What If

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Ok I'm temporarily turning my branding iron posse into a cheer squad for my girl so.... Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen!.
If I could jump and down I would. Way to lay down the law and handle your man and business. I LOVE IT.
However when the time for the irons comes if James is sincere and not trying to play the family he will be reprieved and Vanessa will be getting two.
As well as the fabulousness of our duo, I loved the shopping trip. It was hilarious and I'm sure the lovesick puppies DID look very manly.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Before I post this next chapter, I have some explaining to do so readers don't think I've lost my mind.

This fic is winding down. Probably only 8-10 more parts before it's done. It may seem as if I am wrapping everything up in a too neat bow, but remember, this is my "ideal" ending.

I have tried to stay true to the characters as much as possible - I messed with Afton the most I think...and Vanessa. In both instances I did it to push the story further along. And honestly, I doubt anyone cares about me turning Vanessa into an evil, greedy old hag.

That said, the next chapter might be hard to take. JR may come off as wimpy or weak. But I felt like I had to do it.

If JR and SE are going to get their "happily ever after" then I have to deal with the past. If she has always been the love of his life, I have to reconcile his cheating and his emotional abuse toward her. And the only way I could do that is to force JR to come to terms with WHY he treated her so poorly.

I hope it doesn't make him too weak - but it's realistic to me.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 86


***


"That's enough, John Ross!" Sue Ellen laughed. "Give your Uncle Bobby a break!"


"Aw, Mama!" John Ross complained.


"I mean it! Don't make me have to take those water guns away from you boys!"


"I'm starting to regret buying those things!" Pam giggled.


"Not as much as JR and Bobby are regretting it. Poor guys are getting soaked mercilessly!"


"Is it like this every night now Sue Ellen?"


"Like what?"


"So peaceful. So much fun."


"Yes," Sue Ellen confirmed. "It's a wonderful life at Southfork these days."


"Are you going to miss it when you and JR move?"


"We're just going right next door," Sue Ellen reminded her. "I don't intend to miss any of this."


"Say, Pam," JR cut in, coming over to take a seat next to Sue Ellen at the patio table, "why don't Sue Ellen and I take you and the boys over to see the house tomorrow when I get home from work? I know Christopher would love to show you his room."


"Oh, I'd love that, JR!"


"Is that Cliff?" Bobby asked, coming over and grabbing a towel.


"Oh. Yes," JR grimaced. "I totally forgot he was coming over with those ownership transfer papers this evening."


"Me too," Bobby sighed. "I hope he knows what he's doing."


"I personally think the man has lost his mind."


"Ownership transfer papers?" Sue Ellen repeated.


"Now honey, we weren't hiding it. With everything that happened yesterday the fact is it totally slipped my mind."


"What slipped your mind, JR?" Sue Ellen asked suspiciously.


"Well…"


"Good evening everyone," JR's words were lost when Cliff interrupted. "Pam, you look wonderful," he bent down and kissed her.


"Thank you, Cliff," Pam beamed at him. "Are you staying for dinner?"


"Not tonight," he waved at Christopher in the pool. "Afton and I are having dinner with April and Jack. I just have some papers for JR and Bobby to sign, then I'll be on my way."


He produced an envelope and a pen from his jacket pocket and handed it to JR.


"What kind of papers?" Sue Ellen asked.


"They didn't tell you? Oh. I'm signing over half of my Ewing Oil stock to Jack."


"You're what?" Pam breathed out, shocked. "Why?"


"Giving him back what I took from him after Jamie died."


"Cliff... that's…"


"Crazy," JR finished for Pam. He handed the papers and pen to Bobby and leaned back into his chair.


"I think it's wonderful, Cliff," Sue Ellen said, smacking JR's hand. "Does Jack know?"


"No, I'm telling him tonight."


"What brought this on?" Pam asked him.


"Oh, I don't know. Getting you back. Getting Afton back. Getting Pammy. I suddenly have a lot of good karma going and I want to keep it that way."


"There you go, Cliff," Bobby handed him the papers back. "Don't forget to tell Jack he can't sell without mine and JR's joint approval."


"Will do," Cliff smiled and bent down to kiss Pam again. "Call you tomorrow, Sis. And I'll see you boys at the office tomorrow. Don't forget we have that conference call with Donna about the Senate Bill."


"See you then," Bobby said, watching Cliff walk away.


"I could make a comment about a fool and his money being parted…" JR stopped when he saw the look on Pam's face, "but I certainly won't, because I'm a changed man!"


***


"Do you think JR does know?" Jenna asked Ray after hearing about James.


"If he does, he hasn't known long, I promise you that. I'd have heard about it by now."


"Sue Ellen isn't going to like this at all."


"No. Listen, I know I've been gone a lot lately…"


"Oh, no Ray, you need to go. This could really hurt the family. Besides, you have to go back and check on the business anyway, especially if you and Clayton are going to make Jack a partner."


"I feel like I'm always leaving you, Jenna."


"I'm fine if you leave," she leaned forward and kissed him, "just so long as you always come home."


"Never doubt it," Ray smiled and kissed her back. "Never doubt it."


