nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E18: You Make Being A Priest Sound Like Something Bad

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Probably the weakest episode this season. Having no Alexis, Liam and Dominique around is a bit too much. I don't mind an absent Vanessa though. Last episode was the flu reference, this week Fallon mentions she is a germaphobe - weird...

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh sorry, i missed that sentence somehow. Maybe they had no idea who he was, but everyone could clearly see that he was a priest and that it wasn't quite a dance between "just friends".. stupid scene. They should not have danced at all and just sneaked into the basement, that would have been a little more believable.

In the basement? But isn't this the place where Nu Dynasty writers work?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Probably the weakest episode this season. Having no Alexis, Liam and Dominique around is a bit too much. I don't mind an absent Vanessa though. Last episode was the flu reference, this week Fallon mentions she is a germaphobe - weird...

I agree. It was the weakest episode of season 3 imo. But at least they're setting up a few things. Hopefully for the better.

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started to watch again, I binge watched 3 episodes. I let you imagine my hangover the morning after...
It has become very girlish... The plots are more and more teen oriented... (Well if you can call that plots)
A TV reality show for Dominique? Seriously? How exciting.Wasn't she supposed to be the new she-devil of the show? She's the new "Real wannabee of Atlanta" of the show.
Alexis is turning into the goody-goody mother and wife of the year??
Kirby blablabla you're not my best friend anymore, Sam. Who the f*** care, kids?? Is it "Saved by the bell" or "Dynasty"?
Fortunately the Van Kirk vampirella is back...
It took one episode for Blake to kiss Laura and for Cristal to kiss a priest. Ok. So much for eternal love. I guess Mrs Gunnerson is cooking a proper twist for dessert?
Monica is still missing... Did Wakeema Hollis saved her ass from this mess...?

But more important: obviously Bo was let go. Contract conflict I guess?

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He left for personal reasons ... in other words - Wakeema is holding him hostage in her NYC apartment :popcorn:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always associated "weak episode" with "nothing important happens". But in this episode, Cristal discovered Blake was unfaithful; Jeff returned to the 'land of the living'; Blake got Carrington-Atlantic back from the Van Kirks; C3 slept with a priest; and Blake and Anders ended up getting kidnapped in an infamous foreign country.

Yes, I can pin the word 'weak' on certain aspects of the episode. I didn't like that Blake basically got C-A back off-camera, and that he just assumed ownership of a billion-dollar corporation in an afternoon. He hasn't even hired a secretary. I don't like how relatively quickly they dropped Moldavia into the mix (one episode we hear the name, by the end of the next, they've kidnapped two members of the family), and I really don't like the implication that Jeff was cured of a neurological condition via a liver transplant. I see why C3 felt desperate enough to sleep with Father Caleb, but I think a fab babe like C3 should fornicate with someone a lot hotter than this guy. But this isn't "weakness" of the episode itself but more a weakness in building up to these events via planning/foreshadowing. If they had added in some foreshadowing scenes to support what eventually happened (i.e. a scene with Jeff at the doctor's, being told his liver transplant had helped slow down his neurological condition [somehow], or Anders sharing news stories with Blake about political instability in Moldavia) then these quick changes in the stories might have seemed more natural. I can forgive not having the Laura/Blake sex scene, since I imagine he had to do some really yucky stuff with her to get his company back. :eek:

They skipped a lot of build-up in these stories in an effort to get to the cliffhangers in episode 22. I'm sure most of what we see in 19 and 20 will also be purely in service of the build-up. Little did they realize they would have to stop filming at episode 20. It's like all those weird sensations you get right before a big sneeze, only to have the sneeze not happen.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
But...but.... Jeff HAS to die! It was in the cards!!! :(

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like I said elsewhere, he might get a clean bill of health and everything will look like clear sailing ahead---and then he'll accidentally step out in front of a bus. It's just the type of thing I'd expect from these writers.

Jeff had been keeping his terminal illness a closely-guarded secret. Monica still doesn't know anything, and I don't think Dominique knew his condition was terminal; Alexis didn't know it was terminal until later on. And yet Jeff was talking to Sam about his recovery as if everyone knew the details.

