What was the last film you watched?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
self_less-498548304-large.jpg


Sort of a Face/Off spin/off. I liked it.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Oh gosh, I remember walking out of the cinema during that film!

Oh wow. I'd love to know more about this. If memory serves I've only ever done this twice. And only one of those was purely down to my enjoyment of the film.

In fact this entire train of thought could be derailed into a new thread (if I had a proclivity for intellectual property theft).
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Oh wow. I'd love to know more about this. If memory serves I've only ever done this twice. And only one of those was purely down to my enjoyment of the film.

It was just me realising "Oh no, this film is not for me." Life is Beautiful was another one.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
It took me by surprise because it's difficult for me to think of anything not being for you, James.

And I mean that in the most complimentary way. It's a testament to your open-mindedness.

Ha, thanks! Well, there's a certain type of cloying, whimsical humour that leaves me cold. If I remember correctly, that's what Greek Wedding and Life is Beautiful had in common, but it's a very long time since I (didn't) watch them so I can't be totally sure.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Ha, thanks! Well, there's a certain type of cloying, whimsical humour that leaves me cold. If I remember correctly, that's what Greek Wedding and Life is Beautiful had in common

I've never seen either. And now I don't think I'd care to.

When it came out I mentally added MBFGW to my viewing bucket list. Now I've removed it, so that's one less thing for me to feel guilty over not having done. Thanks.
 

JROG

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
INSIDE OUT (for the second time. Still a wonderful, creative, imaginative film).
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
I watched a seemingly insignificant little movie, "S1m0ne". As the title may imply (for the 1 and 0), it´s about CGI, A.I.´s and what not. To sum it up in a sentence, it´s "Tootsie" but instead of the protagonist cross-dressing, we have him using a revolutionary program to "invent" an actress and do movies with her. The guy is a director in crisis whose last films have been bombs and the story doesn´t exactly know what it wants to be until the last half-hour: it becomes a Capra-esque tale with touches of Billy Wilder all around, and not too much of a budget, aside from the program to reproduce the image of the title lady.

I thought it would be much worse, but actually it´s one of these non-Christmassy movies that would be good to watch in the Christmas holidays
(happy ending! everybody´s happy!)
. Just the kind of films that Dustin Hoffman used to do in the 80s and 90s, before becoming the (wonderful) supporting actor he currently is. Of course, there is a slight critique of the movie industry, but obviously its makers didn´t want to go there, though it really reminded me of a few Blake Edwards´ movies like "S.O.B." or "Ten". Funny that the guy´s daughter is played by a teenage Evan Rachel Wood, the girl with the lovely eyes, who I must admit I didn´t recognize at first, and I say this because almost two decades later, she went on to play herself a character very likely to S1m9ne in the TV show "Westworld".

Pacino tries very hard to turn all the scenes into gold (he succeeds 75% of times) but at least he leaves his touch of class and dignity in the movie, with no overacting here. With a better director, this could have been memorable though.

PS: More up-to-date today than in 2002, with all the fuss about the "Rogue" CGI´d actors, "Fast & Furious" resurrected one, and, what else, the shameful disaster that is (they say) the "Cats" movie.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I don't really get it. Live-action remakes of animated movies are bad enough but this one is just another kind of animation.

It was a little bizarre to get a little way into a film I was watching for the first time and realise I knew the rest of it almost verbatim.

At one point I began to wonder if they were even using the audio from the original version, but it seems not.
 

Richard Channing

Eternal Member
LV
13
 
Awards
25
Considering the awards it's won and been nominated for, and the fact that I am a Tarantino fan, I had high hopes for this, but I was a bit disappointed. It's visually impressive and the performances are good, but at the end of the day, a good chunk of those 2 hrs and 40 mins were kinda boring. Sure, there's some pretty exciting (actually pretty awesome) stuff in the last half an hour, but it took forever to get there and the last thing I expect to be in a Tarantino movie is bored. Despite some great scenes and elements, there just wasn't much of a story driving the movie forward.

s-l400.jpg
 
Top