Dallas in the 90's

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Cute update Karin!:) I am so happy that Clayton and Miss Ellie are back home from their vacation and that they have finally met their newest grandchild Rebecca. :)
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you so much for the feedback. :)

Honkytonkangel, I'm glad you loved Rebecca's reaction to meeting her grandma.
Then as for Sue Ellen, I think the reason she doesn't want to divorce Don is because he's her escape route from JR. Deep down she knows she still loves him so without Don standing in their way...

Sanda, I'm glad you enjoyed Miss Ellie & Clayton's homecoming as well. :)

Now it's time for another meeting...



Fortunately Cliff didn’t have to wait long. Only three days after his failed attempt to see Afton and little Pamela the call he’d been expecting finally came. Cliff was so eager to go see them that he didn’t let Mr. Johnson finish this time either. He just dropped everything and stormed out of his office and drove over to 12798 West Part Ridge. He parked the car outside of the brown townhouse and walked up and rang the doorbell. Then he waited and as he did so he could feel himself getting nervous again. So what do I tell Afton? Cliff pondered, as he didn’t have the slightest idea of how to make her listen to him. But as it turned out he didn’t even have to worry because once the door finally opened it was not Afton who was standing there but a 10 year old girl. The girl had blonde hair, was quite tall for her age and was really pretty. Feeling tongue-tied for a moment Cliff realized that this must be his daughter. Wow! They certainly don’t joke when they say that kids grows like weed, Cliff reflected to himself, as he tried to comprehend that this beautiful little girl was the same child he had met briefly six years ago.

“Hi there!” Cliff smiled. “You must be Pamela Rebecca!” Cliff extended his hand to the girl, who refused to take it, as she viewed him suspiciously.

“Who are you?” The child asked, as she tried to close the door. “And what do you want?”

“Oh I’m sorry where’s my head. I’m Cliff Barnes and I’m looking for your mother, is she in?” Cliff hurried to explain himself, as he started to feel more and more nervous as this was obviously not working out like he had expected it to.

“No and I’m not supposed to talk to strangers. She should be back later tonight though.”

“Okay good then I think I’ll just wait with you until she shows up, if that’s okay with your baby-sitter that is?”

The girl rolled her eyes as she said, “I don’t need a baby-sitter. I’m 10 years old, you know?”

“Oh right you’re 10 years old. Kids I gotta say you all grow up so fast these days. You know I have a little nephew that’s gonna be 14 in a few weeks.”

“Nice then he’s almost in High School,” she smiled.

“Exactly so well as you can see I have a little experience with kids and I promise I’m not dangerous. So now do you think I can wait inside until Afton gets back?”

“I don’t know…” She looked doubting.

“Please Pamela Rebecca, like I said I know your mother…and isn’t it terribly boring to be all alone at home?”

“No I play video games so that’s okay,” Pamela Rebecca replied before pointing out, “Besides no one calls me Pamela Rebecca anymore, I go by Becky nowadays.”

“Becky?” Cliff asked.

“Yes it’s short for Rebecca and I like to be called Becky,” Becky replied.

So another Becky Barnes huh? Cliff couldn’t hide a smile, just like my mother… The smile on his face got wider before he said, “I like Becky too.”

“Thanks but I think you’ll better go now…”

“But…” Cliff tried to think quickly to come up with a way to win his daughter over. Then he said, “Didn’t you say that you were playing video games?”

“Yes.”

“Well good, I have played a lot of video games in my days and it’s really most fun when you are two that plays so I’ll challenge you. Winner gets to do all of your chores for tonight.”

“Hmm…” Becky hesitated for a moment as she thought it over. It’s a good deal, as he have nothing to win from it as it’s my chores and I bet I can beat him easily… Becky’s face finally lit up in a smile. “Okay you’re on,” she smiled and Cliff smiled back, thinking that he could see a little bit of himself in his daughter’s smile. Becky then let Cliff into the apartment and he was happy that he had finally found a way to get through to her…
 

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
Hi Everyone!

After many years of reading all the other talented writers fanfics on this board I've finally decided to share my first and only Dallas story with you all. :)

This is a story that I originally began writing back in 1994 together with my sister since we didn't like the ending of the original Dallas and wanted to write a better ending. But somehow we kept writing on this story for 20 years and eventually we made some changes and added new scenes to older episodes as we began typing it into the computer a couple of years ago.

This story is very special to us and we have decided to only post it here, so it will be exclusive to this posting board community. We hope you will respect our wishes and not repost our story anywhere else.

The story picks up 4 years after the original Dallas ended and everything that happened on the show is canon. But the reunion movies and Dallas TNT series never happened in this story. So you can consider this an alternative universe of what could have happened after the original Dallas. I hope you will enjoy reading this. :)

Oh and feedback is always appreciated.

Enough said, so let's move on to the story,

Take care,
Love:
Karin.

View attachment 704

May 1995. Dallas, Texas, USA.



JR Ewing was an old fashioned Texan, a man who did whatever it took to protect his family, even if it meant taking the law into his own hands. He had been a powerful business man most of his life and he radiated an aura of power. He was quite successful too, even though some of his business methods were questionable. Yet he always excused every bad thing he did with that it was for the good of Ewing Oil, a company his father had built up and that his son one day would inherit. When he was younger he’d done everything he could to make his daddy proud of him in an attempt to earn his love and respect. In his need of his father’s approval he’d been greedy and hungry for power and success. After his father’s death he’d done everything he could to preserve the legacy for his son. In those days people used to fear him, as he could be ruthless, never caring who got hurt as long as he got what he wanted. Now however at age 56, the years had softened him some. His hair was grey and he’d lost some weight. But the main change wasn’t in his appearance but on the inside, as losing everything had forced JR to take one good hard look at his life.

