I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.
This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.
The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."
***
Shot Through the Heart
Part Fifteen:
***
"How was Sue Ellen this morning?"
JR closed his bedroom door and looked up at his brother. "Hard to say. She didn't talk much. She got John Ross ready to go then went to take a shower."
"She's handling all this much better than I ever would have thought she would."
"She's stronger than anyone gives her credit for."
"Yes, she is," Bobby told him. "Pam left early. She wanted to ride to the courthouse with Sue Ellen so she'd be able to support her."
"You know, Bob, I've never had anything good to say about your wife, but I really appreciate the way she's been there for me and Sue Ellen through all this. I won't forget."
"I hope not, JR," Bobby replied evenly. "We could use some peace around here."
"Amen," Lucy came out of her room and walked up to them. "Uncle Bobby, can I ride to the courthouse with you?"
"Sure thing. JR, want to ride with us? I can drop you at Sue Ellen's afterwards if you want."
"Thanks, Bob. Yes. I don't really want to be alone in my car with just my thoughts."
"Great. Well, we'd better get going."
"Just a minute, JR," Ellie called from down the hall. "May I speak with you for a minute?"
"Go ahead," JR told Bobby and Lucy. "I'll meet you outside." He turned and faced his mother, leveling his gaze on her face. "Yes, Mama?"
"About Sue Ellen…"
"If you're going to talk bad about her or tell me I can't bring her home after the trial, save your breath. If you and Daddy make me choose between the two of you or my wife, I choose her."
"No, JR," Ellie sighed heavily. "I was going to tell you that Jock and I talked. We want you to bring her home. And we're sorry for the way we acted. You're finally taking care of your family. We're very proud of you for that."
"Well, don't be too proud, Mama. I don't know if Sue Ellen will be a free woman after the trial or not. I don't know if she wants to be married to me anymore. And today is going to bring you more public humiliation."
"Well. Whatever happens, we'll get through it. Together. As a family, JR."
"Mama…"
"I don't know why you are the way you are. But you're my son. My first born. And I love you. No matter what, JR, your father and I love you."
She reached out her arms to him. He hesitated for only a moment before hugging her tightly.
"I love you too, Mama."
***
"My God, I can't believe the vultures are already here!"
Sue Ellen and Pam had met Kiefer at the courthouse very early, hoping to avoid the press, but they had been waiting for her and had taken pictures and shouted questions.
"Don't worry about them," Kiefer told her. "You ready for today?"
"Yes. I mean I don't actually have to do anything but sit there."
"And be calm. I'm going to notify the judge of our rebuttal witnesses. You two stay here. Be right back."
"Can I do anything for you to make you more comfortable?" Pam asked.
"No, I appreciate the offer, but nothing could make me comfortable right now."
Pam reached out and lightly squeezed Sue Ellen's hand. "Everything is going to be alright."
"Everyone keeps saying that, but I don't see how it can be."
"You didn't mean to shoot him. And Kiefer's defense is brilliant. No jury would convict you."
"Maybe," Sue Ellen shrugged. "Pam.." she hesitated for a few seconds, carefully forming her words, "you saw the phone records. You heard our strategy session. You know…"
"Yes," Pam said softly. "I don't know why Cliff was calling Kristen so much. I pray it's innocent. But if he's mixed up in all this somehow and he's kept silent all the way through the trial? Then he deserves whatever he gets."
Sue Ellen carefully studied her friend's face and then nodded.
"How did things go with JR at your apartment?" Pam changed the subject.
"Nothing happened," Sue Ellen sighed. "He stayed on the couch, true to his word. This morning we had a cup of coffee together then I went to get John Ross ready and took a shower. We didn't talk at all."
"I'm sure he's just giving you some space."
"Is that what he's doing? Pam, you don't know him like I do. Right now, he has a mission. He needs to save me. He's all caught up in the adrenalin. Once it's over…"
"What?"
"He's been so humiliated. Everyone knows his darkest secrets. It will be even worse after today. He hasn't had time to reflect on the damage this trial has done to his reputation. Once it's over he's going to be angry, resentful, and bitter. And he's going to blame me."
"I think you're wrong, Sue Ellen," Pam said earnestly.
