What If

K

Karin Schill

Guest
I'm sorry to hear that the story is starting to come to an end. It's been an amazing journey with lots of ups and downs. :10:

But I'm glad to see that things are working out for so many of the characters.

I love how JR/SE has both matured and learnt from their mistakes and have a solid marriage now. :)

That part when Pammy finally said her first words was just so touching. :love4:
I guess that means she will learn to talk a little at least. I have read that some kids with autism never speak at all. :(

April & Jack have worked out things too as has Bobby & Pam and Cliff & Afton. So they are all at good places.

I wonder if James and Michelle's paths will ever cross?

Great also how Afton told April to go find Michelle before she gets herself into trouble.

Vanessa that evil bitch! I hope JR or Sue Ellen gets a chance to put her in her place when she blows into town! :D
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
@Karin Schill , thank you for your feedback all the way through this fic. You and @Sarah and @Honkytonkangel and @Miss Texas 1967 have ALL made me rethink some things and it actually resulted in some changes in the story itself. I appreciate it so much!

Autism is so unpredictable. The spectrum is so big. Some kids are brilliant but socially awkward. Some kids are nonverbal forever. Some are intellectually disabled. Since this is a fic and everyone gets a happy ending, I think Pammy will be okay.

My own daughter is autistic. Her peers are all diagnosed with the same disease, but they all are so different. Like I said, the spectrum is huge.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 88


***


"What do you want?" Michelle snapped, seeing Cliff standing in the hallway outside her hotel room. "My big sister send you over here to threaten me?"


"No," Cliff responded cooly. "She sent me over here to help you."


Michelle rolled her eyes and stepped away from the door, allowing him to enter the room. "What do you want?" she repeated.


"Just to give you some advice and then maybe some help if you want it. Can I have a seat?"


Michelle shrugged and pointed to the sofa. Cliff sat down and took a deep breath. "First of all, you need to know your sister loves you. If she didn't, I wouldn't be here. Secondly, I don't care about your plots and schemes. All I'll say is this - the Ewings are dangerous people. If you force April to tell them the truth about you, you won't be able to have one minutes peace for the rest of your life. Third, there's a way out of this for you, but you have to want it."


"Really? And what exactly is that way out?"


"Get a job. I'll give you one at Weststar. Make your own way. Apologize to your sister, make an effort to repair that relationship. Stay on the straight and narrow. Your only other option is to leave town."


"Leave town?"


"Yeah," Cliff said, standing up. "You have 48 hours to decide. Understand, you make the wrong choice, April calls Sue Ellen. If that happens JR and I will be your worst nightmare."


"You?"


"Yes, Michelle, me. JR will hurt you for Sue Ellen. I'll hurt you for April. And neither of us are men of strong consciences. Think it over. If I don't hear from you in 48 hours, it's war."


***


"When did you become such a huge football fan?" Pam asked Christopher, eyeing the blue and silver Dallas Cowboy decor of his new bedroom.


"Uncle JR takes me and John Ross to games sometimes," Christopher told her. "It's really fun!"


"I don't know anything about football," Pam confessed. "You'll have to teach me so I can watch with you."


"That would be awesome!" Christopher smiled. "Do you like my room, Mommy?"


"I love it! I'm glad Uncle JR and Aunt Sue Ellen gave your own room."


"You won't mind if I sleep over a lot?"


Pam squatted down and looked into his eyes. "I'll miss you. But I'll be right next door and you and John Ross will have so much fun. So no. I don't mind at all."


Christopher's smile grew wider. He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a big hug. "I love you, Mommy. I'm so glad you came home."


"Me too," Pam closed her eyes and held him tightly. "Me too, baby."


***


"Excuse me, is Mr. Ewing in?"


Sly looked up from her desk and smiled. "Which Mr. Ewing?"


"JR."


"I'm sorry. He's already left for the day. Would you like to leave your name and make an appointment for tomorrow?"


"I… I'm afraid what I have to speak to him about is very time sensitive. You said there is another Mr. Ewing in?"


"Yes. Bobby Ewing is in his office."


"May I see him?"


"One moment. I'll see if he's available. May I have your name?"


"Beaumont. Vanessa Beaumont."


***


"Hello?"


"Hi, honey. How's your day going?"


"Wonderful," April grinned, happy to hear Jack's voice. "I woke up early, but in a fabulous mood."


