What If

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Excellent updates!

I'm kind of interested in Jock having fathered James though, just for the sheer chaos that would cause. If it's Jason then I'm still glad one of my guesses was correct.

The April and Jack plot is chugging along nicely, really cute :)
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Oh and JR? Don’t ever tell Sue Ellen to ‘shut up’ again. Unless it’s in a sexy way.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I'm glad that JR/SE are able to work through this and it was good to see JR actually reflect upon that the first time Sue Ellen cheated on him was with his brother. It makes sense that it's a bitter pill to swallow and it's also great that you address the fact that JR wants to move past it but that it's two different things to forgive his brother and Sue Ellen for it and to accept that it happened. But yeah to forgive and accept is all an important part of the healing process.

I guess it could be nice for Jack having a brother, considering that his sister and parents are dead. So he doesn't have that much immediate family.

I look forward to hear Vanessa's explaination when James and Lucy goes to confront her.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 95


***

"Mornin' everyone," JR appeared at the breakfast table and sat down in his usual spot.


"Good morning, JR," Ellie smiled at him. "You're looking well rested "


"Yes. I am," JR smiled to himself. He and Sue had made love several times the night before, until they had both collapsed from exhaustion and slept like rocks.


"You coming to the office this morning?" Bobby asked his brother.


"No. I thought I'd stick close to the house today. Hey, Ray," JR deliberately engaged the other man in conversation, "I was planning to take Lucy, James, and the boys down to the firing range later. Want to come along?"


"Well, that depends, JR," Ray sat back in his chair and shot him a suspicious look.


"On what?"


"On whether you're planning to use me as your target."


JR laughed heartily and shook his head. "Nope. Just some good ol' fashioned aiming practice."


"In that case, yeah. I'd like to come with you guys."


"Speaking of James and Lucy," Pam interjected, "where are they this morning?"


"They left early," Ellie informed her. "Said James has an errand to run in Dallas. They'll be back before lunch."


"Good morning," Sue Ellen nodded at everyone as she glided into the room.


JR stood and pulled her chair out for her. "Darlin'" he greeted her with a kiss on the cheek and pushed her chair in once she was seated.


"Sue Ellen, do you happen to be going over to the new house today?" Pam asked her.


"Yes, I am. They're delivering the last of the new furniture today. Want to keep me company?"


"I'd love to," Pam smiled. "I picked out some things for Christopher's room that I'd like to take over."


"Wonderful," Sue Ellen nodded at her sister-in-law.


"Well," Bobby said, standing up, "I'd better get to the office. Someone has to make a living around here."


JR chuckled and winked at his brother. "You're the President. Heavy is the head that wears the crown."


Bobby laughed along with his brother before bending down to kiss Pam goodbye. "See you tonight."


"I'd better get moving too," Clayton said, standing up. "Jack will be home from April's soon. Don't want him beating me to work."


"Patricia and I are going into town this morning," Ellie told her husband. "We'll be back after lunch."


Clayton nodded and walked from the room.


"I'm going to go round up the boys and see if they want take a ride with me over to the new house," JR said, leaning over to kiss Sue Ellen's cheek before standing up. "I'll see you ladies over there later."


"Well, well," Ray said thoughtfully once JR was gone.

"He's certainly in a better mood than he was in the last time I saw him."


"Yes," Sue Ellen blushed slightly. "We had a… nice talk last night."


"Talk!" Pam repeated and laughed. "That smile on his face is a result of more than a talk!"


Sue Ellen's cheeks grew even redder."Well, we all use what we have," she repeated the line JR said to her often.


"Good for you!" Ellie clapped her hand on the table while Pam and Ray laughed. "That's our girl!"


***


"Who are you?" Vanessa demanded, looking past James and narrowing her gaze on Lucy.


"Her name is Lucy Ewing," James informed his mother coldly. "She's my cousin."


"Your cousin? I take it the paternity test proved JR is your father?"


"No. It didn't. Do you really want to do this in the hallway or are you going to invite us in?"


Vanessa moved away from the door to let them enter.


"If JR isn't your father, then she's not your cousin."


"Now see, you'd think that, wouldn't you?"


"Does this mean you're ready to give up this nonsense and come back to Europe with me to claim your rightful place as a Brumin?"


"No, mother," James said tightly. "I'm not a Brumin, I'm a Ewing. And you know that."


"You just said the test proved JR wasn't your father."


"That's true. But it also proved he is either my uncle or my cousin."


Vanessa's eyes grew wide with shock, "But that's not… how can a blood test…"


"It wasn't a blood test mother. It was a DNA test. Amazing how far science has advanced. They can tell a lot more from a paternity test than they used to be able to."


"Why are you here, James?"


"I had a second test yesterday. Will have the results today sometime. More than likely I'll know exactly who my real father is before I got to bed tonight. But I want to know how you met him. I want to know what he was like. I want to know if you cared for him."


"I see," Vanessa replied cooly. "And if I tell you these things, will you keep the results to yourself and come back home with me to fight Nestor for what is rightfully ours?"


"No mother. I have no right to the Brumin name, legacy, or money. I'm going to stay here with my family."


"Then why should I tell you anything?"


"Because you're my mother," James replied. "And I hoped you would be willing to do this one single decent thing for me - your son. Your own flesh and blood."


"My son? You exist for one purpose, to ensure my share of the Brumin trust. If you refuse to serve that purpose then I have no use for you. Get out. I'll take my secrets to my grave before I give you one moment's peace."


"What an awful woman you are!" Lucy spoke for the first time.


"I have been called worse by better," Vanessa bristled. "Now. Get out."


"You nasty old bag of bones…"


"It's okay, Lucy," James interrupted her. "Let's just go."


"James, if you walk out that door I will disown you," Vanessa warned.


"That's alright, mother," James managed a bitter smile. "I disowned you already."


***


Pam pushed open the front door of JR and Sue Ellen's new home and stopped in her tracks. "Oh, my Lord!"


"What is it?" Sue Ellen asked from behind her. "If JR and the boys made a mess in here, I swear I'll…" she stopped talking and looked around with wide eyes. "When did he have time to do this?" she breathed out.


"It didn't take long," JR answered. He was sitting on the newly delivered sofa in the living room. "Just a quick call to the florist before I left the house this morning." He stood up and walked over to where the women were standing by the front door. "The boys are upstairs in Christopher's room waiting for you," he told Pam.


"Well, I shouldn't keep them waiting then," Pam winked at him. She tightened her grip on the bags that contained Christopher's things and headed up the stairs.


"JR…" Sue Ellen's eyes swept around the house. There were yellow roses everywhere, "this is too much."


"Yes," JR agreed.


"Why?"


"For all the years. All the hurt. Just saying thanks for sticking with me. And apologizing in advance for being an ass in the future."


"Are you going to be an ass in the future, JR?"


"Yes," JR chuckled. "It's what I am Sue Ellen. You know that. Sometimes I won't be able to help myself."


"And this thing with Ray?" she pushed him.


"I'll do my best, honey. I promise. It's hard. But…"


"But what?"


"But I'll get over it. Eventually. And until I do, I'll do my very best not to take it out on you. When I fail, you can yell at me and smack me around. Deal?"


"No deal, JR," Sue Ellen looked him in the eyes. "I think I have more effective ways of putting you back in your place than yelling or smacking you around."


"That's absolute gospel," he grinned, pulling her into his arms, "and I like your idea for keeping me in line a whole lot better than mine."