Now when he knew the prize he’d paid for putting business first, he knew that some of the things he’d done in his past had been wrong. He was still an ambitious man who could be manipulative and selfish. Yet underneath his self-confident surface he could also be vulnerable and even insecure at heart. He could be brooding at times and he did have some regrets. Most of all he regretted having let the people he loved slip right through his fingers, since without his family his success in business didn’t mean much. So age had made him wiser in a sense. Not that he’d ever been dumb, as JR was an intelligent man who knew how to use his charm, wit, charisma and persuasive powers to get exactly what he wanted. He had a sharp tongue too and he could persuade pretty much any woman he set his eyes on to go to bed with him. Over the years he’d bedded so many women that he’d lost count of them. Yet they didn’t mean anything to him, as it was the chase that was important to JR. Once he’d had a woman he soon lost interest in her. Of course there had been one notable exception to that rule, as there was one woman who he had truly loved and lost.

JR looked around the busy room of the TV-studio, his blue eyes taking in the sight of the cameramen sitting behind their cameras, the microphones being rigged from the roof and the crewmembers running around trying to get the last minute details in order. Meanwhile he sat back comfortable in his armchair and threw a glance towards Roy Ralston, the TV-reporter who was going to interview him about Ewing Oil’s big oil strike in the middle east in a couple of minutes. Sitting here now, JR couldn’t help but remembering the last time when he’d been here. It was about 13 years ago and the only difference was that back then he’d still had his beautiful wife by his side. Thinking about Sue Ellen now he couldn’t help but smile a little, they had been pretty much newlyweds for the second time when that interview had taken place and he’d really wanted their marriage to work. But then of course he’d screwed everything up as he usually did with her. So sitting here now thinking of her and their 16 year old son, John Ross Ewing III who was all the way over in England, he couldn’t help but feeling a bit sad. Yet he didn’t really get that much time to think of the near and dear ones that had slipped through his fingers, as now the red lights went on, as the cameras started rolling and Roy started talking.

“Good morning Texas, this is Roy Ralston, live from Dallas. With me today in the studio is oil magnet Mr. JR Ewing who is here to talk about some of the hardships of his life,” Roy paused briefly and JR made a face, as he didn’t like the sound of the last sentence. Oh-uh, doesn’t sound like he’s interested in the oil, JR reflected and surely enough as Roy went on it became very obvious to JR what the man really wanted to talk about. “Mr. Ewing, what was it that made you try to commit suicide 4 years ago?” Roy asked bluntly.

JR had to grit his teeth very hard not to scream in annoyance, as this so wasn’t what he wanted to spend his morning talking about. Oh the fucking son of a bitch has double crossed me. His mistake, I’ll make sure to make him pay for it. No one messes with JR Ewing... The thoughts rushed through his head and yet he never showed it, as he was a man who certainly knew how to keep a poker face.

“Well there were many reasons...” he started off saying, dodging the question before the thought of Sue Ellen and John Ross, suddenly prompted him to start reminisce. “I guess I was depressed and had had a bit too much to drink. I felt like everyone had abandoned me and that I didn’t have that much left to live for, no wife, no sons and Cliff Barnes had taken over my Daddy’s company. So I guess you could say that I was just at an ultimate low where my world had crumbled...” JR explained, quite surprised at his own statement, as he’d never expected himself to be so honest. “I guess I was just thinking too much about my past and the people...” JR suddenly stopped mid-sentence as he’d realized that this so wasn’t what he was supposed to talk about and especially not on TV. So therefore he just finished with his best grin. “And well I really don’t remember anything more. In fact that whole night is mostly just a blur so...”

“Oh come on Mr. Ewing, I surely do believe you remember more...”

“Well Roy, even if I did what makes you think I would wanna share it with you?” JR threw the man an annoyed glance. “Unlike you I happen to think that people today deserves a little respect and privacy...” he said, which earned him some applauds from the audience.

“Okay, so let’s talk about your business instead, because I assume Cliff Barnes doesn’t own your daddy’s company anymore?” Roy who knew he was beaten quickly changed the subject.

“Hell no!” JR shook his head. “My brother Bobby and I took back the company about two years ago, so Ewing Oil is back where it belongs, in the safe hands of us Ewings. Because let me tell you this, no one double crosses old JR and gets away with it,” he looked straight at Roy when he said it and knowing he’d brought the man there with false premises Roy could feel himself starting to get nervous. Because it was certain that the other man wasn’t just giving empty threats. No if JR Ewing threatened someone he did mean business.

“Well that’s good to know,” Roy laughed nervously, “which reminds me of the real reason I brought you here, to congratulate you on that big oil strike in the Middle East.”

“Well thank you Roy,” JR smiled, as he sized the other man up, trying to make up his mind as to whether he was worth going after or not. “That oil strike sure is good for Ewing Oil, it’s one of the biggest strikes in the Saudi Arabia and it will give us lots of new crude to refine.”

“That’s good to hear, so what does this oil mean for the average American?” Roy asked. “I know in the past Ewing Oil has been known to reduce the prize of gasoline, so any plans to do this again?”

“At the time no, still you’ve got one thing right, Ewing Oil does care for the little man and we do try our best to look after our employees,” JR grinned and Roy nodded like a fool. “In fact I think that’s our contribution to the Texans right now, to keep people employed.”

“Yeah employment is a good thing,” Roy agreed.

“Yeah and speaking of which, I do have an oil company to run. So as much as I’d love to stay and chat with you I need to get back to the office. We have a ton of work to do, and especially today with Bobby away on that business trip,” JR quickly finished the conversation and Roy concluded the segment by saying;

“And there we saw Mr. JR Ewing, now if you’ll stay tuned over our commercial break and we’ll be right back with a country music star that you surely don’t want to miss! Later.” Roy finished and JR then shook hands with the man and then decided not to go after the sleazy TV reporter after all before he left the studio with memories of Sue Ellen and John Ross still lingering on his mind...

If only that'd been the follow up to Dallas back in the day. The movies weren't so good and your commentary and scene seemed to get us back to what Dallas had been before things go out of control.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback. :)

Steve, I'm glad you're reading my story too now and that you think it's a good follow up to original Dallas. I take it as a big compliment coming from you. :)
Your Dallas 2018 story is a really good follow up to Dallas TNT too. You've done a good job at cleaning up the mess Cidre left us with in that one...
I really loved "JR Returns" but not "War of the Ewings" so yes me too wish this could have happened instead...

Sanda, you'll find out how Afton will react soon, but first we have the second half of the family dinner...