"Oh yeah?" Jack laughed. "Want to talk about what put you in such a fabulous mood?"


"I want to do more than talk about. Hoping to reenact it later tonight."


"About that…"


"Oh, Jack. Please don't tell me you can't see me tonight."


"I can and I will," he laughed. "But Clayton and Miss Ellie are insisting you come to Southfork for dinner. I told them you might want to have dinner alone."


"I do want to have dinner alone," April sighed, "but I don't want to tell Miss Ellie no."


"Me either. We can beg off during after dinner drinks and head back to your place though."


"Sounds like a plan," April agreed. "I'll see you at Southfork later then."


"Can't wait," Jack said. "I already miss you."


"Good. Because I already miss you too."


***


"I'm home!" Cliff came through the front door and loosened his tie. "Afton?"


He glanced around and wondered if she had gone out. He hadn't warned her he would be home early. He walked into the bedroom and stopped dead in his tracks when he looked at the bed. She was there. Sound asleep. Wrapped in her arms was a tiny, blonde haired little girl. "Oh my, God."


He stumbled backwards and hit the door frame. Afton and Pammy both woke up at the noise. Afton pulled Pammy into her lap and stroked her hair to soothe her. "Cliff?" she whispered. "What are you doing home? I was going to call you and tell you…"


Cliff shook his head and tried to steady himself on his weak legs. "Pammy?" he choked out.


"Yes. Mitch brought her over earlier. She's here to stay, Cliff."


Cliff slowly approached the bed. He sat down deliberately, quietly on the edge, taking care not to startle the little girl. "I… oh, my gosh…"


Afton leaned over and kissed his cheek. "It's okay, Cliff." She shifted Pammy on her lap so she was facing Cliff. "Pammy? This is your daddy."


Pammy didn't say anything. She didn't make a sound. She looked up at her mother, back at Cliff, then settled down close against Afton's chest.


"She's beautiful,* Cliff breathed out. "Just like her mother."


***


"Hello? Oh, hi honey!" Pam said into the phone, "We had the best time over at the new house! It's beautiful and Sue Ellen…. What? They're right here. No. Bobby, what's wrong? Okay."


"It's Bobby. He wants to talk to JR. He said it's an emergency."


JR jumped off the couch and grabbed the phone. "Yeah, Bob, what's wrong?" JR was silent as he listened to the response. "Hang on. Sue Ellen is right here. She'll want to hear this. Putting you on speaker."


JR pushed the speaker button and hung up the receiver. "Okay, Bob. Go ahead."


"JR, you need to come back to the office right now. Vanessa Beaumont is here. She's refusing to leave without talking to you."


"Call security and have her ass thrown out," JR snapped.


"When I said I was going to do that she threatened to go to the press with a story about a Ewing love child."


Sue Ellen gasped and her hand flew to her mouth. She shook her head at JR. "We can't have that!"


"Did she say why she wanted to talk to me?"


"Only that she believes she has a solution to your mutual problem."


"The problem being James I suppose."


"Yes. What do you want me to do, JR?"


JR looked at Sue Ellen and raised his eyebrows at her in a silent question.


Sue Ellen looked stricken, almost sick. She sucked in a deep breath and forced herself to speak. "Tell her JR will be there in 30 minutes."


"You sure, Sue Ellen? JR asked.


"I'm sure," she replied in a shaky voice. "She hasn't given us any other choice, has she?"


***


April opened her front door and her eyes widened in surprise. "Hi. Please, come in."


Michelle nodded and moved into the apartment. "Cliff paid me a visit today.,"


"Yes. He told me."


"Did he tell you what he said to me."


"Not really," April shrugged. "He just said he tried to talk sense to you and he asked me to give you some time to think about what he said before I called Sue Ellen."


"He offered me a job at Weststar. I'm thinking of taking him up on the offer."


"Why? Decide to give up on the fold digging?"


Michelle lowered her eyes to the floor and sighed. "Yes. Cliff will probably think it's because he threatened me, but it's not."


"Then why?"


"I don't know. Just been thinking." She raised her head and settled her gaze on April's face. "I've been jealous of you my whole life. I always wanted whatever you had. First it was silly girl stuff. Dolls and bikes and clothes. Then it was Jack. Now it's success and money. It made me angry...furious really that all that money just dropped onto your lap. You didn't even have to work for it. I figured if you could live off the Ewings, I could too."