***


"Married?" Cliff gasped. "Really?"


"Really," April laughed.


They were having lunch together, trying to catch up on everything going on in their lives since they hadn't seen each other for several days.


"When?"


"We haven't talked about setting a date yet. We just got engaged last night!"


"I'm so happy for you. Congratulations."


"Thanks, Cliff. I am thinking it will be a small wedding. I was hoping…"


"What?"


"Would you give me away?"


Cliff smiled a wide genuine smile. "No, April. I'll never give you away. But it would be my honor to escort you down the aisle and present you to Jack for marriage."


"You're so sweet sometimes," April leaned forward and squeezed his hand. "Thank you."


"Don't tell anyone," Cliff winked at her. "Gonna be a lot of wedding bells around here. You and Jack. Pam.and Bobby."


"Any chance you and Afton will join the fun?"


"No," Cliff sighed. "Not for a while anyway."


"Anything you want to talk about?"


"No," Cliff told her. "I just want to wait until I can trust she's done with the drugs forever. I love her. But I love Pammy more. I have to do what's right by my daughter. If Afton can't stay clean, then she'll have to go."


"She hasn't done anything to make you think she's using again, has she?"


"No," Cliff admitted. "It's just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. And I hope it's wrong, April. I pray to God it's wrong."


***


"James and Lucy seem to be really bonding."


JR turned his head and looked at Ray. "I'm happy about that. It's good for her to have someone closer to her own age around here to hang out with."


Ray nodded. They were silent for a while as they watched the younger Ewings unload their guns at targets.


"John Ross and Christopher need a lot more practice," JR finally said. "I need to make time to bring them down here more often."


*Are we okay, JR?" Ray blurted out.


"I was thinking today," JR mused, "about the way we were back then. Always chasing a skirt. Not so friendly competition."


"Yeah. So?"


"So, if the situation had been reversed… I mean if I had been you and a woman like Sue Ellen showed up in front of me drunk and needy… I guess I would have done the same thing you did."


"JR…" Ray shifted uncomfortably.


"I'm just being honest Ray. We didn't know we were brothers. It's my fault she was outside, drunk and looking for attention. But I just gotta know one thing."


"What?"


"She's my wife Ray. I loved her then, but not like I love her now. So I gotta know - do you ever think of her like that now? Do you still want her?"


"JR, no. The day after, well, I won't lie. I was hoping we could make it an ongoing thing. But she wouldn't even give me the time of day. Even insisted that I call her Mrs. Ewing. I moved on and forgot all about it. Over the years I have come to love and respect her. As a sister and a friend. That's it. Sue Ellen isn't that same woman anymore. And I'm not that same man."


JR nodded and turned his gaze back to the range. "I guess we're okay then."


"Good," Ray sighed. "Because I happen to love my brother too."


JR cut his eyes back to Ray's face. "And your brother loves you," he grunted. "Just don't expect me to admit it in polite company."


***


"Having fun?"


"Oh yes, Mrs. Ew..I mean Sue Ellen. I really love these afternoon swim times."


"Being a Ewing has it's good points, James. I want to apologize to you for all the drama yesterday."


"No need. Every family has drama."


"I guess that's true, but I can't imagine any family having as much as we do!"


James laughed and shook his head. "I… I just want to thank you again for being so kind to me. I know you're probably relieved that I'm not JR's son, but I would have really liked to have you as a step-mother."


"Oh, James, I am so happy to have you in this family. Truly. And don't worry. I may not be your step-mother, but I'm a pretty awesome aunt or cousin-in-law. Just ask Christopher or Lucy."


"I don't need to ask them," James smiled at her. "I can already tell."


"James!" Miss Ellie yelled his name from the sliding glass door leading into the kitchen. "JR and Jack have Dr. Parks on the phone!"


"Wish me luck," he stood and turned to walk away.


"James," she grabbed his hand and stopped him. "You don't need luck, do you understand me? You're a Ewing. You have us now. We're all you'll ever need."


***


"Thank you, Dr. Parks," JR said. "We appreciate all you've done for us."


"Absolutely. Happy to help. Don't forget Mrs. Ewing has an appointment with me next week."


"She'll be there," JR promised and pushed the button to kill the phone call. "Well..now we know."


James stood rock still, his gaze fixed on the floor. "I really am a Ewing. Ray?"


"Yes, James?"


"Can I… I mean, would it be okay if I called Charlie? I have a sudden urge to apologize to her again."


"Anytime you want," Ray told him. "It will make her happy to hear from you."


"We're cousins now," James mused.


"In every way that counts, yes,' Ray agreed.


"James?"


James raised his eyes and locked his gaze with Jack's. "Yes?"


"I want to show you something."


Jack pulled his wallet out of his pants and took out a picture. "Her name is...was Jamie. She was your sister." He handed the picture to the younger man and waited while James studied it.


"She was very pretty. Sue Ellen told me a lot about her. I wish I had known her."


"She would have loved you,' Jack told him. "Immediately and without questions."


"Can we… Jack, can we go somewhere and talk?"


"Yes," Jack put his arm around James. "Let's go down to the stables….brother."


***


"James and Jack aren't back yet?" Sue Ellen wondered out loud. "They missed dinner."


"No," April shook her head. "They have a lot to talk about I guess."


"I'll keep something warm for them," Ellie promised. "Michelle, it's so nice to have you here tonight. I hope you'll come visit more often now that April and Jack have become engaged."


"Wait...you know?" April asked, shocked.


"Oh, honey, Clayton knew," Sue Ellen giggled. "That man can't keep a secret to save his life!"


"We weren't hiding it," April said quickly. "We just thought…"


"You'd wait for the drama to die down?" Ellie laughed. "You'd be waiting forever. There's always drama around here."


"I… I hope you're all happy about it."


"We're all thrilled. Sue Ellen and I both jumped with joy," Ellie assured her. "Come on. Let's fix some plates for your man and your soon to be brother-in-law."


"Congratulations, April," Sue Ellen winked at her as she followed Miss Ellie back into the kitchen.


"Mrs. Ewing?"


Sue Ellen turned her attention to Michelle, who remained beside her at the patio table. "Please call me Sue Ellen. I understand you're working at April's restaurant now. How is that going?"


"Very well," Michelle smiled. "I enjoy it a lot. April has let me take over some things. She says I have a real gift for it."


"Good," Sue Ellen smiled. "So you'll be staying in Dallas?"


"Yes. Sue Ellen… I owe you an apology."


"For what?"


"The way I acted the last time I was here. I flirted with your husband. It was disrespectful to you and I sincerely apologize."


Sue Ellen grinned and shook her head. "My husband is a very wealthy, very attractive man. I can understand why you'd be tempted to flirt with him."


"Yes. Still. I'm sorry."


"Michelle, you're April's sister. I love her and she clearly loves you. Let's just forget the whole thing...with one very serious warning. JR is mine. He loves me. And I love him. He gets… tempted around young, pretty girls. In the past he has given into that temptation. I won't ever let that happen again. Do you understand me?"


"Yes. You won't have to worry about me anymore. I promise."


"I wouldn't have to be worried no matter what," Sue Ellen told her cooly. "Still, I'm glad to know you won't try again."


"'I won't."


"Good. Then I see absolutely no reason why we can't be friends."


"You are an amazing woman," Michelle told her.


"Yes. My husband thinks so too."


