What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I found it a bit whimsical and repetitive, but maybe you'll get more out of it than I did.

Some Sixties British films can be like that. For some reason your description immediately made me think of The Knack... And How To Get It, which I watched last summer. It had it's moments, but it also ticked the whimsical and repetitive boxes (though about the only thing I remember is that endless scene where Rita Tushingham's character runs round whimsically MeToo-ing various men with false rape accusations).



Tom Courtenay's preceding film - The Long Distance Runner - is actually one of my favourites of the British New Wave classics.

I think I may need to check out some young Tom Courtenay. I think my experience of his filmography begins somewhere around 1991 with Let Him Have It. And I only watched that for the first time last year. Prior to that I'd really only seen his 21st Century films.




I really like how those dance moves act as the narrative. So that's going to be on my watch list.

Oh nice. For what it's worth, I loved watching it for the first time (also last year, so that's me being repetitive).
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
So that's going to be on my watch list.
2026 is the year of action, not intentions.

1768655359954.png

Starting my comment with "this is a sentimental drama" will probably sound a bit ominous, but sentimental drama is a genre just like any other genre.
And I always say that the genre itself has no bearing on the quality of the film.
The first interesting thing to notice is that Billy is not introduced as the archetypal prodigy, all we know is that he likes to dance.
The fact that his masculine miner's family doesn't take kindly to his dancing lessons was to be expected of course, and to see them overcome their initial aversion is probably the most sentimental aspect of this story.

What makes this such a great film is that every moment that could veer into mawkish melodrama territory is mercifully and meticulously undercut by something surprising.
Not cynical or overtly comical, but more a matter-of-factly kind of humour or relativity (or brutality, depending on the scene).
The scene in which Billy and his dance teacher read Billy's mother letter shows that you can achieve the same or even more without the heavy waterworks.
The information speaks for itself and the audience doesn't need a cue.

Another thing I like is that the concept of dance is not limited to the protagonist; even the more violent scenes like the protests and the attacks on the strikebreakers have a sense of choreography.
Billy's father joining the strikebreakers is something that could have been dealt with more ferociously because it seemed like such a big thing, but this wasn't the kind of film for that.
After Billy's audition we even get that Willy Wonka's golden ticket moment, and it was funny to watch the family waiting and waiting and waiting until Pa Elliott can't take it anymore.
Billy Elliott is sort of the upbeat counterpart to Kes (1969) which I also love.
Thank you, Man On A Ledge and Billy Liar for making me discover this gem.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The fact that his masculine miner's family doesn't take kindly to his dancing lessons was to be expected of course, and to see them overcome their initial aversion is probably the most sentimental aspect of this story.

After I watched I commented that Billy's dad and brother overcame their aversion just a tad more easily than I'd have liked. But what we got was enough to convince me, and the only way to have extended the conflict would be to increase the running length.



What makes this such a great film is that every moment that could veer into mawkish melodrama territory is mercifully and meticulously undercut by something surprising.
Not cynical or overtly comical, but more a matter-of-factly kind of humour or relativity (or brutality, depending on the scene).

Yes, absolutely. Matter-of-fact sums it up perfectly. It's quite unapologetically unsentimental, and yet there's something about that which got me feeling things anyway. It felt truthful and non-manipulative.



Billy's father joining the strikebreakers is something that could have been dealt with more ferociously because it seemed like such a big thing, but this wasn't the kind of film for that.

That was a really nicely done moment. I can remember the strikes, of course, which got much news coverage in the Eighties, and around the time I watched the film I'd had my memory of it refreshed (and some gaps filled in) by watching both mid-Eighties Brookside - which sometimes mentioned the strikes and frequently criticised Thatcher's stranglehold on British industry - and Pride, which was set at exactly the same time as Billy Elliot (1984) and also had the miners' strike as an important part of its story, .




sort of the upbeat counterpart to Kes (1969) which I also love.

This is getting beyond a joke, I know, but even though I've heard very good things about it.... I haven't seen Kes either.

I have just spotted it's on Prime, so it's added to my watchlist. Soon.




Thank you, Man On A Ledge and Billy Liar for making me discover this gem.

