Dallas Random Thought Thread

Mustard

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
0
 
Awards
6
One of the things that always bothered me in later years was that Ray and Pam and Ray and Sue Ellen acted like the whole thing never happened - same with Lucy. I get that when he was with those three ladies, the writers didn't intend for him to be Jock's son, still I think it would have been interesting to see the characters confront both the outright incest and the one night stand with JR's wife
I don't see that with the Ray and Pam relationship (it was often mentioned about Pam being with Ray before she was with Bobby), but I agree about the Ray and Sue Ellen relatioship, as that was just a one night stand that Sue Ellen wanted to forget about the next morning and Ray likewise once Sue Ellen turned super snob on him. As for the Ray and Lucy sexual relationship, any future mention of that was dropped for obvious reasons, with them being made into uncle and niece. In the 1990s, they might have made a few comments about it, like acknowledging their past relationship afterwards and how they didn't know that they were related at the time, but in the 1980s it was more the way to forget the whole thing.
 
Last edited:

Guzzler’s Frightening Hair

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
13
they should have had a scene around the time when Ray and Donna had to move into Southfork when their house was flooded where Ray gets fed up beyond the breaking point at dinner, stands up and slams his hands down on the table and blurts out something like “oh yeah, well I did the horizontal boogie with every lady at this table, even Miss Ellie!”, thrusting his hips for emphasis, then grabs and gulps everyone’s wine as they sit in stunned silence and struts out to the living room and starts banging on the piano indiscriminately like a 3 year old
 
Last edited:

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
One of the things that always bothered me in later years was that Ray and Pam and Ray and Sue Ellen acted like the whole thing never happened - same with Lucy. I get that when he was with those three ladies, the writers didn't intend for him to be Jock's son, still I think it would have been interesting to see the characters confront both the outright incest and the one night stand with JR's wife

I still believe they brought up Ray and Lucy’s relationship in a roundabout way when Donna once asked Ray, “Did you ever do something that you’re glad no one found out about?” Ray reluctantly said yes. I believe it was a reference to Ray and Lucy because Ray was on his high horse about Edgar Randolph who made a mistake with an underage girl when he was younger.

The writers were smart enough to know that the viewers most likely hasn’t forgot about Ray and Lucy.
 

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Star
LV
0
 
Awards
8
I still believe they brought up Ray and Lucy’s relationship in a roundabout way when Donna once asked Ray, “Did you ever do something that you’re glad no one found out about?” Ray reluctantly said yes. I believe it was a reference to Ray and Lucy because Ray was on his high horse about Edgar Randolph who made a mistake with an underage girl when he was younger.

The writers were smart enough to know that the viewers most likely hasn’t forgot about Ray and Lucy.
Maybe the writers just didn't care. That would explain seasons 13 and 14.
Interestingly, I liked "Conundrum" more than most. The introduction of a Ewing Brother who cheated Bobby, and
had no apparent love or respect for him, Gary's incompetence in the Oil Business and the devastating consequences for Jock nd Miss Ellie,
Cliff rising to the Presidency, Ray's never learning that he was a Ewing - these were interesting ideas.
Didn't care for Sue Ellen's story, Kristin right in character, Carter McKay - Who cares?
VP of course didn't care enough about her fans to return

What if the big twist was JR was born to Amanda, forsaken by Jock, and he fought to establish his career against Ewing Oil,
and bettering Gary in the battle, leading to the subsequent collapse of Ewing Oil? Hmmm

Cliff held the power and wealth and JR had to

In general, I don't care for homages to "It's a Wonderful Life", but "Conundrum" might have been the best adaptation I have seen.
It didn't follow the usual cliches, and it worked
FYI Joel Gray played a similar character in the Season 5 finale of " Buffy Vampire Slayer"
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
Yep, all those nights in Waco. J.R. and Ray got on very well back then, before the big Garnett McGee fallout which changed their relationship for good. While Ray was seriously pissed off with J.R. over that betrayal, J.R. seemed to think less of Ray for letting himself get attached to Garnett like that, so saw him as a "dumb cowboy".

I wouldn't worry about Garnet McGee as she didn't have much luck later in life. When she changed her name to Kathryn Janeway she ended up stranding the USS Voyager in the Delta Quadrant! :)
 

Guzzler’s Frightening Hair

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
13
I wouldn't worry about Garnet McGee as she didn't have much luck later in life. When she changed her name to Kathryn Janeway she ended up stranding the USS Voyager in the Delta Quadrant! :)
in the Ewingverse, though, Garnet hit the big time, and not all that long after her appearance on the show, as evidenced in the scene in Rodeo where Ray forlornly turned off the the radio as the DJ introduced her hit single Last Chance for Love.

really, when you watch this heart-rendingly poignant performance at the fabled Mustang Club, how could it possibly have been any other way?


seen below: Garnet, stylishly dressed as a baseball, dances with a devilishly scheming JR

2_11_8.jpg
 
Last edited:

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
in the Ewingverse, though, Garnet hit the big time, and not all that long after her appearance on the show, as evidenced in the scene in Rodeo where Ray forlornly turned off the the radio as the DJ introduced her hit single Last Chance for Love.

really, when you watch this heart-rendingly poignant performance at the fabled Mustang Club, how could it possibly have been any other way?


seen below: Garnet, stylishly dressed as a baseball, dances with a devilishly scheming JR

2_11_8.jpg

You’re serious about Ray and the radio? I never caught that.
 