"Hey ladies,"Jack said before Michelle could respond. "I can't seem to find April."


"She's in the kitchen with Miss Ellie fixing you two plates."


"Ah," Jack smiled. "Oh, James, this is April's sister Michelle. Michelle, this is James…. My brother."


"Hi," Michelle held out her hand to him.


"Nice to meet you," James took her hand and shook it.


Sue Ellen and Jack exchanged knowing looks when James held on to Michelle's hand a bit too long.


"Come on," Jack clapped James on his back. "Let's go find my woman and get some food."


"Lucy!" JR suddenly appeared on the patio. "Get out of the pool and come inside. Your parents are on the phone."


Lucy climbed out of the pool and grabbed a towel to dry off. "Everything okay, JR?"


"Just fine. I called Gary to tell him his pitiful 49ers are playing the Cowboys in a couple weeks. I invited him to come watch the slaughter in person."


"Oh, it'll be a slaughter alright," Michelle mumbled. "The Niners are gonna kill Dallas."


"You think so?" JR asked. "Why?"


"Two words…" Michelle started


"Joe Montana," James finished for her.


"Exactly," Michelle smiled. "Excuse me, Sue Ellen. I think I'll go into the kitchen with Jack and James."


Sue Ellen nodded and smiled as Michelle stood and walked away behind the two men.


"Did I miss something?" JR asked, flopping down in the chair Michelle had vacated.


Sue Ellen smiled and reached out to take his hand. "Time will tell."


***


"Michelle apologized to me tonight," Sue Ellen said, laying her brush on the vanity.


"Oh yeah? For what?" JR closed his book and put it on the bedside table.


"Flirting with my husband," she said triumphantly. "I told you I had reason to be jealous!"


"You happen to be jealous now?" he watched as she took off her robe and climbed into the bed. "Because as I recall, the jealous sex was pretty hot."


"Sorry, JR," she laughed at him. "I have absolutely no reason to be jealous of Michelle. Or any other woman."


"Is that so?" he teased her."Are you sure?"


"100 percent sure. Just as you have no reason to be jealous of any other man."


"Can I ask you a question?"


"Of course."


"Do you even know who Joe Montana is?"


"Of course I do, JR," she rolled her eyes. "He's that handsome man with those gorgeous eyes who does all those commercials about going to Disney World."


JR burst out laughing and reached for her. He pulled her over until she was resting on top of him. "I thought my eyes were the only eyes on a man you thought were gorgeous."


"Yours aren't just gorgeous, JR. They're soul crushing."


"Make love to me, Miss Texas."


"You're wish," she said, positioning herself on top of him, "is my command."


***


The shrill ringing of the telephone woke JR out of a deep sleep. He sat up and blindly reached for the phone. "Hello?" he reached for his watch and saw it was 3:18 a.m. "Who? Who is this? Yeah. Hang on."


"What's wrong, JR?" Sue Ellen asked, her voice thick with sleep


"Dallas Memorial," he answered shortly, getting out of bed and putting on his robe. "They're looking for James.'


Sue Ellen climbed out of bed, threw on a robe, and followed JR into the hallway. He knocked several times on James's door before the other man appeared. "JR?"


"There's a phone call for you. It's Dallas Memorial hospital."


James wiped the sleep from his eyes and moved back into the bedroom to pick up the phone. "Yes? This is James Brumin."


"What's going on?" Lucy asked Sue Ellen in the hallway. "Who is calling here at this time of the night?"


Sue Ellen put her finger to her mouth to indicate Lucy should hush.


"It's my mother," James said, appearing back in the doorway. "Massive coronary. They said it's bad and she wants to see me."


"We'll take you," Sue Ellen said immediately. "Just give us a few minutes to get dressed."


"I'm going too," Lucy said.


Sue Ellen nodded at her niece. "Good. And call Jack over at April's."


"Okay," Lucy disappeared back down the hall and into her room.


"You all don't have to go…"


"Of course we do," JR corrected him. "We're family."


Sue Ellen reached out and touched the young man's shoulder. "Are you alright?"


"Yeah. I don't even… It's awful I know, but I don't even feel anything."


Sue Ellen moved forward and gave him a quick hug. "It's alright. Get dressed. We'll meet you downstairs in ten minutes."


***
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
:for:Ah well, I also feel nothing. NOTHING!!!

Except for JR and Sue Ellen and all the feels!!!

I am SO proud of you Sue Ellen! I knew you could do it!!!!! :for::for:
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Ding-dong, the witch is dead! Which old witch? The wicked witch
Ding-dong, the wicked witch is dead.... Too soon?....... I don't care. I want her to die. I am confused though, don't you need a heart to have a massive coronary?

:for:Ah well, I also feel nothing. NOTHING!!!

Except for JR and Sue Ellen and all the feels!!!

I am SO proud of you Sue Ellen! I knew you could do it!!!!! :for::for:



@Sarah I'm proud of our girl too. Whether she's being a sweetheart or a badass, she just rocks.
And I'm proud of JR. It looks like he found his big boy pants. Loved his surprise for Sue Ellen at their new house, and their other 'activities'. I have faith he'll do his best to keep it up, so for now I'm putting down the iron, but I'll be watching him.

*Are we okay, JR?" Ray blurted out.


"I was thinking today," JR mused, "about the way we were back then. Always chasing a skirt. Not so friendly competition."


"Yeah. So?"


"So, if the situation had been reversed… I mean if I had been you and a woman like Sue Ellen showed up in front of me drunk and needy… I guess I would have done the same thing you did."


"JR…" Ray shifted uncomfortably.


"I'm just being honest Ray. We didn't know we were brothers. It's my fault she was outside, drunk and looking for attention. But I just gotta know one thing."


"What?"


"She's my wife Ray. I loved her then, but not like I love her now. So I gotta know - do you ever think of her like that now? Do you still want her?"


"JR, no. The day after, well, I won't lie. I was hoping we could make it an ongoing thing. But she wouldn't even give me the time of day. Even insisted that I call her Mrs. Ewing. I moved on and forgot all about it. Over the years I have come to love and respect her. As a sister and a friend. That's it. Sue Ellen isn't that same woman anymore. And I'm not that same man."


JR nodded and turned his gaze back to the range. "I guess we're okay then."
"Good," Ray sighed. "Because I happen to love my brother too."


JR cut his eyes back to Ray's face. "And your brother loves you," he grunted. "Just don't expect me to admit it in polite company."
#

Loved both these moments with JR and Ray. Funny and sweet.
And all the other family moments too. It's awesome to see how (most of the time) they got to bat for each other when the shit hits the fan.

Now if I could just get Cliff to listen about Afton, the whole family could be sorted.

Lastly now I've gone on and ON. I just wanna say I'm proud of myself for picking up these other moments when it really is all about JR and Sue Ellen.
 
Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 96


***


"Hey," Jack said breathlessly. "We got here as soon as we could."


"Thanks for coming," James looked up and gave Jack and April small smiles. "You didn't have to."


"Sure we did," Jack replied, sitting down beside him. "Any news?"


"They're going to do a bypass. They said I could see her before they take her in for surgery."


"I'm sure she'll be fine," Jack patted him on the back.


"We brought coffee," April said, handing everyone a cup.


"You're a lifesaver," Lucy told her. "The coffee from the machines is nothing but sludge."


"Mr. Brumin?" a nurse appeared in front of him. "You can see her now. Only for a few minutes. We need to prep her for surgery."


