Shot Through the Heart

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Nine:

***

"The Ewings are here," a young lawyer said to the DA. "Are you going to tell them?"

"No," the DA shook his head. "I get the feeling a few of them want Sue Ellen to get off. JR even tried to strong arm me into dropping the charges. No need to let them know I have a witness to the shooting. They can find out in court just like everyone else."

"Jock Ewing will be furious."

"That's not my concern," the DA said. "My only concern is putting Sue Ellen Ewing away for as long as possible. She's dangerous. The Ewings will just have to deal with it."

***

"Remember, Sue Ellen, whatever happens, don't get rattled. The jury will see it."

"I know," she whispered shakily. "There's so many people here."

"A Ewing on trial was bound to bring a media circus. We talked about that."

"I know," she said again.

JR and the family had come into the courtroom a few minutes ago. She'd refused to so much as even look in their direction.

"Sue Ellen?" Kiefer's voice was calm and cool, "it's all going to be okay."

**"

"What was that all about?" Sue Ellen asked as Kiefer returned from his side bar at the bench.

"The DA was notifying the judge that he was moving around the order of his witnesses. He pushed Kristen from first to last."

"Why?"

"I don't know. But I don't like it. He looks a bit too smug for my taste."

Sue Ellen started to reply, but was interrupted by the judge.

"Is the state ready to make an opening statement?"

"We are your honor," the DA stood up.

"Proceed," the judge told him. "And keep it short and to the point. I won't have any grandstanding in this courtroom for the benefit of the press."

***

Cliff raised his right hand, swore to tell the truth, and sat down in the witness box.

"Mr. Barnes," the DA asked him. "You're not a big fan of the Ewings, are you?"

"That's putting it mildly," Cliff laughed. "I hate them."

The DA walked Cliff through his version of the Barnes/Ewing feud, then shifted his focus to his relationship with Sue Ellen.

"Mr. Barnes, have you ever had a romantic relationship with Sue Ellen Ewing?"

"Yes."

"Was the relationship sexual in nature?"

"Oh, yes."

"And this affair took place while she was married to JR Ewing, correct?"

"Correct."

"You filed a paternity suit against Mrs. Ewing, did you not?"

"I did."

"Why?"

"I thought her son was mine and not JR's."

"Was he?"

"No."

"How did Mrs. Ewing react to the suit?"

"She was angry. Threatened to sue me for defamation. But she couldn't. She knew I was telling the truth about possibly being the baby's father."

"So, Mrs. Ewing conducted an affair with you behind her husband's back, got pregnant, and tried to deny that you might be the father. That's what you're saying?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"Doesn't say much about her character, does it?"

"No. I guess not."

"Mr. Barnes, did Mr. Ewing know you and his wife were having an affair?"

"Not at first. But he found out."

"Was Mrs. Ewing upset that he found out?"

"No. Not really. She hated him. She was glad he knew she was sleeping with his blood enemy. She wanted to hurt him. So did I, actually. The reason I was ever interested in her in the first place was because she was married to JR. I knew it would eat him alive. Anyway, she didn't care. She even offered to divorce him for me."

"No further questions."

"Mr. Kiefer?" The judge said. "Any questions?"

"Yes," Kiefer stood up. "Thank you."

He moved to stand in front of the witness box. "Mr. Barnes, who ended your affair? You or Mrs. Ewing?"

"I did."

"Why?"

"It just wasn't working out."

"Really? And would the reason be because you were afraid an affair with a married woman would derail your hopes to run for political office?"

"Partly."

"I see. Now, you testified that Mrs. Ewing was prepared to leave her husband for you."

"Yes."

"So she was committed to you?"

"She was committed to getting away from JR. He made her life a living hell."

"Uh huh. You testified that you seduced her to get back at Mr. Ewing."

"No, I said one of the reasons I was interested in her at first was to get back at JR."

"So, you seduced a married woman, who you knew was miserable, for no other reason than to hurt her husband. Then when she was totally committed to you and ready to leave her husband, you dumped her because of your own career ambitions. Then you humiliated her in public by filing a paternity suit even after she told you the baby belonged to her husband. Is that correct?"

"Now listen, when you put it like that, it sounds bad…"

"It sounds bad because it is bad," Kiefer cut him off. "Mr. Barnes, it amazes me that you would expect this jury or anyone else to give any weight to your assessment of Mrs. Ewing's character given your own disgusting behavior. I have no further use for this witness.."

***

Sue Ellen shifted uncomfortably in her chair. It had been a long, stressful day. Jock, Miss Ellie, and Bobby had all testified against her - all of them detailing her horrible relationship with JR and her battles with alcohol. They spoke of her emotional breakdowns, her drinking while pregnant, and her seeming hatred of her husband.

Pam was on the stand now, covering the same territory with the DA.

"Thank you, Mrs. Ewing," the DA finally said. "Nothing further."

"Mr. Kiefer?" The judge asked.

"Thank you, your honor," he stood. "Just a few questions. Mrs. Ewing, how would you describe your own personal relationship with Sue Ellen Ewing?"

"She's my friend."

"You care for her?"

"Yes. Very much."

"Even after all you've testified to? Even after her affair with your brother?"

"Yes. Sue Ellen is a good person. Everything that she's been through was caused by JR and Cliff. They've both treated her horribly."

"Mrs. Ewing, do you believe Sue Ellen Ewing shot her husband?"

"No, I don't," Pam said firmly.

"Why not?"

"She has a lot of problems, but I don't think she would ever hurt him."

"Why?"

"Because she loves her son. And she.loves her husband too. In spite of everything."

"Thank you, Mrs. Ewing. No further questions."

"We'll recess for the day," the judge said. "The trial will resume first thing tomorrow morning."

Sue Ellen and Kiefer kept their seats as everyone else stood up and filed out of the courtroom.

"That was just awful."

"Yes," Kiefer agreed. "I wish I could tell you the worst is over, but it's not. Tomorrow JR will testify. Then your sister. It's going to get very, very bad before it gets better, Sue Ellen."

***

Sue Ellen rolled over, groaned, and picked up the phone. "Yes?"

"Did I wake you, honey? I'm sorry. It's still pretty early."

Sue Ellen took a deep breath and bit back a groan. "It was a difficult day, JR. I am exhausted."

"Yes. Of course. I won't keep you. I just…"

"What, JR? What do you want?"

"To tell you how sorry I am. Hearing all that testimony today…"

"Don't," she stopped him. "I can't talk about it."

"I know. Anyway, I just wanted to apologize. And to tell you that I'll do my best not to hurt you tomorrow."

"You always hurt me, JR. Even when you promise not to."

"Sue Ellen…" she heard him sigh and grumble something under his breath. "Goodnight, honey."

She heard the line go dead and hung up the phone

Damn that man. Couldn't he ever just leave her alone and in peace?

***

JR swore to tell the truth, sat down in the witness box, and fixed his eyes on Sue Ellen's face. She looked worn out, nervous, and sad. He sighed heavily and bit back a curse. He hated seeing her this way, especially since he knew it was all his fault.

"Mr. Ewing," the DA spoke, "how would you describe your marriage?"

JR cut his eyes to the DA and shrugged. "Not sure I can describe my marriage accurately."

"Try, Mr. Ewing. Would you say it was healthy and happy?"

"At times."

"And at other times?"

"Not so much."

"So your marriage is rocky?"

"You could say that."

"You've had affairs?"

"Yes."

"How many?"

"Too many to count."

"And your wife has had affairs too?"

"At least one."

"With Mr. Barnes?"

"Yes."

"Mr. Ewing, does your wife have a drinking problem?"

"Yes."

"Is it bad?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean has she ever hurt anyone when she's been drunk."

"Not to my knowledge."

"Really? Because we've heard testimony from your own family in this courtroom that she drank while pregnant, you put her away in a sanitarium, she crashed her car drunk while trying to escape, and almost killed your unborn son."

"Yes… but…"

"So she has hurt someone while drunk then."

"Yes," JR practically snarled.

"You and your wife weren't getting along at all before the shooting, were you?"

"No."

"Did she ever mention divorce?"

"Yes."

"Did you?"

"Yes."

"Around the time you were shot, you were having an affair, were you not?"

"Yes. Around that time. I broke things off shortly before I was shot."

"That affair was with your wife's sister, Kristen Shepherd, correct?"

"Yes," JR growled his answer.

There was a murmur of shock in the courtroom. The judge banged his gavel and ordered silence from the spectators.

"Mr. Ewing," the DA cleared his throat and continued, "was your wife aware that you'd been sleeping with her sister?"

"Yes."

"And how did she feel about that?"

"How do you think she felt?" JR snapped. "She was hurt."

"And angry?"

"Yes."

"Mr. Ewing, the night of the shooting, you and your wife had an argument, did you not?"

"Yes."

"What about?"

"My brother had left Southfork. It was over something I'd done. Sue Ellen chastised and embarrassed me in front of my parents."

"And that made you angry?"

"Very angry."

"What did you say to her that night, Mr. Ewing?"

JR shifted uncomfortably. He looked back at Sue Ellen. She looked sick to her stomach.

"Mr. Ewing?" The DA pressed him.

"I told her she was a drunk and an unfit mother. I told her I was putting her back into a sanitarium and then divorcing her."

"And how did she react?"

"Not well."

"Did she threaten to kill you, Mr. Ewing?"

"I don't remember."

"How convenient, Mr. Ewing," the DA shook his head. "Nothing further."

"Mr. Kiefer?" The judge asked. "Cross examination?"

"Yes," Kiefer stood up. "Thank you, your honor."

He walked to stand in front of JR and took a deep breath. "Mr. Ewing, your marriage has been difficult, hasn't it?"

"Yes."

"And whose fault is that?"

"Mine," JR said softly. "All mine."

"Can you elaborate?"

