Thank you for the feedback everyone.
Honkytonkangel & Crazy about SE and JR, you don't need to worry. I don't like Don anymore than you do!
Shan, I'm glad you're still loving this story.
Just one more update left for episode one:
Sue Ellen smiled, as she saw the white Ranch house with its outdoor patio, pool and flower garden come into view.
It looks just like I remembered it, she reflected, as the stables, the house, the bushes and the black fences that framed the pastures where the cattle and horses were grazing, didn’t look any different now than it had 7 years ago when she’d moved out from the ranch for good. Looking at the house now, where it was situated on its grounds, Sue Ellen couldn’t help but wondering silently how she ever could have left the house in the first place. Since the ranch was absolutely beautiful. Yet looking over to the man who was sitting next to her, pulling up the car on the driveway, she knew exactly why she’d left. Since Southfork might look like a peaceful place and when she’d first moved into the house when she and JR were first married in the early 70s, she’d might have believed that this place was going to become her own heaven on earth and that she, Sue Ellen Shepard Ewing, would become its mistress one day in the future. This time, returning to the ranch 25 years later, she no longer held any such illusions. Since she knew now that the house’s country location was deceiving since as long as JR Ewing lived here Southfork could never be just another peaceful cattle ranch. So it was with open eyes that she returned here and it felt good.
“It feels like it’s been years since I saw this place,” Sue Ellen reflected, as she, John Ross and JR got out of the car.
“It’s been years,” JR reminded her.
“I know it has and it feels weird to say this but I’ve really missed this ranch,” Sue Ellen confessed. “I mean Southfork used to be my home for many years…”
“I know what you mean Mama, coming here sort of feels like coming back home again and it’s fun to be back,” John Ross smiled.
“That’s my boy,” JR grinned and patted John Ross on his shoulder, before they walked up to the patio where Miss Ellie and Clayton had been sitting outdoors waiting for them.
“Grandma!” John Ross called out before he rushed over towards the older woman and greeted her with a big bear hug.
“John Ross! Welcome home!” Miss Ellie beamed, as she hugged John Ross tightly. He might not be her oldest grandson anymore, as James was, but in her heart he was still special.
“Clayton, it’s good to see you again,” Sue Ellen greeted the older man, who used to be like a father-figure to her, with a hug.
“Sue Ellen, it’s good to see you too,” Clayton smiled before he turned to John Ross, “You too John Ross.”
“Grandpa Farlow,” John Ross replied before he hugged Clayton as well and Sue Ellen hugged Miss Ellie.
“Sue Ellen, I’m so glad that you decided to come with John Ross for a visit. The house hasn’t been the same since you’ve left,” Miss Ellie smiled at her former daughter in law. All hard feelings between the women after the shooting of JR finally put behind them.
“Thanks Miss Ellie, I’m glad I went too, it feels great to be back. I’ve really missed this place and this family…” Sue Ellen’s sentence was left hanging as she spotted her nephew Christopher coming out of the house.
“John Ross!” Christopher exclaimed happily, as he rushed up to his cousin, clearly delighted to have his older cousin back again.
“Hi Chris,” John Ross smiled and the cousins greeted each other with a male hug and lots of pats in the back.
“Wow! John Ross it’s great to have you back man!” Christopher smiled. “The house’s been so empty without you.”
“Well I’m glad to be back,” John Ross grinned. The two cousins then small talked a little.
Sue Ellen smiled at the scene in front of her as she hadn’t seen John Ross this happy in months. Yet seeing Christopher was a little bittersweet for her as he was a constant reminder of her sister Kristin. Watching the two cousins talk touched her heart and she was reluctant to interrupt them. But at the same time she wanted to say hi. So she slowly approached Christopher and said, “Hello Christopher!”
“Hi Aunt Sue Ellen,” Christopher smiled.
Sue Ellen smiled back, “Can I get a hug?”
“Sure,” Christopher agreed before he walked up to her and gave her a hug.
Sue Ellen smiled as she was happy to see her nephew again. But then her smile stiffened as she was startled to see a brunette woman and a little girl with brown hair come out of the house with Bobby. There was something eerily familiar about the woman and she just couldn’t shake the feeling that she knew her. Then her eyes widened as it suddenly dawned on her exactly who that was, “Oh my God!” Sue Ellen exclaimed. “Pam?”