James nodded and stood up. "Be back soon," he said, following the nurse down the hallway.


"Should I go with him you think?" Jack asked.


"No," Sue Ellen shook her head. "He needs to talk to her alone. He'll be fine, Jack. After all; he's a Ewing."


***


"I guess I can forget getting any more sleep," Clayton grumbled and sat up in the bed.


"I'm sorry, Clayton," Ellie sighed. "I should get up and go downstairs."


"No, it's alright. What's on your mind?"


"Oh, so many things. Thinking about James and what turmoil he must be feeling, finding out Jason was his father and his mother having a heart attack on the same night. Thinking about Ray and JR and wondering if they're relationship will ever be the same. Wondering if April and Jack will come to live at Southfork after the wedding. Worried about JR and Sue Ellen. And the boys. So much upheaval and it never seems to end."


"James will adjust. Ray and JR will work things out. April and Jack will decide where to live soon. JR and Sue Ellen will come through this all stronger. And the boys are dealing with everything beautifully."


"You make it all sound so simple."


"That's because it is simple, Ellie. The kids can work through their own problems. You lying awake all night fretting over them isn't helping anyone."


"I just can't help it, Clayton."


"You have to let go, Ellie. They're grown men and women with their own lives and everyone seems to be navigating through all their problems on their own."


"I suppose you're right. For so many years, that wasn't the case."


"There's been a lot of growing up and maturing around here lately. Ellie, they're always going to need their mother, but not to solve their problems. They can do that themselves." he started to get out of bed, but Ellie put her hand on his arm to stop him.


"Where are you going?"


"To put on a pot of coffee."


"That can wait a while," she smiled at him.


"Oh it can, can it?" he grinned at her. "That happens to suit me just fine."


***


"Mother?"


"Don't stand there skulking in the doorway, James," Vanessa said in a weak voice. "Come in here and sit down."


James moved into the room and sat down beside the bed. "How are you feeling?"


"How do you think I feel?" she snapped. "Just sit there, be quiet, and listen."


James nodded and waved his hand to encourage her to continue.


"I'm dying, James. The doctors say they're going to try to fix me, but my heart is very damaged. If I make it through the surgery, it'll be a miracle."


"I never wanted to be a mother. But I had no choice. My father married me to Allister Brumin to secure my future. The only way to do that was to have a child."


"Your father… Allister and I never got along. We rarely had sex, and when we did it was only in the hope that I'd get pregnant. I came to the US not to see the country, but to get away from him for a while."


"When I met JR, he was so young and handsome and full of life. I did care for him. But he took things too far. He had some stupid fantasy that I'd leave my husband and move to Texas to live on a ranch with him. There was never the slightest chance that would happen. Towards the end, we were constantly arguing. His own family insisted we stop seeing each other, but JR wouldn't give up."


"I was frustrated. I wanted to go back to Europe, but by that time Allister had come after me. He insisted I break it off with JR in person, not just run away. He was worried JR would follow me back to England and cause a scandal."


"I arranged to meet JR in a restaurant one evening. I was going to tell him that it was over and I was going back to England with my husband. He never showed though. I discovered later that Jock Ewing had deliberately prevented him from meeting me that night. I waited a long time. And had a few drinks at the bar. I met a cowboy with the most gorgeous eyes. He was funny and charming and so mysterious and sexy. I ended up going back to his hotel room. It wasn't until after the deed was done that he told me his name; Jason Ewing."


"The next morning I lied to your father that I had spent the night with JR and said goodbye. We went back to Europe. JR called me a few times, begging me to come back, but eventually he gave up and I never saw or heard from the Ewings again. You were born nine months later. I had no idea who your father was and I didn't care. I had my heir, that's all that mattered."


"That's all I ever was to you, wasn't it."


"Yes. No point in lying about it now. I told you I never wanted to be a mother. Not before you were born, and not after. It doesn't matter now. You have your family. And I certainly won't need the Brumin fortune from my grave."


"Alright, Mother. Thank you for telling me the truth. I'll be here when you get out of surgery."


"Why? I don't want or need you here."


'Maybe not. But I need to be here. That's just what family does for each other. The Ewings taught me that."


He held his head high and walked from the room. He finally knew the truth. He felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.


***


"Sue Ellen?"


Sue Ellen woke, startled, and sat up straight in her chair. "Yes?"


"I'm going down to the cafeteria with Lucy," Jr whispered. "Want me to bring you anything?"


"Just coffee," she turned her head and saw James was still sleeping soundly in the chair beside her. "Bring some for him too."


JR nodded and leaned forward to kiss her gently on the mouth. It had been hours already and there had been no word about Vanessa's condition. Sue Ellen had sat beside James the whole time, holding his hand and offering him quiet support. JR had sat across from them and watched in admiration and awe until she and James had both drifted off to sleep. "I'll be back soon. I love you."


"Love you too, JR," she gave him a tired smile.


He nodded and stood up. It occurred to him for the thousandth time how lucky he was to have this incredible woman for his wife.


***


"If you're sure that's what you want, it's fine with me," Bobby said, straightening his tie. "Gary and Valene are coming for a visit in a couple of weeks. We can do it then if you want."


"Two weeks?" Pam said thoughtfully. "I don't know if Sue Ellen and I can get everything organized by then."


"Well, talk to her and see if it's possible. I'd really like for Gary to be at our wedding. And the sooner you're officially my wife again, the better."


"I suppose I should talk to April and make sure I'm not stepping on her toes. It would be disastrous if we planned our weddings on the same day."


"Yes. Pam, about April, there's something I've been meaning to tell you…"


"I already know, Bobby," Pam said softly. "I overheard the two of you talking in the kitchen a while back."


"Why didn't you say anything?"


"I was waiting for you to tell me. Besides, it didn't seem that important."


"Oh no?" Bobby asked, surprised by her reaction.


"I was gone. So was Jack. The two of you were spending a lot of time together. She's a beautiful woman, you're a handsome man. It's only natural."


"We never… I mean it never got serious…"


"It's okay, Bobby," Pam laughed. "Really. I'm glad you had such a good friend while I was away."


"I love you, Mrs. Ewing."


Pam walked over and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Right back at you, Mr. Ewing."


***


"Mr. Brumin?"


"Yes?" James said, standing up to face the doctor. "How is she?"


"I'm sorry. Your mother suffered a stroke on the operating table. We did all we could, but she passed away about an hour ago."


James was silent. He didn't move a muscle.


"What happened, doctor?" Jack stood and placed his arm around Jame's shoulder.


"Ms. Beaumont had a long history of heart disease. She'd suffered minor heart attacks in the past, but this latest one was massive. There was a lot of damage. Her blood pressure was very high. We put her on a blood thinner. I'm afraid it loosened a blood clot and that caused her to suffer a stroke. There was nothing we could do."


"I need to send the body to England for burial," James said quietly. "When can I have it?"


"We'll release it after the autopsy. Probably tomorrow. Do you have any other questions?"


"No, doctor," James shook his hand. "Thank you."


"I'm so sorry, James," Jack told him.


"It's alright. I don't feel anything but tired. Can we go back to Southfork now?"


"Yes," Sue Ellen gave him a tight hug. "Yes, James. Let's go home."


***


"Cliff?"


Cliff stopped what he was doing and lifted his head. "Yeah?"


"Looking for something?"


