Dallas Random Thought Thread

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
Bless Cliff, he always thought above and beyond, that meant so much to him.

Cliff was always looking out for himself!

He couldn't stand the thought of Jock getting one up on poor Digger Barnes which is why he carried on the vendetta against the Ewing's with JR being on the recieving end.

He always craved a piece of Ewing Oil and even when he finally got it it didn't last long because Mrs. Scottfield and Jeremy Wendell ensured the downfall of Ewing Oil in season ten as a result of JR's antics with BD Calhoun.

Cliff never wanted to destroy Ewing Oil, unlike Wendell. Although he got plenty of money from the Justice department when Ewing Oil was shut down and it's assets sold off to Wendell, Cliff lamented it's loss as he had power over the company whilst it was still operating through the shares he inherited from Jamie. :)
 

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
I think it was meaningful to Cliff because of the Barnes-Ewing history

Yes, but he even chastised JR by saying "every deal that comes through here, I'm going to be looking over your shoulder."

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to big business, but Cliff would just be a minority shareholder along for the ride.
 

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Star
LV
0
 
Awards
8
Yes, but he even chastised JR by saying "every deal that comes through here, I'm going to be looking over your shoulder."

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to big business, but Cliff would just be a minority shareholder along for the ride.
I think it depends on a number of factors. There was likely a partnership agreement, since Ewing Oil was not publicly traded (I assume).
In theory, if Cliff objected to something, and he could convince Bobby and at least one other partner, his 10% could be meaningful.
He would have legal standing to object, even if his position was not shared by a majority.
Again, it depends on the content of the partnership agreement
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
Cliff never wanted to destroy Ewing Oil, unlike Wendell. Although he got plenty of money from the Justice department when Ewing Oil was shut down and it's assets sold off to Wendell, Cliff lamented it's loss as he had power over the company whilst it was still operating through the shares he inherited from Jamie.

Cliff is an interesting character. It's almost as if he needed the feud with the Ewings to give him purpose.
 

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
11
As Bobby once told Cliff in the early days; "sometimes I think your hatred for the Ewings is like a cancer eating up all of your good sense".
And after the birth of Little John Bobby asks if Cliff cares how many lives he'll destroy, Cliff says; " how many Ewing lives? No".

Cliff was definitely passionate about his forever hatred of the Ewings.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Yes, but he even chastised JR by saying "every deal that comes through here, I'm going to be looking over your shoulder."

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to big business, but Cliff would just be a minority shareholder along for the ride.
I assume that as a shareholder he would at least have the right to see the books, etc., even if ultimately he had no say in the decisions.
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to big business, but Cliff would just be a minority shareholder along for the ride

In theory, if Cliff objected to something, and he could convince Bobby and at least one other partner, his 10% could be meaningful.
He would have legal standing to object, even if his position was not shared by a majority.

I assume that as a shareholder he would at least have the right to see the books, etc., even if ultimately he had no say in the decisions


J.R. said it best in J.R. Returns when he was addressing the board of directors at Westar Oil. "I have enough stock and proxies to make your lives a living hell."

If you'll indulge me while I get my geek on, here is what could happen if Cliff became minority shareholder in Ewing Oil.

Tag along rights
This means that if J.R. or Bobby sell any Ewing asset, Cliff gets ten percent of the proceeds. This includes assets purchased years before Cliff became minority shareholder.

Drag along rights
This means that any business transaction benefitting J.R. or Bobby MUST also benefit Cliff. For example, Bobby finds a great oil field and uses Ewing money to buy it. The oil field has nothing to do with Cliff. That doesn't matter because drag along rights means that Cliff must benefit from that deal. (Or any Ewing Oil deal going forward)

Come along clause
This means that if J.R. or Bobby trade a share of Ewing Oil, Cliff is entitled to his proportion of that new trade. For example, J.R. decides "I'm going to trade 5% of Ewing Oil for half of Harwood Oil." This means that Cliff now owns a part of Harwood Oil.

And the biggest one of all
Fiduciary Duty
This is the one that would drive J.R. crazy. It says that Ewing Oil has a contractual and legal obligation to protect Cliff Barnes and his business interest. How big of a deal is this? Consider Ewing 23.

J.R., Bobby, and Jock found out that Digger Barnes owned half of Ewing 23. When Digger passed away, Cliff inherited half of Ewing 23. J.R. picked up the phone (in front of Cliff, of course) and said to his foreman, "Shut it down. All of it. Close every well." You probably remember that scene.

If Cliff becomes minority shareholder, the Fiduciary Duty clause says that not only can J.R. NOT shut down Ewing 23, but Cliff can invoke that clause to force J.R. to INCREASE pumping at Ewing 23 and share the profits with Cliff.

Could Cliff becoming minority shareholder turn J.R's life upside down?

Absolutely.
 
