VIDEO: Trailer

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
But the trailers didn't encourage them.
Despite the trailer been a letdown, I'm still looking forward to the series. I'm not connected to the original like the fans on here. Having only watched the series once, I won't be as savvy as the rest. I absolutely adore WENTWORTH which is a re-imagined version of on old favourite of mine, so I know it can work.
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Again, most of us knew what to expect with this project, and the trailer matched it precisely.

What oldDYNASTY was based on, at least intially, is now something most people don't remember; it was a post-war throwback to the aspirations of the 1950s, where concepts of "class" didn't just mean money and clothes, but taste and bearing. Or the pretensions of such.

A lot of that was bull$h!t, naturally, and the show itself quickly went for a strictly clothes-and-cash motif where genuine class and taste were anathema. In other words: it became crap, about people who were crap, in a story crappily told.

Nevertheless, the ambitions of the tastefully grand pilot movie from 1980, and the early casting, kept in mind (for some of us) what oldDYNASTY was once tied to.

In the modern era, the vulgarization of the culture (not a priggish phrase, just descriptive) which "the kids" have grown up with over the last several decades, where the most grisly bodily functions are discussed with great artless hilarity thru the media, and video footage of mass murders are available with the click of a button, and women dressed in gold lamé gowns tossing over glass tables and throwing champagne flutes while screaming, "You stay away from MF man, you GD MF!!" (which I realize is very, very 2012) populate an endless slew of reality shows, seems to leave little or no room for subtlety.

But as others have pointed out, shows like GAME OF THRONES have proven yet again that you don't need to scream at the audience as loudly or as rapidly as possible in order to get them and keep them. But as long as there are Hollywood executives who insist something has to be done a certain way in order to guarantee contemporary "commerciality" (and there always will be) we're stuck with nearly all the product following those guidelines.

They say in Hollywood, no one knows anything. But that the executives know less than anybody else. And one assumes there's a lot of truth to that.

Matthew Weiner said that when he was shopping around MAD MEN to the various cable netwoks, some of them got visibly angry at him that he even had the pretense or ambition of doing something "good" that wasn't cut to a trite, predictable pattern. And he only finally sold the concept of MAD MEN to AMC because they hadn't produced their own series content before, and had fewer preconceptions of what you "have to do" to make the show a success.

Anyway, when even the oldDYNASTY quickly betrayed its promise and dished out only clothes and catfights and crass cash, how can we expect the new version to be above that? OldDYNASTY was only briefly connected to "old rich" concepts and quickly went nouveau riche to an absolute fault. Only that casting served to continue to hint at something better, even after the writing and the static acting directive effectively neutralized the effect of that casting.

The nuDYNASTY appears to have the same faults, only in keeping with modern ideas about speed and intensity. And with no sense of the casting of the original, because the present culture doesn't even know what that sensibility is -- they don't know what it means or what it represents or represented.

And we can't really blame them for that, even if we kinda do.

How can we demand that nuDYNASTY not make the mistakes of this era when oldDYNASTY made the mistakes of its era (i.e., '80s cheezy, synthesized style over substance and self-consciously unconvincing self-importance)?

But I'll watch the pilot. And once I tune out of nuDYNASTY, it won't be because it doesn't measure up to the profound flaws of the original show (much less its strengths) but because the new show will likely be so generic that it won't keep my interest... Yet lurid curiosity compels I'll give it a chance.

dynastycast-1-80s-actors.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
And with no sense of the casting of the original
But what if this version, including its cast, is exactly how they want it to be? What if they're not being clueless at all?

Was it ever officially stated by the CW that this is going to be a tribute to the atmospheric-cinematic original?

It's their project, not ours, so if this show turns out be generic drab, they will suffer the consequences.

I, for one, am just going to sit back and watch, and let them do their thing, and it's the whole "What If" thing that excites me.
We already know that some of the characters are different (what if Sammy Jo was a guy? Hey look, this time it is a guy!) and I'm curious what else is going to be different, and how many references to the original story they'll do.