Cliff shrugged and decided not to deny it. After all, there was no use now that she had caught him red handed rummaging around in her underwear drawer. "You know what I'm looking for."


"You won't find any drugs," Afton told him.


"What will I find?" Cliff demanded. "I know you're hiding something from me. I can feel it in my bones."


Afton sighed and came into the room, walking past him to the closet. She reached up and pulled a shopping bag from the top shelf. "It's in the bag," she told him, handing it over.


Cliff dug through the bag and sucked in a deep breath when he found what she'd been keeping from him. "You… you haven't taken it yet?"


"No. I've been too scared."


"Scared of what?"


"Of a positive result. You and I aren't ready for another baby."


"What makes you think you might be pregnant?"


"I'm over two weeks late."


"When were you planning to tell me?"


"Not until I had to."


He walked over and handed her the pregnancy test. "Go on. I'll wait out here."


"Cliff…"


"It's not going away, Afton. Get it over with. We'll deal with the results together, okay?"


"Okay, Cliff,* she said quietly.


He watched her walk into the bathroom and close the door behind her. He sank down onto the bed and buried his face in his hands. She was right. There was NO WAY they were ready for another baby.


***


"Poor James," Pam sighed. "How awful."


"Yes. I have to say he's holding up well though," Sue Ellen said.


"Unless it's just pure shock and adrenaline," April pondered.


"April, I hate to change the subject, but I was wondering. Have you and Jack thought about a wedding date?"


"Not really. We haven't had a lot of time to talk about it. Jack wants to do it as soon as possible though. He's getting tired of driving back and forth between my place and Southfork every day. Why?"


"Bobby and I are thinking about doing ours in a couple of weeks while Gary and Valene are in town… if that's okay with Sue Ellen of course. I just didn't want a scheduling conflict."


"That's fine with me, Pam," Sue Ellen told her. "JR and I are moving into the house this weekend. All we need is some flowers and a cake. We'll call a wedding planner this afternoon."


"You're getting married at Sue Ellen's place?" April laughed. "Jack and I were thinking of asking her if we could too! Her and JR's wedding there was so lovely."


"I hate that I missed it," Pam said wistfully. "The pictures from it are gorgeous!"


"Are you planning a big wedding?" April asked.


"Oh no. Bobby and I just want family. Very small."


"Same with me and Jack."


"Why don't you guys do a double wedding?" Sue Ellen suggested. "Sounds like the two of you are planning identical ceremonies anyway."


"Oh… no… Pam and Bobby deserve their own day," April insisted.


"Actually, I kind of like the idea," Pam said. "And it would keep poor Sue Ellen from having to host two weddings so close together."


"I don't know…," April hesitated. "Pam, are you sure?"


"Yes, I am. You talk to Jack and I'll talk to Bobby."


"Good," Sue Ellen said, standing up. "I'm going up to take a nap. See you ladies later.


"She has a way of solving problems and puzzles, doesn't she?" April said, watching Sue Ellen float from the room.


"Yes, she does. She wasn't always this way, but now? She's the rock we all hold onto in our storms. We're all so lucky to have her."


***


Cliff looked at the pregnancy test and breathed a heavy sigh of relief. "Thank God."


Afton said nothing, she brushed past him out of the bathroom and back into the bedroom.


"I guess you should go see one of those female doctors," Cliff followed her into the room and sat down on the bed. "Find out why your period is late."


"Probably," Afton said shortly.


"Hey," Cliff's voice sounded concerned. "Aren't you relieved? You said yourself we aren't ready for a baby."


"No. We certainly aren't."


"What's wrong, Afton?"


"You just seem so...happy. Like you can't stand the thought of having another child with me! I mean, is it me? Or are you afraid our other children will be like Pammy?"


"Whoa. Hang on, honey. I want more children with you. A whole houseful maybe. Just not yet. Neither of us are ready. And Pammy needs all of our attention right now anyway."


"I know, Cliff."


"Then what is it?"


"I just… I don't know, Cliff, I just want you to love me."


"Oh, Afton. I do. With all my heart. And if you had been pregnant, I would have loved that baby too. But it's for the best. We have our whole lives ahead of us for more children. Right now I just think we need to concentrate on keeping you clean and loving each other and the kid we already have. Okay?"


"Okay, Cliff," Afton wiped away a stray tear. "Okay."


***


Sue Ellen stretched and glanced over at the clock beside the bed. It was after 1:00. She'd slept for several hours.


"Hello, sleepyhead," JR's deep voice intruded on her thoughts. She looked over and saw him sitting in his favorite chair, watching her. "How long have you been there, JR?"


"A while," he admitted. "I like watching you sleep."


"Why is that?"


"It's the only time I get to enjoy your beauty in silence," he laughed.


Sue Ellen rolled her eyes. "Have you talked to James?"


"Yes. He's holding up well. He went down to the stables with Ray and Jack."


"I feel so awful for him."


"Don't," JR grunted. "He's better off with her gone."


"Yes. But she was his mother, JR."


"She may have given birth to him, but she wasn't much of a mother."


He stood up and moved to join her on the bed. "How about a little afternoon loving?"


Sue Ellen burst out laughing. "You have such a one track mind!"


"I can't help it," he breathed out, bending his head to kiss her. "You're the one who does this to me. Besides, I have something to celebrate."


"Oh yeah? What's that?"


"Harry McSween called me. He found out who was causing all the trouble with the Senate bill."


"Really? Who?"


"Marilee Stone. And here's the best part. She paid a junior Senator from Colorado to try to push the bill through faster just to mess up our plans. Harry has the bitch dead to rights on bribery. She's not only out of the oil business. She could go to jail unless she does exactly what I want."


"Seriously, JR?"


"Seriously, Miss Texas."


"Well, that is something to celebrate," she whispered seductively, lying back down against her pillows. "Come here."


JR grinned and moved over top of her. "Yes, ma'am."


***
 
Last edited:

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Afton needs to work on herself before anything else. She might be sober but she's still got all of that past trauma to deal with and rekindling things with Cliff + resuming fulltime parenting of Pammy is a lot to put on her plate all at once.

JR and Sue Ellen are hilariously single minded when they're alone ;)

I like this new chilled out Pam.

Vanessa I sort of feel bad even though she was awful...
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Woohoo Ding Dong the witch IS dead. And no I'm NOT sorry.
However apart from the stroke I don't think the doc knew what he was on about because after her talk with James I'm totally convinced she was heartless and evil.
Love my Sue Ellen even more after this chapter. Seeing her support James is so sweet Pam is right. They're lucky to have her.
JR is still such a horndog with his wife, but I love him too. And they are fabulous, sweet and hot together.
Love Miss Ellie too, but I'm happy to see Clayton talk some sense to her as well as comfort her. It's sweet how much she loves her family, but it is ok to let go and (most of the time, lol) they'll be ok.

I had a feeling Pam and April would end up thinking about a double wedding. I wonder what their boys will think?.
And I've decided 4 weddings isn't overkill and JR and Sue Ellen should join in (especially if she has to plan it)

I worry about Cliff. I still don't trust Afton.

And :laughing: at the end. Marilee will look fabulous in a prison jumpsuit I'm sure. Though it might be funnier for her to be JR (no Sue Ellen's actually) bitch.

And thanks for the warning about how many parts are left. I'm still not ready though
 
Last edited:

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Firstly - I AM SO PROUD OF MY GIRL - If I were JR I'd marry her ten and twenty times over!!!!! She's AMAZING and such a lady that could knock stripes off any of them. Take lessons women!