"Like I said, Pam, I know him better than you do. Believe me, JR Ewing isn't a man that suffers public ridicule. He's going to make me pay; one way or the other."
***
"Ol' Jordan looks like he might throw up," JR chuckled.
"I don't blame him," Bobby said. "But he'll hold up."
"Here comes Sue Ellen," Lucy pointed as Sue Ellen and her lawyer came into the courtroom and took their seats at the defense table.
"She looks awful," JR said softly.
"Well, she's terrified," Pam told him, suddenly appearing and taking a seat beside Bobby.
"Kiefer has a good plan," JR said.
"Yes, but she's not terrified about the trial, JR. She's afraid you'll hate her afterwards, for all of the embarrassment."
"That's silly," JR growled.
"I think so," Pam smiled at him sweetly, "but after court today, you should tend to your wife and ease her mind over it."
JR started to snap at her and tell her to mind her own business, but when he saw the playful look on her face he simply grinned slightly and nodded. "Yes. I will."
"All rise!"
The judge came in and took his seat behind the bench. "You may be seated. The defense will call it's next witness."
"Thank you," Kiefer stood up. "I call Jordan Lee to the stand."
"Your honor!" The DA shot up out of his chair. "I object to these unannounced witnesses. We haven't had time to prepare as they aren't on any witness list."
"You're honor, these are rebuttal witnesses to the testimony of Miss Sheppard. We're asking for only two new witnesses, Mr. Lee and Detective McSween."
"Neither of whom can rebut Miss Shepherd's testimony as they were not present during the shooting!" The DA broke in.
"Mr. Lee's testimony goes to Miss Sheppard's credibility," Kiefer said. "Mr. McSween's has details of the investigation that haven't come to light yet which directly contradicts what Miss Sheppard testified to on the stand."
"Miss Shepherd's credibility can be challenged by Mr. Ewing and Mr. Barnes. These two new witnesses shouldn't be allowed to testify with no warning to the prosecution."
"Your Honor," Kiefer pleaded, "My client is facing a long prison sentence. Miss Sheppard is her only accuser. We have the right to present evidence to the jury about the trustworthiness of that accuser."
"I agree," the judge said. "The state opened the door to question Miss Sheppard's character once they decided to build their whole case around her testimony. The objection is overruled and Mr. Lee will take the stand."
Kiefer patted Sue Ellen's hand to calm her as Jordan was sworn in and took his seat.
"Mr. Lee, do you know Kristen Sheppard?"
"Yes."
"How well?"
"Too well. She and I are lovers."
A murmur from the crowd broke out causing the judge to bang his gavel.
"How long have you been lovers?"
"Months. A while."
"How did you meet Miss Sheppard?"
"JR Ewing introduced me to her."
"Did you know he was sleeping with her?"
"Not at first. She is his sister-in-law. It never occurred to me there was anything romantic between them."
"When did you find out?"
"A few weeks ago. When she told me she was pregnant. She said JR had forced her to sleep with me so that she could get him information about my business dealings. She said once she'd done it, he'd taken her information and dumped her and left her all alone and penniless."
"How did you react?"
"I felt sorry for her. I was furious with JR."
"Did you confront JR?"
"Of course not. I'm not a stupid man. I wasn't going to get into a confrontation with JR Ewing over a woman."
"Did Kristen tell you who the father of her baby is?"
"She told me I was the father."
Another round of gasps from the spectators interrupted the proceedings. "I will have order!" The judge banged his gavel again. "One more outburst and I'll clear this courtroom!"
"When you heard her testify to this court that JR Ewing was the father of her child, were you surprised?"
"Shocked. She told me that she hadn't slept with him since she and I began our affair."
"Mr. Lee, were you giving money to Miss Sheppard?"
"Yes."
"How much and why?"
"10,000 a month. She said she needed it for bills and for the baby. She said if I didn't pay it, she'd tell the world about our affair and that I seduced her then left her to fend for herself once she got pregnant."
"So she was blackmailing you?"
"Yes."
"So, Miss Sheppard lied to you about why she started seeing you, she lied to you about not being with JR at the same time she was having an affair with you, she lied about you being the baby's father, and then she blackmailed you. Are those all fair statements?"