***


"You're home early tonight. Miss Krebbs have a nursery program to attend?"


"Very funny, mother. I'm not seeing the Krebb's girl anymore."


"Well, I'm glad that you have come to your senses."


"I don't have time to play games with you. I'm only here to pack my bags."


"Where are you going?"


"I'm not sure yet. But away from you."


"You can't leave James. I'll cut you off without a dime!"


"Go ahead. My uncle Nestor has given me a large line of credit with very favorable terms."


"Why would he do that?" Vanessa's eyes narrowed in suspicion.


"Well, in spite of all the effort you've made to make him seem a monster to me my whole life, I found him to be quite pleasant and reasonable. Especially after I faxed him a copy of the blood test Allister had done on me when I was seven."


"Blood test?" Vanessa gasped.


"Oh, I forgot. You didn't know about that, did you mother? Turned out Allister knew all those years there was no possible way I could be his son. He kept your secret mother, but I refuse to."


"James…"


"In addition to the line of credit, good old Uncle Nestor also gave me a reward for revealing to him the true cause of his brother's death. Since it was from natural causes - a heart attack - and not an accident, it seems you'll have to give back a sizable portion of your insurance settlement."


"James, I don't know where you're getting your information…"


"The same place you got yours, Mother. Straight from the police file."


"James, you need to think carefully about what you're doing. You were at the house that night. You started the fire. You confessed it all to me yourself. If you make Any of this public, you could go to jail!"


"No I won't. I also confessed to the police this afternoon. I'm not in any legal jeopardy at all - since as you well know I lied about not reporting the fire."


"You made that emergency call?"


"Yes. I suppose I lied about it because I wanted you to be afraid of me. I wanted you to think I had enough of you in me that I could be that evil. But it's just not so. And I am leaving here and getting away from your poison before you infect me further."


"James, please…"


"Goodbye, mother. And good luck. By the time Uncle Nestor gets through with you, you're really going to need it."


***


"We're going to have to get them out of the pool," Sue Ellen sighed. "It's getting very late."


"Let's give Pam and Bobby a little bit more time alone before we unleash those boys back into the house," JR responded. "After all, they kept them occupied for us for quite a long while this afternoon."


Sue Ellen blushed and nodded. "Okay, JR."


"I love that you know," his voice turned low and seductive.


"What?"


"How you're such a wildcat in bed but ladylike enough to blush about it outside the bedroom."


Sue Ellen blushed deeper and JR chuckled at her. "Lucy's home," he pointed at the driveway.


Lucy got out of her car, waved at the boys, and walked over to JR and Sue Ellen's table.


"How did things go with Mitch?" Sue Ellen asked her niece.


"Wonderfully," Lucy smiled brightly. "Stand up, Uncle JR."


"Why?" JR's eyes grew dark with distrust. "I just dried off. Don't you dare push me back into the pool."


"Would you just stand up?" Lucy rolled her eyes.


JR slowly got up. He was barely standing straight when Lucy jumped up into his arms and flung her arms around his neck. "I love you so much. Thank you for everything."


Lucy let him go and turned towards the house. "I have to call Mama. I can't wait to tell her Mitch is moving to Dallas!"


"What was that all about?" Sue Ellen asked once Lucy was inside.


JR shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "Nothing. I might have gone by and had a talk with Mitch this morning."


"Oh? You MIGHT have?" Sue Ellen teased him.


"Now let's not make a big deal out of it. Probably had nothing to do with him coming to his senses."


"Whatever you say, JR," Sue Ellen grinned at her husband. "Whatever you say."


***


"Are you going to tell Sue Ellen?" Jack asked.


April looked up from her plate of food and shrugged. "I have to, don't I? My sister laid out an entire plot to steal the woman's husband in black and white. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't tell her?"


"Not a very good one," Cliff sighed. "You're kinda between a rock and a hard place."


"Yes. I could strangle Michelle for putting me there."


"Excuse me for asking" Afton hesitated, "but do you know where your sister is right now?"


"No idea," April told her. "Probably staying in some hotel. Why?"


"Well," Afton shifted in her seat and dropped her eyes to her food. "Nothing. Nevermind."


"It's okay, Afton," Cliff reached over and squeezed her hand. "You're among friends here. You can say what's on your mind."


Afton looked up at him and gave him a small smile. "It's really none of my business," she nervously addressed April, "but your sister is very young. She's alone in a very expensive city and you said she didn't take any money with her…"


"You're worried about what she'll do to make a living aren't you?" Cliff asked her.


"I'm sorry. Like I said, it's really none of my business."


"It's alright, Afton," April said, her voice gentle. "It's a good point and I hadn't thought of it. I'm very angry with my sister right now, but I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I'll try to find her tomorrow. Thank you."


"You want me to do it?" Jack offered. "So you don't have to deal with her?"


"I'll do it," Cliff broke in. "That way no messy family entanglements"


Jack looked over at Cliff and realized April must have told him about him and Michelle. "That's a good idea, Cliff. Thank you."


"No worries, happy to help. This dinner was delicious, April," Cliff changed the subject, "got any dessert in that kitchen?"