Secondly, I could not care one jot about Vanessa. Not gonna lie about it. Why would I, 30 years on? Cheerio!

Thirdly, I still can't stand Afton. The last thing the world needs is her to procreate. Cliff deserves better.

Fourthly (cos there has to be a fourthly), I'm still not sold on Pam - is it really Pam or is there going to be some big reveal that it is actually Katherine with a mask on?

Fifthly (sorry), Marilee can rot.

Sixthly - Still prefer April with Bobby.

Seventhly - did Miss Ellie and Clayton just have sex? I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

Lastly - only 3 more chapters???????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.


:love6:
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 97


***


"JR! Please be careful with that!"


JR rolled his eyes, "Just tell me where you want the damn thing."


"Right over there," Sue Ellen pointed.


JR and James dutifully walked to the designated spot and carefully set the vanity down.


"I swear," JR grumbled, "we lived in one damn room at Southfork but it feels like we've carried over enough stuff to fill up the whole damn house."


"Stop complaining, JR," Sue Ellen growled at him.


"No," he grinned at her and winked.


"I think this is the last load of your clothes," April groaned, her arms full of dresses and frocks. "Jack is behind me with JR's suits."


"Thank you, April. Just put it all on the bed. I'll hang everything up later."


"You need me to move anything else at the moment?" JR asked his wife.


"No, run along and don't be in the way."


JR laughed, walked over to her and smacked her on the behind. "Be nice, Miss Texas or I won't help you break in the new bathtub tonight."


"Yes you will," Sue Ellen retorted.


JR threw back his head and laughed deeply. "You're right. Yes I will." He kissed her on the cheek and moved away from her. "Come on, James. Let's go downstairs and grab a beer before she changes her mind and finds something else for us to do."


***


"That it?" Bobby asked Harv Smithfield.


"Yes. Ewing Oil now owns all of Stonesworth Oil, lock stock, and barrel."


"Great," Cliff stood up. "It's a real shame we had to cut a deal that kept Marilee out of jail though."


"Yes," Bobby agreed. "But JR is right. This is better for the company in the long term."


"True. Can't have everything I guess."


"I'll file the paperwork this afternoon," Harv told them. "See you boys soon."


"Damn," Cliff sighed, looking at his watch. "I'm late meeting Afton at counseling. I'll call you later."


"Okay. Oh, hey, Cliff, did you talk to Pam and April about giving them both away?"


"Yep. Bringing them both down the aisle at the same time."


"Good," Bobby nodded. "Glad they worked it out. This double wedding thing seemed like a good idea until we actually had to start hammering out the details."


"The devil is always in the details," Cliff said. "I'll see you later."


Phyllis came into Bobby's office as Cliff was leaving. "Bobby, Ray is on line four. He says it's an emergency."


Bobby nodded and snatched up the phone. "Ray? What's wrong? Uh huh. Damn. Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. No. He's helping Sue Ellen and JR move into the new house today. Yeah. I'll head over there now. Don't do anything until you hear back from me."


Bobby put down the phone and grabbed his jacket and briefcase. "Son-of-a-bitch," he muttered to himself on the way out the door.


***


"This place looks awesome," Mitch said, taking a sip of beer.


"Sue Ellen has worked really hard on it," Lucy told him. "I know she'll be glad to finally be able to settle in."


"Thanks for inviting me over," Mitch told her. "I was going nuts in that hotel room."


"Any luck finding an apartment yet?"


"I haven't actually even looked yet. I spent all day yesterday doing paperwork for the new job at the hospital. Afton is supposed to go with me apartment hunting tomorrow."


"Everything better between the two of you?"


"We're mending our fences," he shrugged. "She looks healthy and happy though. And Pammy, did you know she was saying real words now?"


"Really?"


"Yep. She can say blocks and paint and juice. She really seems to be coming out of her shell."


"That's amazing. I'm so glad to hear it."


"You should go see her. She misses you. In fact, I'm supposed to have dinner over there tonight. Why don't you go with me?"


"Oh, I don't know, Mitch. I'm not sure I'm ready to be around Afton again yet."


"You're going to have to get used to her being around. She's coming to the wedding. Besides, she's always going to be my sister and once we're married again…"


"Whoa. What?"


"What?" Mitch repeated.


"Are you proposing to me? Because if you are this is the least romantic way possible to do it."


"No," Mitch laughed. "I'm not proposing. Not yet. But eventually I will and we'll be married and Afton will be a part of our lives."


"You're awfully sure of yourself, aren't you?"


"Sure. Why wouldn't I be? We belong together, Lucy. Always have. We just both need to do some growing up."


"We've had plenty of time to grow up already, Mitch."


"True. But you know what they say."


"What's that?"


"Third time's the charm."


***


"Living way out here will take some getting used to," April groused. "I bet you guys can't even get takeout delivered."


"You don't need takeout at Southfork," Sue Ellen laughed. "There's always more food around than anyone could ever eat. What are you going to do with your apartment?"


"Michelle is moving in there," April told her. "It's paid for, so no rent. She can save up her money until she can afford her own place."


"Have you noticed the sparks flying between Michelle and James?"


"Hard not to notice," April grinned.


"Young love," Sue Ellen sighed wistfully.


"More like young lust!" April laughed.


"Sue Ellen?" JR's voice floated up the steps. "Can you come down here, honey?"


Sue Ellen and April walked down the steps where JR, James, Jack, and Bobby were all waiting.


"What's wrong?" Sue Ellen asked nervously.


"A reporter showed up at Ray's house. One of England's biggest tabloids is getting ready to publish a story about a sex scandal involving Vanessa Beaumont Brumin, an American Cowboy, and their illegitimate son."


"Well, we knew it was bound to happen sooner or later," Sue Ellen sighed. "Get Harv Smithfield on the phone, JR. It's time to publicly acknowledge James as a Ewing."


***


"Any feelings of self loathing or hatred?"


"No," Afton told the therapist. "Not for quite a while."


"Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self harm?"


"No," Afton shook her head.


"Mr. Barnes, how would you say Afton is functioning?"


"Amazingly well," Cliff smiled. "She's an incredible mother to our daughter."


"Is her behavior appropriate in terms of your romantic relationship?"


"Sure. We're both very happy together."


"Good," the therapist smiled. "Afton, you are doing remarkably well. I don't think we need to see each other every week now. We'll do twice a month for a while and see how things progress, okay?"


"Okay," Afton nodded.


"Stop by reception on the way out to schedule your next appointment."


"Alright. Thank you."


Afton and Cliff stood up and walked out of the office together. "Hey," he reached out to take her hand before they got to the receptionist. "i am so proud of you."


"Thank you, Cliff. And you know what? I'm proud of me too."


***


"What are you thinking about?"


"A lot of things," James shrugged. "My mother. Allister. How lucky I am to have found you guys. Mostly though, how I need to find a job and figure out a way to support myself."


"You don't need to worry about that," Jack told him, sitting down beside him at the patio table. "There's absolutely no rush."


"I appreciate that, Jack, but I don't want to live a life of luxury sponging off the Ewings."


"Have you thought about enrolling at the University here and finishing your degree?"


"Yeah. Thing is, I hate college."


"I hear you," Jack laughed. "But still, it's something to consider. You're good with the horses. You could work part-time with me and Clayton at Saddle Tree and still go to school."


