If there was a continuation would you be ok if original characters played a back seat role?

If there was a continuation would you be ok if original characters played a back seat role?

• Yes, and they can make up all the new characters they want

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I must agree with this last statement. Sad but true. At some point it will be a reboot and NOT a continuation. BUT I hope they make it enough different that I can enjoy it and keep it from being a farce so people laugh at it.
It will never be possible for me, I couldn't even bring myself to enjoy it if it was done well. I maintain that I hope it doesn't happen.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I must agree with this last statement. Sad but true. At some point it will be a reboot and NOT a continuation. BUT I hope they make it enough different that I can enjoy it and keep it from being a farce so people laugh at it.

One of the reasons the John Travolta DALLAS movie fell apart (and he's a better mimic than people realize) is that Travolta told them during the endless development process that he didn't want to do it as a farcical satire. But after many different scripts were apparently prepared and dispensed with, they turned it into.... a farce. So Travolta walked away.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
One of the reasons the John Travolta DALLAS movie fell apart (and he's a better mimic than people realize) is that Travolta told them during the endless development process that he didn't want to do it as a farcical satire. But after many different scripts were apparently prepared and dispensed with, they turned it into.... a farce. So Travolta walked away.
Thank you John. Your appearance would have made it farcical.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It will never be possible for me, I couldn't even bring myself to enjoy it if it was done well. I maintain that I hope it doesn't happen.
I do see your point. I think I'd be ok if it were truly different. If it were just too close to the original I would feel the same way, even if done well. For me the location would never need to change like they did with Dynasty (which I couldn't get into the reboot) - but then they'd also need to keep enough to make it serious (like in the first years of Dallas in the original run). But I so get what you're saying.

1633706692367.png

Gerald McRaney as John Ross "Jock" Ewing, Sr. Northern oil man turned dairy farmer, father owned a bar in Detroit as the auto industry collapsed, Jewish family, put himself through school, partnered with his brother Jason and friend Willard "Digger" Barnes, the son of a small Michigan oil family. Jock created Ewing Oil and built Ewing Enterprises (which I was surprised to hear JR say in an early season when Jock and Bobby were talking about some issue with the ranch). Based on Jock with a bit of Max Fisher.

1633707117865.png

Sissy Spacek as Miss Ellie. Raised on a fifth generation dairy farm, a kind and sweet woman, devoted Catholic. She married Jock to save her farm from bankruptcy, falling in love with him along the way, a strong woman who keeps her husband in line her family together. Family legion says once when a bishop was over for dinner he stated her son's were bound for hell because Jock never converted, she got up, all 5' 2" of her, threw up the pocket doors making the sound of a shot gun and turned around telling him to "get the hell" out of her house. The next the Cardinal sent him over to apologize. Based on Miss Ellie with a bit of my Aunt Betty.

1633707525770.png

Jensen Ackles as John Ross "JR" Ewing, Jr. (mid 40's). The ruthless oldest son of Jock and Ellie Ewing who has taken over the reins of the Ewing family businesses. His wife is the most beautiful woman anyone has ever seen, his son is the crown prince, and he is as feared by his friends as he is his enemies. Based on JR with a bit of Frank Underwood (House of Cards).

Different enough that it's not our Dallas but alike enough it is.

But for me, I'd rather a continuation. What I don't like the most is this void of nothing new (though I realize some prefer it.).

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good for him and much appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I just don't understand the obsession with recreating, rebooting, continuing, I'm sorry I just don't. Some great ideas etc, but I just want Dallas to be left alone.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just don't understand the obsession with recreating, rebooting, continuing, I'm sorry I just don't. Some great ideas etc, but I just want Dallas to be left alone.
I hear you but I would like a continuation. Just different people with different things they'd like to see like with any other story. There are those look at Gone with the Wind that feel that what MM gave us is all there is. Then there's those that wanted a movie. Then there's those that want more so we get a sequel and a mini series to that sequel. Then there were those that dislike that sequel and we got another sequel that ignored the 1st sequel. Even in the case of Dallas - there are people who saw Cat on A Hot Tin Roof and said, what a great play, Big Daddy and Big Momma, their oldest son and his powerful marriage, their youngest son a beautiful jock and his wife the cat. Great play. Movie wasn't bad. The play was better but that's my opinion. Then David Jacobs was creating a TV show and he had lots on inspirations but it is obvious that what he created was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof using another name and renaming the characters, giving them more of a background story (like the Giant inspired South Fork background story) and he let it run. If you really look at it, Dallas is in a very real way a reboot of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. People loved it, more people around the world than the Tennessee Williams original concept (which might turn out to be some sort of reboot of another concept of which I'm unaware). My grandmother who watched Dynasty religiously said she couldn't get into Dallas because it reminder her of a "cheap" (her word, NOT mine) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I can't explain her reaction. I certainly don't get it or agree with it.

So maybe there will be a move forward which doesn't even use the same name - maybe they call it the House with the White Pillars and instead of Jock it'll be Big John and instead of Miss Ellie it'll be Big El. And instead of JR it'll be GP and they'll live on the Walker Ranch and run Kellogg Enterprises. And maybe they'll put back in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof's LGBTQ themes and maybe Big El will be Hispanic. And maybe no one will even think Dallas or maybe like Empire they'll say, kinda sounds like a Dallas story in a fight to replace dad within the company. What I do agree with it that there will be something new. Will they reference "Dallas?" I don't know. But referenced or not, someone will do something because the story is just way to classic, way too good, to just never be touched again.

For me I hope for a continuation, but I agree it'll probably be a reboot - even if they don't call it such.

Just my long winded 2 cents.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
South Fork House, west of Detroit, on the South Fork Farm where the land is held in the South Fork Estate Trust and the family business owns the South Fork Dairy Company:

1633740287261.jpeg

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1633740364649.jpeg

Gerard Nolan Funk as Robert James “Bobby” Ewing the playboy turned devoted husband.

1633740561423.jpeg

Victoria Justice as Pamela Barnes Ewing the girl from the wrong family marrying into the Ewing’s - maybe instead of working in a store she works in an office with knowledge of the business world like her brother has of the legal world.

1633740685215.jpeg

and Zoe Saldana as Sue Ellen Shepard Ewing the long suffering, well maybe equally determined (more Frank and Claire Underwood from House of Cards), wife of JR Ewing. Maybe a bit more Jackie Kennedy.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Guest starring:

1633740855396.jpeg

Phylicia Raschad as Patrica Shepard, Sue Ellen and Kristen’s blue blooded mother, based on the original Patricia Shepard and a bit more Janet Norton Lee Auchincloss, formerly Bouvier.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1633834880786.jpeg

Isabella Moner as Lucille Eleanor “Lucy” Ewing. Slightly older (out of college) and stronger, more an empowered price and more like JR.

1633835098051.jpeg

Ricardo Hurtado as Ray Krebs, a younger farm hand, a sweet stud of a boy, who has an affair with Lucy (no I wouldn’t make him her uncle and yes the idea would be to make the show a bit younger)

and
1633835992580.jpeg

Lee Byung-hun as Dia Lang, President of DEO, a Taiwanese Chemical giant