"Of course," April smiled. "Afton, would you come help me in the kitchen for a minute?"


"Of course," Afton stood and followed April out of the room.


Cliff turned to Jack and pulled some papers out of his jacket pocket. "I was going to wait until after dinner to do this, but since we have a few minutes alone, this seems like a good time."


Jack took the papers from Cliff, unfolded them, and started reading. "What's this Cliff… it looks like…"


"It is," Cliff told him. "Those shares rightfully belong to you. I stole them. Now I'm giving them back."


"What's the catch?" Jack asked doubtfully.


"No catch from me, but Bobby and JR put in a restriction preventing you from selling them to anyone without both their approval. And that's not personal. They want to control who has stock in their company plus make sure neither of them have more shares than the other."


"I can't accept this, Cliff. These shares are worth more money than I'll be able to make in a lifetime."


Cliff said back in his chair and leveled his gaze on Jack. "Those shares belonged to Jamie. She would have never wanted me to have them and you know it. They belong to her heir and that's you. They should be passed down to her family, so that means your children. I'm just giving back what I never should have taken from you in the first place."


"Cliff…"


"Please let me do this. I was horrible to Jamie. She was so young and so sweet and she loved me so much and I was just awful. I never did one decent thing for that woman while she was alive. Let me do this for her now. Please. I need to make this right."


"Are you sure? It's so much money."


"Money I got," Cliff laughed bitterly. "What I need is a clean conscience."


"Alright, Cliff," Jack gave in. "Just show me where to sign."


***


"I'm sorry I butted in," Afton said, stacking the dessert plates to carry back to the table.


"Please don't apologize. I'm glad you spoke up."


"You're very important to Cliff," Afton told her. "He loves you very much. I won't interfere in your friendship. He needs you."


"I love him very much too," April said softly. "And because I love him, I can see how much having you back in his life makes him happy. So I won't interfere in your relationship either."


"Thank you," Afton said shyly. "Would it be alright if I said one more thing about your sister?"


"Of course, Afton. I always want you to feel free to speak your mind to me."


Afton nodded and turned to face her. "Everything you said about her tonight - well, it reminded me of myself. The scheming. The disrespect of JR's marriage. The money grabbing. It's almost as if you were having a conversation about me all those years ago when I first came to Dallas. April, people do really terrible things sometimes. There's no excuse. But…"


"But?" April pressed her.


"But sometimes those people can be changed with love and understanding. And sometimes, if they feel thrown away and abandoned, they do even worse things. Things they can never get over."


April said nothing at first. She reached out and touched Afton's shoulder lightly, "You're safe now, Afton. And I'll try to reason with Michelle. Okay?"


Afton nodded and picked up the plate. "We'd better serve dessert. You know Cliff gets testy if his sweet tooth isn't satisfied."


***


"You feel up to going into the office for a couple of hours tomorrow?" JR asked, coming out of the bathroom, drying his hair with a towel.


"I suppose. If I can shop, I can work," Sue Ellen answered. "What's going on?"


"Oh, we have a conference call set up with Donna and some other DC folks about that environmental bill. I just think it would be good to have you sit in on it."


"Have you talked to Bobby about it?"


"Yeah, he agrees."


"Alright, JR."


"Good. I'll have Harv and Harry stop by too so I can start the changes in the will and make contact with James."


"Alright, JR," she said again. Her voice was flat and lifeless.


"Sue Ellen…"


He was interrupted by a knock at the door.


"Come in," JR called out.


The door opened and Bobby poked his head in. "JR, Ray's on the phone. He wants to talk to you."


"Thanks, Bob," JR reached over and picked up the phone, nodding at Bobby as the other man left the room. "Hey, Ray. What's up?"


JR was quiet for a while as he listened. Sue Ellen sat up straight in the bed when she saw the stricken look on her husband's face. "What, JR?" she whispered. "What's wrong?"


JR reached out and took her hand in his. "Ray? Yeah. I heard you. Listen, Sue Ellen is here with me. I'm going to put you on speaker. Start over from the beginning for her, okay? No, no it's fine. She knows everything." He reached out, pushed the speaker button on the phone, and put the receiver down. "Okay, Ray. Go ahead. And don't leave anything out."


***


"I think my little dinner party went pretty well," April said, coming up behind Jack and putting her arms around his waist.


"Did you know Cliff was signing over those shares to me?"


"I had no clue. I was just as shocked as you were." She laid her head on his shoulder and lightly kissed his neck.


"All these years I've been scrounging and scraping by, and today, out of the blue, a fortune got dumped in my lap. First Clayton says he and Ray want to make me a partner in Saddle Tree and then Cliff gives me those shares. It's a little overwhelming."


"Good things come to good people," April kissed him again. "Sometimes it just takes a while."


Jack turned to face her and took her into his arms. "April, for the first time in my life, I feel… good. Settled. Happy. And you are the biggest reason for that. The money, the stock, all that's good. But having you back, that's what is making me feel so good…"


"Jack," April felt so weak, she was afraid her knees would buckle, "please…"


He dropped his head and captured her lips with his. When he finally broke the kiss, he nuzzled her ear and whispered, "do you want to make.love with me honey?"