Back at Southfork, half an hour later had Pam and Bobby finally started to reach the end of their story about how they’d met again. Pam said, “And then after we’d decided that we were all gonna come back here for a visit I brought Bobby over to my place so that he could get to meet Rebecca…”

“Yeah you should have seen her when we got there, she was out in the backyard swinging away and when she came over to me and hugged me and looked up at me with those little hazel eyes I just knew that she had to be mine,” Bobby said emotionally.

Miss Ellie discretely wiped away a tear from her eye, “Ah this is just too much. I’m so happy for you both. I know how long you’ve always wanted another child and…” Miss Ellie took one good look at Rebecca. “I’m overwhelmed, I mean to come home and find another grandchild is not something you’d do every day and…”

“But Mama!” JR interrupted his mother. “You come home and find a new grandchild and you’ll take one look at the kid and you believe it?” JR asked. “Isn’t that a little gullible?”

“JR, I don’t understand the accusation,” Miss Ellie tried to overlook what her son was implying.

“What I meant was how can we be sure that child really is Bobby & Pam’s daughter?” JR asked. “For all we know Pam could have just taken the first best kid off a street and…”

“Watch it JR!” Bobby stood up angrily.

“Oops! Looks like I just stepped all over baby-brother’s toes. Why is that Bobby?” JR mocked his little brother. “Is it because deep down you know that I can be right?”

“JR you’d better watch your damn mouth, as I am damn tired of all your wisecrack…”

“It’s not wisecrack! I am just saying the truth and you can’t blame me for being suspicious, since with that Barnes woman’s track record…even if the child happens to be hers. Who’s to say that it’s yours?” JR challenged Bobby. “Remember how she carried on with that Mark Graison even before you were divorced I bet she hasn’t exactly lived like a nun when you were apart this time either and…”

Bobby had finally had enough and grabbed JR’s shirt collar, “You shut your bloody mouth! You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about!” Bobby hissed, as hearing JR mentioning Pam with other men made him see red. He was just beyond himself with anger and jealousy.

Seeing the hateful look in Bobby’s eyes even JR knew that he had overstepped the line. “Let go of me Bob! I was just…”

“No not until you’ll get what you deserve!” Bobby yelled.

He was just about to hit JR when Miss Ellie yelled, “Stop it!”

Their mother’s scream didn’t stop Bobby, but it did give JR enough time to dodge his brother’s punch and weasel himself out of Bobby’s grip. Furious with him Bobby quickly grabbed his arm and was just about to launch another punch when Clayton and Ray pulled them away from each other, “Now take it easy boys,” Clayton told them to cool it.

“But JR said…” Bobby protested.

“I know what he said but your mother has just returned from her vacation and she deserves better than to have the two of you at each other’s throats on our first family dinner together in ages,” Clayton said.

The boys exchanged a look before turning their attention to their mother. “Sorry mama,” JR apologized.

“Yeah I’m sorry too,” Bobby also apologized.

“Good, then why don’t we sit down and finish our dinner?” Miss Ellie suggested before going on, “and JR you’ll better keep your snide remarks to yourself from now on and if you have to speak up. Choose your timing, since it’s really bad taste to attack someone like you did Pam, in front of her children…” Miss Ellie lectured her son.

JR hung his head low, knowing that he was beaten. “Yes Mama…I’m sorry Christopher that you had to see that…” JR then apologized to his nephew. But on purpose he didn’t say a word to Rebecca and no one wanted to force him to. Rebecca however crossed her arms in front of her chest and quickly made up her mind that her uncle JR was just as bad news as her mom had always told her and one day she was going to make him pay for it…
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you Silvie. I'm glad that you think my story keeps getting better and better. :)

Here's another update:



Back at Afton & Becky’s townhouse. The laughter could be heard a long way, as Cliff and Becky obviously had a good time playing video games. “Yes! My win again!” Becky screamed excitedly, “You lost our bet so prepare yourself to do the dishes!” Becky grinned towards Cliff when his little Super Mario man once again missed a jump and fell down a high steep.

“Yeah, yeah, seems like. I guess I must have forgotten more than I thought…”

“You can say that again, you’ve lost ten times in a row now,” Becky giggled delighted, before adding, “You really haven’t played lately now have you?”

“Okay you’ve got me,” Cliff admitted. “I haven’t practiced in a long time. Still I thought it was like learning how to ride a bike. You know once you’ve learnt it…”

“You’ll never forget it?” Becky finished his sentence. “Nah this is video games and it’s way harder than riding a bike, as they invent new games all the time and for every new game you need to practice to make perfect.”

“I’ve noticed,” Cliff muttered. Sure he had expected her to win their bet. But he hadn’t expected to suck just this much on videogames.

“So now tell me how long has it been since you’ve last played?”

“Honest?”

“Yeah,” Becky nodded.

“Um…I don’t know for sure but I think that it was around 11 years ago.”

“11 years?” Becky exclaimed. “But that’s a lifetime!”

“I know it must seem that way to you. Still it doesn’t seem that long ago to me, as I remember it all like it was yesterday. You’ll see back then it used to be me, Pam, that was my sister, her boyfriend Mark and…”

Cliff was just about to tell Becky that her mother used to be a part of the group when Becky suddenly interrupted him, “Was?” Becky pondered. “Why was?” Becky asked. “Is your sister dead?”

“No she’s not but…” Cliff shook his head before sighing heavily. “It’s complicated…I’ll tell you all about her some other time, since well you deserve to know all about the woman you’re named after.”

“The woman I’m named after?” Becky asked. “You mean my mom used to know your sister?”

“Yes they knew each other well…”

“Cool.”

“I’m glad you think so.”

“So how did they know each other?”

“Well considering the fact that I used to date your mom back then I’d…” Cliff didn’t even get further before Becky interrupted him again.

“Wow! You used to date my mom?” Becky’s eyes got wide with surprise, but also with excitement. Since she liked Cliff and knowing that he was together with her mom before she was born, she was hoping that he might know something about her dad.

“Yes sure did,” Cliff confirmed with a smile.

“That’s so cool, so does that mean that…you um…know anything about my dad?” Becky wondered hopefully.