:loony:
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
After I watched I commented that Billy's dad and brother overcame their aversion just a tad more easily than I'd have liked. But what we got was enough to convince me, and the only way to have extended the conflict would be to increase the running length.
I think it's partially due to the fact that this is a show-don't-tell film.
In a confrontation between father and son, Billy doesn't reply to the scolding with words but with dance moves. Maybe there's some reading between the lines here, for example the legacy of the absent mother that is only touched upon but still had an impact on the outcome of the story (I think).
I see the film as sort of a whirlwind which seems rather on topic for a story about dancing.
and around the time I watched the film I'd had my memory of it refreshed (and some gaps filled in) by watching both mid-Eighties Brookside - which sometimes mentioned the strikes and frequently criticised Thatcher's stranglehold on British industry
Funny you should mention Brookside because my last soapy experience with 1980s strikes happened in Sons & Daughters, a situation that affected the Palmers and Gordon Hamilton.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Salt Path (2024)

iu


There were a few things I'd read about the film ahead of time, all really based on the news around the controversy generated when facts in the book (and in turn the film) were disputed. Oh, and I'd also read that Cornish locals were unhappy that so much of their coast was getting attention because it might encourage tourists (even though tourism is their #1 trade sector. And most people there are probably London city people anyway, with true locals having been priced out of their own homes).

I've visited many of the places in the film, and walked a number of sections of the South West Coast Path, so my main reason for watching was really to see some familiar places. The story was secondary to me, since I had no idea what the story even was.

The story is enough to keep the viewer interested, with a focus on a very specific kind of homelessness (a middle-class couple lose their home and livelihood and choose to simply take a small tent and walk the coast path, surviving on a tiny income and their wits) and a nasty neurodegenerative disease I wasn't aware of. But the real star of the film - particularly given there's some question around the facts presented - is the cinematography. The wild, beautiful and temperamental coast is captured perfectly here, always extremely photogenic and filmed so subjectively it's the next best thing to being there.

The performances, too, are nice. It took me a while to recognise Gillian Anderson, and Jason Isaacs gives a nice performance which is quite vulnerable at times.

​




I think it's partially due to the fact that this is a show-don't-tell film.
I see the film as sort of a whirlwind which seems rather on topic for a story about dancing.

This makes perfect sense.



Funny you should mention Brookside because my last soapy experience with 1980s strikes happened in Sons & Daughters, a situation that affected the Palmers and Gordon Hamilton.

Oh yes. Strikes were so prevalent at the time they did seem to work their way into Soapland (to use James's term).
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Abigail (2024)

1768736505511.png

It seems to me that minimal effort was made to keep the Big Twist under wraps. If the trailer didn't spoil it for you then the film poster with its not-too-subtle slogan would inform you why you'd want to see this film.
Last night I was feeling tired but not tired enough to sleep, therefore I wanted to watch something "loud" and unchallenging, and ABIGAIL proved to be a good choice.
Despite or perhaps because of my low expectations I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
Knowing what's going to happen can also create the tension of when it's going to happen, like boarding a dark ride roller coaster.

ABIGAIL is not a horror film, it's Carnage Action/Comedy with seemingly indestructable characters in moments of physical combat.
That what killed Lee Remick's character in THE OMEN is an "ooh...ssshh*t" moment in this film.
The film has lots of gothic and creative visuals, it's sort of THE EVIL DEAD in a haunted mansion, and the lighting is very well done.
The characters are all unlikeable, but in an Agatha Christie sort of way, and I was surprised that some of the humour actually made me laugh.
And when it wasn't funny then at least I wasn't annoyed by it (I consider that a big plus in modern-day films, however sad that may sound).

The best and most entertaining part is Abigail-performer Alisha Weir, 14 years old at the time of production. A part of the Abigail creature reminded me of M3GAN, but a human performance is always going to look much better.
As I said before, this film just wants to entertain the audience in as many ways as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every film is made with the intention to create a timeless masterpiece.
However, I feel there is a genuine horror film buried underneath all the spectacle, and I find it impossible not to think of "missed opportunity".
The first act has some effective psychological horror as the characters are trying to figure out what they're dealing with. Gaslighting, paranoia and angry accusations - I wish the film had spent more time on this situation instead of revealing the twist so early on in the story.
Perhaps they calculated that the audience wouldn't have the patience for that kind of scenario.
Alternatively, a 30 minutes version of this film would have made for a great INSIDE NO. 9 episode. Actually, there was a BLACK MIRROR episode with a very similar theme.