"Oh yes," April breathed out, "God, yes."


He picked her up and carried her to the bedroom, determined to show her exactly how much love he had for her in his heart.


***


"Sue Ellen? You've been awfully quiet since we got off the phone with Ray."


Sue Ellen rolled over and looked at her husband. The conversation with Ray had been tense and difficult. Afterwards, she had gotten into bed and turned away from JR. To her surprise, he hadn't reached for her or attempted to make love to her.


"There's not a lot for me to say, is there JR? You heard Ray. The boy has a blood test. If Allister Brumin isn't his father, that means you probably are."


"We don't know that for a fact yet."


"Yes. But it's very likely. We have to face facts and prepare ourselves for the reality that you have another son."


JR sat up and switched on the light. "If that turns out to be the case, how is it going to affect us?"


"I think the answer to that question is fairly obvious, JR."


"No it's not. Not to me. Listen, I know it'll cause upheaval around here. I know John Ross will be confused, Christopher too. I know there's gonna be issues with the family and financial considerations and drama. What I don't know, and the only thing I really want to know, Sue Ellen is how it will affect us - me and you."


"I'm not sure I understand what you mean, JR."


"I mean can you accept it? Can you accept me having a child with another woman? Can you still love me the way you love me right now if it turns out that James is my son?"


"It will hurt me, JR," a single tear escaped from her eye. "You've had so many other women, but I was the only one who had ever given you a son…"


Her voice broke and she let out a soft sob.


"If Cliff had turned out to be John Ross's father, I would have stayed with you."


"What?"


"You heard me. And if that baby you lost had been born and turned out to be Peter's, I would have stayed with you."


"Oh, please, JR. Don't try to rewrite history. You told me yourself if Cliff had been John Ross's father you would have gotten the fastest divorce in the history of Texas and seen me walking the streets, remember?"


"Yes. I said that. I wanted to hurt you. But I would have stayed with you."


"JR, that's bull. You would have never forgiven me. And Jock would never have allowed you to stay married to me anyway."


"He would have made it hell on Earth. But I would have stuck it out. And eventually he would have come around."


"JR, that's a nice story, but you would have never disrespected your daddy's wishes. Not for me anyway."


"Is that so?" JR chuckled.


"Yes, that's so! And you know it!"


"Tomorrow when you see Harv Smithfield, I want you to ask him who paid your bail when they had you locked up for shooting me."


"What? What are you talking about JR?"


"Bobby wanted to pay it. He wanted to hire a defense attorney for you. Daddy said no, and the whole thing got dropped."


"So?"


"So I called Harv. I put up the cash anonymously. And I was going to hire a lawyer for you."


"I don't understand, JR...you thought I was the one who shot you."


"Yes. I did. And I didn't care, Sue Ellen. I wasn't going to let you go to jail for it. And Daddy would have found out and I would have had to have dealt with that. So don't ever say I wouldn't defy my father for you."


"JR… why have you never told me this before?"


"Pride. Vanity," JR shrugged. "Maybe I never wanted you to know how much power you truly have over me. Maybe I just thought there was no point dragging up the past. I'm sure you still have secrets from those days you keep from me, Sue Ellen. Sometimes the best thing is just to let sleeping dogs lie."


Sue Ellen swallowed hard as she considered her affair with Clint and her one night stand with Ray. JR was right. She had her share of secrets too. "JR, you're right. The past is the past. So why bring it all back up now?"


"Because… I need you to know, Sue Ellen. You're my wife. Faults, mistakes, heartbreak, and all. I know I pushed you for a divorce a few times. It never would have happened again though. In the end, I would have come to my senses and I never would have allowed it."


"JR…"


He reached over and gently touched her face. "We have come so far together. I would have been devastated not to be John Ross's father or if you had given birth to Peter's bastard. It would have been ugly and nasty and I would have hurt you for it. But, I wouldn't leave you. And I need to know, Sue Ellen, I need to hear you say that now that the roles are reversed, you won't leave me either."


Sue Ellen's eyes widened in sudden understanding. He was afraid, truly afraid she wouldn't accept another son and would walk out on him.


She moved closer to him and cupped his face in her hands. "I didn't leave you when I thought you and Kristen had a child, JR. Why would you think I would leave you over a child that was born before we even met?"


"Sue Ellen…"


She laid down on her back and pulled him close over her. "JR, I won't lie to you It will be hard for me. I may scream and yell and sometimes be unreasonable. But I can and will accept it. And I won't leave you."


JR buried his face against his neck and held her tight. "You make me weak, Sue Ellen. You always have. I resented you for that for so many years. It's part of why I cheated. Part of why I treated you so badly. I hated how vulnerable you made me feel. God, how I hated being so weak. Now I understand that weakness is a part of love."


His face was still resting against her neck. She couldn't see his eyes, but she felt the moisture of his tears. She realized how hard his words had been for him to speak, and her heart swelled with a protective love and with soaring pride that now, after all these years, he finally trusted her enough to share everything with her.


She tangled her hands in his hair and kissed the top of his head.


