VIDEO: Trailer

K

Karin Schill

Guest
Scrap that! No. I know what this show feels like. It feels like TITANS.

Has everyone here seen TITANS? Aaron Spelling's very own attempt at dragging DYNASTY into the new millennium from the fall of 2000?

This is TITANS. Spelling had Melrose people do DYNASTY, The CW has The O.C. people do it.

I'm telling you, guys, this is TITANS in HD.

How did you get into my head, that's just what I thought! :haha:
Only difference was that Titans had Victoria Principal in it as their saving grace!;)
I just saw 11 out of 13 episodes of Titans a couple of weeks ago and I actually liked that show.

Then as for this show. I think you are supposed to root for Blake and Cristal. Yawn. The originals were not my favorite as it was, I was always hoping they'd put Alexis and Blake back together again as there was the real passion and drama. If only they had done that for a season it could have been fab. But no it never happened.

I don't think I'll be watching this new show. I am still pouting they didn't do a backstory show focusing on Blake and Alexis's marriage. Now that I would have wanted to see!

This, no thank you.

What I fear however is that it might appeal to the kids born in the 1990's or early 2000's and then we'll have a whole generation of kids who will think the original Dynasty is all wrong and that this is what Dynasty is all about. *shudders at the thought*
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
What I fear however is that it might appeal to the kids born in the 1990's or early 2000's and then we'll have a whole generation of kids who will think the original Dynasty is all wrong and that this is what Dynasty is all about.
No need to worry. After watching the CW Dynasty trailer there is no way this will tarnish the original. The writers/producers are going to have to stand behind this product because it is of their making, no one else. If it fails, and I believe it will, it will reflect how grossly incompetent some of those people in Hollywood really are.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
If the show fails, the only question will be why the decision-makers, as with Dallas, Blood & Oil, and numerous others, couldn't see what is obvious to the viewing public?

An interesting question. In part they may have a vision of what the public would enjoy but more often than not those visions are failing. It appears The CW in resurrecting Dynasty have a target audience in mind and it's definitely not the crowd from 1981-1989. No, this is for the hip and happening crowd who enjoy watching a man eating a woman's ______. The soon-to-be step children meeting their future step-mother while daddy is having his wicked way with her on the office desk...and no one flinches, take another sip of whatever your drinking there Steven. Step-daughter biting the head off a bride cake. Future step-mother who continues to suck on a straw despite the drink running out last year. Ripped dresses, pulled hair, sashaying towards your future husband looking half pissed. Yes, the 18-34 year brigade are going to love this.

If those decision makers believe this is what makes good television then little wonder there are more failures than successes.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
If those decision makers believe this is what makes good television then little wonder there are more failures than successes
How would you define "failures"? Shows that get cancelled? There have been quite a few gems that got cancelled unwarranted, and at the same time most of the current long-running "successes" don't appeal to me at all.
Once Upon A Time is one of the worst tv-shows I've ever seen, and yet here we are, 7 years later, and it's still going on.
It doesn't always indicate the quality of the show.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
How would you define "failures"? Shows that get cancelled?
I'm probably speaking more from a global point of view than country specifics. I thought the business of producing television was to sell your product to overseas markets because that is where the big money is. The back-half of Lorimar Dallas is an excellent example why the show continued to be produced, never mind the quality of the show, as long as overseas markets were still loving it the money kept rolling in. Like you I tried to watch "Once Upon A Time" but gave up. "Grey's Anatomy" is another show that has me flummoxed to it's popularity. I couldn't get past the first episode yet 13 seasons later it's still going. The failure of TNT Dallas has been spoken of ad nauseam. It was cancelled due to its failure in telling a good yarn about the Ewing family.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Makes me wonder about the ratio of successful vs. failed tv shows in the history of television. I mean, is it possible that the failed projects have always outnumbered the successes, rather than being a sign of the times, as it were?
Does anyone know more about this?
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Step-daughter biting the head off a bride cake.

But that's exactly what happened in the original show. PSM's Fallon bit the head off the bride cake. Only difference is she didn't do it in front of Krystle... but I kinda like that she did in this one. :lol:

Once Upon A Time is one of the worst tv-shows I've ever seen, and yet here we are, 7 years later, and it's still going on.

I used to like that show, but after a few seasons I couldn't forgive the hokey-ness anymore, and stopped watching. As fun as it was watching Disney characters all living together in one town, it all felt too garbled and all-over-the-place. Especially in the later episodes.