By the way, you'll spot the Escape Girl in the very first scene.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Mafia Mamma (2023)
American woman Toni Collette (who's actually Australian) inherits her Italian grandfather's mafia empire.
Nothing special but fun.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Kes (1969) which I also love.

even though I've heard very good things about it.... I haven't seen Kes either.

I have just spotted it's on Prime, so it's added to my watchlist. Soon.


Striking while the iron is hot...


Kes (1969)

s-l1600.jpg

I've had an awareness of this film for as long as I can remember. It used to be on telly fairly regularly, I think, and I'm fairly sure I caught a scene or two, but there was something about it that made me think it wasn't for me.

Without remembering specifics, I think I had a notion that it was a bit slow, a bit dated (even then) and a bit twee. The first two aren't untrue, and each of these is a very good thing in this context.

It is a slow film. Very slow at times: at football match goes on forever. But this is why it works. There's a documentary-like realism to the film that's quite unlike anything else of its kind, so that football match captures that feeling of being at a school games lesson with unexpected clarity. I know it's a story with actors , but it comes across strongly that much of it is spontaneous and unplanned. People seem to start a sentence without knowing how it's going to end. They trip over lines occasionally or stop to think about what they'll say next whilst saying "Uh". They talk over one another. And so the dialogue lacks any kind of artifice. Reading up afterwards, I see that many extras were cast in Barnsley, where the film was shot. It shows in the best possible way, and feels very much like a camera was just pointed at random characters as they were asked to say something (and I suspect there's a degree of that going on here).

It's also dated, but this is the film's key strength. It captures a specific era and place. In particular it's a statement on the failings of the secondary modern schooling system. They way it shows rather than telling - allowing the viewer to spend time there and experience its unfairness and brutality, ultimately leaving with a lack of hope - is very similar to the way Alan Clarke would depict the borstal system in Scum, a decade after this (and, even though Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong, I was convinced that Brian Glover played a sadistic warden in that film, just as he plays a sadistic P.E. teacher here). With teachers bellowing, shaming, hitting or caning, there's a lot here that would no doubt seem unreal to a younger audience. This is the system in which my parents were schooled, but the wheels turn so slowly that much of this is identifiable to me from my own secondary schooldays a generation on from this.

Some of the criticism is glaring. The headteacher being liberal with canings, for instance. There's that scene in which some regulars are queueing for their daily flogging and a timid, much smaller boy comes along with a message for the headmaster for the teacher. He obediently joins the queue, and is forced by the others to hold on to their cigarettes because they will be searched and he won't. After a group berating, the head makes all of them empty their pockets and bellows at this boy for being a hardened smoker, and he has no choice to agree. It's a little comical because of the irony. But then comes the caning, with each boy getting one strike on each palm, and the headmaster refuses to listen to the innocent boy's protests, so he is forced to take the caning but it's afterwards, as the head gives yet more verbal grief, that we see the boy's eyes moisten and tears stream down his face even as he nods compliantly. I don't believe we saw him before this scene, and I don't think we saw him afterwards, but there's something powerful about someone experiencing a horror like this without having done anything to deserve it. Incidentally, the caning appeared to be done for real, and I'm certain this method acting added to the very real reactions we got. I even read something that suggests Loach withheld this piece of information from David Bradley, in which case I'd say none of the boys were expecting what they got.

But there's further nuance with Billy and the other boys, all of whom are pegged as troublemakers, but many of them are probably misunderstood as Billy is. Yes, we see Billy stealing and whatever, but it all makes sense when we see his home life when we see how Billy is ignored by his mother and taunted by his older brother. One of the few things I knew about Kes was that Corrie's Lynne Perrie played the mother and I was eager to see this. Relatively speaking it's a small part, but she's terrific. The scene where she and her boyfriend are at the social club enjoying a night out is one of the scenes that feels genuinely fly-on-the-wall over and above the others. It's like an incredible time capsule.

