Things get slow here in the summer. We have tons of people come here in the fall and winter--vacationers, snowbirds, etc.--but the snowbirds head back north in the spring and the only folks left behind are us year-round residents. Right now it's downright boring. And yet I feel guilty about a "rant" because the alternative is so much more rant-worthy.
While they're here, traffic is terrible. Parking is impossible. The packed restaurants/stores are clogged with people who seem not to want to do anything but waste their time (and ours) standing around in the aisles. I can't stand how rude/obnoxious these people can be in public settings, barging into people's personal spaces and arguing over stupid stuff. It gets more and more tense as we get closer to 'departure time' (they typically leave around Easter), so when they do, we're all relieved. It's as if they feel entitled to be rude and pushy because they don't live here full-time and don't have to make friends. So while I really ought to rant about how awful "the season" is for the rest of us, perhaps I should rant about the "feast or famine" nature of life in South Florida. It's either too busy, too rude, too...much, or it's totally dead and boring. It would be so much better if we could hit some sort of happy medium.