“Hi Sue Ellen, it must have been years since we saw each other,” Pam greeted her with a smile.
Hearing her voice Sue Ellen knew that it was true.
It really is Pam. Sue Ellen had a hard time taking her eyes off Pam, as if she had a hard time to believe that it really was her old friend and sister-in law who had returned to them at last. “Pam, it really is you,” Sue Ellen smiled, as the two women embraced each other. “It’s so nice to see you again.”
“It’s nice to see you too Sue Ellen, you look wonderful,” Pam replied.
“So do you,” Sue Ellen smiled back. “If I didn’t know that you’d been in that car crash, I’d never have guessed it.”
“Thanks, the doctor says I’m completely recovered by now,” Pam informed Sue Ellen.
“I’m glad,” Sue Ellen smiled at Pam before turning to Bobby. “Bobby, it’s good to see you too.”
“Sue Ellen, welcome back to Southfork,” Bobby hugged his former sister-in-law and then proceeded with his nephew. “John Ross.”
“Uncle Bobby.”
“It’s good to have you back kid, I know your daddy has really missed you and Christopher too,” Bobby told John Ross sincerely. “He’s got no one to fight with when you’re not here,” he then added with a twinkle that made John Ross and Christopher laugh.
“Oh come on we don’t fight all the time,” Christopher told his dad and the grownups exchanged some glances as they could all remember some of Christopher’s and John Ross’ disagreements over the years.
“Hey mom! Who are all these people?” Rebecca finally got tired of being a bystander and spoke up, her words earning her everyone’s attention.
“Mom?” Sue Ellen’s eyes widened in surprise. “Pam is this your daughter?”
“Yes, she’s mine and B…”
“Mark Graison or someone else’s daughter,” JR interrupted Pam and his remark earned him some annoyed glares from both Bobby and Pam.
“You! Your despicable man! I thought that you would stop bothering us about this,” Pam shouted at JR and Sue Ellen frowned.
“And I who thought that you had changed,” Sue Ellen said accusingly. “But I guess you’re still the same ol’ JR…”
“No I
have changed,” JR hurried to reassure Sue Ellen with a grin. “Of course we all know that Rebecca’s Bobby’s daughter too,” JR then added challengingly, his words completely stunning Sue Ellen.
“She’s Bobby’s what?” Sue Ellen stared from Bobby to Pam to the child.
“Daughter, Rebecca is mine and Bobby’s daughter,” Pam clarified for Sue Ellen, who was more than surprised by now.
“That’s strange I can’t remember that you two had a daughter…” Sue Ellen said confused and JR smiled his shit eating grin as his little ploy was having its desired effect on his ex-wife. “How old are you Rebecca?”
“Seven and who are you?” Rebecca wondered.
“Oh I guess I’m your aunt Sue Ellen,” Sue Ellen smiled unsurely, before she noticed the others giving her some strange looks. “Um…or maybe it’s just Sue Ellen, as I’m not married to your uncle JR anymore…”
“Aunt Sue Ellen will do just fine Rebecca,” Pam told her daughter before she turned towards John Ross and went on, “and this Rebecca is your cousin John Ross, he’s JR & Sue Ellen’s son.”
“Hi John Ross,” Rebecca smiled.
“Um…hi Rebecca,” John Ross said and shook hands with the kid, before he turned to Christopher. “So man, I guess you’ve gotten yourself a sister, huh?”
“Looks like,” Christopher said.
“Must be strange, I mean to have a sister pop up like that…I mean I had a brother do that to me…but at least he was a brother. I mean don’t you think having brothers are more fun than having sisters?” John Ross asked Christopher.
“I don’t know,” Christopher shrugged his shoulders. “I’ve never had a sister before and I just met her a few days ago…”
“I totally get that,” John Ross nodded, since he understood his cousin’s confusion about his new sister well. “So why didn’t you mention that your mom was back though?”
“Oh I don’t know…” Christopher shrugged his shoulders. “I guess I just didn’t think it was that important to mention…”
“Not important?” John Ross asked. “Come on, this is huge man,” John Ross disagreed. “I mean you’ve always wished for her to come back.”
“I know,” Christopher nodded sadly. “Still now when she is nothing’s like I imagined it to be. I mean she’s been here 4 days now and she still hasn’t talked to me about why she left or anything…” Christopher said sadly. “I don’t know it’s almost like if she’s avoiding me or something…”
As the boys continued talking Sue Ellen turned to Pam and said, “So what a surprise to find you here. JR didn’t mention anything about you coming back…”
“Well that doesn’t surprise me,” Pam rolled her eyes.