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Guys, I haven't watched this show since late January - my last episode was #3.11. Should I catch up? Is it even worth it?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jeff had been keeping his terminal illness a closely-guarded secret. Monica still doesn't know anything, and I don't think Dominique knew his condition was terminal; Alexis didn't know it was terminal until later on. And yet Jeff was talking to Sam about his recovery as if everyone knew the details.

Could be an oopsie from the writers, could also be that Sam only knew of his liver transplant and that's what he was referring to (and he's still terminal from the poison paint). Either way, they need to clarify this in some way.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I started to watch again, I binge watched 3 episodes. I let you imagine my hangover the morning after...
It has become very girlish... The plots are more and more teen oriented... (Well if you can call that plots)
A TV reality show for Dominique? Seriously? How exciting.Wasn't she supposed to be the new she-devil of the show? She's the new "Real wannabee of Atlanta" of the show.
Alexis is turning into the goody-goody mother and wife of the year??
Kirby blablabla you're not my best friend anymore, Sam. Who the f*** care, kids?? Is it "Saved by the bell" or "Dynasty"?
Fortunately the Van Kirk vampirella is back...
It took one episode for Blake to kiss Laura and for Cristal to kiss a priest. Ok. So much for eternal love. I guess Mrs Gunnerson is cooking a proper twist for dessert?
Monica is still missing... Did Wakeema Hollis saved her ass from this mess...?

He isn´t used to working on soaps (he is a Shakespeare-trained dog, for Lassie´s sake!). Besides, when he is walked out, paparazzi go after him...

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like I said elsewhere, he might get a clean bill of health and everything will look like clear sailing ahead---and then he'll accidentally step out in front of a bus. It's just the type of thing I'd expect from these writers.

Even if the season is better than season 2, the writing is still not good on some levels. It's not character driven, so any character can be or do whatever according the plot. The characters don't have much personalities. C2 was the worst example of that. The writers have no idea of what and who the characters are.
They don't have strong "roots", or ground fondations. Which is ultimately stupid as they have a template, a pattern : the original. In the OG, the characters were all perfectly defined. In this reboot, absolutely no character has a coherent and lasting personality. Look at Alexis. With season 3, she started strong. She had a goal, she was unapologetic. But, a few episodes ago the writing for here started to decline, and Alexis was very close to be a clown again. And what do the writers come up for her now : "Aunt Alexis and her podcast"... How low is that? Poor Elaine Hendrix. I hope she will not leave for personal reasons soon...

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just to add my two cents about the OG : thank god we didn't have internet and the social medias at the time. Anyway, when I was a kid, I loved Dynasty. My favorite was season 1 Fallon, then Alexis. I liked Al Corley's Steven. Especially season 1. And I was bored to death by Krystle for... years. Yes, all the time I was bored by her kindness, her high morality and sometime passivity. In my book, Krystle was boring. But she was a boring necessity! Without her, the show would have no heart. Without her, no moral compass. How Alexis can be a great vilain, a cruel and vicious woman, without her nemesis : a sweet, sincere, kind human being. All the characters were perfectly defined. All their relations were organic. Alexis hates Krystle : she's the new wife, she lives in the house where she used to live, with her kids, with her old staff, ... Then, she hates her even more when Sammy Jo arrives : that slut marrying her son, Steven. How can it be? And worst, the slut is related to her rival. It works. It's organic. It's real. It's universal. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor or in between : we can relate to that. We saw it happened in our family, or we witnessed it in other families we know.