"Michelle…"


Michelle held up her hand to stop her. "Please let me finish. I know my little scheme won't work. Even if you hadn't caught me red handed, it wouldn't have worked. You finding out what I was up to probably saved me a whole lot of trouble and heartache. April…" she struggled to find the right words,"I'm sorry. For Jack, for coming back into your life and causing so much havoc for you. I've been a selfish, petty brat my whole life. I'd like to try to change. I guess I came over here to ask you if you would be willing to give me a chance - and maybe help me along the way a little."


"You're my sister, Michelle. I love you. I'll do anything I can to help you - if you're truly sincere about getting your life together. Have a seat. I'll make some coffee. You and I need to have a very long talk."


***


"You didn't say one word during the entire drive from Southfork."


Sue Ellen turned her head away from the window and looked at her husband. They were in the parking garage at the Ewing Building, getting ready to go inside and face Vanessa.


"I guess I've just been silently gathering my courage," she finally said.


"Courage?" JR repeated.


"Is she beautiful, JR?"


"Sue Ellen…"


"Is she?"


"I don't know, honey," he sighed. "You seem to keep forgetting I haven't laid eyes on the woman in over 20 years."


"Alright. WAS she beautiful?"


JR shifted his body so that he could look her in the eyes and reach out and take her hand. "Yes. She was. That shouldn't surprise you. You know I have always been attracted to beautiful women."


"Yes," Sue Ellen whispered softly.


"Sue Ellen, what are you afraid of?"


Sue Ellen was quiet for a few minutes before answering. "JR - all the women who've come between, as hurt and angry as I was about your cheating, I was never worried that you loved them - until Mandy. She was my worst nightmare. Not because she was young and beautiful, but because you cared for her."


"And I walked away from her for you. I chose you, Sue Ellen."


"Yes," Sue Ellen laughed bitterly. "But only after quite a bit of protesting and kicking and screaming."


"You were kicking and screaming just as hard," he reminded her. "Harder, actually. I thought we agreed that Mandy was in the past and we didn't need to keep rehashing it."


"We did," she agreed, "but now…"


"What?" he pressed her.


"In your life, JR, you have only loved three women. Me, Mandy, and Vanessa. Now that Vanessa is back in your life… what if all those old feelings get stirred up when you see her? What if you see her and want her again?"


JR sighed heavily and turned away from her. He grumbled under his breath, jerked his car door open, slammed it shut, stalked over to the passenger side, and jerked open the door. "Listen here, Miss Texas," he growled, squatting down in front of her seat so his eyes were level with hers. "Stop. Just stop it. I never loved Mandy. Yes, I cared for her once, but that's been over for a long time and I told you before - I let her go, NOT you. And I have NEVER regretted that decision. Not once. Not even when we were fighting and separated."


"I know, JR, but…"


"Let me finish," he interrupted. "As for Vanessa, yeah. It's true I believed I loved her. I was young and infatuated and stupid. When she refused to divorce her husband and ran back to England I was crushed. Moped around for months. Then one night, I judged a beauty contest. I saw you honey. From that moment on, I never even thought about Vanessa again. Vanessa isn't some long lost love, honey. She's a bullet I dodged. If she had left her husband and married me I would have never met the true love of my life. Her going back to England was the biggest favor anyone has ever done for me in my life. Do you understand?"


"Yes," Sue Ellen choked out, tears welling up in her eyes. "Thank you, JR. I needed to hear you say that."


"I know you did, honey," he leaned forward and kissed her, thoroughly, but gently. "I love you, Sue Ellen. I told you once that it's always been you. I'm telling you that again now. Come on," he stood up straight and held his hand out to her, " let's go on up and get this over with so we can go home and you can let me love all your doubts away."


***


"They should be at the office by now," Patricia said worriedly. "I hope everything is going alright."


"I don't know if it was a good idea for Sue Ellen to go with JR," Pam said. "She looked so upset when they left."


"I'd be upset too," Lucy grumbled. "It's bad enough to have a grown son appear out of the blue, but now his mother too? It's a lot to have to handle. Especially considering how sick Sue Ellen has been."


"I'm very worried about how Sue Ellen is going to handle it all," Patricia sighed. "She's been so fragile lately."


"Sue Ellen isn't fragile," Ellie finally spoke. A small smile came to her lips as she watched John Ross and Christopher aim their water guns at Cayton, who was unsuspectingly walking from the kitchen onto the patio. She didn't warn him, and within seconds he was soaked to the bone. She burst out laughing when he ran to the edge of the pool, grabbed both guns, and turned them on the boys who dove under the water to avoid the assault.