"Oh, JR… whatever power I have over you, you have the same over me. I left you before, yes, but I always came back. Because I love you. Because no man has ever made me feel the way you do. Because you're mine, and I belong to you. Now, finally JR, FINALLY after all these years of hurt and dysfunction we have a strong, healthy marriage. I won't let anything change that… especially not something that happened so long ago. I'm not leaving you. Never, ever again. If I make you weak, it's because deep down in your heart you have always known how strong my love is for you."


"I can face anything else, Sue Ellen," he breathed against her skin, "I'm not afraid of anything in this world… except losing you."


"You won't ever lose me. Make love to me now, JR. Please. I need you. And you need me."


"Yes, I do," he confessed softly. "I always have, Sue Ellen. And I always will."


***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I am so bloody proud of JR right now (and more than a little teary) .
I can totally see him feeling that way and why (so I gotta say if Jock was alive he'd so be getting the iron) and I loved how Sue Ellen understood what it took for him to be that open and vulnerable and she was right there.
Really loved the scenes between Cliff and Jack too. It's really cool to see how much Cliff has grown (shame he couldn't have matured years ago when Jamie was alive, cos she was way better for him than Afton).
Still really liking April and Jack together, but I am torn between wanting to see if April can help Michelle, and just having her throw her arse out onto the street.
I can't bring myself to care what happens to Afton, sorry. But I hope things work out for Pammy because she can't help who her mama is.
Lastly I'm sad the story will be winding down. I don't want it to end, it's been soooo good.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Lastly I'm sad the story will be winding down. I don't want it to end, it's been soooo good.

Thank you @Honkytonkangel . I kinda hate to end it too, because I have really been enjoying writing it. But I can't keep it going forever and all the plots are just about wrapped up.

It has been good quara therapy for me though, so probably will start a different one after this one is done. Maybe a future that stays on the original Dallas ending but ignores TNT.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
@CeeCee72 . Will following the original but ignoring TNT mean no death for JR and that there's still at least a chance at a happy ever after for him and Sue Ellen down the line somehow?.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
And when will this be??? I need dates. @CeeCee72

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it’s been therapy for us too. You’ve really helped me see my favourite couple from a different perspective. It has helped me soooo much to understand a lot of things that have troubled me since I was a kid watching JR and Sue Ellen and helped me make peace with them.

To be honest I don’t know what I’m gonna do without this to read.

Thank you so much @CeeCee72 - it’s been an absolute pleasure.

(Still gonna need those dates mind you).
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
And when will this be??? I need dates. @CeeCee72

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it’s been therapy for us too. You’ve really helped me see my favourite couple from a different perspective. It has helped me soooo much to understand a lot of things that have troubled me since I was a kid watching JR and Sue Ellen and helped me make peace with them.

To be honest I don’t know what I’m gonna do without this to read.

Thank you so much @CeeCee72 - it’s been an absolute pleasure.

(Still gonna need those dates mind you).

Yes to all of the above. When it's over I may have to go back to the beginning and start all over again.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 87


***


"Hey, you're not trying to sneak away from me, are you?"


Jack stopped in mid-motion putting his boot on and smiled at her. "No, ma'am. It's just so early and I didn't want to wake you. I was going to leave you a note on the coffee pot."


She glanced over at her clock and groaned when she saw it was barely 6 a.m. "Why on Earth are you leaving so early?"


"I'm a working man, honey. Clayton likes for me to be at the stables no later than 8:00."


"God," she grimaced. "This is going to take some getting used to."


Jack finished putting on his boots then got up and walked over to the bed. "Getting used to? Does that mean I get to stay over again?"


"Any time you want, Jack. Every single night if you want."


He sat down on the edge of the bed and bent down to give her a slow, long kiss. "I want," he said when he broke this kiss. "But I gotta get to work."


"What was the note going to say?"


"What?"


"The note you were going to leave me on the coffee pot. What was it going to say?"


"Sorry I had to leave so early, please let me see you tonight, and…"


"And what?"


"And I love you," he whispered.


Her face lit up in a bright smile. "Oh, Jack. I love you too."


***


"Come on, Miss Texas! We're going to be late! You're going to the office, not to a runway show "


JR waited a few minutes, then when Sue Ellen didn't come out of the bathroom, he opened the door and went in. "It's almost 7:30 and…" he stopped cold when he saw the tears rolling down her cheeks. "Oh, honey. What is it?"


"I'm scared."


"Of what?"


"Meeting him."


"He won't be here until tomorrow. And that's only if he agrees."


"What if he hates me, JR?"


JR sighed heavily and took her hands in his. "He won't hate you, darlin'. He's going to love you just like everyone else does."


"We have to tell John Ross before the press gets wind of it… and oh, JR, the press is going to have such a field day!"


"Alright, Sue Ellen. Calm down. One thing at a time, okay? Let's just get through today. We'll worry about the rest when the time comes."


She moved into his arms and hugged him tightly. "I don't know how you can be so calm about this, but I'm glad you are. I need you to be strong because I can't."


"It'll be alright, honey. And I'll be strong. As long as I have you, I can be strong enough for both of us."


