Brookside Brookside

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
2
I sometimes wonder with the soaps reflecting real life, Max Farnham mentioned West Derby in a Brookside episode once, I wonder how he'd have fitted into 1980s Brookside also and the postcode in Brookside is L12, similar to how EastEnders E20 postcode became a real life postcode also with the Olympic Torch being brought in with Olympic Park, and as for Coronation Street, if the Royal Mail similarly to London were to create the M10 postcode area within the M40 postcode area of Manchester with a mention of Collyhurst/Miles Platting/Moston or Newton Heath during an episode of Coronation Street also if to reflect real life, or whether Liverpool's City Council would have demolished Brookside Close eventually after the show ended similar to how Archie Street in Salford was demolished which was the inspiration behind Coronation Street, and how Fassett Square in Hackney/East London was the inspiration behind EastEnders. Coronation Street was always the wayward sibling of Brookside and became too dark and gritty eventually and broke against its traditions, whereas Brookside needed to go for earlier timeslots around 6:00pm-7:30pm and sticking to how it was in the 1980s WITHOUT the Parade shopping precinct with how it all eventually became during 1991-2003 with it being cancelled altogether.

The MAIN road that the entire Brookside soap was situated on was Deysbrook Lane, otherwise there's only several other roads on that main road Deysbrook Lane alone, aside from Brookside/Brookside Close.
 
Last edited:

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Episodes 658 - 677
15 February - 24 April 1989​


Tracy Corkhill has been kicking butt in this run, and it’s a glorious thing to watch. She’s been the most consistently-watchable character over these seven weeks. There’s been the quest to get her job back, the tribunal where she faced off with Gerrard Holt; her discovery of Rod’s infidelity; bonding with Sheila and then the big fallout when she realised the true nature of Billy and Sheila’s living arrangement. She’s risen to each of these occasions with a winning combination of fierce spirit and independence, with layers of humour and vulnerability just beneath the surface.

In the case of the tribunal, Tracy’s determination to press ahead with this off her own back - not telling Billy and Rod about the harassment she’s experienced - shows us a character who is mature and determined, and I especially liked the bond that was forged between Tracy and her female solicitor who challenged and supported her in equal measure. Like most if not all stories in the current series, though, the tribunal is one of those examples of late-Eighties Brookie where one simply has to accept that there will be compromise between truth and soapy contrivance. Even as it happened, I didn’t quite believe the scene where Gerrard corneredTracy and pressed her to back down as they waited for the hearing to begin. Likewise, the cool, poker faced Gerrard suddenly crumbling when presented with a list of other women alleged to have made similar claims to Tracy seemed a little too convenient all round. Still, it was satisfying enough to make it fly. This goes, too, for the moment where Tracy soaked the harridan who was gossiping about the “little slag” who had driven Gerrard away, while being permitted to stay by her new employer. The writing and performances just made it fly.

When it comes to Rod, Kirsty and Emma, Tracy has been great fun, snarking away and smiling in amusement at any moments of tension. Her discovery of Rod’s infidelity is revealed by her opening the door to Number Ten as Rod and Emma snog directly outside: “Whatever you’re doing, can you do it quietly, please”, snaps Tracy before pushing it shut again, leaving them agape. In the face of Rod’s protestations, Tracy quips “If you wanna know what colour Hawaiian Magenta is, look in the mirror”…a reference to the shade Kirsty is obsessively planning for her bridesmaid’s dresses. Tracy isn’t the only person aware of Rod’s predicament who is quick to make light of it. Tommo delivers one of the series’ filthiest lines of innuendo with a knowing smirk when despondent Rod comments that he feels like crawling into a hole and forgetting the whole thing:
Tommo said:
Yeah, but which hole, eh? That’s the question.

News of other sexual liaisons is even less welcome in the household. First, Tracy exits her bedroom one morning to find Sheila sneaking out of Billy’s bedroom. It’s very easy to get on board with Tracy’s disgust, and her view that Sheila is using the nearest available man for a roof over her head because her own husband walked out on her. I couldn’t, hand on heart, say I’m certain Sheila’s motives are 100% pure in that regard. At worst, Tracy is spot on. At best, it feels disappointing that I don’t feel I know this Sheila very well or understand what makes her tick. Which I suppose puts me on the same page as Matty. It hasn’t helped that, while we’ve spent much time with Rod and Tracy, Billy and Sheila have been conspicuously absent for a large part of this run. This has made them feel further removed from the viewer, which somehow highlights the more selfish element of their relationship. Further damage is done when, in a moment of anger, he blurts out to Rod and Tracy about Doreen’s hotel liaison with her boss - something he’d been very careful to keep to himself up to this point.

Tracy’s has been the most successful example of following a character to work, but there’s been a lot of it going on. We’ve had some The Bill scenes with Rod, most of which seem almost malapropos but serve as Chekov’s Gun moments because they somehow affect the way he interacts with Emma which, in turn, matters to the series because it jeopardises his relationship with Kirsty. The most recent of these has been him sitting with a dying man in a car wreck, following up on his promise to deliver the news to the man’s “mistress” - the girlfriend he has kept secret from his elderly mother. The story and the people we meet are pretty much disposable, but the symbolism lingers. Even if it’s far from Brookie at its strongest, it’s felt more truthful and authentic than Gordon’s Arfur Daley adventures, taping customers’ private conversations and selling trade-ins privately to boost his profits. And all to earn enough money to make the long-gone Christopher eat his heart out (money Gordon ends up blowing in seconds at the casino).

Jonathan, meanwhile, is picking up the Haversham baton by agreeing to strike out on his own, starting a new company with a colleague and poaching clients from their current employer. There’s some visual interest with them setting up premises around Albert Dock. Truthfully, though, I fear the arty shots through the fish tank is as interesting as it might get, and I struggle to see much potential in the new setup. I’d love to be wrong.


continued…​
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Episodes 658 - 677
15 February - 24 April 1989


continued​



Episode 673 sees a gratifying callback to a specific scene in #529. Sheila is in the living room of Number Ten, standing by the window with a bottle of Windolene in hand. She is facing inwards and we are looking at her, also seeing past her into the Close through the window. In the background, we see a police car pull up outside. Sheila turns round in time to see Tommo marching purposefully up the path towards the house.

SiJEH6.jpg

bg3PCg.jpg
kAtyrJ.jpg

YMDv7V.jpg
PNjIlY.jpg

​

It’s a moment that’s extremely rewarding because we share the experience with Sheila. It’s eerily familiar to us just as it is to her. And Tommo, as it turns out:

Tommo said:
How you doing, Mrs Grant?
Sheila said:
I’m all right, love, thanks.
Tommo said:
I, uh… I gave you a bit of a shock then. Your Damon an’ that. Brought it back to me an’ all, ya know. I’m sorry.
Sheila said:
It’s all right.
Tommo said:
I’ve done that job a few times since, but I don’t think you ever forget the first time. I know I won’t.
Sheila said:
It’s a day I won’t forget in a hurry either.

It has been genuinely enjoyable to see more of Tommo. He works very well on the series. I like that he has these two sides to his character: the lad type who thinks it’s a hoot that his mate is cheating and enjoys teasing him over it. And the more respectful and sensitive Tommo we see in situations like this. Both feel authentic. Also, he reminded me quite a lot of early Barry in this scene, which is no bad thing.

Incidentally, there’s a continuity error with Tommo going on to mention that Rod had recently had to inform relatives of a death for the first time. Back when Tommo arrived with news of Damon’s death, he’d told Rod he was there to inform relatives of a death and Rod had returned “I hate doing those”.

Sheila’s moment of déjà vu turns out to be even more so where Matty arrives immediately upon Tommo’s departure with bad news about Bobby, who is in hospital in Reading after a car accident. I didn’t mind the moment being used this way, as sometimes people can have that moment where a symbol turns out to be somewhat prophetic, but can’t be explained and really only makes sense to the person who experiences it. Sheila calls it an omen and that’s as good a word as any. I’m less sure about the news relating to Bobby. On the one hand it’s nice he’s not being forgotten, but on the other it does serve as a reminder of what the series has lost.



continued…​
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Episodes 658 - 677
15 February - 24 April 1989

continued
​


There’s a more implicit reminder of the series’ history when Paul Collins visits Sheila for a rather surprising moment of open conversation.

The visit comes after a roadside altercation between Paul and Billy after Paul makes a characteristic comment about Sheila and Billy canoodling on the drive (and Paul does have a very valid point, since it doesn’t look good on either to be in this position a short time after Sheila has moved across the Close to be Billy’s lodger. At the very least it’s inviting tongues to wag). Billy gets fired up and Sheila asks Billy to drop it, commenting that it’s “a touchy subject” for Paul. This, of course, tells Paul that Sheila knew about Annabelle and Brian’s affair.

It’s a nice enough little pickup something that happened briefly some months ago.I like that it’s almost a slip of the tongue that can’t be retracted and which also creates some decent friction in the Collins household just as the dust as settled and they’d begun to reconcile.

Paul’s visit to Sheila to openly discuss it feels more unexpected. There’s an awkwardness between the two that feels most gratifying. As I watched there were plenty of snippets that came back to me, from Sheila angrily reminding Paul he wasn’t in his posh house on The Wirral now to Paul’s numerous faux pas with comments about Barry or Damon made within Sheila’s earshot. But really, despite their six-and-a-half years as neighbours, these two are still almost strangers who have barely interacted on a one-to-one basis.

With this in mind, it feels especially strange for Paul to not only speak so openly about Annabelle’s affair with Sheila, but to wear his heart on his sleeve about his feelings about it. But while it was borderline, it never felt out of character to me in its execution. I don’t know - there was something in me that felt very connected to the scene and the fact that it felt like a breakthrough. I was also reminded that at this point, Sheila and the Collinses are the only characters who have been presences on The Close from the beginning. There is no-one else. Even though this means they have entrenched ways of operating because of the way original characters were more islanded, it also makes sense to me that Paul might just view Sheila as someone he can trust with a confidence.

I must also acknowledge that the breakthrough somewhat represents a potential loss of Brookie’s original USP. We move further towards a situation James described back on Page Two of this thread:

it was already starting to feel more like a conventional soap, with everyone going in and out of each other's houses and confiding their problems at the drop of a hat.


The fact that Sheila and Paul's exchange feels unexpected and awkward means we’re not quite there yet, but given other lesser events in the series, we’re well on the way.

It’s unfortunate that a huge amount of screen-time in these episodes has been devoted to storylines centred around two unlikeable and strident characters.

First up is The Unbearable Chrissy Rogers. Driven by righteous anger over Growler’s lack of support, she’s pulled him out of school, taught him herself, then returned him to school and read his form teacher the riot act in front of other kids. And the whole way through she’s been shrieking and bawling. It’s funny, because this household is essentially filling the gap left by the absence of the Grants, with Chrissy as original-recipe Sheila. She says some the same stuff Sheila may have done, but somehow her vacillating between being the lioness defending her cubs and “I’m a terrible mother” mode feels very self-indulgent and irritating. Growler remains the strongest link in the household, with the rest of the family somewhere in between.

Incidentally, almost as soon as they committed to buying the house - a move driven by Chrissy - she started complaining that there isn’t enough space. Sadly, this is an example of plot-driven tedium. The writers needed to get the Rogerses across to Number Five quickly in order to properly carry the Grants’ baton. But it seems nobody wanted logic or realism to get in the way of this desire. And so Chrissy says she wants a bigger house. Frank goes to an auction and buys Number Five and they move in the same night because Frank has made an arrangement with a fellow bidder (he who will turn out to be Michael Choi) for said bidder to move into Number Seven without delay. It’s all so bloody stupid.

Over at Number Nine, the worst has happened: Self-Centred Sue has been bumped up to series regular status. And she’s started as she means to go on: moaning and attention-seeking left, right and centre. I have to say, I don’t actually remember when she moved into the Close. She kept showing up there, but now evidently lives there.

The pregnancy storyline, I sense, is frustrating for reasons more unintentional than intentional. It ticks every cliche in the book: her protection didn’t work the one night she slept with someone other than than Terry; she decides to abort but can’t go through with it; she confides in Cheryl who is then drawn into the web of lies; she says she wants to tell Terry but then doesn't; Jonathan guesses what’s happening…

Sue’s drama queenery is beyond tedious. She’s having outbursts at everyone, or running from rooms whenever certain topics are mentioned. She’s snapping at Terry, telling him they need money to get their own place, then complaining when he goes out and works overtime as a means to achieving this.

I could be charitable and take the view that it’s laudable that the writers are willing to go ugly. But there’s never really been anything in the performance that gives the viewer any tangible connection with her. Unsympathetic characters can be fascinating, and I’m all for that…but there’s no real substance here, so we just have this annoying woman behaving in attention-seeking ways.. and stealing screen time from more interesting characters.

In a sequence that has become a symbol of everything wrong with the series at the moment, Frank Rogers woke in the wee smalls to find Chrissy feeling sorry for herself and saying how she’s let her family down. Then we cut to Number Nine where Sue was vacuuming in the middle of the night, disturbing Cheryl and Jonathan. And Cheryl immediately took Sue’s side, meaning that injured party Jonathan ended up apologising to whiny mare Sue and buying her flowers the next day.

Let’s just leave it at saying that this story feels as though it’s gone on forever... and yet I fear it’s only just getting underway.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7

I look forward to seeing how they do this. It’s a bit of an odd choice given that the majority of Hollyoaks viewer demographic won’t remember Brookside and it’ll have to retcon the show’s finale where the Close was to be demolished. Seems to be more of a nod to Phil Redmond than anything else.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7

I look forward to seeing how they do this. It’s a bit of an odd choice given that the majority of Hollyoaks viewer demographic won’t remember Brookside and it’ll have to retcon the show’s finale where the Close was to be demolished. Seems to be more of a nod to Phil Redmond than anything else.
The first returnee has been revealed!

 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
It’s a bit of an odd choice given that the majority of Hollyoaks viewer demographic won’t remember Brookside and it’ll have to retcon the show’s finale where the Close was to be demolished.

I have mixed feelings. When they have to muck about with canon to make it happen it can feel hollow.

I wouldn't mind if the tone is along the lines of Bobby Grant celebrating Eurovision, which was a nice little Easter egg for the audience, but I also find myself hoping this isn't a way of putting out feelers to gauge interest in a revival.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Maybe they will bring Dana back to sing the theme tune of Hollyoaks like she did with Brookside.

You could almost say it was “innovative” in that it predated the BBC’s infamous soap/pop crossovers Anyone Can Fall in Love and Always There by a couple of years.

While we’re on the subject of Brookside related crimes against music.

 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Maybe they will bring Dana back to sing the theme tune of Hollyoaks like she did with Brookside.
While we’re on the subject of Brookside related crimes against music.

Oh wow. Either I wasn't aware of or I'd mentally blocked out both of these songs. What interesting finds.

The appearance of the Let Them Know video is nice timing for featuring a reasonably "current" cast by the episodes I've watched most recently, but it's so awkward and there's some horribly stiff and self-conscious swaying going on. The overall effect is that someone at Mersey TV wanted a belated bite of the Just Say No apple and the cast were dragged there kicking and screaming.

Perhaps they should have let Gladys Ambrose do it solo since she's the only one who looks as though she's there by choice.




You could almost say it was “innovative” in that it predated the BBC’s infamous soap/pop crossovers Anyone Can Fall in Love and Always There by a couple of years.

It's certainly head and shoulders above Anyone Can Fall In Love (I confess I have a soft spot for Always There).

I suppose So Clear's biggest crime is that it just doesn't feel as though it fits Brookside at all, and for me it's difficult to hear that melody without wanting to make it fit in the context of the show somewhere.

As a Dana song it's probably one of the better ones (backhanded a compliment as that may be), and the lyrics about dark clouds and all that sound nicely evocative, but it's just too poetic and whimsical for Brookside. Please God, don't tell me Jimmy McGovern wrote them.

I find myself wondering how Dana got involved since her image is diametrically opposed to that of 1984 Brookie. I bet Morrissey would have jumped at the chance to submit The Smiths' take on the theme.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
You could almost say it was “innovative” in that it predated the BBC’s infamous soap/pop crossovers Anyone Can Fall in Love and Always There by a couple of years.

Although Crossroads got there before any of them with their handful of spin-off hits, not to mentioned their co-opting of Wings' piss-take of the theme tune.

As a Dana song it's probably one of the better ones

This one gets my vote:

 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Perhaps they should have let Gladys Ambrose do it solo since she's the only one who looks as though she's there by choice.
Gladys is definitely displaying more energy than the rest of the assembled cast put together.
I suppose So Clear's biggest crime is that it just doesn't feel as though it fits Brookside at all
it's just too poetic and whimsical for Brookside
I’m pretty sure that I read that this was the reason it never ended up being released as a single. Dana did at least one performance on TV ahead of its proposed release (on a Mike Yarwood show) and then someone at either Channel 4 or Mersey decided that the song didn’t really tie in with the show’s image and it was scrapped.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Barry and Sheila, that’s great, but Billy, that’s really great. (It hopefully means we’re not in “straight to DVD Lost Weekend & The One Where Sheila Acts As Jimmy Corkhill’s Getaway Driver” territory anymore).
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
“straight to DVD Lost Weekend & The One Where Sheila Acts As Jimmy Corkhill’s Getaway Driver”
Ah yes, the one that opened with Lindsey Corkhill being kidnapped while dressed as Cher, after performing on a Stars in Their Eyes knockoff.

I don’t watch Hollyoaks, so I’ve no idea of current storylines but I do see that they’ve a character with the surname Grant, so I’m guessing that she could be used as the connection between the two shows, possibly as a cousin or niece.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
It's certainly getting plenty of promotion already. If nothing else, could this yield Hollyoaks' most-watched episode ever?
With the way viewing figures are today, I doubt it. If I remember correctly, Hollyoaks used to pull in decent enough ratings in the 90’s / early 00’s (close to 5,000,000 viewers for some episodes) and featured regularly in Channel 4’s top ten programmes for the week.

There was an article recently about the show’s surge in viewers and 500k streams was mentioned as a high point. I’m sure it’ll definitely draw curious eyes and Brookside fans that wouldn’t usually watch HO (like myself) but I can see it breaking any records.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
they’ve a character with the surname Grant, so I’m guessing that she could be used as the connection between the two shows, possibly as a cousin or niece.

Ah yes -- a sober reminder that this isn't just about Brookside, it's also about that other show marking its whateverversary. But how possibly to do justice in both (and with all the detail and nuance that our Sheila, our Barry and our Billy deserve after a thirty-five year absence) in less than half an hour? I find myself trying not to be your archetypal Dr Who fan here: i.e, reacting to every fresh bit of info with either a prediction of "This will be absolute sacrilege!" or by working myself into such a state of delirious anticipation that when all my expectations aren't precisely met, I'll feel equally cheated. At some point soon (maybe after we find out who the final returnee is -- shop steward or hairdresser, I'll be happy as long as their name ends in a y), I guess I'll have to completely check out so I can try to approach the episode itself with as blank a mind as possible.

I like how they’re delving right back to the show’s glory days for this

It's interesting, isn't it? I suspect that if Dean Sullivan was still around, and/or if the reruns on STV hadn't started when they did, we'd be seeing an entirely different era of the show being acknowledged.
 
Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
But how possibly to do justice in both (and with all the detail and nuance that our Sheila, our Barry and our Billy deserve after a thirty-five year absence) in less than half an hour?
I was wondering the same thing. Looking at the Channel 4 app, I see that a standard episode length is 20 minutes now. However, there’s a Liverpool Echo article about the returns that says that “as part of the anniversary episodes, Billy will also be seen visiting Hollyoaks village”. So I’m guessing that we’ll get an episode set on the Close, with some spillover into the rest of the week’s episodes back in Chester.
I suspect that if Dean Sullivan was still around, and/or if the reruns on STV hadn't started when they did, we'd be seeing an entirely different era of the show being acknowledged.
Indeed. Hollyoaks core demographic is the 18-34 year old group. So even the older end of that demo (born early 90’s) would likely only have a vague recollection (if any) of Brookside, with it being those final years featuring the likes of Jimmy, the Murrays, the Gordons, Tinhead and Emily.

The STV episodes have proved highly successful, so despite it being the era of the show that’s the oldest, it’s the one that’s likely at the forefront of most viewers memories now. So it makes sense to revisit that era now, both in terms of remembering the show at its best and driving viewership.

Regarding Jimmy, that Echo article does mention that the episode will pay tribute to Dean Sullivan.
 
Top