"Sue Ellen was a perfect wife. Beautiful. Loving. Faithful. I mistreated her horribly. I had so many affairs. She was always alone. I never…"

"What?"

"I never even bothered to try to be a good husband to her."

"Why? Didn't you love her?"

"I love her very much."

"Then why did you mistreat her? Why did you cheat?"

"I don't know," JR dropped his eyes. "I'm a bastard and a fool."

"Mr. Ewing, you said you love your wife."

"Yes."

"Still? Even today, when she sits here in the courtroom accused of trying to kill you?"

"Yes. I love her as much as I ever did. More."

"Do you think Sue Ellen is guilty?"

"I don't know if she shot me or not. But even if she did, she isn't guilty. The blame is all mine."

"Mr. Ewing, do you want your wife to go to prison?"

"No. I want to take her home to be with our son. I want to make it up to her for all those awful years. I want another chance with her."

"Do you think you deserve one?"

"No. I know I don't."

"Mr. Ewing, do you think Sue Ellen is dangerous?"

"Absolutely not. She's sober, in therapy, getting the help she needs. She's not dangerous at all."

"Thank you, Mr. Ewing. No further questions."

"You're honor," The DA stood, "Redirect?"

"Go ahead," the judge nodded.

"Mr. Ewing you and others have testified that you mistreated your wife for years, that she had gotten to the point that she despised you, that you had threatened her repeatedly with leaving her penniless in a divorce, that the night of the shooting you made that threat again, and that she was drunk and upset enough to hurt you or someone else that night In spite of your defense of her as your victim and your declaration of love, even you think she pulled the trigger, don't you?"

"I don't know," JR answered.

"You don't know? Or you just can't bring yourself to say it?"

"I don't know," JR said again.

"Again, how convenient. I have nothing further for this witness."

"The witness is excused," the judge said flatly. "The District Attorney will call his next witness."

"The state calls Miss Kristen Sheppard to the stand."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
So, you seduced a married woman, who you knew was miserable, for no other reason than to hurt her husband. Then when she was totally committed to you and ready to leave her husband, you dumped her because of your own career ambitions. Then you humiliated her in public by filing a paternity suit even after she told you the baby belonged to her husband. Is that correct?"

"Now listen, when you put it like that, it sounds bad…"

"It sounds bad because it is bad," Kiefer cut him off. "Mr. Barnes, it amazes me that you would expect this jury or anyone else to give any weight to your assessment of Mrs. Ewing's character given your own disgusting behavior. I have no further use for this witness.."

And that is why I hate Cliff.

Loved JR here and that he tried to do right by Sue Ellen on the stand.

Even so I still want to smack him silly for only realising her worth and what she means to him when it's too bloody late, as always.

And I thought I told you to run Kristen, you little bitch.

I really don't think Sue Ellen ever did anything to deserve the hatred and poison she throws at her.

Very scared of what happens next but I can't look away.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***
Shot Through the Heart

Part Ten:

***

"Sue Ellen, how could you not tell me!"

"I told you I had no memory of that night!"

Kiefer slammed his fist into the wall and growled in frustration. Kristen had destroyed them.

She testified that the night of the shooting, Sue Ellen had come to her apartment, drunk and furious. She said that she and Sue Ellen had fought. Kristen had told her she was pregnant with JR's child. She said Sue Ellen had exploded in a violent rage and hit her, then stormed out of the apartment. Kristen said she'd been worried about her sister driving drunk so she'd followed her. She said Sue Ellen drove straight to Ewing Oil and had shot JR right before Kristen's eyes.

Kiefer had been shocked. He'd tried to lessen the impact of the testimony by painting Kristen as a liar and an adulterer, but the damage was done.

"We have to change our strategy now, Sue Ellen. I have to convince the jury that you were under such emotional stress that you snapped."

"I don't think she's telling the truth! I remember being in a car, but I wasn't driving!"

"Well, I hope for your sake you can remember everything that happened - and fast. Otherwise, you're going to prison, Sue Ellen. And I can't stop it."

***

JE sat in the courtroom alone. He didn't dare leave his seat. As soon as he did, he knew the press would overwhelm him.

Kristen was pregnant - or at least she claimed she was pregnant. And she'd told Sue Ellen the night of the shooting.

For the first time, JR had to admit, at least to himself, that Sue Ellen had been the one who shot him. Not that he could blame her. But it still hurt to actually believe it.

People were slowly filing back into the courtroom now. Sue Ellen and her lawyer took their places at the defense table. She wouldn't even look in his direction. He wished he could see her eyes. He needed to know if she was okay.

"JR, I swear I want to shoot you myself!"

JR looked up to see a furious looking Miss Ellie. "Mama, I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"It's bad enough that you slept with Sue Ellen's sister! But getting her pregnant! What is WRONG with you?"

"I didn't do it on purpose…"

JR was interrupted by the judge entering the courtroom. "All rise!"

The judge sat down and banged his gavel. "You may be seated. The state has rested its case. The defense may call it's first witness."

Kiefer stood up and tried to figure out what to do. He couldn't call Sue Ellen yet. Kristen's revelations had upset her too badly. She was so fragile right now that she would break for sure under cross examination.

He looked around the courtroom. Several of JR's mistresses and business rivals were there ready to testify. But they wouldn't help at all now. What he needed was damage control. He glanced over at the Ewings and made up his mind. He hated to do it, but it's not like he hadn't warned that it could come to this.

"Mr. Kiefer?" The judge snapped.

"Sorry, your honor. The defense calls Miss Lucy Ewing to the stand."

Lucy gasped in shock and stood up.

"Objection!" The DA shot out of his chair. "Miss Ewing isn't on the witness list "

"If the esteemed DA will look harder, she is listed as a POSSIBLE witness in one of the addendums."

The judge shuffled through some papers and shrugged. "So she is. Objection overruled."

Lucy walked to the witness stand and was sworn in. She took her seat and cast a nervous glance at JR.

"Miss Ewing," Kiefer began, "have you and I met before?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"At your office in Houston. Right after Sue Ellen was arrested."

'Why did you come to see me?"

Lucy looked at her grandfather and silently prayed. "To hire you to defend her."

The courtroom erupted in gasps.

"Did you give me any money?"

"Yes. I paid your fee and I gave you a million dollars in cash to pay her bail."

"Oh, my God," Sue Ellen cried out. "It was you, Lucy?"

"Order in this court!" The judge banged his gavel. "Mrs. Ewing, no more outbursts!"

"Miss Ewing, the money you gave me, was it yours?"

"No. I don't have that kind of money. I was acting on behalf of someone else."

"Who?"

"My uncle."

"Which uncle?"

"JR."

The crowd began gasping and murmuring again. Sue Ellen's eyes grew as wide a saucers and she was shaking.

"JR Ewing gave you the money to pay his wife's bail and to hire me to be her lawyer?"

"Yes. And later he gave me the money to get her an apartment and pay all her bills."

"Why did he go through you? Why not contact me himself?"

"He knew my granddaddy would be upset. He knew he'd look at his finances to try to figure out who was helping Sue Ellen. He knew no one would check me out because I don't have anything. So he liquidated one of his shell companies that no one knew about and told me to take care of everything."

"Did he say why he wanted to help his wife? I mean, she had just been arrested for trying to kill him."

"He said it wasn't her fault. That whatever she did, he drove her to it. He said…"

"What?"

"He said he loved her and she didn't deserve to go to jail because he was a bastard."

"Do you think she should go to jail?"

"No, I do not," Lucy said firmly. "If she shot him, he deserved it. She never would have hurt a fly if he hadn't hurt her over and over. Whatever she is now, JR made her that way."

"Did you believe she was guilty?"

"Yeah," Lucy shrugged. "I figured that finally, after all those years of taking JR's abuse she finally snapped."

"Thank you, Miss Ewing."

"Does the state wish to cross examine?" The judge asked.

"Just one question, your honor," the DA rose.

"Miss Ewing, you have no first hand knowledge about the shooting and whether or not Mrs. Ewing pulled the trigger or what her state of mind was on that evening. Your testimony doesn't shed any light whatsoever on what happened the night of the shooting, correct?"

"Correct," Lucy said stiffly.

"Nothing further."

"The witness will step down. Mr. Kiefer, call your next witness."

"The defense recalls JR Ewing."

JR stood up. He patted Lucy on the shoulder as she walked past him.

"Mr. Ewing," the judge said as JR sat down in the witness box, "I remind you that you're still under oath."

JR nodded and fixed his eyes on Sue Ellen. She looked pale, as if she might pass out at any moment.

"Mr. Ewing," Kiefer got his attention. "You heard your niece's testimony. Was it truthful?"

"Yes," JR answered. "I'm Sue Ellen's anonymous benefactor."

"Why didn't you tell her?"

"I was afraid she wouldn't accept help from me."

"You also heard Miss Sheppard testify that she saw your wife shoot you."

"Yes."

"Does that make you regret helping her?"

"No. Like Lucy said, whatever she did, I pushed her to it. She isn't responsible. I am."

"Mr. Ewing, even knowing a witness says she saw your wife shoot you, do you still love her?"

"Yes. Yes, I do. She was drunk. I'd been extremely cruel to her that night. She'd just heard that I may have fathered a child with her own sister. That would have been too much for anyone to take."

"Do you forgive her?"

"Yes. I just hope one day she can forgive me."

"Thank you, Mr. Ewing."

"Does the state wish to redirect?"

"Yes, your honor," the DA stood. "Mr Ewing, you believe your wife snapped because she found out your sister-in-law was pregnant with your child?"

"Yes."

"Then explain to me why she already had the gun in her possession when she went to see her sister."

"Excuse me?"

"She took the gun before she knew about any baby. That seems like premeditation to me."

"She didn't plan to shoot me," JR growled.