“So how long have you been back?”
“Four days,” Pam informed Sue Ellen, “and it’s not like we’re back for good. Rebecca and I are just here on a visit.”
“I see,” Sue Ellen nodded. “So Rebecca is 7,” Sue Ellen paused. “Doesn’t that mean that you were pregnant with her when you left?”
“Yes exactly,” Pam confirmed. “The letter was just a bad excuse. The real reason I left was because I was pregnant and the doctors all advised me to not…I was afraid that Bobby would…” Pam threw a glance at Rebecca who was ease-dropping on their conversation and Sue Ellen nodded.
“I see,” she simply stated as a glance of understanding was exchanged between the women.
“Fortunately it all went well and three and a half months after I’d run away Rebecca was born…” Pam finished and Sue Ellen smiled.
“She’s quite the little miracle child isn’t she?” Sue Ellen looked at the girl and for a brief moment she couldn’t help but wondering what her life would have been like if she hadn’t miscarried that second child.
Maybe it would have been fun to have a little daughter… Sue Ellen pondered before she brushed the idea off, as the idea was ridiculous, especially since she wasn’t even sure the child had been JR’s and she could never imaging herself giving birth to anyone else’s baby.
Feeling Sue Ellen’s eyes on him JR felt like he had to say something, although he had no idea of why she was looking at him like
that. “So are you jet-lagged after your flight darlin’?” He wondered in a concerned voice.
Sue Ellen smiled, as it sounded like he actually cared. “Not too badly yet, but I’m guessing it’ll show tonight,” Sue Ellen replied.
JR nodded at that before he turned to his son, “So John Ross isn’t it gonna be great to be back here for a few weeks?”
“Oh absolutely dad and you know what the best part of it all is?”
“No what’s that son?”
“That I’ve gotten rid of that jerk that Mama is married to for the rest of the summer…” John Ross grinned.
“John Ross!” Sue Ellen exclaimed, apparently embarrassed.
“Oh come on Mama, you know he’s not exactly the children friendly type…” John Ross said and JR grinned, as his son was playing him straight into his hands. Sue Ellen twisted a little and looked uncomfortable when Ray suddenly arrived on the scene. He was all sweaty as he’d just gotten back from his morning ride.
“Sue Ellen,” he tipped his hat off to her.
She smiled politely acknowledging him, “Ray.”
“John Ross! Great to see you again,” Ray tousled John Ross’ hair.
“You too uncle Ray,” John Ross smiled.
“Good that you’re back Ray, you’re right in time for lunch,” Clayton smiled.
“Great, I’m starved,” Ray smiled.
“Good,” Miss Ellie smiled at Ray before looking around at her family. “But before lunch I would like to propose a toast to us Ewings. Since it’s been a long time since I’ve had almost all my family gathered together…”
“Great idea Mama, come on everybody let’s go get some champagne…” JR grinned before he saw Sue Ellen giving him a stern look. “And some club soda for you darlin’ and the kids of course,” JR then added and Sue Ellen smiled gratefully at him as the whole Ewing family started to walk into the living room. Coming indoors they met Teresa.
“Mrs. Ewing your bags are carried up to your old room,” Teresa told Sue Ellen.
“Thanks Teresa,” Sue Ellen replied, not even bothering to correct the woman that her name was Mrs. Lockwood now.
This didn’t go unnoticed by John Ross who smiled before he asked politely, “Teresa are my bags carried up to my room too?”
“Yes Mr. John Ross,” Teresa replied and John Ross smiled and thanked her before he followed his parents into the living room and soon Miss Ellie, Clayton, JR, Sue Ellen, John Ross, Bobby, Pam, Christopher, Rebecca and Ray were all gathered together, holding glasses in their hands.
JR raised his glass and said, “Have everybody gotten a glass?”
“Yes but Rebecca says she wants Cola,” Bobby smiled sheepishly.
JR threw his baby-brother a murderous glance before he muttered, “But you can’t toast in cola…”
“Sure she can. She is after all the youngest and newest addition to this family,” Miss Ellie reminded her son before she turned to Teresa. “Teresa, go and get a glass of cola for Miss Rebecca.”