Cliff gave her a weird glance, “About your dad?”

“Yeah I know it must sound like a strange request. It’s just that mom never talks about him and I was sort of hoping that you’d know something…”

“Well I do know something…”

“So did you know him?”

“Yeah but you know Becky this is a conversation you ought to have with your mother…”

“I’ve tried to but she won’t say a thing, please Cliff can’t you tell me something about him?” Becky asked pleadingly. “What’s he like?”

“Um…well he used to be sort of stupid…”

“Stupid?” Becky echoed before shaking her head, “No way I won’t buy that, not my dad.”

“Yes Becky he was stupid, since he put his career before your mom, causing her to leave him before he even found out about you…”

“Oh well, yeah that’s stupid…” Becky agreed. “Still you said used to be, so what’s he like now…”

“Well now he knows better but he’s still pretty lousy at video games apparently,” Cliff gave Becky his best smile.

Becky’s eyes went wide as realization dawned on her. “You’re my dad?” She exclaimed happily. “Are you telling me that you’re my father?”

“Yes,” Cliff nodded proudly and daughter and father embraced each other in a hug when the door suddenly opened and Afton arrived on the scene just in time to see them.

“Cliff?” Afton’s face paled, as she recognized their houseguest. “What are you doing here?” She panicked. “How did you find us?” Afton asked in a shrill voice, but Cliff didn’t even have the chance to answer before Becky started talking.

“Guess what mom?” Becky exclaimed happily. “Cliff tells me that he’s my dad!”

Hearing that and looking from Cliff’s smiling face to Becky’s smiling face Afton could feel her whole world start to spin. Oh no! This isn’t happening. Why oh why did he have to find us? And why did he tell Becky? He had no right to and…does this mean he’s gonna be in our lives now? What if Becky wanna see him? Or worse live with him instead of me? The thoughts whirled around in Afton’s mind and just the mere idea of that Cliff would want to take her daughter away from her made her feel dizzy. It finally became too much for Afton and her legs pulled out from underneath her, as she passed out.

Seeing her mother collapse Becky jumped up, screaming worriedly, “MOM!”

“Afton!” Cliff yelled and the two of them ran over to Afton.

“Mom wake up! Mom wake up!” Becky started crying almost hysterically, as she touched her mother’s cheek.

“Becky calm down!” Cliff tried to tell her.

“Calm down?” Becky cried. “I can’t calm down, it’s something wrong with my mom, what if she dies?”

“No, no Becky your mother won’t die. She has just passed out,” Cliff replied rationally. “Now if you could help me move her to the couch I’m sure she’ll come to soon,” Cliff then told Becky, who reluctantly did as she was told and then a worried Cliff and Becky sat down by Afton’s side waiting for her to wake up…
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Kinda sweet to see Cliff playing video games with his daughter, but he didn't have the right to tell Becky who he was, but Afton should've.
It's typical of both of them to only think about what they want as usual.
Becky should run away and take her chances in the wild and leave them to screw up their own lives and not hers LOL.
Can't wait to see what happens next.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback Honkytonkangel. :)
You are right that Cliff and Afton are being selfish as usual. Also I agree that Afton should have told her. But she hasn't so you can't blame the child for being curious. She sort of put Cliff on the spot there. Anyway you'll find out what happens when Afton wakes up soon.
But before then back to Southfork for our next update...


After supper the Ewing family sat down in the living room to talk a little. At first all went well and Miss Ellie and Clayton told them about their trip and they laughed and had a good time. But then Miss Ellie suddenly asked Pam, “So Pam where are you and Rebecca staying?”

“Oh here at Southfork,” Pam smiled. “Bobby offered us one of the guest rooms upstairs. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind. You make sure to stay as long as you’d like,” Miss Ellie smiled satisfied with the response.

“Thanks Miss Ellie we won’t be going anywhere anytime soon,” Pam smiled.

“That makes me happy to hear. You know how much I love to have my family around me…”

“We do and did I mention that Donna & Margaret are coming for a visit as well on Monday?” Ray suddenly said and his remark made JR’s eyes narrow, as he so didn’t like the news one bit.

“No but that’s wonderful news,” Miss Ellie smiled warmly.

“I don’t think so. I mean first that Barnes Woman, then that ex. Krebbs Woman and both of them bring off-springs?”

“JR!” Miss Ellie said annoyed.

“No Mama, Southfork’s a big place but it’s not that big and with all these people coming here at the same time. It’s gonna be a full house!”

“And what’s wrong with that?” Miss Ellie asked.

“Yeah wasn’t it you who used to whine about missing the good ol’ days when it was all about family?” Bobby reminded his brother who grimaced as Bobby had a point.

“I did, but there’s family and there’s family and besides aren’t it funny that they all comes here now?” JR complained. “But when I needed them there was no one!”

“Oh come on JR you’re overreacting…” Bobby told his brother.

“Am I?” JR asked. “So if I am overreacting then you’ll tell me where the hell everybody was when I almost killed myself then?”

His comment made Miss Ellie hung her head low as it reminded her that she had failed her eldest son and the idea of JR feeling so low that he’d even considered taking his own life hurt her deeply.

Rebecca however lightened up the mood by stating with a child’s brutal honesty, “You know mom you were right. JR really is mentally ill just like you said!”

That comment made some of the grownups in the room chuckle. But Pam wasn’t amused as she scolded her daughter, “REBECCA! I know it’s been a long day for you, meeting your grandparents and all but you don’t have to babble about things that you don’t have a clue what they mean!”

“But mom you said that…”

“No Rebecca, it’s way past your bedtime…so let’s go upstairs and put you to bed,” Pam took Rebecca’s hand and the two of them walked out of the room.

Then when they were out of earshot JR turned to Bobby and said, “Bobby you’ll better watch out that kid is just like Pam, no doubts about it!”