Last edited:

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
S7 E2 The "Long Goodbye", kinda foreshadows Miss Ellie giving Bobby Southfork. One of Clayton's best scenes where he did a masterful job of guilt tripping Bobby in seeing the Southfork renovation through. When discussing Southfork, he says "Sure, JR would want to own it, but he doesn't care about it. He cares about that "thing." She feels Gary is out of her life forever. Ray loves Southfork, but he doesn't have any Southworth blood in him. That leaves you, Bobby."
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
S7 E2 The "Long Goodbye", kinda foreshadows Miss Ellie giving Bobby Southfork. One of Clayton's best scenes where he did a masterful job of guilt tripping Bobby in seeing the Southfork renovation through. When discussing Southfork, he says "Sure, JR would want to own it, but he doesn't care about it. He cares about that "thing." She feels Gary is out of her life forever. Ray loves Southfork, but he doesn't have any Southworth blood in him. That leaves you, Bobby."

If any of the Ewing sons were to inherit Southfork then yes Bobby was the right choice.

Let's examine the facts, Jock and Miss Ellie would've both ruled JR out after he put Southfork up as collateral when he mortgaged the ranch against the Asian Oil deal. Jock was as mad as hell with his first born when Bobby revealed the truth. Miss Ellie told Jock "I didn't marry you to lose this ranch!" which was a direct reference that she married Jock initially to save Southfork. Neither Jock or Miss Ellie would've trusted JR with the ranch in their will because of his underhand scheming in securing the Asian Oil leases. :)
 

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
If any of the Ewing sons were to inherit Southfork then yes Bobby was the right choice.

Let's examine the facts, Jock and Miss Ellie would've both ruled JR out after he put Southfork up as collateral when he mortgaged the ranch against the Asian Oil deal. Jock was as mad as hell with his first born when Bobby revealed the truth. Miss Ellie told Jock "I didn't marry you to lose this ranch!" which was a direct reference that she married Jock initially to save Southfork. Neither Jock or Miss Ellie would've trusted JR with the ranch in their will because of his underhand scheming in securing the Asian Oil leases. :)

We know Miss Ellie wouldn't. That's been proven. I'm not so sure about Jock. JR might have just been talking, but if you remember the scene where Clayton told Bobby that he's the new owner of Southfork, JR could be heard saying, "I'm the oldest and Southfork should go to me and if daddy was alive he'd make sure that would happen."

I think it would still go to Bobby, but I don't think it would be cut and dry with Jock.
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
We know Miss Ellie wouldn't. That's been proven. I'm not so sure about Jock. JR might have just been talking, but if you remember the scene where Clayton told Bobby that he's the new owner of Southfork, JR could be heard saying, "I'm the oldest and Southfork should go to me and if daddy was alive he'd make sure that would happen."

I think it would still go to Bobby, but I don't think it would be cut and dry with Jock.

Well I suppose it's possible that Jock might want him to have it.

I'm just off the phone with him and he says he couldn't care less about the Ewing's any more because they wouldn't believe who he really was when he came back! So there you have it from the horses mouth! Bobby would still get Southfork. ;)

Wes Parmalee reveals he is Jock Ewing.jpg
 

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
11
I understand Peter Richards was young, but he had to be one of the dumbest characters on Dallas. Did he really think Sue Ellen was going to leave a life of luxury to go live in his college dorm? Lol
He probably did believe it. He was obviously academically clever, but acted like a naive and petulant child when he became infatuated with an older woman. I imagine he would've fantasised about them setting up home together.
I think there were far more dumb characters than him though.

I actually enjoyed the storyline, shame many didn't.
 

Jock-O-Lantern

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
1
 
Awards
7
He probably did believe it. He was obviously academically clever, but acted like a naive and petulant child when he became infatuated with an older woman. I imagine he would've fantasised about them setting up home together.
I think there were far more dumb characters than him though.

I actually enjoyed the storyline, shame many didn't.

Peter's obsession with Sue Ellen got annoying. Showing up at John Ross' school was beyond creepy and then he shows up again and leaves a not on her windshield. That's after he uses Lucy just to get close to Sue Ellen and got legitimately pissed when Sue Ellen told him that she slept with JR/her husband. He acted as if he owned her.
 

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
11
Peter's obsession with Sue Ellen got annoying. Showing up at John Ross' school was beyond creepy and then he shows up again and leaves a not on her windshield. That's after he uses Lucy just to get close to Sue Ellen and got legitimately pissed when Sue Ellen told him that she slept with JR/her husband. He acted as if he owned her.
It's a shame it wasn't played out as a sweet love story or more believable obsession. I agree he became annoying and creepy. Could've been a much better story line. We were promised something exciting here in the UK and it just never seemed to materialise.
Lucy's role in it was pivotal, felt sad for her a lot of the time. She liked him and it just wasn't reciprocated.
 

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
11
Speaking of dumb, how dumb was it for Katherine to sleep with JR. She knew his reputation. Did it never occur to her he could use it against her?
She obviously thought he would never do that to her or she imagined she could outsmart him, very dumb move.
 
Top