Something of note is the Yorkshire dialect. It's incredibly difficult to follow at times and I did ultimately resort to subtitles. I have no regrets there, because there was some funny dialogue I would definitely have missed (shortly after I activated them, came the line from Perrie about her son throwing money round "like a Scotsman wi' no arms", and his retort that she was "as tight as a camel's arsehole in a sandstorm"). It was a little frustrating that the subtitles "translated" some of the phrases (so "tha" became "you", etc.) because my problem wasn't necessarily understanding it so much as picking it up at the same time as understanding it. As with many regional dialects, I found it quite poetic, and it got me reflecting that regional dialects are dying out. The way everyone speaks in this film is today mostly restricted to over Seventies and even then probably in more rural areas. In 2026 regional diversity is much weaker, and it's a shame, because it's the one aspect of this time and place that didn't need to evolve.

Back in school-life, among canings and forced cold showers and grief from the other kids, Billy interacts with kind Mr Farthing... the only teacher who takes the time to get to know Billy, and it's a lovely thing to watch. But it only reinforces how neglected Billy is being in other areas. And don't we wish Mr Farthing was the career guidance teacher. Because the one Billy sees doesn't see him. He perfunctorily asks Billy about his interests and with no immediate response, sends him on his way with a pamphlet. Of course, today, Billy would probably be very well supported (a good thing, of course) and,for better or worse, given a diagnosis. But we're talking then not now, and so nothing changes.

Billy's relationship with Kes is incredible to watch - particularly the scenes where Kes flies with him in the field. But I think it's more poignant today than it was last night. It needs to resonate and it hits harder when one knows the ending. Ultimately, Kes is the only living creature with whom Billy fully bonds, but it goes deeper. Billy understands what a privilege this is, and even articulates it to Mr Farthing.

Billy's original sin was stealing Kes from his nest, and that ultimately caught up with him. But this is what makes it a true tragedy. My only concern with the ending is a practical one: the clearly very real dead kestrel used after Kes was killed. I know it's a sign of the times but animals being killed for entertainment - even entertainment with a message as strong as this - never sits comfortably.

I'm very glad recent conversations in this thread have prompted me to finally give Kes an outing. It was well worth the wait.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Kes (1969)

s-l1600.jpg

Great stuff, Mel (as was Kes, as I remember - I haven't seen it for years). Your description reminded me of Our Day Out, Willy Russell's school-themed BBC film/play from eight years later, which I only recently discovered on YouTube and is really good.

 
Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Billy's relationship with Kes is incredible to watch - particularly the scenes where Kes flies with him in the field
The film being as bleak as it is, those scenes almost look disproportionately ethereal. Like looking at a snapshot and hear the music.
It was well worth the wait.
Have you seen MELODY (1971)? It's such a lovely film, I think you'll like it.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Your description reminded me of Our Day Out, Willy Russell's school-themed BBC film/play from eight years later, which I only recently discovered on YouTube and is really good.

The name is very familiar. I don't think I've seen it, but I have a sneaking feeling we may have briefly touched upon it when I was at school, probably either in Drama or English Literature class.

Already the Liverpudlians escaping to Wales factor has reminded me of One Summer.

I'll aim to watch it sooner rather than later, as I know these things are apt to vanish at will.




The film being as bleak as it is, those scenes almost look disproportionately ethereal. Like looking at a snapshot and hear the music.

Oh, this has reminded me of something I forgot to mention about Kes, and that's how judiciously the music was used. It felt like there were a few scenes early on where the imagery was warm and lovely (Billy walking in fields or woodland, I'm thinking) and it was accompanied by this whimsical 1970s flutey music that made it feel almost like Wind In The Willows. It kind of played against the tone of the film, but I found it hopeful.

Later in the film, when Billy was giving his talk in the classroom about training Kes, it suddenly dawned on me that there was no music, and there hadn't been for a while. It's exactly the kind of scene that in a lesser film would have been underscored with poignant music, but the lack of it was what made the scene achieve its full potential. I don't think there was any more music until the closing scenes. Or if there was, I was too immersed in the story to notice.




Have you seen MELODY (1971)? It's such a lovely film, I think you'll like it.