“There you said it yourself. She’s Pam’s daughter,” Bobby smiled. “So maybe now I don’t have to hear you accuse her again for taking a kid off the street and claim that…”

“No Bob, I won’t. But you’re missing the point. Since sure that’s Pam’s kid alright. But like I said before, that doesn’t prove that she’s yours,” JR smiled his shit eating grin towards his brother and a tense silence lingered over the room, as they all knew that JR was right. Sure Pam could say it was Bobby’s child but except for her word they didn’t have any proof. Sure the kid resembled Bobby but the circumstances around her birth did sound unlikely, since for her to really be Bobby’s she’d had to survive that car crash. So no one said anything when Bobby looked around the room, waiting for someone to speak up for Pam. Instead they all just looked around the room, letting the silence speak louder than words…
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback Crazy about SE and JR. I'm glad you think it was the best update so far. :)

Here's another update:


Over at Afton’s house were Cliff and Becky still waiting patiently for Afton to wake up when her eyelids finally started to flutter. Cliff smiled, “Becky, I think your mother is about to come to now!”

“Finally” Becky said, as Afton opened her eyes, “Mom! Don’t you ever do that again you scared me!”

“I’m sorry baby, I didn’t mean to…” Afton sat up and hugged Becky tightly. “I was just so shocked to see Cliff here and…” Afton stopped herself as she noticed that Cliff was still there. Then she turned her attention to her ex. “Cliff what are you doing here?” Afton asked. “How did you find us?”

“Oh it wasn’t so hard, I have certain connections…” Cliff smiled sheepishly.

“Oh you mean you had a PI do the job for you?” Afton saw right through him.

“Something like that yeah,” Cliff admitted a bit ashamed.

“Mom, is this man really my daddy?” Becky suddenly asked.

“Becky I…” Afton started saying but was saved by the phone that started ringing. “The phone’s ringing.”

Afton reached over to grab it but before she had a chance to do that Cliff had already picked it up with the words, “Hello?!”

“I’m sorry I think I must have gotten the wrong number, I was calling for Afton Cooper…” said a man’s voice.

“Oh no worries, this is Afton’s phone,” Cliff replied.

“Oh really?” The man asked. “So who are you?”

“Cliff Barnes, Afton and I go way back…”Cliff explained. “So who’s calling?”

“Mario Badeau, Afton’s boyfriend!” The man replied.

“Her what?” Cliff asked surprised, as his PI had never said anything about a boyfriend being on the scene.

“Boyfriend,” The man confirmed.

Cliff felt like cursing. Damn! She wasn’t supposed to be seeing anyone! Cliff felt like screaming to the other man to get lost and that Afton was with him now. But he then decided to hold back that impulse and just said, “Oh I see, well Afton’s not feeling too well tonight but I’ll make sure she’ll know you called…” Cliff then hung up the phone before the man had a chance to say another word.

“How dare you answer my phone and then decide that I’m not well enough to take the call?” Afton was fuming. “That’s not for you to decide!”

“Sorry but you don’t look so fine to me.”

“Well and whose fault is that?” Afton started yelling at Cliff. “If I don’t look fine it’s all your fault!” Afton yelled accusingly. “You walk into my house, without any excuse at all, charm Becky by playing video games with her and then claims to be her father…”

“Claims to be?” Cliff raised his voice too. “I am her father!”

“Oh yeah and how can you be so sure that she is your daughter?”

“The test for the disease proves it,” Cliff exclaimed.

“Oh yeah that’s definitely proof. Since you’re the only man in the entire world that has neurofibromatosis, right?” Afton spat out.

Her words hits home and Cliff was taken aback. Since all these years he’d been so convinced that the little girl was his, even though Afton told him once before that she really was Van Buren’s daughter, in his heart he’d never believed that. Still standing there now he had to consider the possibility that Van Buren actually was the father and it made him feel vulnerable. “So does that mean that she’s…is she…not my daughter?” Cliff asked in a small voice.

Afton had the lie on the tip of her tongue when Becky suddenly changed her mind by sighing, “Oh great so I’m back to not having a father again!”

Seeing the disappointment shining from her daughter’s eyes Afton didn’t have the heart to lie. Since this wasn’t just about Cliff anymore, it was about Becky and regardless of what she thought about Cliff she couldn’t deprive her daughter from her father any longer just because she didn’t want Cliff in her life. It would be selfish. So therefore the truth finally came out. “No Becky, you do have a father!”

“So does that means?” Cliff asked.

“Yes,” Afton sighed. “I wish to God that she wasn’t but you’re right Cliff, she is your daughter!” Afton admitted, before turning back to her daughter. “Becky try not to build your hopes up too high. He might be your dad but he’s gonna disappoint you. I’m sure he will…” Afton tried to warn her daughter. But neither Cliff nor Becky seemed to listen to her warnings, as they were just so happy to finally have found each other…
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Loved yet another heart warming family dinner at Southfork and even though he's shit stirring mostly I think JR's point about Rebecca is valid as was his point about the family not being there for him.
Happy to see that Afton realised she was being selfish and told Becky the truth, but again I think the poor kid has been totally screwed in the parent department.
Can't wait to see whatever drama is coming next LOL.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback Honkytonkangel. :)
Of course JR is shit-stirring, otherwise he wouldn't be JR now, would he? ;)
But yes he does have a valid point and a seed of doubt has been planted in Bobby's mind...

Here's another update:


Back at Southfork were the others still gathered in the living room when Pam came downstairs, “Finally Rebecca’s asleep,” Pam sighed, as she sat down next to Bobby on the sofa silently wondering why their daughter had to be so hard to get to sleep at night.

“She likes to stay up late at night, huh?” Bobby asked.

“She sure does,” Pam smiled.

“Well seems to me like she’s a Ewing already,” Miss Ellie smiled. “All my sons were always hard to put to bed too, not to mention Lucy.”

“Oh yeah she was the worst,” JR agreed.

“Oh and speaking of Lucy, does anyone have any idea of where she is?” Miss Ellie asked. “I thought she’d be here when we returned…”

“Sorry mama, no clue she only said she was going on a vacation. I never picked up on where,” Bobby replied.

“Well I bet wherever she is, she is not alone, as misery loves company,” JR chuckled and the others did their best to ignore his remark.

“You know I think it’s time for Miss Ellie and I to get some rest as well…” Clayton said.

“Yeah it’s getting late so good night everyone,” Miss Ellie said before she and Clayton got up and left the room.