***


"Hi James," Jenna said, stepping aside and festering for him to come into the house. "Ray is in the study."


"Thank you, Mrs. Krebbs. I'm sorry for the way I treated Charlie."


"Tell it to Charlie, not to me," Jenna said flatly.


"Yes, ma'am. I will."


"Well, like I said, Ray is in his study."


James nodded his thanks and walked through the house, stopping at the open study door. "May I come in?"


Ray looked up and gestured towards a seat across from his desk. "I talked to JR last night," he got right to the point. "He and his wife are seeing a lawyer this morning. They are going to protect their assets so if there's even the smallest chance this is about money, you can save us all a lot of time and trouble and just walk away right now."


"The money isn't an issue or a problem."


"I thought you'd say that. JR will agree to a paternity test. But before he does, you have to sign a binding agreement that you won't go to the press or ask him to openly acknowledge you as his son until he's prepared to do so. JR and Sue Ellen have two little boys at home and they need time to prepare them."


"Two? I thought they only had one son."


"They are helping to raise their nephew Christopher. He is like a second son to them."


"Oh. Alright. I have no objection to signing the agreement."


"Good. He also asks that you come to Dallas where the test can be performed by a doctor of his choosing."


"When do I leave?"


"WE leave first thing in the morning." Ray reached into his desk, pulled out a plane ticket, and handed it to James. "Our plane leaves at 6 a.m. Meet me at the airport at 5:00 sharp."


"I'll be there."


"Good. One other thing. If it turns out you are JR's son and all you really want is a family, you'll get a good one. But if this turns out to be some kind of sick con game, you'll make the most vicious enemies you can possibly imagine. This is hard for JR, and harder for his wife. Best advice I can give you is to give her time and space to accept you. Treat her with respect. If you're putting her through this for nothing, JR will kill you, but not before he makes you suffer. Understand?"


"Yes, sir."


"Okay. I'll see you in the morning."


James got up, walked back to the front door, and stepped out into the street. He turned Ray's parting warning over in his mind and smiled. Maybe, just MAYBE for once in his life, things might actually work out. JR Ewing had a reputation of being a hard, difficult man to deal with who had no problem getting way down into the mud when necessary. But a man, any man, who loved his wife as much as Ray had let on that JR loved his wife, had to be a good enough man to love his son - even one who he had never known existed.


***


"JR, no! You don't have to do that!"


"I know what I'm doing, Sue Ellen," JR snapped.


"Let me be sure I understand you, JR," Harv broke in. "You want all of your shares in Ewing Oil, Your Weststar stock, your land and new home all put jointly in your and Sue Ellen's name?"


"Yes."


"And you want your will to stipulate that those holdings, along with any inheritance you receive from Mrs. Ellie Farlow may only be distributed to either Sue Ellen Ewing or John Ross Ewing in the event of your death?"


"Yes."


"JR, this really isn't necessary!" Sue Ellen objected. "I want John Ross protected, but you don't have to put anything in my name!"


"Actually, Sue Ellen, it's a good idea. It makes it all joint property so it would make it harder for anyone other than a joint heir to contest the will," Harv informed her.


"Then I want to put all my property jointly in his name too!"


JR burst out laughing. "Now honey, you have quite a little fortune built up, but not enough to bother to add me to it."


"It's the principle behind the thing!" Sue Ellen stamped her foot. "If you are going to give me half of yours you are going to get half of mine!"


"Are you planning to divorce me, Sue Ellen?"


"Of course not!"


"Then then it won't ever matter, will it? I am doing this to protect our son, which is what you asked me to do. Your individual assets don't need protecting because John Ross is your only heir."


"He's right Sue Ellen,' Harv informed her. "And even with these changes, JR has more than enough additional assets to leave quite a tidy inheritance to Christopher, Lucy, and this James - should James turn out to be a legitimate heir."


"It feels wrong to me," Sue Ellen mumbled. "Ewing Oil is Jock's company. He wouldn't want my name on it."


"Jock is dead," JR grunted. "Bobby has approved. And it's what I want."


"If the goal is to protect John Ross, then not only is this the best way to do it, but I happen to think Jock would approve," Harv said.


"Do it, Harv," JR commanded. "On to the next thing. Ray and James are flying in tomorrow. I want the agreement ready when he gets here. No talking to the press, no public acknowledgement. The paternity test will be done by Dr. Parks at Dallas Memorial. We can trust him to be accurate and to keep his mouth shut."


"The agreement will be ready. I'll set the test up too. Medicine has really advance since John Ross was… err..in the last several years. You should have the results in 48 hours."


"Good."


"Anything else, JR?"


"No, Harv. Thanks for coming by."


"Always a pleasure," Harv said, standing up. "Sue Elllen," he nodded to her on his way out the door.


"When did you have time to decide to do this and to talk to Bobby about it?"


"This morning," JR shrugged. "Decided it in the shower and talked to Bobby at breakfast."


"You should have told me."


"Maybe, but if I had, you would have fought me and I wouldn't have had Harv with me for back up."


"JR, sometimes you are so infuriating!"