"You're hardly a good judge of her intentions, Mr. Ewing. As you say, you love her. No further questions."

"The court will stand in recess until tomorrow morning," the judge said.

Kiefer looked at Sue Ellen and shook his head. He needed to get her out of there. She looked horrible. And who could blame her? After everything she'd been shocked with today, it was a damn miracle she was still upright and breathing.

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I KNEW it. That's my boy.
Loved how he did it through Lucy too and how protective she seems to be of Sue Ellen.
I really love the way Lucy is always used in your stories. She deserved better on the show and you always give it to her.

But back to JR. I am SUPER proud right now. His testimony made me really teary.
Though I still really wish he could've realised all this BEFORE.

What I REALLY wish though is that somehow they can beat this case, get their son, bugger off and live on a tropical island somewhere away from toxic parents, spoilt and vindictive siblings, and dallas society snobs and good ole boys.

Waiting, behind my hands, to see what happens next.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Eleven:

***

"Stay here," Kiefer told Sue Ellen. "Stay with her please?"

"Of course," Pam nodded.

Kiefer moved towards the door to the tiny conference room. He'd hidden Sue Ellen away, hoping the crowd would thin out, but so far the courthouse was still packed.

"Excuse me," he waved at JR. "Mr. Ewing?'

JR nodded and pushed his way through the crowd. "How is she?"

"Shocked. Furious. Terrified."

"Can I see her?"

"No. Not now. She specifically said she didn't want to see you. She's too fragile to push right now."

"What can I do?"

"I need to get her out of here and get her home. Can you think of some way to get rid of all the gawkers?"

"As a matter of fact, yes I can. Please call me later and let me know how she's doing. I'm worried sick."

"You should be, JR. We all should be."

JR nodded and turned away from the lawyer. "Hey!" He yelled at the top of his lungs. "Attention! I'm giving a statement out on the courthouse steps in ten minutes. If you want to hear what I have to say, you'd better be out there!"

JR watched as the crowd rushed down the hall towards the exit. "Sneak her out the back," JR told him. "I'll keep the vultures busy for a while. And tell Pam to go with her."

Kiefer nodded and hurried back to Sue Ellen.

"JR," Bobby said, suddenly appearing in front of him. "Do you think it's smart to make a statement?"

"No. It's stupid as hell. But it's the only way I can think of to get these bastards outside so Sue Ellen can leave in peace. I want Pam to go with Sue Ellen."

"Of course. Do you want your brother to stand beside you when you face the press?"

"I…" JR stopped and took a deep breath. "Yes, Bobby. Thanks. It means a lot."

Bobby clapped JR on the back. "Let's get this show on the road then."

***

"Grandpa?" Lucy stared up a Jock nervously. "You haven't said one word."

"What should I say, Lucy? You and JR have made a laughing stock of the Ewing name."

"Jock this isn't her fault…"

"Don't defend her to me, Ellie. She deliberately disobeyed me."

"I had a good reason," Lucy defended.

"Helping that drunken whore and her cheating bastard of a husband isn't a good reason. I want you off Southfork, Lucy. Tonight."

"Jock, no!" Ellie gasped.

"My house, my rules. She broke them. She lost the privilege of staying under my roof and my protection."

"Please, Jock…"

"My mind's made up, Ellie. I want JR gone too. Now. And I'm done discussing it."

"It's okay, Grandma," Lucy said softly. "Both JR and I knew this might happen. I'm sorry you're upset. Both of you. But I did what I thought was right and I'd do it again."

She turned on her heels and walked away from her grandparents, her back straight and her head held high.

***

"Pam?" Sue Ellen whispered shakily, "I need to see Dr. Elby. Now."

"Are you okay?"

"I... I think I'm starting to remember."

"Probably the shock of today's revelations," Kiefer muttered, "we'll call him from the car. We have to get out of here while we can."

"Let me help you, Sue Ellen," Pam held out her hand and helped Sue Ellen stand.

"Pam, I… I think I was at JR's office that night. God forgive me, I think I shot him."

"It's okay, Sue Ellen," Pam soothed her. "Whatever the truth is, we'll deal with it. Let's just get you home."

"I'm scared, Pam," tears flowed freely from Sue Ellen's eyes. "It's over. My whole life is over."

***

"I just want to make a brief statement. No questions," JR said loudly.

"Kristen Sheppard is a deeply disturbed young woman. What she said on the stand today shouldn't be believed without proof. She's a liar and a con artist. She's not a credible witness and her testimony that she saw my wife shoot me means exactly nothing. I encourage all of you to come back tomorrow when my wife's attorney will expose Miss Sheppard's tall tales for what they are. Thank you."

JR and Bobby pushed their way down the steps and through the crowd.

"JR!"

JR stopped, turned around, and saw Lucy struggling to make her way to him. "What are you still doing here?"

"Grandpa wants us both off the ranch. Tonight."

"My God," Bobby breathed out. "What's wrong with him?"

"He's a stubborn old man with stubborn ways. It's fine. Lucy and I can stay at one of the condos until he calms down."

"I'll bring you some things," Bobby told him. "JR...your statement…"

"What about it?"

"What if Sue Ellen's lawyer can't prove Kristen is lying?"

A darkness spread over JR's face and he growled. "Then God help us all."

***

"Dr. Elby is on his way over," Pam said, coming into the living room.

"She holding up?" Kiefer asked.

"Better than I expected," Pam sighed. "I think I'd be bouncing off the walls."

"Is she angry with me?"

"Furious."

"Well, I don't blame her I guess. I wish I'd had time to warn her before I outed JR as her benefactor."

"She should have known."

"Why?"

"I did," Pam shrugged. "Seemed pretty obvious if you ask me."

"When it comes to JR and Sue Ellen, what's obvious to everyone else is hard for them to see."

"Don't I know it," Pam chuckled.

"He wants to see her."

"Yes. I knew he would. Wait until Dr. Elby gets here, then give him a call and tell him to come on over."

"Sue Ellen won't like that."

"Sue Ellen isn't in any condition to decide anything right now. Trust me. I know what I'm doing. She needs to see JR. She just can't admit it herself."

***

Bobby carried two suitcases down the stairs and set them in front of the door. Jock and Ellie watched him silently from the living room.

"What are you doing, boy?" Jock yelled from the living room. "You and Pam moving out again?"

Bobby sighed heavily and strode in to face his parents. "I guess that depends on you," Bobby answered his father. "These bags are for Lucy and JR. But you need to know Pam and I are going to help them. Sue Ellen too. If that's going to be a problem for you, then yes. Pam and I will leave too."

"Why would you want to help them, after everything they've done?" Jock demanded.

"They're family," Bobby told him. "You brought us up to believe that Ewings take care of their own."

"They humiliated this family!"

"Yes. Today was very embarrassing. There's going to be a huge scandal. But we all should have seen this coming."

"What are you talking about?"

"We've all sat back and watched JR neglect and abuse Sue Ellen for years. We never interfered. You and mama never held JR accountable for anything he's done to that woman."

"It's not our place to interfere in their marriage, Bobby," Miss Ellie protested.

"Really? This is your house. Your rules as Daddy says. We all could have done something. Instead we watched her try to drink away her pain, hurt herself, hurt others. None of us ever tried to help her. Not really. But we all knew it might end badly one day, didn't we?"

"Bobby, you listen here…"

"No, Daddy," Bobby cut him off. "YOU listen. Sue Ellen is in real trouble. And for ONCE in his miserable life, JR is trying to do right by her. So what if he defied you? He's taking care of his family, FINALLY. You should be proud of him. For this at least. Lucy too. I am. And I'm not going to cut then out of my life to please you."

Bobby turned around, retrieved the bags, and walked out the front door.

"Oh, Jock," Ellie sighed sadly. "What have we done?"

***

"How long are we going to wait?" JR asked impatiently.

"As long as it takes," Kiefer shrugged.

Sue Ellen and Dr. Elby had been locked behind the closed door of Sue Ellen's bedroom for what seemed like an eternity. JR wanted desperately to see her, to apologize for everything. Of course, he knew there was not much of a chance she'd ever forgive him.

"I just talked to Bobby," Pam said, coming into the room and sitting down beside JR on the couch. "He's with Lucy at the condo. There was a scene with Jock and Ellie."

"I can't worry about my parents right now," JR grunted.

Sue Ellen's bedroom door opened suddenly and Dr. Elby came out.

"How is she?" JR jumped off the couch.

"Scared. Fragile. But she remembers."

"Can she tell us what happened?"

"Yes. But…"

"What?" JR snapped.

"Mr. Ewing, please be careful how you react. Keep your anger in check. She isn't in any condition to deal with an outburst from you."

"There won't be any outburst," JR mumbled the promise.

"Alright. I'll go get her."

JR paced nervously while he waited for Sue Ellen to come into the room. When she finally appeared she looked weak and sickly.

Dr. Elby helped her to the couch and sat down beside her. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen said softly. She looked around the room and settled her eyes on JR's face. "I remember everything," Sue Ellen told him. "JR, it was me."

"It was you what, honey?" He kept his voice soft and gentle.

"It was me, JR. I'm the one who shot you."

**"
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I KNEW it. That's my boy.
Loved how he did it through Lucy too and how protective she seems to be of Sue Ellen.
I really love the way Lucy is always used in your stories. She deserved better on the show and you always give it to her.

But back to JR. I am SUPER proud right now. His testimony made me really teary.
Though I still really wish he could've realised all this BEFORE.

What I REALLY wish though is that somehow they can beat this case, get their son, bugger off and live on a tropical island somewhere away from toxic parents, spoilt and vindictive siblings, and dallas society snobs and good ole boys.