"Sue Ellen will be fine," she said, turning her attention back to the other women. "She will rise to support her husband and protect her children, as she always does. You should all have more faith in her. She's put her past weaknesses behind her and has grown into the strongest woman in this family."


"Except for you, Grandma," Lucy smiled at her. "You'll always be our rock."


"Yes. But I won't always be here," Ellie said softly. "And when I'm gone, I know it will be Sue Ellen what holds you all together. Don't sell that woman short. She is a force of nature. And whatever happens at Ewing Oil this afternoon, she'll handle it with strength and dignity. I have no doubt about that. Not one single doubt."


***


"I wasn't expecting you to bring your wife, JR," Vanessa complained. "You and I need to speak in private."


"We speak in front of my wife or we don't speak at all," JR said firmly.


Sue Ellen quietly studied the other woman. She was lovely, but nothing like Sue Ellen had imagined. There was no spark at all between Vanessa and JR.


"Do you want me to leave and give the three of you some privacy?" Bobby spoke up.


"No," JR answered. "Stay right where you are. Vanessa, my patience is limited. You insisted on this meeting. Get to your point and get out."


"Fine, JR. I understand you and James are going to be having a paternity test done and that you chose the doctor who will be doing it."


"How did you know that?" JR demanded.


"It doesn't matter how I know," Vanessa laughed. "What matters is that you can control the results."


"What?"


"Tell your doctor that James can't be your son. Make sure he manipulates the results if necessary."


"If?" JR repeated. "Your husband has already been eliminated as a possible father. How is there an "if," Vanessa? Were you sleeping with another man in addition to me and your husband?"


"What possible difference does that make, JR? The fact is that a blood test done all those years ago may be inaccurate. Allister could be James's natural father. As I told you before, paternity doesn't matter. Allister is the only father James has. This insistence on finding a truth that doesn't even matter will destroy his life; more importantly, it will destroy my life."


"What do you mean?" Sue Ellen spoke to her for the first time.


Vanessa turned her gaze on Sue Ellen and narrowed her eyes. "There's more at stake here than my son's fantasy about being in a "real" family. A fortune is on the line. If it turns out that James doesn't belong to Allister, my brother-in-law will see that James and I both are left penniless. James is free to make that choice - he's already made it so far as I'm concerned. But I won't allow him to make that choice for me." She turned her eyes back to JR. "You make sure the paternity test comes back excluding you as the father."


"And then what?" JR asked.


"Then this all ceases to be your problem," Vanessa shrugged.


"If he's my son I want to know."


"Fine. Let the doctor tell YOU the truth. But James can never know. Let me be clear, if you are interested in a happy family reunion, just put it out of your head. Do as I've asked. If you don't, I will personally make certain that your pretty wife over there has to endure the biggest scandal in the history of Texas. It will be in all the papers, JR. How you forced yourself on a poor, naive married woman. How she ran away in fear and hid from you for over twenty years. How you forced your way back into her life by claiming paternity of her son."


"None of that is true," JR shot back.


"The truth doesn't matter and you know it," Vanessa laughed. "The only thing that matters is what sells papers; and my little story will sell a ton of them."


"And what about your son?" JR asked incredulously. "What about how all this affects him?"


"James has given up the right to have me give even the slightest damn about what happens to him. He's on his own."


JR sucked in a deep breath and shook his head. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He turned his eyes on his wife and tried to gauge her reaction to Vanessa's threat. He wanted to tell Vanessa to go to hell, but she might be so terrified of a public scandal that she'd want to give in. Plus, as horrid as Vanessa's plan was, it would get both her and James out of Sue Ellen's life for good. Her face was totally blank and she hadn't moved a muscle. He had no idea what was going through her mind.


"Sue Ellen?" he finally said her name, his voice soft and questioning.


She looked up at him, studying his face for a moment. "No," she finally said, her voice strong and determined. "No, JR."


She stood up, squared her shoulders, and leveled her eyes on Vanessa. "What a horrible woman you are!"


"Excuse me?" Vanessa's eyes widened with shock.


"No wonder James is so determined to get away from you! What kind of mother is so callous about her own son?"


"You have no right to speak to me like that?" Vanessa protested.


"I have every right!" