Episodes 678 - 695
26 April - 26 June 1989
The Rogerses are officially living at Number Five, though nothing’s really changed. Chrissy - who demanded and got a bigger house after deciding the previous house she had demanded and got wasn’t large enough - is on Frank’s case about the increased overheads.
Seeing them ensconced here hasn’t really been a good thing. All it does is sledgehammer home that they’re intended to be Grants Redux, and I find myself comparing them unfavourably (and probably more harshly than I would if the parallels weren’t so obvious). One scene during these latter episodes featured them round the dinner table with three conversations taking place simultaneously, so there was overlapping dialogue and a general sense of family chaos. I got the sense the actors had worked hard at it (though the fact that this was noticeable is not a good thing) and it was fairly well executed. But I just found myself thinking the Grants would have done it better and feeling sad that era is over.
Of course it doesn’t help that The Unbearable Chrissy Rogers is at the centre of things, complaining left, right and centre, defined by bouts of intolerable self-righteousness and flying off the handle at the drop of a hat. In one of the last episodes, she found out Sinbad had paid Sammy and Katie to make jewellery which he was supposed to do in order to help out her new neighbour Caroline Choi. It was clearly explained to her, but she still went over to lash out at Caroline, until Caroline told her exactly what Chrissy had already been told. It was partly a failing in the writing, of course, since it felt like situation-driven manufactured drama (generously, it could be viewed as the writing deliberately making Chrissy an unbearable Karen, manufacturing drama so she can raise her voice). But the fact that there’s no real depth to the performance makes her a trial to watch. Her pushing Sinbad into a huge steaming pile of dung and then laughing wasn't the lighthearted catharsis it would have been elsewhere. Just another example of a ghastly insufferable woman doing ghastly insufferable things.
Despite the bigger dramas happening elsewhere in their households, the trials and successes of two of the Close’s teenagers have proved among the more watchable things. Growler had unsuccessful tryouts for Liverpool F.C. but did better with Tranmere Rovers. I don’t care a jot about football, but it is nice to see a little win for Growler eliciting a smile from him after all the hardships over the dyslexia (I’m also enjoying the challenges that have come from this with his Grange Hill-esque bullying storyline). Then came Tracy’s win at the hairdressing competition. Again, it’s nice to see her succeeding after a rocky time with Gerrard, and it felt more hard won because of new boss Anthony giving her a tough life lesson beforehand. Soap characters shouldn’t really be too successful or too happy, but intervals like this can be gratifying.
Speaking of characters that are too happy… Sheila and Billy making goo-goo eyes at one another just feels completely off to me. A character being hypocritical - as Sheila’s new, relaxed outlook towards sex outside of marriage feels - but it’s getting dangerously close to feeling out of character for her. I also feel Tracy’s acceptance of the situation has come too easily, though granted this would be exacerbated by watching episodes at a rate of two or three per night rather than two per week. On the plus side, little scenes such as Sheila wistfully watching Growler putting his football cards in his bedroom window or kick the ball about outside Number Five are nice, and I also enjoyed her interaction with the hearing impaired girl on her first day as a dinner lady.
Sheila, incidentally, has become the series’ official agony aunt. In addition to the girl in the canteen and Paul Collins uncharacteristically opening his heart, there’s been a literal over-the-fence discussion with Sue who whined about Terry’s marriage proposal (omitting the fact that she’d invited this by pretending she was pregnant with his baby). Then Harry Cross burst in on Sheila and burst into tears over not seeing his grandchild. And each time I’ve thought of James’s “drop of a hat” observation.
Rod’s man-slut ways caught up to him when Kirsty sneaked onto his 21st Birthday coach party to surprise him, only to find him lip-to-lip with that one from
Heartbeat. It’s all dramatic, but Billy suggesting this surprise, Sheila encouraging it and Kirsty playing along by pretending she was unable to attend all smacked of soapy contrivance (also, I know there are people who get off on these kinds of things, but I view pretending to let someone down in order to make a surprise more impactful as emotionally abusive). Unfortunately, the revelation has meant the return of Histrionic Kirsty: all sniffs and shrieks. I feel my sympathies should really lie with her as the injured party but each time she sweeps back in for yet another dramatic scene, I find myself siding a little more with Rod. Kind of a shame, as in more everyday scenes she’s been an asset to the series.
In semantics, the series first utterance of “bullshit” surprised me as I didn’t recall this. If I’d had to guess where it would be heard first, I’d have thought one would be sneaked into early Eighties or early Noughties
Brookie. The bigger surprise was that it came from Jonathan’s mildly antiseptic business partner, Sarah Townes. Along with this, Sarah ripped up Jonathan’s passport, protecting their venture by preventing him from flying to Canada in pursuit of Cheryl who, very sensibly, has had enough of the dysfunction and non-communication. I’d have expected Jonathan to be furious enough at Sarah’s reckless move to call off the partnership, but instead he invited her into his Citroën BX GTi where he proceeded to monologue at length about his childhood messages of keeping a stiff upper lip and how saving face caused him to watch one of his friends almost drown. Even though I feel it didn’t fully pack the intended punch. It’s an interesting character moment, injected into an unexpected scene, and is a nice reminder of who Jonathan is as a character. The fact that he’s saying this to Sarah, rather than than Cheryl, is also quite telling.
Before this came a welcome moment of levity for Jonathan with his pitch-perfect imitation of receptionist applicant Coral’s Scouse accent. There was also a recurrence of an imitation we last saw him do in a moment of anger towards Barry Grant, when Jonathan was leaving to find Cheryl, Terry asked him "when, like?" and Jonathan replied "Now, like." Snobbery brings out the scathing best in him.
Jimmy McGovern gave us a winning scene in which Jonathan gratifyingly knocked Sue down from her high horse, calling her a “schemer” and a “liar” before telling her he knew she was playing Terry with her lie about the baby. It was interesting because it was these Karen videos one sees on YouTube where she toyed about with lots of different responses - incredulity, feigning ignorance, victimhood, projection, anger - hoping one would effectively stick. Sue is so very self-centred and manipulative that I feel all her scenes should be this entertaining. It remains a source of frustration that, far too frequently, the opposite is the case.
If Chrissie and Sue are two of the new breed of Brookside’s “strong” women, it’s a little difficult so far to place Caroline Choi on this scale. It’s a little unfortunate for her that she’s arrived at a time of stress and tension, meaning that many of her initial scenes were nagging her brother David to lighten her childcare duties. It wasn’t a good look for her, though she did win me over a little with a little dig at Chrissy (which predictably elicited a volubly shrill reaction). Now things are settling down, it’s clear Caroline isn’t as whiny as feared, though I fear she may not be terribly interesting either.
If there is such a thing as a main character in this household, it feels like David. While Caroline has Sinbad drooling over her, David has a backstory of recent widowerhood and has been given an honest to goodness love interest, complete with a meet cute involving CPR in a supermarket car park.
The arrival of General Practitioner David would seem to be an indicator of increasing gentrification of both the Close and the series. I have no idea how the Chois managed to get the entire house painted and papered, as well as a wall knocked through within the space of days but it’s interesting to note where the decor sits. It’s neither as traditional as the Collinses, nor as trendy as Jonathan’s home, and seems to fill the gap between the two, feeling established and homely, while at the same time fresh and ready for the upcoming decade (seeing their decor, I can practically smell my old neighbour’s home which was styled almost identically).
In the series overall, there is a sense that middle class is on the rise. Jonathan’s Sarah is practically Avril from
Howards’ Way, while I recall I used to struggle to tell apart the middle class redheads who were David’s lover and Harry Cross’s daughter-out-of-law (as he called her)… the latter of whom also reminds me a little of Chrissy Rogers in features. In fact all three of these appeared in one episode, and I realise they’re actually quite distinguishable. Kind of.
I’ve always enjoyed the relationship between Harry and his son’s lover, Sally. We haven’t seen her in probably years of screen time, and the fact that she reappeared with an apology for their latest off-screen disagreement just felt right. It’s also a nice reminder that Harry fares well when not part of a predictable and safe double act. Ralph’s been absent for a bit recently, and it hasn’t been a bad thing at all for Harry.
Geographical trend of the month: Rod receives a 21st birthday card from Doreen with a Bristol postmark around the time that Michael Choi is looking into contacting a specialist centre in that same city to get support around Jessica’s bedwetting. Meanwhile, in a Soapy Reflections Through The Window doubler, Sinbad catches a glimpse of the naked Caroline getting out of the shower and enquires about her origins:
Sinbad said:
You, uh, not from Liverpool, then?
Caroline said:
Sinbad said:
Really? I’d ‘ave said Bristol, meself.