Waiting, behind my hands, to see what happens next.
Lucy was always one of my favorites. Titon's chemistry with Hagman was second only to Linda's. It's a shame they didn't use her more and better.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
It's AWESOME to see the family standing up to Jock and going to bat for Sue Ellen and each other.
I really love that JR tried to come through for her and actually owns HIS part in this mess.
Now I just need Miss Ellie to find her backbone and step up for her kids.
Jerk I give up on. He is stubborn, childish, vindictive, selfish...... ok I know JR can be all those things sometimes too... does that make me a hypocrit to defend him?

Still broken hearted for my girl though, and I can't lie, even knowing the plotline of this story, I still hoped for a reveal that it WASN'T her that pulled the trigger.

I hope JR can keep himself in check and remember everything he said in court.

Going back behind my hands now.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Twelve:

***

"Sue Ellen?" Pam put her arm around the other woman. "If you can't do this, you don't have to."

"No," Sue Ellen shook her head. "I finally remember what happened. I want to tell you. I want to tell HIM. I'm just scared.

"It's alright, honey," JR softly assured her. "I promise, I won't lose my temper."

Sue Ellen nodded and took a deep breath.

"JR, after we argued that night, I was so angry. And scared. I knew if you succeeded in putting me in a sanitarium, I would lose everything, including John Ross. I didn't know what to do. So I drank. I drank so much…"

"It's okay, Sue Ellen," JR coaxed her. "Go on honey."

"I took the gun from the closet. But I wasn't coming to see you."

"You went to Kristen's," Pam said. "Why?"

"I hated her so much. I know it doesn't make sense, but I blamed her for everything. I drove to her apartment. When I got there she wasn't alone."

"What? Someone else was there?" Kiefer asked.

"Yes," she looked up at JR. "Jordan Lee. They were clearly having a romantic evening. He left when I got there. Embarrassed to have been caught. Kristen and I fought. I told her I was going to tell JR about Jordan. She laughed and said he wouldn't care when she told him she was carrying his child. I…"

"Sue Ellen," JR's voice was full of sadness. He walked over and squatted down in front of her, taking her hands in his, "I'm so sorry, honey."

"I lost my temper. There was a vase with flowers on the counter. I picked it up and threw it at her. Glass and water went everywhere. She bent to pick the broken vase up and cut her hand on the jagged glass. That's why I remembered the colors and the water. The flowers were pink and blue. The red was from her blood. The water from the vase."

"Oh, Sue Ellen…" Pam breathed out.

"We argued some more. She told me that JR was going to put me away, divorce me, then marry her. She said he had already made plans to get rid of me and that he couldn't stand the sight of me. She said she was going to take my place at Southfork and raise her baby...and mine. I was so angry. Hurt and ashamed. I pulled the gun out of my purse."

She stopped and began sobbing. JR pulled her closely to him and gently rubbed her back. "Now honey, there was never the slightest chance that would have happened."

"She offered me a drink. God help me, I took it. Then another. Of course I put the gun down. She picked it up. After a while she said we should go see JR together. Confront him and let him choose for himself which one of us he wanted. I agreed. She drove. By the time we got to the office, I was having second thoughts. I didn't want to go in. I pleaded with her to just take me to a hotel so I could sleep it off. She refused and said we needed to get JR to make a decision once and for all. I gave in."

She paused for a minute and took a deep breath. "May I have some water?"

"Of course!" Pam jumped up and went into the kitchen. She came back a few moments later and handed Sue Ellen a glass. Sue Ellen took a long drink and then continued.

"When we got to the office, it was dark. But the door to JR's office was open. She pulled the gun out of her purse. I was scared. JR had his back to us. She aimed the gun right at him. I tried to…" she broke off in a deep sob.

"Shhhh," JR comforted her. "It's not your fault, sweetheart."

"Yes it is, JR!" She cried. "I tried to take the gun from her. I didn't want her to hurt you. We struggled. The gun went off...there were shots. I saw you fall. I wanted to call the police but...oh, JR, I was so drunk. She said you were dead and we needed to save ourselves! I let her take me back to her apartment. I had another drink and passed out."

JR growled under his breath, pulled her fully into his arms, and sat down, settling her in his lap. "Now honey, you listen to me. This isn't your fault. None of it."

"Don't you see, JR? You were hurt. And I just left you there!"

"You were too drunk to understand what you were doing, honey. I don't blame you. Please don't blame yourself."

Kiefer watched as JR gently stroked Sue Ellen's hair and nuzzled her neck. "Sue Ellen, I'm sorry. But there's an important detail I need to ask about."

"What?" She asked, her voice muffled against JR's chest.

"Your prints were on the gun, hers weren't. Think hard. Was she wearing gloves?"

"I…" Sue Ellen sat up and focused her teary eyes on her lawyer's face. "Yes! Yes! Black leather gloves!"

"Alright," Kiefer said, standing up. "I'll get a continuance based on Sue Ellen's mental and physical state. Are you willing to tell the judge she needs a day or two?" He asked Dr. Elby.

"Absolutely."

"JR, I know you want to be with Sue Ellen, but I need you. Let Pam take her to lie down. You and I have a lot of work to do."

"What kind of work?" JR asked.

"I need you to put all that power and influence to work for us. I need a search warrant, I need phone records, I need bank records."

"Alright," JR agreed. He pulled back slightly and kissed the top of Sue Ellen's head. "Go with Pam, honey. I'll come check on you in a bit."

"I'm so sorry, JR," she whispered to him.

"Sue Ellen, you haven't done anything wrong. I caused this. All of it. I'm the one who should be begging you for forgiveness. Now, you go on with Pam. I have work to do, honey."

Sue Ellen nodded, stood up, and let Pam lead her into the bedroom.

JR stood up and walked to the telephone. He picked it up, dialed a number, and held the phone to his ear. "McSween? JR here. I need you. Right now. And find me a friendly judge, would you?"

***

"Jesus," Lucy shook her head. "Poor Sue Ellen!"

"Yes," Bobby grimaced. "Pam is really worried about her."

"She didn't mean to shoot him," Lucy said thoughtfully. "The DA will have to take that into consideration, right?"

"I would think so. At the very least, he can't get a conviction for first degree now."

"What's going to happen to Kristen?"

"I don't know," Bobby sighed. "But as mad as JR is about Sue Ellen being so hurt by all this? Well, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in that woman's shoes."

***

"The judge only gave us 24 hours. Is that enough time?"

"Should be," McSween looked up at Kiefer. "I'll get my judge to sign the search warrants and then my men will go to work."

"Just remember, you're looking for one item in particular, a pair of black leather gloves. That's the most important thing."

"If she still has them, we'll find them."

"Pray she didn't get rid of them. Without those gloves, Sue Ellen doesn't stand a chance."

***

"Do you understand me, Sue Ellen? Do you understand why I have to leave you for a little while?"

"Yes," she said sadly. "I understand."

She was lying on her bed on her side, facing away from him. He was sitting on the bed next to her, his hand resting lightly on her hip.

"I'm sorry, honey, but if she is pregnant and that baby is mine…"

"I know, JR."

"Sue Ellen...have I lost you?"

He heard her cry softly and cursed himself for the thousandth time. "Sue Ellen, is it over? I need to know."

"I don't know how to answer that, JR," she cried. "I need some time."

"Alright, honey."

He stood up and nodded to Pam who was sitting in a chair in the corner. "Take care of her. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I will," Pam promised, standing up and taking his place beside Sue Ellen on the bed. "Good luck, JR."

JR nodded again and glanced back at the bed. "I know it's not worth much for you to hear this right now, but I do love you, Sue Ellen. And I am so very sorry."

She didn't reply, just cried harder. He watched Pam comfort her and turned to leave the room.

He prayed she would give him another chance. But he wouldn't blame her one bit if she refused.

He'd destroyed her. And now they all had to live with the consequences.

***

Sue Ellen rolled over and glanced at her bedside clock.

Almost 3 a.m.

Pam had spent the night with her. She was sleeping on the couch. Everyone else was gone. Kiefer
had gone back to his hotel to get a few hours sleep before he had to start going through Kristen's phone and financial records. Dr. Elby had left with instructions for her to call him immediately if she felt the urge to drink. And JR…

She had no idea where JR was spending his night. He'd gone with McSween to push a judge to sign off on the needed search warrants. He wanted Kristen's medical records. It seemed to Sue Ellen that he was more concerned about that baby than he was about her.

He had claimed over and over that he loved her. But he'd been playing another sick game with her for weeks. Part of her understood why he didn't want her to know that he'd been the one paying her bills, but why question her about it constantly? Why accuse her of having a lover keeping her up when he knew it was him?

She loved him. She knew she probably would always love him. But she would never understand him.

And now she was going to prison. JR would no doubt find another wife quickly. And her son, her precious John Ross would be raised by another woman alongside Kristen's bastard at Southfork.

JR would move on with his life and forget about her rather quickly. He kept saying this was all his fault, but it was Sue Ellen who would be suffering the consequences.

"Damn you, JR," she cried, "you finally destroyed me completely."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I'm gonna need something much bigger and heavier than the iron to deal with that evil little whore now.
And at the sametime I just wanna sit in the corner and cry.
Loved how JR was with Sue Ellen after he heard what happened, and it breaks my heart to see her think he cares more about the baby than her
(he doesn't though right, he just wants to prove Kristen's a liar to help and protect his woman?).
If he really does love her as much as he says JR needs to work his arse off and do WHATEVER and I mean WHATEVER he needs to do to fix this.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I'm gonna need something much bigger and heavier than the iron to deal with that evil little whore now.
And at the sametime I just wanna sit in the corner and cry.
Loved how JR was with Sue Ellen after he heard what happened, and it breaks my heart to see her think he cares more about the baby than her
(he doesn't though right, he just wants to prove Kristen's a liar to help and protect his woman?).
If he really does love her as much as he says JR needs to work his arse off and do WHATEVER and I mean WHATEVER he needs to do to fix this.
In this story, JR doesn't believe she's pregnant and that even if she is, it probably isn't his (his reasons for that will be clear in the next couple of chapters.