“Yes ma’am,” Teresa said politely and the others held off on the toast until Rebecca had received her cola glass.
Then Miss Ellie raised her glass and said, “I would like to make a toast to the Ewing family. It feels so good to have almost my whole family all gathered together again and I hope we won’t ever fall apart again…”
“I second that Mama,” JR hurried to butt in. “May our future together be bright and let’s leave the past in the past. To a new beginning, cheers!”
“Cheers,” the others replied and a mumbles of “to a new beginning” or “to the Ewing family” could be heard among the others, as they clinked their glasses together and started zipping on their drinks.
Then suddenly a cheerful voice interrupted the celebration. “Hello everybody! You… Hey what’s this you’re having a celebration without me?”
The Ewing family looked up and was really surprised to see Lucy & Mitch standing at the door. “Lucy! You’re back!” Miss Ellie put down her glass and hurried over to greet her oldest grandchild with a warm hug.
“Yes we’re back,” Lucy smiled, before she lets go of her grandma. “You all remember Mitch huh?” Lucy asked and the others all nodded and looked somewhat amused. “I run into him on my trip to Australia, and you know me, always the impulsive one…we’ve gotten remarried again…” Lucy beamed.
The family looked somewhat surprised by this announcement but Miss Ellie just smiled since she knew that Lucy had always been a wild one, even when she was a young child who was spoiled rotten, she’d always had a will of her own. Seeing her granddaughter so happy warmed her heart, since in many ways Lucy was more than just a granddaughter. She was the daughter she’d never had and after raising her she knew her well enough to know that Lucy had always had a special place in her heart for Mitch. So this news brought her joy, “Oh that’s wonderful news,” Miss Ellie embraced Lucy again before turning to Mitch. “Mitch welcome back to the family,” she smiled before she hugged Mitch as well.
“Thanks Miss Ellie,” Mitch smiled and the rest of the family approached them too.
“Congratulations Lucy I always knew you and Mitch had something special,” Bobby hugged his niece.
“Yes we’re really very happy for you,” Pam said and Lucy’s smile stiffened, as she was shocked to see the woman in front of her.
“Pam?” Lucy exclaimed. “You’re back…” she then added, before she hugged her old aunt tightly. “Oh boy am I glad to see you!”
“Yeah it’s nice to see you too,” Pam smiled warmly before she introduced Rebecca to Lucy.
“Rebecca this is your cousin Lucy, Lucy meet Rebecca she’s Bobby’s and my daughter.”
“Your daughter?” Lucy smiled a bit amused. “Oh wow! How’s that for stealing my thunder? Here I thought Mitch and my marriage was the biggest news of the day!” Lucy grinned before she hugged Rebecca. Then Ray, Clayton, Christopher and John Ross also congratulated Lucy & Mitch on the wedding. Then at last JR reluctantly did the same and Lucy’s jaw dropped again when she noticed that Sue Ellen was back too.
“Sue Ellen!” Lucy exclaimed surprised.
Oh wow! I leave Southfork for a few weeks and when I return I find Sue Ellen and Pam here. It feels almost like old times, Lucy reflected.
“Congratulations Lucy, Mitch!” Sue Ellen smiled, before she hugged a stunned Lucy.
“Thanks Sue Ellen and what a surprise to find you here, I mean I thought you were the last person in the world that JR would want to see right now.”
“Why’s that?” Sue Ellen asked puzzled.
“Yeah why wouldn’t I wanna see Sue Ellen?” JR wondered, as his eyes narrowed with suspicion.
There’s something about Lucy’s smile that can’t mean good news, he reflected to himself and yet he wasn’t prepared for the final blow.
“So that she’s released the movie to the public doesn’t bother you then?” Lucy grinned triumphantly and both JR and Sue Ellen were taken aback by that statement whereas the others in the room had no idea just what Lucy was talking about. “The movie was great Sue Ellen. I must say that art really imitates real life sometimes!” Lucy added enthusiastically.
Sue Ellen couldn’t believe her ears.
Oh no he couldn’t have, or could he? She wondered silently, as she knew that there was only one person who could have released it and in her heart she didn’t want to believe that he could have gone against her wishes. “The movie?” Sue Ellen eventually asked, as to get it confirmed and seeing Lucy nod she then hesitantly looked around the room, since she just knew that this meant that all hell was about to break loose…
To be continued…