The others exchanged a look and sensing that his parents wanted to be alone together Christopher said, “Oh that’s right Uncle Ray you promised us that we could play cards…can we go into the study?” Christopher asked his uncle who nodded.

“Sure thing, let’s play some poker,” Ray smiled and as he and Christopher got up Bobby told them.

“Have fun and don’t stay up too late son.”

“I won’t dad,” Christopher grinned, as he and Ray disappeared into the study.

That only left JR, Bobby & Pam in the room. The three of them glared at each other for a moment before Bobby, who was eager to be alone with Pam, told JR, “So JR didn’t you have some phone calls to make?”

“I did?” JR looked surprised.

“Yeah about work,” Bobby gave his brother a get lost glance.

“Oh yeah I did…so well goodnight Bob, Pam,” JR excused himself and suddenly there was only Bobby & Pam left in the room.

A silence lingered between them before Bobby finally opened up the conversation, “Pam I think we need to talk…”

“I think you’re right…” Pam agreed and yet neither one of them said another word. Finally the silence became too much for Pam who said, “So you wanted to talk, talk.”

”It’s not that easy.”

“So I’ve noticed. Still something’s obviously bugging you. So why don’t you just spit it out?” Pam asked. “That is if it’s not my presence that bothers you because then just say so and we could leave…”

“No! No! I don’t want you to leave and it’s not your company. Although I must admit it feels kinda strange to have you here again after all this time…”

“I know the feeling…still if that’s not it, what is it?”

“It’s about Rebecca…” Bobby finally said.

“What about Rebecca?”

“It’s just that. God Pam, I know I shouldn’t doubt your word. It’s just that we haven’t seen each other for years and I just can’t forget what JR said. How can I be sure she’s really mine?” Bobby asked troubled. “There’s no proof!”

“You’re right…”

“I am?” Bobby looked surprised as he hadn’t counted on that Pam would understand. “So you’ll agree to do a paternity test?” He asked hopefully.

“No, I can’t believe you’d even suggest that,” Pam said offended. “I mean you shouldn’t doubt my word. For heaven’s sake Bobby we’ve been through this before. I’ve already told you everything you need to know so why can’t you trust me on this?”

“I don’t know…” Bobby shook his head. “I guess it’s just seems too good to be true…”

“I know it sounds unbelievable. But it is true. Rebecca is your daughter and if you won’t take my word for it, I don’t know what to do about it…” Pam sighed, when she noticed the pained expression on Bobby’s face. “And you still have doubts, huh?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry Pam. I want to believe you I do. But after everything that’s happened I don’t know what to think and…”

Bobby & Pam’s serious conversation was suddenly interrupted by the very person who they were talking about. Happily unaware of that she was being discussed Rebecca came into the room and jumped up in the sofa, sitting down in between her parents, she beamed, “Hi mommy and daddy!”

“Rebecca, what are you doing up this late?” Pam wondered.

“I couldn’t sleep…and I wanted to say goodnight to daddy,” Rebecca smiled towards Bobby who smiled back.

“Goodnight Rebecca.”

“Goodnight daddy,” Rebecca replied, as she gave Bobby a big hug and holding the child in his arms, he felt sure again. Since although Pam’s words might not be enough, the feeling he had about the child couldn’t be wrong. Since when he hugged her he just knew in his heart that she must be his daughter…
 

pd fan

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
wonderful update Karin:bravo: ; I hope now Bobby is really going to believe Pam this time that rebecca is his daughter ; I look forward to see what is going to happen next :D Great job as usual !!
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you Silvie. :)
I'm glad you found that update wonderful. You'll find out in time what's going on with Bobby, Pam, Rebecca and Chris. But first Afton has something to explain to Becky...

Here's the next update:


It was close to eleven at night and Afton was sitting in her double bed with pink covers. She was trying to read a book but she couldn’t concentrate. Knowing that Cliff Barnes was back in her life again and that he had weaseled his way into her daughter’s life she felt torn. Because watching Cliff with their daughter had been a shock to her. He had seemed completely natural and it had made her question if it had been wrong of her to keep them apart for all those years. Just because he was a lousy boyfriend it doesn’t mean he’s a lousy father, Afton reflected to herself. Yet at the same time she was scared of what it might mean inviting Cliff back into her life again. Since she was doing great without him, her singing career was about to take off, her daughter was a charming, bright, perceptive, healthy, adorable little girl. On top of that Afton even had a new boyfriend, who she loved, who was everything that Cliff was not; young, handsome, successful, from a noble family and rich. All of that appealed to Afton since she had always been a bit of a social climber, an opportunist who took a chance to make a better life for herself when she saw it. She was also a bit greedy, needy and manipulative. So in her mind she knew that Mario was the perfect man for her. Yet he had never made her feel the way that Cliff had, as there was something about him that made her feel weak.

Afton didn’t like the woman she had turned into when she was with Cliff, as he had made her, self-sacrificing, willing to please, concerned and a bit of a doormat. He had her heart in the palm of his hand and walked all over it, because he didn’t appreciate her love. Maybe she’d loved him too much. But after she’d found him lifeless on the floor after that attempted suicide she’d known that she loved him more than she’d ever loved any other man in her life before and that she’d be damned if she’d lost him. So she’d tried her hardest to please him. She’d been patient, loyal, caring, loving and perceptive. But it was to no use. After 3 years together she’d simply had enough, so she’d left him. It was a decision she had only regretted when her daughter was concerned, since she wished that Becky would have had a father in her life. But she didn’t wish for it to be Cliff. Since that man was poison to her and her love for him was no longer blind. She had been so young when she’d met him, but now at age 36, she knew that she deserved more. She needed to be with someone who loved her for who she was rather than who took her for granted and constantly neglected her. Sitting there thinking about Cliff Afton was so lost in her own thoughts that she barely heard the door opening and Becky walking into her bedroom. Becky’s voice therefore startled her, “Mom?”

“Yes Becky?” Afton put away the book she was reading on the black chest of drawers that stood next to her bed. “I thought you were asleep…”

“No I couldn’t sleep,” Becky sighed.

“Why not?”

“I was thinking about my dad,” said Becky. “How come you’ve never told me about him before?”