BUT- if it turns out to be his kid, he's going to want it. And that could be big trouble for him and Sue Ellen.

It never rang true to me on the show that he accepted Kristen's baby was his so easily and then was so willing to let his own child be taken by Kristen and then Bobby.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Thirteen:

***

JR stood to the side, careful not to get in the way while McSween assembled his men outside Kristen's apartment.

They'd gotten all their search warrants. McSween already had copies of Kristen's phone, financial, and most importantly, her medical records. Now they were getting ready to search her apartment.

He glanced at his watch. It was a little before 5 a.m. They were going to catch her completely by surprise.

"We're ready, JR," McSween told him. "Remember, you're here as a courtesy. Please don't get in the way. And don't touch anything. We can't have you contaminating the search. Understand?"

"Yes," JR answered. "Let's just get this over with. The sooner we get what we need, the sooner I can get my wife clear of the charges against her."

McSween nodded and turned his attention back to his men. "Alright, boys. Let's get this show on the road."

***

"You're up early," Pam said when Sue Ellen came into the kitchen.

"I haven't been asleep," Sue Ellen sighed. "Is there coffee?"

"Of course."

Sue Ellen sat down on a stool at the kitchen counter and watched while Pam fixed her a cup of coffee. "Did you manage to get any sleep? I can't imagine my couch is very comfortable."

"I slept some," Pam told her. "Not much."

"Thank you for staying here last night. It was a comfort not being alone."

"Of course, Sue Ellen."

"I don't suppose you've heard anything from JR."

"No. Not since late last night."

"He's going to want that baby."

"Sue Ellen…"

"I'm going to take a shower," Sue Ellen said suddenly, standing up. "I have a feeling this is going to be a long and difficult day."

***

"Are you going to sulk all day?" Jock snapped at his wife.

"No. I'm not. I'm taking John Ross to his mother. Then I'm going to see Lucy and ask her to come home."

"I'll be damned.."

"Yes," Ellie cut him off, "if you continue this insanity one moment longer, you WILL be damned, Jock Ewing! Everything Bobby said to us last night is the truth. If we're embarrassed by the scandal, then it's our fault for letting it all come to this. We could have helped Sue Ellen a dozen different ways. Instead we looked the other way, over and over. WE raised JR. That makes US partially responsible for what he is."

"Ellie.."

"No, Jock. I don't want to hear it. I want my family back. All of them. If you can't accept that, then YOU are the one who needs to leave! Do you understand me?"

"Yeah I understand," he growled, standing up and heading towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?"

"To get ready. If you're going to get that girl and bring her home, I reckon I should go with you."

***

"They won't find anything, you know. I'm telling the truth, JR."

JR shot Kristen a disgusted look and rolled his eyes. "You wouldn't know the truth if it walked right up to you and bit you on the ass."

"Said the pot to the kettle," Kristen laughed. "You're going to have to start being nicer to me, JR. After all, I'm going to be the mother of your child."

"Let's get something straight, Kristen," JR growled at her, "I don't believe you're pregnant. And if you are, I doubt it's mine. And if it by some miracle does turn out to be mine, I'll take it the minute it's born and you'll never see it again."

"You can try, JR," Kristen laughed. "But I suspect that you and I are going to be a big part of each other's lives from now on. Co-parenting our baby will take a lot of work."

JR started to reply, but was interrupted by McSween. "We're done."

He handed a piece of paper to Kristen. "Here's a list of everything we're taking."

Kristen didn't even look at it. She tossed it onto her coffee table and turned her gaze back to JR. "You know, I wouldn't object to marriage. After all, Sue Ellen will be in prison. You'll need someone to raise the children. Who better to take Sue Ellen's place in John Ross's life than his loving aunt?"

JR's eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. "You could never take Sue Ellen's place. Not with John Ross and not with me."

"That's not what you used to tell me."

"Are you really do stupid that you still think I ever really wanted you? I wanted sex from you, Kristen. Nothing else. I love Sue Ellen."

"No you don't," Kristen said stubbornly.

"I pimped you out, Kristen. I had you sleep with business associates. I caught you in bed with an old boyfriend red handed and didn't care. You're a whore, and that's how I treated you. Sue Ellen is my wife. The thought of any other man touching her makes me sick to my stomach. I sure as hell wouldn't offer her up for sex to close a business deal."

"Who are you trying to convince, JR? Me or yourself?"

"You little…"

"JR," McSween cut him off. "Let's go. We need to get this stuff to the lab."

JR crammed his hat onto his head angrily and followed McSween out of the apartment without another word.

"Did you find anything useful?" JR asked once they were in the hallway.

"Maybe. We have two pairs of black leather gloves. If one of them has gunpowder residue…"

"Then Kristen is done, once and for all."

***

"I'll get it!" Pam called our, moving to the front door. She looked through the peephole and smiled. "Hello, John Ross! Your mama will be so glad to see you! Hi Miss Ellie."

"Hello, Pam. How is Sue Ellen?" Ellie asked handing the little boy over to his aunt.

"Devastated," Pam told her truthfully. "It was wonderful of you to bring John Ross to her, but I don't think she's ready to see you."

"I understand," Ellie nodded. "Please tell her I… Tell her I am thinking of her if she needs me to please call."

"I will, Miss Ellie. But she won't call you. She knows very well how Jock feels about her."

"Yes, he made that plain, didn't he? I guess we both did."

"Yes," Pam didn't bother to deny it.

"Still, tell her I love her. I had better get going. Jock is waiting in the car. We're going to see Lucy and ask her to come home."

"That's wonderful, Miss Ellie."

"Is Bobby here? He didn't come home last night."

"He spent the night with Lucy at the condo so she wouldn't be alone. This morning he went to see Sue Ellen's lawyer and then they were going to see Jordan Lee."

"Jordan? Why?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Ellie. I've already said more than I should have."

"Alright, Pam."

Ellie leaned forward and kissed John Ross on the cheek. "Have fun with your mama. See you soon."

Pam watched Ellie turn to leave, shut the door, and carried John Ross to Sue Ellen's bedroom. "Sue Ellen! Look who came to see you!"

***

"Is Jordan Lee sufficiently cowed?" JR asked, sweeping into Kiefer's temporary office like he owned the place.

"Mortified is more like it," Bobby told him."She told him the baby was his. She's been getting monthly checks from him for a while."

"And he knows he might have to take a blood test when the time comes? I mean if the slut is even pregnant."

"She's definitely pregnant," Kiefer told him. "We got her medical records. And the timing means the baby could be yours."

"I doubt it," JR said.

"Why, JR?" Bobby asked him.

"I have my reasons. That doesn't matter now. What matters is we can prove she had multiple lovers and she has claimed at least two different men fathered that baby. That'll hurt her credibility with the jury."

"Yes," Kiefer agreed. "Not sure that will be enough though. We need to be able to prove she fired that gun."

"Sue Ellen can testify…"

"No. She can't," Kiefer cut JR off. "There's no way I can put Sue Ellen on the stand."

"Why not?" JR demanded.

"Because she'll confess to shooting you."

"It was an accident."

"Yes. But the jury might not see it that way. Listen to me carefully, JR. My strategy is to give the jury reasonable doubt, to make it seem not just plausible but likely that Kristen pulled the trigger. I have no intention of telling anyone else what really happened that night."

"But…"

"No buts, JR. I know what I'm doing. And I've made up my mind."

***

Lucy looked at her grandfather suspiciously. "I don't get it. Why the change of heart?"

"Your grandma wants you home," he grunted.

"Uh huh. What about you, Grandpa?"

"What about me?" He snapped.

"I'm not coming home if you're going to be nasty to me. I refuse to live my life under the roof of a man who doesn't want me there."

"Now, listen here…"

"Jock, don't," Ellie warned.

"What do you want me to say, girl?" Jock grumbled. "That I was wrong? Okay. Fine. I was wrong. I shouldn't have made you leave in the first place and I won't hold you helping Sue Even against you. I want you back at Southfork where you belong. Satisfied?"

"Yes!" Lucy jumped up and hugged him. "Totally satisfied. I'll get my stuff!"


***

"Hi honey," Bobby bent to kiss his wife. "It's so good to see you."

"Long day?"

"Very," Bobby sighed.

"How's he doing?" Pam nodded at JR.

"Not well. Sue Ellen?"

"She's been better since Miss Ellie brought John Ross."

"I need to talk to Sue Ellen alone," Kiefer told them. "Where is she?"

"In her bedroom with John Ross."

"I'll get him," JR volunteered.

"No," Kiefer stopped him. "I don't want her to lay eyes on you until I know where her head is."

"I'll bring him to you, JR," Pam moved toward the bedroom.

JR bit back a growl and sat down on the couch. He needed to see her, to touch her, to hold her. But Kiefer was right. She might not be in any shape to deal with him. He was going to have to be patient; even though it was eating him alive inside.

***

"You think this will work?" Sue Ellen chewed at her bottom lip.

"Yes." Kiefer told her. "I do."

"But what if they don't find any gunpowder on Kristen's gloves?"

"Well, that will be a setback. But even without a smoking gun, so to speak, Jordan Lee's testimony, plus recalling JR and the financial and phone records… it's enough to create reasonable doubt."

"It feels like a lie, me not telling the jury what really happened…"

"It's not a lie, Sue Ellen. Kristen had the gun in her hands same as you."

"And JR is willing to get on the stand and tell the whole world his secret?"

"He's not happy about it. But he'll do it. For you."

"I can't believe he never told me."

"You two have a severe communication problem."

"Yes. Always have."

"Do you understand why I couldn't tell you he was your benefactor."

"Yes. He's right. I wouldn't have taken the money if I'd known it was coming from him."