This is a new one to me. It is on Prime, but seems they'd want me to pay for it, so I'll keep an eye out for that changing as these things tend to rotate.



Thanks, both, for the recommendations.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Our Day Out, Willy Russell's school-themed BBC film/play

I watched this one last night and you're right - it was great.

I can definitely see a number of similarities with Kes. The wild, sometimes dysfunctional children connecting with a world that's separate to their own and growing from it. The pupil/teacher relationship and the teachers who range from authoritarian to compassionate. The visual representation of a run down environment that's (hopefully) no longer there, and the contrast between this and greener places (I was particularly struck by the scenery out of the coach windows as they left Liverpool, with expanses of grey concrete looking as though it had been bombed out).

Elizabeth Estensen is the only one of the cast I could have named without thought, but most of the adult faces were very familiar and, as it turned out, I've seen them in many different things (from Billy Elliot to Brookside to One Summer... funny how everything seems to link neatly up). It's nice to see Alun Armstrong is still actively working.

The street furniture was wonderful. All those colourful cars, including Mr Briggs's Triumph 2.5 and Mrs Kay's Renault 5. And the abundance of polyester clothing. Wonderful.

I was mildly bothered that the characters kept referring to "Conway" Castle instead of Conwy, and it was even misspelt on the coach window sign. But then I put it down to Willy Russell's attention to detail since it's possibly a common mispronunciation.

All told, a lovely way to spend an hour and ten minutes. And it wasn't familiar, so I must have been going down the wrong path thinking I'd studied this one. I may need some more Play For Today in my life.




Also, the final destination of Petra Taylor in Brookside.

Oh yes - of course.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Turbo (2013)
A snail enters the Indianapolis 500 motor race.
Hits all the expected underdog tropes. A little reminiscent of The Love Bug. The Dreamworks/Pixar style of animation has always bothered me a bit. Not quite cartoon, not quite live-action and no differentiation between human and non-human characters. It just seems a bit creepy.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Affliction (1997)

iu

Before watching, I hadn't realised who Paul Schrader was. Even if I had, I've seen little-to-nothing of his work so it may not have meant that much anyway (I am, of course, aware of Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, American Gigolo, The Mosquito Coast and The Last Temptation Of Christ, but have yet to watch any of them). I was drawn into this by the strong cast, the mention of an Oscar win, the fact it's free on Prime and the intriguing title.

The darkness in this film is both figurative and literal. Exterior scenes feature snowy locations, and this should brighten it up. Instead it captures a gloom so effectively that I found myself repeatedly trying to refocus my vision to make out more detail. Woodland scenes, it has to be said, look amazingly dreamlike, with crisp white snow and spindly bare trees through which characters move.

The story is one that's felt rather than followed. My concentration wasn't the sharpest yesterday (this was watched as a Sunday matinée) and for a good deal of the time I didn't fully understand what was going on. There's a sense of joining an ongoing rural soap opera with a sense of history, and relationships that become clear as things go along.

Last month I watched Winter's Bone, which depicted a harsh and brutal small town America. This film is similar in tone and theme. Along with the sense of isolation comes a set of values that feels very dog eat dog (or perhaps "dog shoot, skin and eat dog"). There's an undercurrent of violence which explodes to the surface every once in a while. And yet each character, in their own way, is as broken and vulnerable as they are ugly and bitter.

There's nothing here that's cheerful and little that's hopeful, and this redeems the film. A saccharine Hollywood ending would have made it feel entirely pointless (as it does most films). To say more about that ending would be to give too much away, but it might just be reason enough to rewatch the film, even though once was probably enough. I'd rather spend the time watching another PS -directed film.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Austenland (2013)

1769852922980.png

The title and thumbnail reveals enough to understand what kind of film this is, and although I'm not a big Pride And Prejudice fan I was curious to see how they'd tackle this particular branch of fandom.
Pride & Prejudice fanatic Jane Hayes played by Keri Russell spends all her savings on a Jane Austen Experience that takes place in an English Jane Austen theme park of sorts.
Upon arrival she meets another American participant played by Jennifer Coolidge, the stereotypically loud an brazen American bull in a china shop.
Georgia King plays the third and somewhat unhinged candidate, and Jane Seymour as the haughty leader of the JA Experience. It's been a while since I've watched Jane Seymour in film or TV so this may have been an additional selling point for me.
Now with all the cliché romcom characters ticked off, let's Pride & Roll.

