- Awards
- 22
Why is that "referred to"? If they're prostitutes then they can be called prostitutes, or am I missing something?
Apparently, "sex workers" is now more respectful. "LonelyFools regents" is the preferred terminology.
Why is that "referred to"? If they're prostitutes then they can be called prostitutes, or am I missing something?
Then I'd choose "erotic entertainers".Apparently, "sex workers" is now more respectful
Those websites make it all dangerously accessible for stupid young people (mostly gays, of course)."LonelyFools regents" is the preferred terminology.

As @Snarky Oracle! mentioned, "sex worker" is the more widely accepted term used today. It's less derogatory and is their preferred way of describing what they do. Hearing them being described as "prostitutes" in the film, although historically accurate, was a bit grating.Why is that "referred to"? If they're prostitutes then they can be called prostitutes, or am I missing something?
Gee, it was still historically accurate to me until I read your post. Time flies, doesn't it.although historically accurate
As @Snarky Oracle! mentioned, "sex worker" is the more widely accepted term used today. It's less derogatory and is their preferred way of describing what they do. Hearing them being described as "prostitutes" in the film, although historically accurate, was a bit grating.




Cough cough cough

Without a whiff of sarcasm:Does my pipe bother you?
No, not at all.

Pling plang plong PLANG! PLONG!


GASLIGHT '40 vs. GASLIGHT '44
I accidentally watched the original on you-know-where because I assumed it was the more well-known version. I enjoyed it very much and straight afterwards I rented the remake from Prime.
Technically speaking the remake is better (no surprise there, I suppose) but not in a way that benefits the story.
Charles Boyer is more convincing as the Eurotrash criminal except that it doesn't really matter if the villain is Eurotrash or not.
Ingrid Bergman's character is more generous with the histrionics as is to be expected in that kind of situation, but it doesn't necessarily make the situation look more believable.
The remake does more, like adding an intentional quirky character and showing more scenery, but nothing about that felt like an improvement on the original.
The humour in GASLIGHT '40 feels casually/naturally added to the scenes.
View attachment 56635
Without a whiff of sarcasm:
The very irritated piano player.
View attachment 56636
The final scene, desperately holding on to his precious rubies.
View attachment 56637
To summarise the ongoing global feud between the two different GASLIGHT fanboys: it's a choice between Ingrid Bergman and Anton Walbrook.
It goes without saying that Ingrid Bergman does a great job in this film and the many other films she's made, but Anton Walbrook is simply the bigger GASLIGHT powerhouse.
The story is not a mystery, it's clear from the very beginning what's going on and I think that makes it more fun to be "in cahoots" with the villain.
Unlike Charles Boyer's character, Walbrook plays the gaslighter so Dickensian evil that it almost becomes sexually attractive.
View attachment 56638
Even when he pays his wife a compliment ("you look lovely tonight") it sounds like a cruel insult.
The sets are a bit smaller and crammed with stuff (I LOVE the pampas plume decoration) but it intensifies the terror of "what happens behind closed doors".
The deviousness of the maid happens more unexpectedly but Angela Lansbury plays it equally entertaining.
All things considered, the British GASLIGHT is the best.
GASLIGHT '40 vs. GASLIGHT '44
I accidentally watched the original on you-know-where because I assumed it was the more well-known version. I enjoyed it very much and straight afterwards I rented the remake from Prime.
Technically speaking the remake is better (no surprise there, I suppose) but not in a way that benefits the story.
Charles Boyer is more convincing as the Eurotrash criminal except that it doesn't really matter if the villain is Eurotrash or not.
Ingrid Bergman's character is more generous with the histrionics as is to be expected in that kind of situation, but it doesn't necessarily make the situation look more believable.
The remake does more, like adding an intentional quirky character and showing more scenery, but nothing about that felt like an improvement on the original.
The humour in GASLIGHT '40 feels casually/naturally added to the scenes.
View attachment 56635
Without a whiff of sarcasm:
The very irritated piano player.
View attachment 56636
The final scene, desperately holding on to his precious rubies.
View attachment 56637
To summarise the ongoing global feud between the two different GASLIGHT fanboys: it's a choice between Ingrid Bergman and Anton Walbrook.
It goes without saying that Ingrid Bergman does a great job in this film and the many other films she's made, but Anton Walbrook is simply the bigger GASLIGHT powerhouse.
The story is not a mystery, it's clear from the very beginning what's going on and I think that makes it more fun to be "in cahoots" with the villain.
Unlike Charles Boyer's character, Walbrook plays the gaslighter so Dickensian evil that it almost becomes sexually attractive.
View attachment 56638
Even when he pays his wife a compliment ("you look lovely tonight") it sounds like a cruel insult.
The sets are a bit smaller and crammed with stuff (I LOVE the pampas plume decoration) but it intensifies the terror of "what happens behind closed doors".
The deviousness of the maid happens more unexpectedly but Angela Lansbury plays it equally entertaining.
All things considered, the British GASLIGHT is the best.
Keenan Wynn is also in ORCA.Not "Piranha" 1 & 2 (the cast is full of supersoap character actors!)? I am doing the same thing with possession, haunted house and killer kid movies! It´s a true guilty pleasure...!
SNOW WHITE (2025)
This was on TV over the weekend. I found it an enjoyable update to the story and did notice that they managed to avoid the word "dwarf" altogether - even the subtitles identified them only as "miners".this umpteenth presentation of Snow White And The (Uncredited) Seven Dwarfs.