"Look, I'm a lawyer, not a marriage counselor. But he does love you, Sue Ellen. Very much."

"I know that," she sighed. "I love him too. Unfortunately, that's never been enough."

"You have to talk to him."

"Yes," she said again. "May as well get it over with."

She stood up and walked to the door. When she walked into the living room, everyone stopped talking and turned their attention straight on her.

"JR," she nodded at him. He was sitting on the living room floor playing blocks with John Ross.

"Hello, honey."

"We need to talk. I have some serious questions for you."

"Want to go to the bedroom?"

"No, JR," she shook her head. "You're going to answer me right here in front of everyone. After all, you're going to have to tell the whole world tomorrow, aren't you?"

"Yes," he said softly. "And I will."

"I'll make us some coffee and put John Ross down for the night," Pam volunteered.

"Alright, JR," Sue Ellen walked over to the couch and sat down. "No lies. Do you understand?"

"I understand," he said, handing John Ross to Pam and moving to join Sue Ellen on the couch.

"Are you capable of being totally honest with me? Please don't waste my time if you're not."

"I am, Sue Ellen. I swear it. I won't lie. I can't. Not if I want to save you from prison. Not if I want to save our marriage."

"Let's just focus on the first thing, JR," Sue Ellen fixed her eyes on his. "Because our marriage may very well be way past saving now."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
"Are you going to sulk all day?" Jock snapped at his wife.

"No. I'm not. I'm taking John Ross to his mother. Then I'm going to see Lucy and ask her to come home."

"I'll be damned.."

"Yes," Ellie cut him off, "if you continue this insanity one moment longer, you WILL be damned, Jock Ewing! Everything Bobby said to us last night is the truth. If we're embarrassed by the scandal, then it's our fault for letting it all come to this. We could have helped Sue Ellen a dozen different ways. Instead we looked the other way, over and over. WE raised JR. That makes US partially responsible for what he is."

"Ellie.."

"No, Jock. I don't want to hear it. I want my family back. All of them. If you can't accept that, then YOU are the one who needs to leave! Do you understand me?"

FINALLY at least ONE of them gets it. Gotta love a feisty Miss Ellie and better late than never I guess.

"Look, I'm a lawyer, not a marriage counselor. But he does love you, Sue Ellen. Very much."

"I know that," she sighed. "I love him too. Unfortunately, that's never been enough."

Ain't that the truth, and it breaks MY heart, every damn time too.
"Let's just focus on the first thing, JR," Sue Ellen fixed her eyes on his. "Because our marriage may very well be way past saving now."

I will never give up my hope for their happy ending though.

Man this is tearing my nerves and emotions to shreds.

Still awesome though.
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Jordan is on the shit list now. If he's been keeping secrets with Kristin this whole time...

Also JR and Sue Ellen may love each other but yep, they have awful communication. They need therapy and then perhaps to leave the entire crappy place behind.

Jock is as stubborn as ever :ms:
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fourteen:

***

"Well, go ahead, Sue Ellen," JR grunted. "Ask me whatever you want."

"Why did you interrogate me over and over about who was paying my bills? Why did you accuse me.of having a lover?"

"Because you did have a lover, Sue Ellen. Recently anyway."

"How do you know that?"

"I'm not stupid, woman," he growled. "I watch you, even though you don't notice. I know how you act when another man is in your life. Why the hell do you think I was so mad at you? So nasty? I was jealous. Pure and simple."

"You're right, JR. I did have a lover. But he's gone now. He's been gone a while."

"What happened?"

"That doesn't matter now. And just because you suspected I was having an affair, you knew damn well no lover was helping me. So why constantly accuse me?"

"I wanted to see how you reacted," JR shrugged. "I wanted to know if he was still in your life. You told me he wasn't and I believed you. I only accused you of having a lover to keep you up once, honey."

"That's your first lie JR. You said more than once it was a man who…"

"A man who was obsessed with you," he finished for her. "A man who wanted you. That wasn't a lie honey. It was the truth. I just didn't tell you I was that man. I was kind of hoping you'd get the hint and figure out it was me."

"If you wanted me to know, why not just tell me?"

"I was afraid to, honey. And you know why."

Sue Ellen shook her head and sighed heavily. "Why didn't you ever tell me you went to see the doctor after I told you I was pregnant with John Ross? Why didn't you ever tell me what he told you?"

"I knew if I did, you'd use it against me. I already felt like less of a man. I didn't need you believing that too."

"I would never have thought that, JR."

"Wouldn't you have, honey? Maybe not. But you would have thrown it up in my face everytime we argued and you know it."

"Yes," Sue Ellen confessed softly. "I probably would have."

"Sue Ellen, I was always careful anyway. With Kristen, with every woman. I didn't want a child with anyone but you."

"And you really believe Kristen's child isn't yours?"

"I guess there's a chance. But it's a small one. You and I had a damn healthy sex life in the early days. You only got pregnant once - with John Ross. And like I said, I was careful."

"But if the child does turn out to be yours?"

"I won't lie about it, Sue Ellen. If it's my baby, I'm going to want it."

"And her? Will you want my sister too?"

"No, Sue Ellen. I swear I want nothing to do with her."

"I hope not, JR. Because after tomorrow, Kristen will be toxic."

"Yes. I know. And I don't care."

"Sue Ellen, is there anything else you want to ask him before we start outlining tomorrow's defense strategy?" Kiefer asked after a few minutes of silence.

"No," Sue Ellen answered him. "I have other questions, but they can wait."

"Alright," Kiefer said. "Tomorrow I'm putting Jordan Lee on the stand. He'll testify that Kristen told him that he was the father of her baby and was blackmailing him. Then we'll put JR up again. He's going to have to testify about his medical condition and about some very unpleasant intimate details about his relationship with Kristen. We might need Barnes again too. It's going to embarrass your family again," he glanced up at Bobby and Pam.

"We'll deal with it," Bobby said.

"Last we'll put McSween up. He's the key. He needs to explain why the jury should suspect Kristen instead of Sue Ellen."

"What if there's no physical evidence against Kristen?" Pam asked. "What if they didn't find anything useful in her apartment?"

"Then he's going to have to sell the motive and the circumstantial evidence hard. I'm afraid Detective McSween is going to have to put on an acting performance worthy of an Oscar."

***

"I told you not to worry!" Kristen snapped. "Everything is still under control. So what if we have to testify again? Just stick to the story and we'll be fine! Stop acting like a little whiny girl."

She slammed down the phone and growled. Every man in her life was so damned weak….

Well, every man except JR. She knew he was coming after her to save his precious Sue Ellen.

But it would all be for nothing. Kristen was more than a match for JR Ewing.

Big sister would soon be tucked away in prison and JR would be hers for the taking.

And she couldn't wait.

***

"Tomorrow's going to be a long day," Bobby sighed, standing up. "We'd all better get back to Southfork and get some rest."

"I think I should stay here with Sue Ellen and John Ross," Pam said. "I don't want her to be alone."

"I'll stay with her," JR insisted. "I'll bring John Ross by the ranch before I go to the courthouse tomorrow."

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Pam hesitated. "She might not want you here, JR."

"He can stay," Sue Ellen cut in. No one had seen her come into the kitchen until she spoke. "On the couch," she said firmly, looking JR right in the eyes.

"Alright, honey," JR chuckled. "The couch it is."

"Alright," Bobby stood up and took Pam by the hand. "We'll see you two in the morning."

Pam hugged Sue Ellen. "Call me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Pam," Sue Ellen smiled at her friend, "for everything."

Pam nodded and followed Bobby out of the apartment. "Why do you think she let JR stay?" She asked Bobby once they were out in the hallway.

"She needs him," Bobby told her. "Always has, always will."

"It's a shame those two can't get their act together."

"Yes it is," Bobby agreed. "A damn crying shame."

***

"Here's a pillow and some sheets and blankets," Sue Ellen said, putting the items on the couch. "You should have everything you need."

"Thank you, Sue Ellen," he moved to stand directly in front of him. "And thank you for letting me stay."

"I could hardly say no," she muttered. "After all, you're paying the rent."

"Is that the only reason you let me stay?" He asked her softly.

"Why did you want to?" She deflected.

"Because I need to be close to you, Sue Ellen," he reached out and brushed a stray lock of hair from her face. "Why did you agree?"

"Because I…" she hesitated and swallowed hard. "I guess I need to be close to you too. At least for tonight."

"Just for tonight?"

"I can't think about what's going to happen after tomorrow, JR."

"Alright, honey," he bent his head and placed a soft, gentle kiss on her lips."Goodnight, Sue Ellen. I love you, honey."

"Goodnight, JR."

JR watched her walk into her bedroom and shut the door. She hadn't said that she loved him too, but she was at least accepting his attention.

That had to mean something.

Maybe she could find it in her heart to forgive him after all.

***
 
Last edited:

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Love the talks. As ever wish they could've happened BEFORE the shit hit the fan, but I'm still happy they're talking now.
And I also wish JR had fought harder to protect her ( partly cos he's VERY sexy when he does).
They need some serious therapy though.

Can't wait to see what happens in court.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fifteen:

***

"How was Sue Ellen this morning?"

JR closed his bedroom door and looked up at his brother. "Hard to say. She didn't talk much. She got John Ross ready to go then went to take a shower."

"She's handling all this much better than I ever would have thought she would."

"She's stronger than anyone gives her credit for."

"Yes, she is," Bobby told him. "Pam left early. She wanted to ride to the courthouse with Sue Ellen so she'd be able to support her."

"You know, Bob, I've never had anything good to say about your wife, but I really appreciate the way she's been there for me and Sue Ellen through all this. I won't forget."

"I hope not, JR," Bobby replied evenly. "We could use some peace around here."

"Amen," Lucy came out of her room and walked up to them. "Uncle Bobby, can I ride to the courthouse with you?"