One show that comes to mind now is "Firefly." Any time I've heard about that show, people are always saying how it was a great show that should have gone on well past just one season.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4

I actually don't have as much time to watch TV as I used to, so I don't know a lot of the new(er) shows these days. Plus, we only have one TV, and its in the living room, which is the hive of activity in our household. I rarely get the TV to myself, and usually whenever I get to watch something I enjoy, somebody else nearby feels the need to make snarky comments about what I'm watching.

So I mostly just hide away in my room and watch youtube clips on my laptop.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
One show that comes to mind now is "Firefly."
Some of the blokes I work with kept talking about this show until one day I had the opportunity to watch it. The most apt description I heard was, "Think of it as cowboys in space." I have to say I really enjoyed it and now understand why it's still spoken of today with regards to being cancelled before its time. Here's a funny little reference from "The Big Bang Theory".
It's unfortunate some executives have little patience in new TV shows. Some are a required taste. I can name a few that took time for me to really enjoy; Seinfield, Twin Peaks and The X Files. I believe Firefly had a future if given a chance to bed itself in, but like many programs today it was tossed on the television scrap-heap before its time.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Some of the blokes I work with kept talking about this show until one day I had the opportunity to watch it. The most apt description I heard was, "Think of it as cowboys in space." I have to say I really enjoyed it and now understand why it's still spoken of today with regards to being cancelled before its time. Here's a funny little reference from "The Big Bang Theory".
It's unfortunate some executives have little patience in new TV shows. Some are a required taste. I can name a few that took time for me to really enjoy; Seinfield, Twin Peaks and The X Files. I believe Firefly had a future if given a chance to bed itself in, but like many programs today it was tossed on the television scrap-heap before its time.

My brother-in-law told me that he thinks the reason it was cancelled was because when it first aired, all the episodes were out of order, so not enough people got into it, and that it gained a cult following. But at least the series got to have a conclusion in the form of "Serenity", the movie.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
and that it gained a cult following

And it's that cult following which can transcend into a massive hit. I believe this happened with The X Files. It had developed this cult following before ballooning into the mega hit it became.

It's a pity the decision makers behind the scenes no longer show confidence in the product there wanting us to accept. My concern regarding the Dynasty pilot episode is it will be too much for people to absorb and may move on, never to return. Commission a full 25 episode series with a beginning, middle and end. Allow the characters to bed in. If the series flops due to poor ratings than at least the show was given an opportunity to succeed. I detest the throw everything at the wall mentality.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
It's a pity the decision makers behind the scenes no longer show confidence in the product there wanting us to accept. My concern regarding the Dynasty pilot episode is it will be too much for people to absorb and may move on, never to return. Commission a full 25 episode series with a beginning, middle and end. Allow the characters to bed in. If the series flops due to poor ratings than at least the show was given an opportunity to succeed. I detest the throw everything at the wall mentality.

Thanks to "Riverdale", I have hope. Not a lot, but some. I'm sticking to my resolution to just sit back and have fun watching it unfold. My only real expectation for it is to count how many references to the old show it'll make, which is pretty much what "Riverdale" has been doing in bucket-loads (and I only know that thanks to Andre, The Black Nerd :lol:).
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
One show that comes to mind now is "Firefly." Any time I've heard about that show, people are always saying how it was a great show that should have gone on well past just one season.

Well I think the problem with Firefly (2002-2003) was that it was being held to an impossible high standard due to it being Joss Whedon's new show that was being launched while his other two hit shows Buffy the vampire slayer (1997-2003) and Angel (1999-2004) were still on the air.

Because of the success of the other two shows Firefly was expected to be an instant success that would bring in the same audience numbers as Buffy or Angel. But it wasn't.

I think a part of the problem was the timing, as Joss Whedon left Buffy and Angel to go work on Firefly and the quality of those shows suffered because of it which made some Buffy and Angel fans resent the new show. After it flopped it was referred to within the fandom as "Fireflop" for quite a number of years before people finally gave it a chance after there were no other Whedon shows to watch and figured it was ok. But then it was of course too late.

I saw Firefly around 2006 after my college flat mate recommended the show to me. I thought it was ok and it had some of Whedon's typical humour. But it was never on the same level as Buffy or Angel and now ten years later I can't even remember the name of a single character on that show. I know it has a cult following now and maybe it had the potential to be a good show after some tweaking. But it was rushed out in an attempt to cash in on Whedon's success and that was it's big mistake. If they had spent some more time developing the show and then launched it after Angel went off the air I think it would have been a success!
 
Top