James turned his head and studied Jack's face. "You mean it? Because that would solve a lot of my problems."


"Of course I mean it," Jack smiled. "That's what big brothers are for. I do need a favor from you though."


"What's that?"


"I'm getting married really soon. I need a best man. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have stand up for me than my brother."


"Really?"


"Yes, really. Oh, and as an added bonus, Michelle is gonna be the maid of honor, so you'll get to spend more time with her."


James laughed out loud. "She is very pretty. Smart too."


"Then you'll do it?"


"Yes. Thank you for asking. I'd be truly honored."


***.


"Dear Lord, I'm tired," Sue Ellen sighed and sank down onto the bed beside JR.


"Me too," he groaned. "Getting too old to haul around furniture all day."


"I noticed you were struggling," she teased him. "Good thing you had some young virile, studs like Jack and James around to help you."


"I'll show you a virile stud," he huffed in outrage and rolled over, trapping her under his body.


She burst out laughing and lifted her head to kiss him. "I can't believe we are actually going to sleep in our own bed in our own house."


"Feels strange, doesn't it?"


"Yes. But strange in a good way."


"The story about James is going to hit the papers in the morning. The Dallas press will only print the statement we gave them, but who knows what the London press will do? You need to prepare yourself. My name might come up."


"If it does, I'll deal with it then. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it."


"I hope Mama doesn't get too embarrassed."


"Miss Ellie will be fine. A story about an affair with a married woman back in your college days is hardly the most sordid thing she's ever had to read about you in the paper."


"True," JR sighed heavily. "Sorry about all that."


"Don't be. Not now. None of it matters anymore, JR."


JR looked deeply into her eyes and smiled. "You think the boys are asleep yet?"


"Probably. They were both pretty worn out. Why?"


"Oh, I was thinking our old tired bones could use a good soaking in our brand new jacuzzi tub."


"That sounds heavenly. But why does it matter whether or not the boys are asleep?"


"Because," he moved his hand between their bodies to lightly stroke her favorite spot. "There's going to be a lot of moaning. Maybe even some screaming if I hit all the right spots."


Sue Ellen's body bucked wildly against his hand. "Oh, God, JR! You always hit all the right spots. Always."


***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Firstly - I AM SO PROUD OF MY GIRL - If I were JR I'd marry her ten and twenty times over!!!!! She's AMAZING and such a lady that could knock stripes off any of them. Take lessons women!

Secondly, I could not care one jot about Vanessa. Not gonna lie about it. Why would I, 30 years on? Cheerio!

Thirdly, I still can't stand Afton. The last thing the world needs is her to procreate. Cliff deserves better.

Fourthly (cos there has to be a fourthly), I'm still not sold on Pam - is it really Pam or is there going to be some big reveal that it is actually Katherine with a mask on?

Fifthly (sorry), Marilee can rot.

Sixthly - Still prefer April with Bobby.

Seventhly - did Miss Ellie and Clayton just have sex? I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

Lastly - only 3 more chapters???????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.


:love6:

Right on!.

SNAP

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
It was very important to me to show SE as strong after what they did to her in the series. Glad what I did seems to be working.

The writing is coming fast now that it's almost done. Basically loose ends and relationship building at this point. Two more chapters (one of which I am getting ready to post) and a epilogue to go.

Thank you all again for reading, rating, and leaving comments and feedback. It is so much appreciated.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 98


***


"Well? How bad is it?"


JR had driven all the way into Dallas early in the morning to get copies of the "London Sun" and the "Dallas Morning News."


"The Dallas paper is fine," JR told her. "Just the statement Harv put out. The London story is quite sensational though. They quoted Ray."


"What did he say?"


"It's a private family matter. Get out of my driveway," JR laughed.


"That sounds like Ray," Sue Ellen sighed. "Is your name mentioned?"


"Yes. So is yours. But only as family members of the, and I quote, fabulously wealthy, oil rich, Texas Tycoon Ewing family."


"How incredibly tacky," she grimaced.


"Yeah. Guess it's an English tabloid thing. Where are the boys?"


"Pam came and got them earlier. They went into town to pick up their suits for the wedding."


"Yeah. I'm supposed to get mine this evening after I leave the office. Got your dress yet?"


"Picking it up tomorrow. I'm interviewing housekeepers today."


"Any chance you a young, buxom blonde who'll prance around here in a French maid's outfit?"


Sue Ellen narrowed her furious eyes on him for just an instant before she realized he was teasing her. "Not a chance, JR. But I bet I'd look pretty good in a tiny little maid's outfit."


"Be still my heart," JR moaned. "Damn woman. I'll have that image in my head all day. So much for getting any work done."


"That's what you get for trying to tease me," she batted her eyelashes at him.


"I want to take you upstairs and tease you now," he breathed out.


The ringing of the doorbell broke the thick, sexual tension surrounding them. "Saved by the bell," Sue Ellen sighed, getting up to answer the door.


"Good morning," James smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek.


"Good morning, James. I think JR is about ready to go."


JR was taking the younger Ewings to Ewing Oil to show him around.


"I'm ready," he said. He grabbed his hat and his briefcase and kissed Sue Ellen goodbye. "See you tonight, Miss Texas."


Sue Ellen nodded and waved at them both.


"Boy," JR growled at him on their way out the door, "your timing absolutely sucks."


***


Lucy checked her watch and frowned. "I have to go. I'm not going to make it to the airport on time."


She had spent the night with Mitch at his hotel and was supposed to pick her parents up at the airport in less than half an hour.


"Sorry," Mitch smirked.


"No you're not," Lucy laughed.


"No. You're right. I'm not."


"I'll see you at Southfork tonight," she said, placing a light kiss on his lips.


"Yeah. Oh. Hey, Lucy?"


"What?"


"I love you."


"I love you too, Mitch."


***


"Greetings from our nation's capital," Donna smiled, walking into JR's office.


"Donna!" Bobby stood up from the couch where he'd been sitting going over some papers with JR and gave her a huge hug. "I'm so glad you could make it!"


"Of course I made it. I wouldn't miss your and Pam's wedding for the world!"


JR stood up and walked around his desk to kiss her on the cheek. "Welcome home, Donna. And hello, sweetheart!" he kissed the little girl in Donna's arms too.


"Where's Andrew?" Bobby asked.


"He had committee meetings. He's not flying in until tomorrow evening. I came early so Ray could spend some time with Margaret."


"Donna, this is James," JR introduced them. "James, this is Donna and Margaret."


"Hi," James stuck out his hand. "I've heard a lot about you."


"As I have you," Donna told him, pushing aside his hand to hug him. "You're family. Family gets hugs."


James smiled a wide smile and looked at Margaret. "She looks like her daddy."


"She absolutely does," Donna said, carefully sitting down on the couch beside Bobby, balancing Margaret on her lap. "Now. Enough with the pleasantries. I want to hear all the gory details about how you took down that awful cow Marilee Stone. And don't leave out a thing!"


***


Sue Ellen pulled the framed pictures out of the box one by one and arranged them on the bookshelf in the living room. She was humming softly to herself while she worked. She grinned as she lined up pictures of her and JR on all three of their wedding days.


She reached back into the box and her smile turned into a small frown when she saw the next picture. "How did this get in there?"


"I… I put it in there," Patricia said nervously from behind her. "You don't have to display it of course, but I thought you might like to have it."