"True," JR grinned at her, "luckily for me, you love me too much not to put up with it."


Sue Ellen could help but to chuckle. "You're right, JR. I do love you. Very, very much."


***


Vanessa glanced at her watch and grimaced. The flight had already been excruciatingly long and it wasn't even halfway over.


She hated traveling to the United States. She had deliberately avoided it since James was born. It was like the wild west. The people weren't elegant or refined like they were in Europe. In many ways, JR Ewing was the best example of how she thought of Americans - rough, tough, crude, and crass. Good for brute force and rolling around in bed, but not much else.


Unfortunately, this trip couldn't be avoided. James was making a tremendous mistake. He was going to ruin his life - and more importantly hers. She had to stop him; and this was the only way she could see to do it.


***


"How did this happen, Donna?" JR raged. "How did anyone even know you had been talking to me?"


"We're family, JR," Donna sighed. "Everyone knows I was in Dallas for the ball and the wedding. There were even pictures of you and me dancing together in the society pages. As soon as Ewing Oil started buying refitting equipment, I guess someone put two and two together."


"How would anyone know about the equipment purchases?" Cliff asked thoughtfully. "Purchase orders aren't exactly public information."


"It's not exactly private either," Bobby sighed. "If anyone wanted to know what we were up to, it wouldn't be hard to find out."


"What's the bottom line, Donna?" Sue Ellen asked. "How does this affect the bill and how much trouble is Andrew in?"


"It doesn't affect the bill at all, except that now other companies know it's coming. As for Andrew, he hasn't done anything wrong. Senators often talk to their constituents about pending legislation. This is no different."


"But it looks bad," JR grimaced. "His opponent will use this to insinuate he's in our pocket."


"Sadly, yes" Donna agreed. "But that's already a campaign issue, given his family connections to the Ewings."


"Let us know what we can do to help him with his reelection," Bobby told her. "Anything we can do, consider it done."


"Thank you. We may need your help with some fundraising."


"Whatever, you need. Thanks for everything, Donna," JR said.


"Not a problem. I'll call back and check in with you guys in a few days."


"Talk to you then. Take care. And try to get home to see us soon."


"I will, JR..Talk soon."


"Bye, Donna," JR reached out and pressed the button to hang up the phone.


"Does this do us any damage?" Cliff wondered.


"It crunches our time," JR answered. "If it's out, other companies are going to start making the same moves we are."


"Not necessarily, JR," Sue Ellen spoke up. "Are we sure the bill is going to pass?"


"No doubt about it."


"Okay, but what if we had a way to hold it up? To make it look as if it is in danger of dying before it gets to the floor?"


"How would we do that?" Cliff asked.


"JR," Sue Ellen turned her gaze on him. "Andrew is our junior senator. I think it might be productive to invite our senior senator for dinner. Doesn't he owe you a favor?"


JR's eyes widened. "Yes. Yes he does."


"Time to call it in," Sue Ellen smiled.


JR shook his head and looked admiringly at his wife. "Miss Texas, you are a genius."


***


"Are you nervous?"


"Yes. Very," Afton admitted.


April patted her on the shoulder. "It will be fine. Try not to worry."


Afton started to respond, but the doorbell rang.


"Guess they're here," she got up to answer the door. Lucy and Mitch were on the other side. Mitch held Pammy in his arms.


"Hi, Afton," he said.


"Mitch," Afton nodded and moved aside so they could come into the apartment.


"Good morning, April," Lucy greeted her friend.


"Hey, Lucy," April smiled at her.


"Would you like to see her room?" Afton asked her brother.


"Yes. Thank you."


Afton led Lucy and Mitch to the nursery. Mitch sat Pammy down on the floor. The little girl sat quietly, not moving at all.


"This is incredible, Afton," he said looking around. "It's perfect for her."


"Thank you, Mitch."


"You and Cliff understand my terms, right? I get to approve her doctors and therapists. I can drop by anytime I want - unannounced. And you do a drug test every thirty days. A year from now, if she is happy and healthy and you're clean we'll talk about me giving up all custodial claim to her."


"We understand."


"Do you agree?"


"Yes, Mitch. We agree."


Mitch nodded and crouched down in front of Pammy. "Uncle Mitch has to go away for a few days. You're going to stay here with Mommy. I'll be back to see you soon."


Pammy didn't respond. She looked around the room and crawled over to a stack of brightly colored blocks in the corner.


"She'll be fine, Mitch," Afton promised. "I'll take good care of her."


Mitch looked up at her, wanting to respond, but his attention was drawn back to Pammy when she raised her hand. Mitch realized she was trying to point at Afton. "Mommy, play."


Mitch gasped in shock. Afton's hand flew to her mouth and she inhaled deeply.


"Oh, my God," Lucy breathed out.


Pammy was almost four years old. She had never spoken one word. Now she sat on the floor, surrounded by toys, and was asking her mother to play with her.


"Mommy, play?" Pammy said again, softer this time.


"Yes, baby," Afton moved quickly to join her daughter on the floor, tears of joy and wonder sliding down her cheeks. "Oh, yes, baby! Mommy play!"