Afton sighed as she had been expected this conversation but had hoped to be able to postpone it. However seeing the questions in her daughter’s eyes she knew that it was time to have that serious conversation. Only trouble is how do I explain Cliff to her? Afton pondered before she said, “Becky come here,” she patted on her bed and Becky hurried to climb into her mother’s bed and sat down next to her. “I am going to tell you something really important and I want you to listen real careful, okay?”

“Okay,” Becky nodded.

Afton took a deep breath before she started to explain about Cliff to their daughter, “The reason why I haven’t told you about your father before was because I was trying to protect you from him.”

“Protect me from him?” Becky asked. “But why mom?” Becky didn’t get it. “I mean it’s not like he’s a bad person, is he?”

“No he’s not a bad person. He’s just…Cliff,” Afton sighed before she continued. “You’ll see the Cliff Barnes I knew was obsessed with beating JR Ewing. There was this whole family feud going on between your grandfather Digger Barnes and Jock Ewing, who was JR’s dad, and although Digger was long gone before I met your dad and Jock Ewing died shortly after they somehow managed to pass on the hatred to their sons who continued to fight.”

“So dad’s family is at war with the Ewings?” Becky wondered.

“Well I guess you can say that they were, but not anymore. Pam changed all that.”

“Who’s Pam?”

“Oh sweetie, she’s your aunt.”

“Oh right, I think dad mentioned that he had a sister before…”

“I’m not surprised, they used to be very close,” Afton reflected. “Anyway Pam was married to Jock Ewing’s youngest son Bobby Ewing.”

“You mean she married the man from the family that dad’s family was in a feud with?”

“Yes because she loved Bobby despite the fact that he is a Ewing.”

“That sounds very Romeo and Juliet,” Becky smiled and her comment made her mom laugh.

“Well I wouldn’t go that far, but yes they did love each other a lot and I always used to think that Bobby and Pam were good for each other. They have a son by the way, Christopher.”

“So you mean I have a cousin?” Becky’s face lit up.

“Yes,” Afton nodded.

“Wow!” Becky smiled excitedly. “I get a dad, a cousin and an aunt all on one day. Seems like there’s a lot of things I didn’t know about.”

“Well I am not sure you’ll ever get to actually meet your aunt as nobody knows where she is. But I can tell you she was the closest thing I’ve ever had to a sister,” Afton said. “In fact both Cliff’s sister and his mother were wonderful to me.”

“Oh that’s right, what about my other grandma, is she still alive?”

“I’m sorry Becky, but she died in a plane crash before you were born. But she was a strong, very kind, supportive and fair lady. You would have loved her,” Afton said sadly.

“What was her name?”

“Rebecca.”

“But that’s my name too.”

“Yes I named you after your dad’s sister and mother,” Afton admitted.

“I wish I could have met them.”

“Me too.”

“But if you wish so, why did you then try to keep me from my family?”

“Because of your father,” Afton sighed, since after she’d seen Cliff in her house earlier today playing with their daughter she wasn’t so sure if she’d done the right choice anymore. I mean just because Cliff and I didn’t work out maybe I was selfish to keep his child away from him? Afton sighed, as seeing Cliff again had made her feel so confused.

“What about my father?” Becky asked.

“Well like I tried to explain to you before, when I first dated your father he was obsessed with beating JR Ewing and always tried to prove that he could be bigger and better than him. There was nothing he wouldn’t do to get ahead in business. Towards the end of our relationship we started fighting more and more.”

“What did you fight about?”

“Oh money, other women, just about anything.”

“Dad cheated on you?” Becky asked.

“I’m not sure. But he had this business partner, Marilee Stone who sure had her eye on him. I didn’t like it when he made business with her.”

“What kind of business is he working with?”

“Oh he’s in the oil business,” Afton explained.

“But that’s great, so does that mean he’s rich?” Becky asked excitedly.

“No,” Afton shook her head. “He’s not that good at business. You’ll see during our last year together he gambled everything on an oil deal. He was losing big time and when he lost, he drank and he got nasty,” Afton explained.

Becky grimaced, not liking what she heard, “What do you mean with nasty?”

“Well he was upset with me, because I had used the money his mother left me to buy your grandma Arliss a better house since he wanted to use that money to finance his off shore oil drilling. That sort of thing,” Afton explained.

“Okay,” Becky nodded. “So did you love him?”

“Yeah I did,” Afton sighed. “Very much, actually and I tried to stand by him but eventually he pushed me too far. I was sick of always being second best to his business. I needed a man who would put me first. So I packed my bags and left him. It wasn’t until after I had moved away from Dallas that I realized that I was pregnant with you. But by then I figured that we’d both be better off without him.”

“I don’t get it. The man you’re describing sounds nothing like the man I met today,” Becky was puzzled by all this.

“I know baby. But that’s the way he was back then.”

“So that’s why he said he acted stupid,” Becky sighed.

“What?”

“Dad said that he’d been stupid to put his business before you,” Becky clarified.

“He did now, did he?”

“Yes he did, I bet he regrets letting you go,” Becky said in a way that was making Afton feel nervous, as there had been a time in her life when she’d wanted nothing more than to become Mrs. Cliff Barnes. He had been the love of her life and yet the idea that he might still have feelings for her scared her.

I can’t go back to him. Not after all I’ve been through to get him out of my system, Afton reflected before she told Becky, “Maybe.”

“I know he does, he more or less told me straight up.”

“Okay so maybe he did. After all when I met him six years ago he was nicer.”

“You met him again?”

“Yes I took a gig at a local club here in Dallas. Then one evening after I had finished singing he just showed up.”

“Then what happened?” Becky asked.

“He asked me to have a drink with him. So I did. He told me that he was a changed man. That Pam’s accident had changed him and that he was now working at Ewing Oil with Bobby and JR.”

“Pam’s accident?”

“Well yeah, she was in a car crash back in 1987 and then she left town. Nobody knows what happened to her ever since.”

“Oh,” Becky said disappointed. “But that’s horrible.”

“Yeah it is, anyway, your dad said it had changed him. So we started seeing each other again and I did notice that he had changed. He was willing to put me before his business for a change and played out all his cards right, he even asked me to marry him.”