Sue Ellen ran her hand over the smiling face of her sister. The picture was of Patricia, Sue Ellen, and Kristen at the beach, leaning against the rail on a pier. They were all smiling for the camera. "I remember this day," she said quietly. "It was right before JR and I got married… the first time."


"Yes," Patricia moved forward and put her hand on Sue Ellen's shoulder. "I know you don't like being reminded of Kristin. But… I thought maybe…"


"Maybe this would help me recall that there were some good times?" Sue Ellen asked.


"Yes. I'm sorry if I'm out of line."


Sue Ellen gazed at the picture for a bit longer before placing it on the bookshelf with the rest of the family photos. "You're not out of line," she said finally. "She was my sister. I loved her."


"She loved you too. She was just very...sick."


"Yes. Thank you, Mother. It's a beautiful gift. I love you."


"Oh, Sue Ellen. I love you too," Patricia hugged her tightly. "So very much."


***


JR walked through the front door and put down his briefcase. "Let's go, woman!" he yelled through the house. "Mama is holding dinner for us!"


"Be right down, JR!" Sue Ellen called from upstairs.


JR took off his hat and looked around the living room. Sue Ellen and Patricia had gotten a lot of work done today. He walked over to the bookshelf and glanced at the display of family pictures. His eyebrows shot up in surprise when she saw the one of all three Sheppard women together.


Sue Ellen never kept any reminders of Kristin around. For many years, she had forbidden JR from even saying her sister's name. Now there was a picture of her on display in the living room.


"I hope you don't mind," Sue Ellen's soft voice interrupted his thoughts.


"No…" JR turned to face her. "Of course I don't. I just…"


"What?"


"I just don't want you to be reminded of what a snake I used to be every single day."


"JR, that's not what I'm reminded of when I look at that picture. It reminds me of how it was, how SHE was before everything went so bad."


"I don't know how you can still love me so much," JR shook his head. "I took your sister from you."


"No, JR. The Kristin I loved was already gone. And I love you because… well I just do."


JR closed his eyes and swallowed hard. This woman had forgiven him so much. He didn't deserve her one bit. "Sue Ellen…"


"The past is the past, JR. Kristin, Ray, all of it. It's time we both let go of it once and for all."


JR nodded and bent his head to kiss her. "I don't deserve you, Sue Ellen. But I'll spend the rest of my life loving you the way you have always deserved to be loved."


***


"That's crazy," Michelle made a face. "There's no way the Cowboys can beat the Niners. Not even in Texas Stadium."


"She's right," Gary told JR. "Montana will carve up that defense."


"It's a preseason game," JR laughed. "Montana won't even be playing."


"He'll play for a quarter or so," James said. "Long enough to put the game away."


"Hey, how come a guy who grew up in England knows so much about American football?" Jack asked.


"My college roommate was an American. He was obsessed with it."


"You coming to the game tomorrow?"


"Oh, I don't…"


"Of course he is," JR answered for him. "I want to see him eat crow with the rest of you when the Cowboys deliver a beat down."


"In your dreams," Gary laughed. "You coming with us, Sue Ellen?"


"I'd rather have a root canal with no novacaine," Sue Ellen answered. "Michelle, why don't you take my ticket? You seem to be interested in the game."


"Oh.. I have to work tomorrow, but thank you."


"Don't be silly," April told her sister. "I'll cover for you. Go and have fun."


"I… well if the men don't mind me taking along."


"We'd love to have you," JR grinned. "Especially James."


James blushed and rolled his eyes at JR. Everyone laughed.


JR watched Sue Ellen out of the corner of his eye. He realized what she was doing, even if no one else did. Giving Michelle her ticket was her way of letting JR know she trusted him.


"Hey! Here comes Ray and Jenna!"


Everyone moved forward to greet them, but JR grabbed Sue Ellen by the arm and stopped her. "You playing matchmaker for James?"


"Maybe," she smiled at him.


"And you're not worried about me?"


"Oh. No. Of course not. You, JR, met your match long ago."


"Yes," JR grinned at her. "Yes I did."


***


"Hey," JR said, handing a beer to his brother and taking a seat beside him.


"JR," Ray took the beer and nodded at him.


"Great night with the family, huh?"


"Yes," Ray agreed. "I love seeing Margaret and Lucas together."


"We haven't had a chance to talk. You're not avoiding me, are you?"


"Not really," Ray shrugged. "I figured you'd come find me if you wanted to."


JR nodded and let his eyes drift over to the pool. "Jenna and Charlie look well."


"Yeah. Switzerland agrees with them. How's my old place working out for you and Sue Ellen?"


"We love it. You and Jenna should come by tomorrow. You won't even recognize the place."


"I drove by on my way in," Ray told him. "Looks like the pool is about done."


"Yeah. It's heated so the boys can use it during the fall."


"Good. They'll like that."


They didn't say anything else for a while, just sat in peaceful quiet, enjoying being together again.


"You coming to the game with us tomorrow?" JR finally asked him.


"Got a ticket for me?"


"I got a box and as many tickets as I want."


"You inviting me?"


"Hell yes," JR laughed. "Bobby and I are gonna need some backup around all those Niner fans."


"Well, in that case, it's a date. Cowboys for life."


"Amen to that, brother," JR lifted his beer in a toast. "Amen to that."


***


Ellie sat on the patio and watched her family with a huge smile on her face. Everyone was so happy. Donna and Jenna had Lucas and Margaret together playing in the pool. Charlie and the boys were terrorizing James and Jack with their water guns while April and Michelle looked on and laughed. Lucy and Mitch were laughing and talking with Gary and Valene. Bobby, Pam, and Sue Ellen were taking care of last minute wedding details. Clayton and Patricia were playing chess. And best of all, JR and Ray were sitting peacefully together having a couple of beers.


"This may be the happiest day of my life," she sighed to herself. She looked up to the sky and smiled. "Look at our family, Jock. We finally made it. Everything and everyone is finally going to be okay."


***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Loved moving day for JR and Sue Ellen. They are too cute. It's gonna be a long couple of weeks for my girl though with the family weddings and that horny old sod wanting to christen every room of the ranch. That Jacuzzi is gonna be useful in more ways than one I bet.

And back up I go to read the latest.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I don't know whether it was all the sweet and funny family moments, or knowing that this awesome story is winding down, but this update made me really teary.
Especially the part with Sue Ellen and Patricia ( I can't believe there's a story where the woman is decent and I actually LIKE her, so I take my hat off to you for that)
And that last part with Miss Ellie looking up and talking to Jock, just beautiful.
I don't really know what to say, except I love it (and I may be back later, if I find the words lol).
 
Last edited:

EASSS1928

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
I used to read these as soon as you posted but knowing it's coming to an end I'm trying to take my time. This fic has been a nice ride.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Excellent updates. James finally got his explaination. But I felt bad for him that Vanessa never loved him or wanted him. :(
I think in an ideal world all children should be loved and wanted.

Nice that Michelle and James are flirting up a storm.

I don't get why April & Jack would like to live at Southfork though!:confused:
I think it would make more sense for them to get a house of their own. I mean most cousins don't live together. I think it's different with Chris and John Ross though since they grew up together and were really more like siblings really. But Jack never knew his family until he was an adult.

Glad things are working out for Lucy & Mitch and Cliff, Afton and Pamela too. :)

I'm looking forward to the weddings. :)
 
Top