"Sure thing. JR, want to ride with us? I can drop you at Sue Ellen's afterwards if you want."

"Thanks, Bob. Yes. I don't really want to be alone in my car with just my thoughts."

"Great. Well, we'd better get going."

"Just a minute, JR," Ellie called from down the hall. "May I speak with you for a minute?"

"Go ahead," JR told Bobby and Lucy. "I'll meet you outside." He turned and faced his mother, leveling his gaze on her face. "Yes, Mama?"

"About Sue Ellen…"

"If you're going to talk bad about her or tell me I can't bring her home after the trial, save your breath. If you and Daddy make me choose between the two of you or my wife, I choose her."

"No, JR," Ellie sighed heavily. "I was going to tell you that Jock and I talked. We want you to bring her home. And we're sorry for the way we acted. You're finally taking care of your family. We're very proud of you for that."

"Well, don't be too proud, Mama. I don't know if Sue Ellen will be a free woman after the trial or not. I don't know if she wants to be married to me anymore. And today is going to bring you more public humiliation."

"Well. Whatever happens, we'll get through it. Together. As a family, JR."

"Mama…"

"I don't know why you are the way you are. But you're my son. My first born. And I love you. No matter what, JR, your father and I love you."

She reached out her arms to him. He hesitated for only a moment before hugging her tightly.

"I love you too, Mama."

***

"My God, I can't believe the vultures are already here!"

Sue Ellen and Pam had met Kiefer at the courthouse very early, hoping to avoid the press, but they had been waiting for her and had taken pictures and shouted questions.

"Don't worry about them," Kiefer told her. "You ready for today?"

"Yes. I mean I don't actually have to do anything but sit there."

"And be calm. I'm going to notify the judge of our rebuttal witnesses. You two stay here. Be right back."

"Can I do anything for you to make you more comfortable?" Pam asked.

"No, I appreciate the offer, but nothing could make me comfortable right now."

Pam reached out and lightly squeezed Sue Ellen's hand. "Everything is going to be alright."

"Everyone keeps saying that, but I don't see how it can be."

"You didn't mean to shoot him. And Kiefer's defense is brilliant. No jury would convict you."

"Maybe," Sue Ellen shrugged. "Pam.." she hesitated for a few seconds, carefully forming her words, "you saw the phone records. You heard our strategy session. You know…"

"Yes," Pam said softly. "I don't know why Cliff was calling Kristen so much. I pray it's innocent. But if he's mixed up in all this somehow and he's kept silent all the way through the trial? Then he deserves whatever he gets."

Sue Ellen carefully studied her friend's face and then nodded.

"How did things go with JR at your apartment?" Pam changed the subject.

"Nothing happened," Sue Ellen sighed. "He stayed on the couch, true to his word. This morning we had a cup of coffee together then I went to get John Ross ready and took a shower. We didn't talk at all."

"I'm sure he's just giving you some space."

"Is that what he's doing? Pam, you don't know him like I do. Right now, he has a mission. He needs to save me. He's all caught up in the adrenalin. Once it's over…"

"What?"

"He's been so humiliated. Everyone knows his darkest secrets. It will be even worse after today. He hasn't had time to reflect on the damage this trial has done to his reputation. Once it's over he's going to be angry, resentful, and bitter. And he's going to blame me."

"I think you're wrong, Sue Ellen," Pam said earnestly.

"Like I said, Pam, I know him better than you do. Believe me, JR Ewing isn't a man that suffers public ridicule. He's going to make me pay; one way or the other."

***

"Ol' Jordan looks like he might throw up," JR chuckled.

"I don't blame him," Bobby said. "But he'll hold up."

"Here comes Sue Ellen," Lucy pointed as Sue Ellen and her lawyer came into the courtroom and took their seats at the defense table.

"She looks awful," JR said softly.

"Well, she's terrified," Pam told him, suddenly appearing and taking a seat beside Bobby.

"Kiefer has a good plan," JR said.

"Yes, but she's not terrified about the trial, JR. She's afraid you'll hate her afterwards, for all of the embarrassment."

"That's silly," JR growled.

"I think so," Pam smiled at him sweetly, "but after court today, you should tend to your wife and ease her mind over it."

JR started to snap at her and tell her to mind her own business, but when he saw the playful look on her face he simply grinned slightly and nodded. "Yes. I will."

"All rise!"

The judge came in and took his seat behind the bench. "You may be seated. The defense will call it's next witness."

"Thank you," Kiefer stood up. "I call Jordan Lee to the stand."

"Your honor!" The DA shot up out of his chair. "I object to these unannounced witnesses. We haven't had time to prepare as they aren't on any witness list."

"You're honor, these are rebuttal witnesses to the testimony of Miss Sheppard. We're asking for only two new witnesses, Mr. Lee and Detective McSween."

"Neither of whom can rebut Miss Shepherd's testimony as they were not present during the shooting!" The DA broke in.

"Mr. Lee's testimony goes to Miss Sheppard's credibility," Kiefer said. "Mr. McSween's has details of the investigation that haven't come to light yet which directly contradicts what Miss Sheppard testified to on the stand."

"Miss Shepherd's credibility can be challenged by Mr. Ewing and Mr. Barnes. These two new witnesses shouldn't be allowed to testify with no warning to the prosecution."

"Your Honor," Kiefer pleaded, "My client is facing a long prison sentence. Miss Sheppard is her only accuser. We have the right to present evidence to the jury about the trustworthiness of that accuser."

"I agree," the judge said. "The state opened the door to question Miss Sheppard's character once they decided to build their whole case around her testimony. The objection is overruled and Mr. Lee will take the stand."

Kiefer patted Sue Ellen's hand to calm her as Jordan was sworn in and took his seat.

"Mr. Lee, do you know Kristen Sheppard?"

"Yes."

"How well?"

"Too well. She and I are lovers."

A murmur from the crowd broke out causing the judge to bang his gavel.

"How long have you been lovers?"

"Months. A while."

"How did you meet Miss Sheppard?"

"JR Ewing introduced me to her."

"Did you know he was sleeping with her?"

"Not at first. She is his sister-in-law. It never occurred to me there was anything romantic between them."

"When did you find out?"

"A few weeks ago. When she told me she was pregnant. She said JR had forced her to sleep with me so that she could get him information about my business dealings. She said once she'd done it, he'd taken her information and dumped her and left her all alone and penniless."

"How did you react?"

"I felt sorry for her. I was furious with JR."

"Did you confront JR?"

"Of course not. I'm not a stupid man. I wasn't going to get into a confrontation with JR Ewing over a woman."

"Did Kristen tell you who the father of her baby is?"

"She told me I was the father."

Another round of gasps from the spectators interrupted the proceedings. "I will have order!" The judge banged his gavel again. "One more outburst and I'll clear this courtroom!"

"When you heard her testify to this court that JR Ewing was the father of her child, were you surprised?"

"Shocked. She told me that she hadn't slept with him since she and I began our affair."

"Mr. Lee, were you giving money to Miss Sheppard?"

"Yes."

"How much and why?"

"10,000 a month. She said she needed it for bills and for the baby. She said if I didn't pay it, she'd tell the world about our affair and that I seduced her then left her to fend for herself once she got pregnant."

"So she was blackmailing you?"

"Yes."

"So, Miss Sheppard lied to you about why she started seeing you, she lied to you about not being with JR at the same time she was having an affair with you, she lied about you being the baby's father, and then she blackmailed you. Are those all fair statements?"

"Yes."

"Doesn't sound to me like Kristen Sheppard should be trusted."

"I tend to agree."

"No further questions."

"Does the state wish to cross examine?"

"Yes, your honor," the DA stood. "Mr. Lee, you have no direct knowledge of anything directly relating to the shooting of JR Ewing, do you?'

"I do not."

"Are you still seeing Miss Sheppard romantically?"

"Yes."

"Why? If she's such a liar and isn't to be trusted, why are you still seeing her?"

"I like the sex," Jordan shrugged. "I'm paying for it. May as well get it."

"Sounds to me like Miss Sheppard isn't only one with serious character flaws. Nothing further."

"The witness may step down," the judge said. "Call your next witness."

"The defense recalls JR Ewing."

JR stood, walked to the witness box, and sat down. "Mr. Ewing," the judge said to him, "I remind you once again that you're still under oath. And I sincerely hope this is the last time you take the stand in my courtroom."

"You and me both," JR grunted.

The judge chuckled in spite of himself. "Proceed, Mr. Kiefer."

"Mr. Ewing, you heard Mr. Lee's testimony that Kristen told him that you asked him to sleep with him to gather information. Is that true?"

"Yes. It's true."

"Why?"

"We all use what we have," JR grunted. "And all's fair in love, war, and the oil business."

"Did you pressure Miss Sheppard to have sex with Mr. Lee or was she willing?"

"She was more than willing. And she was well compensated."

"By you?"

"Yes by me. Who do you think bought her that fancy apartment and her car? I took care of her financial needs."

"Are you still paying her bills?"

"No. I stopped shortly before the shooting."

"Why? Because of Mr. Lee?"

"No. I didn't even know she was still seeing Jordan. I stopped paying her bills because she was starting to put pressure on me to leave my wife. She threatened to go to my parents and tell them everything if I didn't leave Sue Ellen and marry her."

"But instead of divorcing your wife, you turned your back on Miss Sheppard?"

"Of course. There's no woman I'd leave my wife for. Least of all a lying tramp like Kristen."

"You weren't worried about her exposing you to your parents?"

"Yeah I was. I tried to run her out of town. I knew she was exchanging sexual favors for money, so I reported her to the police for prostitution."

"What happened?"

"Nothing. They investigated. Didn't have enough evidence to file charges."