When the film started I didn't even know how old it was; the release dates on Prime are not always accurate but Netflix doesn't show it at all.
The bland Sony Picture Classics logo - which isn't a logo at all - made me guess it was from the late 1990s or early 2000s, especially since the role of Jane Hayes has "Sandra Bullock" or "Renée Zellweger" written all over it.
If AUSTENLAND had been a Sandra Bullock vehicle then I'm sure it would have been bigger, more outlandish and possibly more memorable - but not necessarily funnier.
it may sound like a strange compliment but I think there's a neutral or understated charm about actress Keri Russell, and this worked very well for her role in THE AMERICANS since she had to perform in various disguises. She'd be a good choice for a female version of The Day Of The Jackal.

The satire in AUSTENLAND could have been spunkier and the humour could have been funnier. However, there's a difference between not-too-funny and teethgrindingly UNfunny (as I've seen it in many comedies, including MISS CONGENIALITY).
The humour in AUSTENLAND is in the smaller details that can be easily overlooked.
I laughed every time someone said "make haste!"
The story makes fun of Jane Austen fans but there's also a sense of appreciation. And then it also becomes a Jane Austen story.
Pretty much like that other fandom film, GALAXY QUEST, it has its cake and eat it - even if the Sci-Fi spoof is obviously superior to this film.

The romantic conclusion in this film is without the obligatory fanfare but somehow it's usually this type of restraint that gets me misty-eyed.
In a stereotypically American fashion, the rich participant (Coolidge) ends up buying the park and turns it into a bright and pink McAustenland.
AUSTENLAND may not be a game changer but I think it's a charming film that left a very pleasant aftertaste.
I was surprised to learn that it's from 2013 because it definitely looks like a 1990s time capsule.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Sing Street (2016)

iu

A completely on-the-spot decision. I was working through Prime looking at films leaving soon to narrow down my choices. After much scrolling and lack of inspiration Sing Street was very near the bottom of the page. I'll admit to a cautious glance at Wikipedia. In general I'm not a fan of the musical genre and was hoping to get some reassurance that it wasn't too twee or cloying. That reassurance came from the two names I recognised in the credits: Queer As Folk's Aiden Gillen and Maria Doyle-Kennedy from The Commitments.

Maria in particular gave me hope that this might be along the same musical lines as The Commitments and while Sing Street doesn't have quite a much attitude there were enough of its elements to satisfy. Indeed, the musical plot element - with the group forming from scratch and gradually becoming more proficient after studying lots of music videos - was very similar (there is an argument to be made for it also having elements of other 2010s musical projects such as Glee, but fortunately not glaringly so). Looking at reviews today I've seen some comparisons to La La Land in YT comment (generally saying Sing Street is far better), but I'll never know. Mark Kermode also compares it to School Of Rock and Bandslam (neither of which I've seen).

Maria didn't sing a note considering which is a bit of a waste considering what a great voice she has (she and Aiden play the parents of the film's protagonist). Still, it's nice to see her here. Most of the vocals come from Ferdia Walsh-Peelo who would then have been 15 or 16, supported by Mark McKenna. When I heard Ferdia - in character as Conor - sing Take On Me a cappella I thought we were in trouble. I should have known it was there for the journey but I like that the film surprised me when I realised (spoiler) he actually has a voice. Incidentally, the film is a clear demonstration of the difference production can make. Many of the vocals appear to be live, and they're good enough, but then it occasionally cuts to a studio version of the same song and it sparkles even more.

Being set in the mid-Eighties, and there are plenty of treats here in the form of the music that inspires the characters as well as pop culture references of the time. Back To The Future inspires a music video made by the fictitious band and we see the real-life music videos for Spandau Ballet's Gold and Duran Duran's Rio.

​

The film even delivers a montage as we see Conor and Eamon spend time spinning records and discovering lots of then-current tracks. Brief, overlapping snippets are heard and it becomes a fun little game of Name That Tune (which I found surprisingly difficult hearing fragments of them).