***


"Mrs. Ewing?" Sly stuck her head into Sue Ellen"s office. "Crystal is here."


"Thank you, Sly. Please send her in. Oh, and please call me Sue Ellen."


"Yes, ma'am," Sly smiled.


Sue Ellen stood and walked around her desk. She moved forward when Sly led Crystal into her office and hugged the younger women. "It's wonderful to see you again. You look lovely!"


"Thank you, Mrs. Ewing," Crystal blushed. "You look beautiful just like always."


"Can I get the two of you anything?" Sly asked.


Sue Ellen and Crystal both shook their heads and Sly disappeared behind the closed office door.


"How have you been?" Sue Ellen asked.


"Just fine. Daddy has been taking good care of me. Thank you so much for paying off the mortgage on the restaurant. It's made things so much easier for us."


"Of course. It's the least JR and I could do for you."


Crystal nodded. "Why did you want to see me?"


"Well, JR and Bobby have given me this office here at Ewing Oil and I'll be working here part time. My former secretary, Kelly, found other employment after I closed my Valentine offices, so I'm afraid I find myself without an assistant. I was wondering if you were interested in the job."


"Oh...Mrs. Ewing…"


"The salary is fair. And it comes with full benefits."


"But, I don't know anything about being a real assistant. I was only ever a receptionist."


"Sly and Phyllis can train you. You're smart and trustworthy and perfect for the job."


"Do you really think so?"


"I do. I wouldn't offer it to you if I didn't."


"Okay, Mrs. Ewing. I'd love to work here for you."


"Wonderful!" Sue Ellen gushed.


There was a brief knock at the door and JR sauntered into the office. "Alright, Miss Texas, if you want to have lunch before we take Pam and the kids to the house we better get moving…." his words trailed off when he saw Crystal. "Hello, young lady. I hear you might be joining us here at Ewing Oil."


"Yes, sir," Crystal smiled and stood.


"Good," JR told her.


"You can start Monday, Crystal," Sue Ellen told her. "Sly has all your paperwork. You can speak to her about it on the way out."


"Thank you," Crystal beamed. "Thank you both so much."


Sue Ellen and JR both smiled and nodded as Crystal collected her purse and left the office.


"I hope I didn't just make a huge mistake," Sue Ellen muttered under her breath.


"Why? Because she's so pretty and offered to sleep with me once?"


Sue Ellen shrugged but said nothing.


JR grinned and walked over to lean on her desk in front of her chair. "You are going to have a problem with me lusting after a woman at the office you know."


Sue Ellen's eyes darkened and narrowed to tiny slits. "Is that so, JR?"


"Oh yes. I am so horny right now I can barely stand," he told her. "See, I was sitting over in my office signing some loan papers and it suddenly occurred to me that the sexiest woman I have ever known was sitting at her desk in an office just a couple doors down. Then I started thinking about all the things I wanted to do to her on that desk. Lost all concentration on the loan papers."


"JR…"


"You have nothing to worry about. Crystal never wanted me. She was only flirting because Wendell was forcing her to. After everything you've done for her, she adores you and will be totally loyal to you. Besides," he reached out, grabbed her hand, and pulled her out of her chair to rest against his body. "Even if she did want me, which she doesn't, she could walk into my office buck naked and bent over and it wouldn't matter. I only have so much lust in my heart, Sue Ellen and it's all saved for you."


"Is that a fact?" Sue Ellen teased him. "Why don't you tell me more about my desk and what you want to do to me on it."


JR growled and reached over to press the intercom button on her phone. "Sly? No interruptions. None. No calls, not knocks, and if Bobby gets within 5 feet of the door, tackle him."


"JR!" Sue Ellen gasped. "I wasn't serious! I was only teasing!"


"Never tease me unless you're prepared to REALLY tease me, Miss Texas."


***
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Oh I love it!!!!! There’s my Lobsters!!!! Love them so so much!!!!!!

:for::heart:

Afton and Vanessa can get bent.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Loved the meeting with Harv and everything JR is willing to do for his (and our) girl.
Loved Ray's chat with James aswell he is fast becoming my favourite of JR's brothers (sorry Gary and Bobby).
And as for Vanessa and Afton, see above/below,

She hated traveling to the United States. She had deliberately avoided it since James was born. It was like the wild west. The people weren't elegant or refined like they were in Europe. In many ways, JR Ewing was the best example of how she thought of Americans - rough, tough, crude, and crass. Good for brute force and rolling around in bed, but not much else.

Unfortunately, this trip couldn't be avoided. James was making a tremendous mistake. He was going to ruin his life - and more importantly hers. She had to stop him; and this was the only way she could see to do it.

I can't believe (no actually I can) Vanessa's nerve and hypocrisy here. The woman doesn't have an drop of real class or elegance in her.

Still don't care about Afton, but happy Mitch told her what's what.
Pammy is adorable though and so cool to see her communicate a little.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Tell you what Vanessa, the US doesn't care for you either. Why don't you take a parachute (or not I REALLY don't care) jump out and land somewhere close to the wreck of the Titanic.

But not ON it, because I'm from Belfast and we don't want you anywhere near her.
 
Top