"Yes."
"Doesn't sound to me like Kristen Sheppard should be trusted."
"I tend to agree."
"No further questions."
"Does the state wish to cross examine?"
"Yes, your honor," the DA stood. "Mr. Lee, you have no direct knowledge of anything directly relating to the shooting of JR Ewing, do you?'
"I do not."
"Are you still seeing Miss Sheppard romantically?"
"Yes."
"Why? If she's such a liar and isn't to be trusted, why are you still seeing her?"
"I like the sex," Jordan shrugged. "I'm paying for it. May as well get it."
"Sounds to me like Miss Sheppard isn't only one with serious character flaws. Nothing further."
"The witness may step down," the judge said. "Call your next witness."
"The defense recalls JR Ewing."
JR stood, walked to the witness box, and sat down. "Mr. Ewing," the judge said to him, "I remind you once again that you're still under oath. And I sincerely hope this is the last time you take the stand in my courtroom."
"You and me both," JR grunted.
The judge chuckled in spite of himself. "Proceed, Mr. Kiefer."
"Mr. Ewing, you heard Mr. Lee's testimony that Kristen told him that you asked him to sleep with him to gather information. Is that true?"
"Yes. It's true."
"Why?"
"We all use what we have," JR grunted. "And all's fair in love, war, and the oil business."
"Did you pressure Miss Sheppard to have sex with Mr. Lee or was she willing?"
"She was more than willing. And she was well compensated."
"By you?"
"Yes by me. Who do you think bought her that fancy apartment and her car? I took care of her financial needs."
"Are you still paying her bills?"
"No. I stopped shortly before the shooting."
"Why? Because of Mr. Lee?"
"No. I didn't even know she was still seeing Jordan. I stopped paying her bills because she was starting to put pressure on me to leave my wife. She threatened to go to my parents and tell them everything if I didn't leave Sue Ellen and marry her."
"But instead of divorcing your wife, you turned your back on Miss Sheppard?"
"Of course. There's no woman I'd leave my wife for. Least of all a lying tramp like Kristen."
"You weren't worried about her exposing you to your parents?"
"Yeah I was. I tried to run her out of town. I knew she was exchanging sexual favors for money, so I reported her to the police for prostitution."
"What happened?"
"Nothing. They investigated. Didn't have enough evidence to file charges."
"Mr. Ewing, you had a long term affair with her, then asked her to sleep with business associates, broke your promise to leave your wife for her, cut off her financial support, and tried to have her charged with prostitution. Is all that accurate?"
"Yes."
"She had quite a motive to shoot you, wouldn't you say?"
"Yes."
The DA shot up out of his chair. "Objection, calls for speculation!"
"Overruled," the judge said. "It's not speculation when any reasonable person would draw the same conclusion. Continue, Mr. Kiefer."
"Mr. Ewing, you said you didn't know that Miss Sheppard was still involved with Mr. Lee."
"I didn't."
"But you have expressed doubt about being the father of her baby. Why is that if you didn't realize she was still in a sexual relationship with Mr. Lee?"
"Two reasons. First off, Kristen has multiple sexual partners. She slept with several of my business associates. She was still sleeping with an old boyfriend - I caught them in bed in a hotel room. And like I said, she was exchanging sex for money. That baby could have been fathered by half a dozen or more men."
"And the second reason?"
JR squirmed a bit and took a deep breath. "My wife and I tried to have a baby for years. In the early days of our marriage, we tried like crazy. But she never got pregnant. I began to suspect one of us was sterile. When she told me she was pregnant with John Ross, well I knew she was having an affair and she and I weren't...well, we weren't having...we weren't sleeping together very often."
"You suspected the child might not be yours?"
"Yes. God forgive me. I went to see my doctor. He told me…"
"I know this is difficult, Mr. Ewing. Please go on."
"I have a very low sperm count. It's not impossible for me to father a child. I fathered John Ross. But it's very unlikely. I also used protection with Kristen. Every single time. Out of all her lovers, I am the least likely to be the father of that child."
"Why do you think she accused you?"
"Money," JR shrugged. "That's all she cares about."