50% of this DYNASTY forum is all about the "What If's" - in most cases, much better than what actually happened, so it will never live up to those expectations.
But this is real, a real new DYNASTY series, not just fanfiction. And apparently it's going to be a whole new ballgame!
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
But as others have pointed out, shows like GAME OF THRONES have proven yet again that you don't need to scream at the audience as loudly or as rapidly as possible in order to get them and keep them.

I'll add Downton Abbey as another example. Okay, so the show was based in a more civilized world of the early 1900's and people acted accordingly. It does prove though, as you so eloquently put it, "you don't need to scream at the audience."

I thoroughly enjoyed the pacing in season 1 of Dynasty. I also enjoyed the addition of Alexis. I'll never forget the pinpoint delivery between Alexis (Joan) and Krystle (Linda) at the Carrington mansion for the first time. And when Alexis fires off that shotgun causing the death of Krystle's baby, well, that just sent chills down my spine. This mysterious woman was lethal, not even JR went that far. His actions forced others to change their behavior and act out accordingly but what Alexis did had intent.

If only the writers had stuck with the script. When I now watch that first catfight between Alexis and Krystle I sense the ridiculous creeping into Dynasty. From the unsuited music, weak stitching in the pillows and clothing to Joan refusing to perform most of the scenes. This long awaited scene should have been played straight, I mean real drama between these characters. Instead it looks like its been played for laughs.

it was a post-war throwback to the aspirations of the 1950s, where concepts of "class" didn't just mean money and clothes, but taste and bearing.

Rather than this bland Dynasty 2.0 I'd have much preferred if they produced the new series set in the 1950's. A prequel I believe could have worked in today's television landscape as a point of difference to all the other grayness they call riveting television. After watching the CW Trailer I see no contrast to watching an episode of Days of our Lives or The Young and the Restless.

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much...anyway I wish Dynasty 2.0 all the best but I won't be watching.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
After watching the CW Trailer I see no contrast to watching an episode of Days of our Lives or The Young and the Restless.
Well the main difference would be that Days of our Lives and The Young and Restless would mostly be playing it straight.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Well like I said the first season of Revenge was quite good quality and still very soapy. ABC have done a few good shows over the last ten or so years. It's probably been the soapiest network hasn't it?

Isn't Grey's Anatomy a soap? And as a soap it is one of the best and most consistent
 

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
Oh, what did anyone expect?

I mean, it was always going to be more Titans than Dynasty. The Models, Inc rather than Melrose Place. It's going to kill my braincells and I'm going to rant and rant and rant and rant and rant and rant, but meh. No big deal. It's what I knew it would be.
 

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
Also, with Dynasty being so Reagan-esque, maybe with the Tacky Trumps in the White House this'll work? Like let Cristal gold plate everything!
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Also, with Dynasty being so Reagan-esque, maybe with the Tacky Trumps in the White House this'll work? Like let Cristal gold plate everything!
I believe I alluded to this in another post. If memory serves me correct I suggested something along the lines of Dynasty 2.0 being based in New York and the character of Cristal coming from that rust belt that put the Trumps into the White House. I'm not indicating Cristal is some hick. She is educated but when thrust into the world that is the Carrington family she is completely out of her depth. This would have given those Trump supporters someone to root for. But from the CW trailer I don't like the new version (Cristal) at all.
 

JROG

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I've had an epiphany. At least 70% of original DYNASTY was trash, so it doesn't matter if DYNASTY 2017 is trash too. In that regard, they'd be alike!

BRING ON THE TRASH.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
At least 70% of original DYNASTY was trash
I think a lot of it was badly produced, disappointing and unsatisfactory. The ideas, hints and possibilities were anything but rubbish, especially with that cast and story background.
The golden goose became a sitting duck, and nobody really understands why.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
I think a lot of it was badly produced, disappointing and unsatisfactory. The ideas, hints and possibilities were anything but rubbish, especially with that cast and story background.
The golden goose became a sitting duck, and nobody really understands why.

As far as SHE (and her ducks) are not behind this re-boot too...


upload_2017-5-26_1-37-25.png​
 
Top