Piggyrella Sanderson

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
26
yep, absolutely! It happened as he went back to his little cabin between events, before Lucy read him the riot act for moping and ignoring Donna’s letters.
I remember it differently: I think it happened in Part 1 of "John Ewing III", the OG Season 1 Finale, just before a dopey Lucy knocked on his door looking for love... in the wrong places.

1665613360728.png

Voilà!!​
 

A Nightmare on Jimmy Todd Street

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Cliff was obsessed with proving he was a better man than JR. He didn't think the consequences of his post divorce romance with Sue Ellen through. Any fool would know JR would destroy him for it, but Cliff lived in some fantasy world where he could marry JR's wife and raise JR's son and be able to stick it to JR for the rest of his life.

Cliff wasn't big on rational thought. When he went and asked Sue Ellen for money to bail him out of his business trouble, he should have known how she would react. After all, he called Sue Ellen a user - should have known she wouldn't take to kindly to being the one being used.
I always had the impression that at that point Sue Ellen was with Cliff to stick it to JR, and when Cliff asked for money, she used that as an excuse to dump him so she could go back to JR.
There were several casualties,literally and figuratively, of the JR -Sue Ellen romance: Cliff, Peter, Mickey, Nicholas. It would have been a fun bit of dialogue if a man in whom SE was interested told her he found her attractive but the word around town was that she was like the Hope Diamond in a dress, and he didn't want to come to a bad end as so many others had.
 

Snowcat

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
5
One of the things that always bothered me in later years was that Ray and Pam and Ray and Sue Ellen acted like the whole thing never happened - same with Lucy. I get that when he was with those three ladies, the writers didn't intend for him to be Jock's son, still I think it would have been interesting to see the characters confront both the outright incest and the one night stand with JR's wife
There were a few references to Ray and Pam. He told Jenna that he used to date Pam. He also said something to Bobby about him being with Jenna & Bobby being with Pam. I was disappointed nothing more came out of the Sue Ellen thing. I’m glad they pretended Lucy & Ray never happened because that’s just- ick!

It may be unpopular but I think Donna Reed has some good moments.

There was the scene with Sue Ellen when she talked about how JR worshipped his father, and how Ewing Oil was
what he had left of his father, and how Sue Ellen was the one of the two who had the best ability to
heal their marriage.
I once read that Donna Read knew of Oil Baron and their wives back in Oklahoma, and how
she modeled the character as such.
Donna Reed certainly dressed more stylishly than BBG
People forget than Donna Reed won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in "From Here to Eternity"
portrayed Mary Baily in "It's a Wonderful Life" and led her own sitcom, "The Donna Reed Show"
for 8 seasons, a show in which she was more assertive than most TV mothers of the era.

I could understand that her role on Dallas didn't please everyone, but she was a respected, accomplished actress.
It’s not that she was a bad actress. It was just that she was not believable as Miss Ellie. She wasn’t the right choice for the replacement. I could hear BBG voice as Donna Reed was saying the words. If the producers wanted us to accept her, they should have kept the look of Miss Ellie consistent

I agree. Bobby dumps a pregnant Jenna, invites her to the wedding! Takes no responsibility,
and Miss Ellie in her usual hypocritical way, disapproves of Jenna in Ray's house.

Ray should have told off all of the Ewings many times
I was so mad at Miss Ellie when she did that. She said Jenna hurt her. Well hello, look at what her son did to Jenna. She owed the family nothing
 

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Star
LV
0
 
Awards
8
I was so mad at Miss Ellie when she did that. She said Jenna hurt her. Well hello, look at what her son did to Jenna. She owed the family nothing
I fully agree. Jenna was the one who was hurt.
In true Miss Ellie fashion, all she cared about was herself

In the spirit of Halloween,

"Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter"(1966) probably the worst ever Jesse James movie
and "Dracula Vs Frankenstein" (1971) which may be even worse.

I say this with a smile, because I could watch both movies and enjoy them.

Both movies feature a pre-Jock Ewing Jim Davis as a lawman!
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
The thread about the change from the Box Ranch to Duncan Acres inspired this random thought:
As we know, David Jacobs created Knots Landing first.
Was the idea about the separate cottages an attempt to incorporate the Scenes From a Marriage community concept in Dallas?
Jock and Ellie (the Fairgates) in the main house, JR and Sue Ellen (the unstable Averys, John Pleshette has said that he expected to be the JR of Knots Landing), Bobby and Pam (the newlyweds aka the Wards), and of course the empty one waiting for Gary and Val.
 
Top