"So she lied about you fathering her child for financial gain?"
"Absolutely."
"Thank you, Mr. Ewing. Nothing further."
"Cross examination?" The judge asked the DA.
"No, your honor. Mr. Ewing has testified three times and each time he has given the jury every reason to doubt his honesty. I have no further use for him."
"The defense will call its next witness."
"Thank you, your honor. I recall Cliff Barnes."
The quiet of the courtroom was shattered when the door opened. Kiefer turned around and saw McSween come in. McSween nodded at him and made a gesture with his hands.
"Excuse me, your honor. May I have a brief recess?"
"Very brief," the judge told him. "Ten minute recess."
McSween strode fully into the courtroom to the defense table. "We got her," he said, putting a file on the table. "We really have her."
***
"You may have been saved by the bell."
Cliff jumped a little, startled by the voice. "Hi, Pam," he smiled when he saw his sister.
"Cliff, why is your phone number all over Kristen's phone records?"
"Huh?"
"You heard me."
"Oh. Well. We're kind of friendly."
"Friendly how?"
"I'm not sleeping with her," Cliff said defensively. "I didn't bake that bun in her oven."
"Then why so many calls to her apartment?"
"Commiserating. She hates JR, I hate JR. We have a lot in common."
"Cliff, she's lying and trying to get Sue Ellen thrown in prison!"
"How do you know she's lying, Pam?"
"Sue Ellen remembered everything, Cliff. I hope you're not involved in Kristen's schemes because if you are, JR will finally destroy you. And I won't lift a finger to help you. If you have something to confess, your best chance is to confess it to me right now."
"You're paranoid, Pam. I don't have a damn thing to do with shooting JR or scheming with Kristen to blame Sue Ellen."
"I don't believe you."
"Well, Pam, as far as I can see that's your problem. Not mine."
***
"Sue Ellen," Kiefer whispered, "stop fidgeting."
Sue Ellen jumped a little and guiltily looked away. "Sorry."
Kiefer patted her hand. "It's almost over."
"All rise!" The judge took his seat and waged for everyone else to sit down. "Mr. Kiefer, is Cliff Barnes your next witness?"
"No, your honor. I call Detective Harry McSween to the stand. I do reserve the right to recall Mr. Barnes if necessary."
"Proceed." McSween was sworn in and took his seat.
"Mr. McSween," Kiefer began, "were you originally assigned to work the Ewing shooting?"
"No. I was off duty when the call came in. The next day, my Captain decided not to assign me to the case because of my personal relationship with Mr. Ewing."
"What personal relationship?"
"We're friendly. My niece is his secretary. I've done some private work while I was off duty for him."
"What kind of work?"
"Mostly investigating the background of potential business associates."
"Mostly?"
"I've done some work involving his personal life. He had me investigate his wife once because he thought she was having an affair."
"Was she?"
"Yes. With Cliff Barnes."
"I see. Well, how did you get involved in investigating the shooting."
"The lead detective on the case knew I was familiar with JR and his family. He asked me for some background information."
"What did you tell him?"
"That JR's wife had an affair once, that she had a drinking problem, and that they had a very bad marriage."
"Did you give him any information about anyone else who may have had a motive to shoot Me. Ewing?"
"Yes. But he wasn't interested."
"Why?"
"I don't know for sure. But it seemed to me like he focused in on Mrs. Ewing as a suspect and didn't even bother to check out anyone else."
"Was that the end of your involvement in the case?"
"Until two days ago, yes."
"What happened two days ago?"
"JR called me and asked me to help you get some search warrants."
"I see. And you did as JR asked just because he asked you to do it?"
"I did not," McSween huffed indignantly. "I called you and asked you what your theory was. Once it became clear to me that your theory was based in fact, I contacted the lead detective and we decided together to get the requested warrants."
"What warrants?"
"One for Kristen Sheppard's medical records, one for her phone records, one for her financial records, and one to search her apartment. We also pulled all the camera footage from close to the Ewing building on the night of the shooting and went over it again."
"Okay, let's take each thing at a time. Why did you want her medical records?"
"To confirm she was pregnant."
"Is she?"
"Yes."