“But mom that’s great!”

“Well not really, you’ll see the only reason why he asked me was because he had found out about you and I didn’t want to marry him until I knew for sure that he wanted me for me and not for you if you know what I am saying?” Afton regretted her words the moment she had said them, as it was obvious that her honesty had hurt her daughter’s feelings.

“No I don’t get it. All I know is that I could have had a father for six years and it’s your fault that I didn’t…” Becky said angrily, as she stood up and was about to leave.

But Afton caught her arm, stopping her from leaving, “No Becky, please don’t go. I want you to understand that I only did what I did because I thought that if I had married him and it wouldn’t have worked out I could have lost you in a custody battle and I couldn’t stand the thought of losing you to him. I love you too much for that Becky,” Afton pleaded with her daughter and to her relief Becky sat back down again.

“I love you too mom. But I still think it was wrong to keep me from my dad for all these years and I don’t care what you’ve told me about you and him. I want him to be a part of my life from now on,” Becky finally said the exact words that Afton had dreaded that she would say.

But knowing better than trying to stop her daughter Afton just nodded in defeat, “Alright, I can understand that.”

“Good, so could you please call him for me and set up a meeting?”

“Why don’t you call him yourself?” Afton asked.

“Mom you know how I always get all shy when I am to call people up…”

“Alright you win. I’ll call him tomorrow and set up a meeting.”

“Thanks mom,” Becky hugged her mother, “Oh and one more thing?”

“What?” Afton asked.

“Can I sleep in your bed tonight?”

“Oh honey, of course you can,” Afton smiled, relieved that she hadn’t lost her daughter, at least not yet. Afton and Becky then laid down and Becky quickly drifted off to sleep, but Afton was not afforded the same luxury, as her confrontation with Cliff earlier that evening and now her conversation with Becky had left her with a lot to think about. Oh Cliff, why do you always have to show up just when I think I am over you? Afton reflected to herself, as she knew that a part of her was still weak when Cliff was concerned and she hated it. Since she was actually happy with Mario and had even hoped that he might be the man that she would eventually get married to and have more kids with. So to have Cliff appear again like a bad rash was the last thing she needed at this stage of her life…
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Here's another short update:


The next evening, on a flight QF7 from Sydney to Dallas, Lucy Ewing Cooper was sitting with her head resting against the window as she was fast asleep. A stewardess walked past her and picked up the empty food trays from today’s lunch. Then she kept wandering down the walkway of the flight until she almost collided with a man who came out from the bathroom. He had brown hair, blue eyes and a five o’clock shadow on his face.

“Oh I’m sorry Dr. Cooper I didn’t see you come out there,” the stewardess apologized politely, making sure to keep a certain courtesy towards the first class passenger.

“Oh it’s okay,” Mitch said. “Lunch was good today.”

“Thanks I’m glad you think so and I think the food made your wife very sleepy.”

“I don’t think it was the food that made her sleepy, as we haven’t gotten much sleep this week. You’ll see we are just on our way home from our honeymoon up by the Great Barrier Reef,” Mitch explained.

“Oh how nice,” the stewardess smiled.

“Yes it was,” Mitch replied before he went back to his seat and sat down next to the sleeping Lucy.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback Sanda. I'm glad you're still loving this story. :)
I hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Here's another update:



The same morning at Southfork Ranch were Miss Ellie, Clayton, JR, Bobby, Christopher and Ray having breakfast together. Miss Ellie was still talking fondly about their trip to Jamaica, “You should have seen Clayton he was like the king of that karaoke night!”

“Oh Ellie you are too kind,” Clayton felt slightly embarrassed.

“So let me get this right,” JR frowned. “Clayton was singing?”

“Yeah and that’s not the most surprising thing,” Miss Ellie smiled. “He has some clear musical talent!”

Bobby laughed, “Really Clayton?”

“That’s really cool grandpa Farlow,” Christopher said appreciating. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard you sing though…”

“Well I didn’t even know that you could sing!” Ray said teasingly.

“Neither did I,” Bobby laughed.

“Well I might have been king at the country club stage but I’m telling you boys that on those golf courses your mother was unbeatable!”

“Sounds like Mama, she can be quite competitive when she wants to,” JR said.

“Well that’s also really cool grandma,” Christopher said appreciating. “So is it hard to play golf?”

“Not very,” Clayton replied. “All you need is a little strength and a good aim.”

“Yeah maybe someday I can teach you,” Miss Ellie promised Christopher.

The boy looked a bit doubtful, as golf was not really his idea of a fun sport. Still not wanting to hurt his grandma’s feeling he said politely, “Thanks grandma that would be swell!”

“Not today though, as today I thought we could take your mother and sister out for another ride,” Bobby told Christopher.

“Oh dad, do we have to do it today I mean…”

Christopher was interrupted by that Pam and Rebecca came out from the house and walked onto the patio. “Good morning,” Pam greeted them.

“Well when you’re speaking of the devil,” JR muttered.

However the others didn’t pay any attention to him. Instead Miss Ellie smiled warmly at Pam and Rebecca and said, “Good morning, Pam, Rebecca.”

“Good morning grandma, good morning daddy,” Rebecca smiled happily.

Noticing the Barnes clan approaching his table, JR hurried to get up, as he wanted to avoid another strained meal. Still not even Pam and her cheeky kid could get him down today, as knowing that he would soon see his boy and Sue Ellen made his heart some good. So he smiled as he said, “Well if you’ll excuse me I’m off to the airport.”

“Ah right it’s today Sue Ellen and John Ross will get here,” Miss Ellie smiled, at the notion of seeing her other grandson again.

“Yes and I want everyone to be on their best behavior when they visit. So Bobby try to get some order on that rude kid of yours because if you don’t Sue Ellen will never realize that it’s here at Southfork that she and John Ross belongs,” with that comment JR walked towards his car.

Pam rolled her eyes as she sat down next to Bobby, “Seems like JR is still chasing Sue Ellen.”

“Yeah I’d say you’re right, poor woman she’ll never know what hit her…” Bobby said jokingly and Pam laughed as the breakfast continued.
 
Top