There's a great running gag where Conor's inspirations keep changing and we see him rock up at school with a series of dramatically different styles inspired by artists such as Robert Smith of The Cure. It's also worth noting that U2's Bono and The Edge were involved in production, though didn't appear to write the songs (not that I spotted, anyway). The original tracks are great and flow really well with the MTV pop hits. I really like that each of the tracks is meant to be kind of inspired by certain songs or artists and that similarity can be heard immediately. Most of them felt instantly familiar - a mark of a top notch pop song - and Riddle Of The Model in particular had me convinced it was a cover.

Happily, it's not a pure musical. Characters don't break into song at the drop of a hat. The songs still progress the story, though, since they're written by the protagonist as a way of expressing himself. When they're sung, truths are revealed to those who listen, so it has the best of both worlds. Really, though, the semi-autobiographical story is the most important part of the film and that works well. I'm sure anyone who was at school in the Eighties will recognise that element here as surely as they will relate to Grange Hill of the era. The school I went to was a pretty good one, and thankfully not an abusive Catholic school like the one in this film, but it was also diverse and there were rougher kids and bullies and some strict teachers. I can see some of those in this film. Incidentally, the film appears to be shot at the real Synge Street school in Dublin, and there's an acknowledgement at the end of the credits that times have changed and it is a very different school in 2016 from what it was in 1985.

The whole cast is great. Most of them are in their teens and early twenties but each character feels fully developed and almost jaded but all with a great dose of humour (a couple of the much younger supporting actors are hilarious).

Dublin and its surrounding area is nicely filmed, with the appropriately grey-brown inner city palette being interrupted by colourful visits to the picturesque coastal town.

The ending takes a little suspension of disbelief, but is so hopeful and open-ended that I'll take it. I already find myself wondering what happened next.

This is a little gem (only slightly imperfect) that I think could take repeated views.





 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Room At The Top (1958)

1769941481435.png

Ah, those salacious, attention-grabbing movie posters.
The idea of male ambition on film is not quite as novel as the poster suggests, but things have changed after the war, and rebuilding Europe created aspirations for go-getters like Joe Lampton.
Since the war is mentioned only once, and also because Joe runs away from the bombed-out ruins rather than rebuilding it, I think it hardly qualifies as a social commentary.
There's also a lot of class envy, but seeing how easy it is for Joe to enter the room at the top it never becomes a challenge or a motivated narrative.

Joe's lover Alice mentions that "there's always been somebody to take care of our Joe". There is an interesting concept about a man who's being loved too much, resulting in a life without conflict which then becomes the conflict itself.
Unfortunately, this film is not a great character study at all. It looks like Hollywood meets Kitchen Sink, and it's a train wreck I couldn't look away from.
Joe Lampton is so transparent that it kinda looks as if the characters explain their respective story arcs to each other.
It's a lazy and overwrought melodrama, and while the actors are making the most of it - and sometimes succeed when they're not burdened with the stiffly written dialogue - none of it is Academy Awards material.

Even with the late 1940s sensibilities in mind, the fact that Alice once posed nude for a painter should not escalate in such an extreme way.
Actually, I assumed that the break-up was planned and that Joe used Alice's "past" as an excuse to fake an hysterical reaction.
But, no, apparently it's the real deal.
Joe's psychotic behaviour ends right where it begins so they're also nothing doing with that.
If the film is meant to be intentional caricature then the joke is on me, of course.

Bizarrely, the film explodes magnificently in the last 10 or 15 minutes, it really looks as if it's made by different people. Or an alternative DVD 4K UHD bonus ending.
The supporting actors are entertaining unless they get too much screen time, and I think this is the first time I heard "the family way" used in dialogue (so I guess it wasn't all bad). I have The Family Way in my watchlist, perhaps it was a cosmic hint?
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I have The Family Way in my watchlist
Oh, I love the music from The Family Way.

This is one of the loveliest things Paul McCartney's ever written - just a little something he casually tossed off the same year as writing 'Here There & Everywhere', 'Eleanor Rigby', 'For No One', 'Got to Get You In My Life' ... :

 
Top