"What did Miss Sheppard's phone records tell you?"
"She was talking to four men several times a week. We cross referenced those calls with her bank records."
"And what did you find?"
"Three of those men were paying her ten thousand dollars a month."
"Who were those men?"
"Jordan Lee. Frank Beaumont. Gary Lawson."
"We know who Jordan Lee is. Who are the other two?
"Beaumont owns dozens of gas stations in Texas and Oklahoma. Lawson is the lead lawyer at West Star Oil in the contracts division."
"Did you ask these three men why they were paying her ten grand a month?"
"Yes. She told them all they had fathered her child and was threatening to go public if they didn't pay her."
"So she was blackmailing them all?"
"Yes."
"Who was the fourth man she was speaking to frequently? The one who wasn't paying her?"
"Cliff Barnes."
"The same Cliff Barnes who had an affair with Mrs. Ewing and is a blood enemy of JR Ewing?"
"Yes."
"Did you question him?"
"Yes. He said he and Kristen were friends. He was adamant they were not having a sexual relationship."
"Alright, what did you find when you reexamined the camera footage from the night of the shooting?"
"We confirmed that Mrs. Ewing's car wasn't recorded on any camera in the area on that night. We also found no evidence that Barnes' car was in the vicinity."
"Did you find any evidence that anyone connected to this case was at the Ewing building that night?"
"Yes."
"Who?"
"We found Miss Sheppard's car on three different cameras driving toward the Ewing building that night and then on those same three cameras driving away less than a quarter of an hour later."
The crowd erupted and the judge banged his gavel. "Order!"
"Your honor, I'd like to submit these time stamped photos of Miss Sheppard's car close to the Ewing building as defense exhibit C."
"So ordered."
"Now, Detective McSween, you said you searched Miss Sheppard's apartment. Did you find anything of note?"
"Yes."
"What?"
"A pair of leather gloves covered in gunpowder residue."
"Why is that significant?"
"We questioned Mrs. Ewing. She remembered being at Miss Sheppard's apartment on the night of the shooting. She specifically remembered that Miss Sheppard was wearing a pair of black leather gloves."
The crowd gasped again. The judge didn't even bother to try to get them under control.
"Detective McSween, in your professional opinion, who shot JR Ewing?"
"All the evidence points directly at Kristen Sheppard."
"Thank you. Nothing further."
"Does the state wish to cross examine?"
"Absolutely," the DA stood. "Detective McSween, you've testified that you and Mr. Ewing have a personal relationship. Isn't it a well known fact that you have a reputation as being Mr. Ewing's personal enforcer on the Dallas Police Force? In fact, you can be bought to manipulate evidence for the highest bid, correct? And you will bend the law anyway you see fit to please your employer!'
"I have a long, exemplary career with the Dallas PD. I have been steadily promoted through the ranks and consistently rewarded for my outstanding service. So, no, Sir. I am not anyone's personal enforcer and I don't bend the law."
"You claim the evidence points to Miss Sheppard. But isn't it possible that Mrs. Ewing lied about the gloves? That she drove her sister's car to Ewing Oil? That she wore the gloves that night when she shot JR and then lied that they belonged to Kristen?
"Anything is possible. But that doesn't make a bit of sense."
"Why not?"
"If Mrs. Ewing was wearing gloves, why were her fingerprints on the gun?"
"It was in her closet! She could have touched that gun at any time!"
"Exactly. But she wouldn't have worn gloves to fire a gun that already had her prints on them, would she?"
"She would if she were trying to frame her sister!"
"Whatever you say," McSween rolled his eyes.
"You're nothing more than a corrupt cop who is framing an innocent woman at the behest of JR Ewing!"
"Objection, your honor!"
"Sustained! The last statement from the DA will be struck from the record."
"Nothing further," the DA grumbled and sat down.
"This court will stand on recess until tomorrow morning at 9 a.m."
"What just happened?" Sue Ellen whispered shakily. "Was that good or bad for us?"
"That," Kiefer grinned, "was OUTSTANDING for us. McSween did everything we needed him to and more. The DA totally lost control and looked desperate. And you know what Sue Ellen?"
"What?"
"I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be even better for us."
***