Now take NU Dynasty : Cristal was no moral compass and felt like a young gold digger (even if she wasn't) since episode 1. In OG Dynasty, Krystle and Blake's love was flawed (Blake's darkness that Krystle didn't like, Matthew Blaisdel) but we had absolutely no doubt that this love was genuine and sincere. What about Nu Sam and Nu Alexis relation ? Well, I don't know. The writers didn't know much either. First Alexis want to frame Sam for shoplifting, then she accepts him, then she shades his aunt on TV after Cristal death, so he rejects her, then with absolutely NO reasons, they're friends. Oh yes, they were teaming together because they wanted to know if Melissa was faking her pregnancy. But teaming doesn't mean forgiving. That's what those writers really don't get. Take Susan and Edie in Desperate Housewives. They were rivals since day 1. And even if they could share some very rare bonding moments, if they sometimes could team up for a common goal, they never ever stoped being rivals. They despised each others and it never stopped.

in OG Dynasty, Alexis never stopped "hating" Sammy Jo. Hating is too strong, but I mean Alexis didn't spent quality time with her, like Nu Alexis spent time with Sam (remember that they even became friendly. Alexis wanted to spend time with him and brought SPA equipment to the Mansion, because they were both sad). It's something that would never ever happen between OG Alexis and Sammy Jo. With Nu Dynasty, it's like the characters have no guts, or no memory. How many time Jeff and Michael were ennemies, friends, ennemies, friends, and go on ? They can deeply hurt someone in one episode, and enjoy each others 2 episodes later, for whatever contrived reasons needed for their plot of the day. And worst, is that they mostly tell and don't show. Sam is like a brother to Fallon? Don't tell. Show it. It applies for almost all te characters. Lots of telling, and no following.

Now that Alexis is back on Nu Dynasty, I don' get who she is. She started strong, with the iconic trial moments. Then she slowly slipped into clown Alexis again.
Remember this dialogue?

Alexis: Well, maybe there's something I can do.
Adam: Nah, I said "recourse" not "intercourse."

How fu***ng lame is that?? The writers want so much to write "funny" dialogues for the sake of funny, that they don't care if it ends up stupid and out of character: Alexis is reduced to the slut status, from the son (that she barely knows) who put her face in a fireplace not so long ago. How can we come from absolutely disturbing (yet great) and dark moment, to this shitty dialogue??

Yes, the show is still schizophrenic and the new show runner is obviously not David Paulsen.

Last edited:

ABrown

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is it in Liz Gillies contract that she has to sing in a certain amount of episodes?

Another new episode, another excuse to put Elizabeth Gillies behind a microphone. It's a good thing that I love her singing (since her days on Victorious), otherwise I'd be getting REALLY pissed.

Kelly & Donna - nice BH90210 reference! I guess that show exists in Dynastyverse.

I've been trying to figure out since watching the episode whether it was a 90210 reference or just a coincidence.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been trying to figure out since watching the episode whether it was a 90210 reference or just a coincidence.

Well, as someone said the kids that Fallon "borrowed" were named Bobby & Betsy (aka Val and Gary's twins on Knots), so I'm pretty sure these are very obvious nods to past prime time soaps. Say what you will about the writers, but they do seem to be PTS fans.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
If only that would show in the writing as well. :(
In the OG Dynasty we had the restrain of that "static acting directive". Now it seems there is some kind of static writing directive...

Last edited:

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I still have to watch episode 18. Actually I didn't stop watching, I just forgot the show existed! (I swear! I found other valuable shows to watch and... well... as time goes by... ) And I don't know why I'm going on watching... Just like Star Wars... But I was involved with both original Star Wars and Dynasty characters. They were "somebody" to me. Like an old friend who bores you but... Well... He or she is still your friend... NewDynasty's characters are Jane and John Doe to me (Hey!! nice title for a new show!!) . Persons of (no) interest ... Cold case yet.
I guess I'm sticking around because I deserve a proper ending. A reward to my faithfulness (well sort of...) , which I bet I won't get. I suspect a cul-de-sac for the series finale.
I could accept the choice of a non-character driven show. Sometimes Dynasty used to be. Many soaps are. But this is not plot driven either. It is vacuum cleaner driven...
I'm just sorry for those talented actors/tress with nothing to chew... It's really unfair.
Wasted opportunities in term of characters seem to be the Dynasty franchise's signature, past, present and future... It took three seasons for RealDominique to become irrelevant. Poor Michael Michele (who really gives her very best) wasn't given so much time.
As we say in french: Quel gâchis...