acting directive.

I remember folks suggesting that Anika from EMPIRE, of all people, was going to become that show's equivalent of Krystle. Perhaps that's essentially what's happened with nuDYNASTY: Krystle and Anika have merged.

Maybe Crystol will premeditatedly kill somebody. And the show can celebrate her justification as she saunters around the body set to a jazzy "eff you" musical score.

At any rate, it looks like exactly what we should have all anticipated: yet another Kardashian era, post-REAL HOUSEWIVES OF BUCKHEAD entry where everybody's a catty ho and proud of it, a show more mediocre on its own than it is an affront to the original flawed project.
 
Top