"Mr. Ewing, you had a long term affair with her, then asked her to sleep with business associates, broke your promise to leave your wife for her, cut off her financial support, and tried to have her charged with prostitution. Is all that accurate?"

"Yes."

"She had quite a motive to shoot you, wouldn't you say?"

"Yes."

The DA shot up out of his chair. "Objection, calls for speculation!"

"Overruled," the judge said. "It's not speculation when any reasonable person would draw the same conclusion. Continue, Mr. Kiefer."

"Mr. Ewing, you said you didn't know that Miss Sheppard was still involved with Mr. Lee."

"I didn't."

"But you have expressed doubt about being the father of her baby. Why is that if you didn't realize she was still in a sexual relationship with Mr. Lee?"

"Two reasons. First off, Kristen has multiple sexual partners. She slept with several of my business associates. She was still sleeping with an old boyfriend - I caught them in bed in a hotel room. And like I said, she was exchanging sex for money. That baby could have been fathered by half a dozen or more men."

"And the second reason?"

JR squirmed a bit and took a deep breath. "My wife and I tried to have a baby for years. In the early days of our marriage, we tried like crazy. But she never got pregnant. I began to suspect one of us was sterile. When she told me she was pregnant with John Ross, well I knew she was having an affair and she and I weren't...well, we weren't having...we weren't sleeping together very often."

"You suspected the child might not be yours?"

"Yes. God forgive me. I went to see my doctor. He told me…"

"I know this is difficult, Mr. Ewing. Please go on."

"I have a very low sperm count. It's not impossible for me to father a child. I fathered John Ross. But it's very unlikely. I also used protection with Kristen. Every single time. Out of all her lovers, I am the least likely to be the father of that child."

"Why do you think she accused you?"

"Money," JR shrugged. "That's all she cares about."

"So she lied about you fathering her child for financial gain?"

"Absolutely."

"Thank you, Mr. Ewing. Nothing further."

"Cross examination?" The judge asked the DA.

"No, your honor. Mr. Ewing has testified three times and each time he has given the jury every reason to doubt his honesty. I have no further use for him."

"The defense will call its next witness."

"Thank you, your honor. I recall Cliff Barnes."

The quiet of the courtroom was shattered when the door opened. Kiefer turned around and saw McSween come in. McSween nodded at him and made a gesture with his hands.

"Excuse me, your honor. May I have a brief recess?"

"Very brief," the judge told him. "Ten minute recess."

McSween strode fully into the courtroom to the defense table. "We got her," he said, putting a file on the table. "We really have her."

***

"You may have been saved by the bell."

Cliff jumped a little, startled by the voice. "Hi, Pam," he smiled when he saw his sister.

"Cliff, why is your phone number all over Kristen's phone records?"

"Huh?"

"You heard me."

"Oh. Well. We're kind of friendly."

"Friendly how?"

"I'm not sleeping with her," Cliff said defensively. "I didn't bake that bun in her oven."

"Then why so many calls to her apartment?"

"Commiserating. She hates JR, I hate JR. We have a lot in common."

"Cliff, she's lying and trying to get Sue Ellen thrown in prison!"

"How do you know she's lying, Pam?"

"Sue Ellen remembered everything, Cliff. I hope you're not involved in Kristen's schemes because if you are, JR will finally destroy you. And I won't lift a finger to help you. If you have something to confess, your best chance is to confess it to me right now."

"You're paranoid, Pam. I don't have a damn thing to do with shooting JR or scheming with Kristen to blame Sue Ellen."

"I don't believe you."

"Well, Pam, as far as I can see that's your problem. Not mine."

***

"Sue Ellen," Kiefer whispered, "stop fidgeting."

Sue Ellen jumped a little and guiltily looked away. "Sorry."

Kiefer patted her hand. "It's almost over."

"All rise!" The judge took his seat and waged for everyone else to sit down. "Mr. Kiefer, is Cliff Barnes your next witness?"

"No, your honor. I call Detective Harry McSween to the stand. I do reserve the right to recall Mr. Barnes if necessary."

"Proceed." McSween was sworn in and took his seat.

"Mr. McSween," Kiefer began, "were you originally assigned to work the Ewing shooting?"

"No. I was off duty when the call came in. The next day, my Captain decided not to assign me to the case because of my personal relationship with Mr. Ewing."

"What personal relationship?"

"We're friendly. My niece is his secretary. I've done some private work while I was off duty for him."

"What kind of work?"

"Mostly investigating the background of potential business associates."

"Mostly?"

"I've done some work involving his personal life. He had me investigate his wife once because he thought she was having an affair."

"Was she?"

"Yes. With Cliff Barnes."

"I see. Well, how did you get involved in investigating the shooting."

"The lead detective on the case knew I was familiar with JR and his family. He asked me for some background information."

"What did you tell him?"

"That JR's wife had an affair once, that she had a drinking problem, and that they had a very bad marriage."

"Did you give him any information about anyone else who may have had a motive to shoot Me. Ewing?"

"Yes. But he wasn't interested."

"Why?"

"I don't know for sure. But it seemed to me like he focused in on Mrs. Ewing as a suspect and didn't even bother to check out anyone else."

"Was that the end of your involvement in the case?"

"Until two days ago, yes."

"What happened two days ago?"

"JR called me and asked me to help you get some search warrants."

"I see. And you did as JR asked just because he asked you to do it?"

"I did not," McSween huffed indignantly. "I called you and asked you what your theory was. Once it became clear to me that your theory was based in fact, I contacted the lead detective and we decided together to get the requested warrants."

"What warrants?"

"One for Kristen Sheppard's medical records, one for her phone records, one for her financial records, and one to search her apartment. We also pulled all the camera footage from close to the Ewing building on the night of the shooting and went over it again."

"Okay, let's take each thing at a time. Why did you want her medical records?"

"To confirm she was pregnant."

"Is she?"

"Yes."

"What did Miss Sheppard's phone records tell you?"

"She was talking to four men several times a week. We cross referenced those calls with her bank records."

"And what did you find?"

"Three of those men were paying her ten thousand dollars a month."

"Who were those men?"

"Jordan Lee. Frank Beaumont. Gary Lawson."

"We know who Jordan Lee is. Who are the other two?

"Beaumont owns dozens of gas stations in Texas and Oklahoma. Lawson is the lead lawyer at West Star Oil in the contracts division."

"Did you ask these three men why they were paying her ten grand a month?"

"Yes. She told them all they had fathered her child and was threatening to go public if they didn't pay her."

"So she was blackmailing them all?"

"Yes."

"Who was the fourth man she was speaking to frequently? The one who wasn't paying her?"

"Cliff Barnes."

"The same Cliff Barnes who had an affair with Mrs. Ewing and is a blood enemy of JR Ewing?"

"Yes."

"Did you question him?"

"Yes. He said he and Kristen were friends. He was adamant they were not having a sexual relationship."

"Alright, what did you find when you reexamined the camera footage from the night of the shooting?"

"We confirmed that Mrs. Ewing's car wasn't recorded on any camera in the area on that night. We also found no evidence that Barnes' car was in the vicinity."

"Did you find any evidence that anyone connected to this case was at the Ewing building that night?"

"Yes."

"Who?"

"We found Miss Sheppard's car on three different cameras driving toward the Ewing building that night and then on those same three cameras driving away less than a quarter of an hour later."

The crowd erupted and the judge banged his gavel. "Order!"

"Your honor, I'd like to submit these time stamped photos of Miss Sheppard's car close to the Ewing building as defense exhibit C."

"So ordered."

"Now, Detective McSween, you said you searched Miss Sheppard's apartment. Did you find anything of note?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"A pair of leather gloves covered in gunpowder residue."

"Why is that significant?"

"We questioned Mrs. Ewing. She remembered being at Miss Sheppard's apartment on the night of the shooting. She specifically remembered that Miss Sheppard was wearing a pair of black leather gloves."

The crowd gasped again. The judge didn't even bother to try to get them under control.

"Detective McSween, in your professional opinion, who shot JR Ewing?"

"All the evidence points directly at Kristen Sheppard."

"Thank you. Nothing further."

"Does the state wish to cross examine?"

"Absolutely," the DA stood. "Detective McSween, you've testified that you and Mr. Ewing have a personal relationship. Isn't it a well known fact that you have a reputation as being Mr. Ewing's personal enforcer on the Dallas Police Force? In fact, you can be bought to manipulate evidence for the highest bid, correct? And you will bend the law anyway you see fit to please your employer!'

"I have a long, exemplary career with the Dallas PD. I have been steadily promoted through the ranks and consistently rewarded for my outstanding service. So, no, Sir. I am not anyone's personal enforcer and I don't bend the law."

"You claim the evidence points to Miss Sheppard. But isn't it possible that Mrs. Ewing lied about the gloves? That she drove her sister's car to Ewing Oil? That she wore the gloves that night when she shot JR and then lied that they belonged to Kristen?

"Anything is possible. But that doesn't make a bit of sense."

"Why not?"

"If Mrs. Ewing was wearing gloves, why were her fingerprints on the gun?"

"It was in her closet! She could have touched that gun at any time!"

"Exactly. But she wouldn't have worn gloves to fire a gun that already had her prints on them, would she?"

"She would if she were trying to frame her sister!"

"Whatever you say," McSween rolled his eyes.

"You're nothing more than a corrupt cop who is framing an innocent woman at the behest of JR Ewing!"

"Objection, your honor!"

"Sustained! The last statement from the DA will be struck from the record."

"Nothing further," the DA grumbled and sat down.

"This court will stand on recess until tomorrow morning at 9 a.m."

"What just happened?" Sue Ellen whispered shakily. "Was that good or bad for us?"

"That," Kiefer grinned, "was OUTSTANDING for us. McSween did everything we needed him to and more. The DA totally lost control and looked desperate. And you know what Sue Ellen?"

"What?"

"I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be even better for us."

***
 
Top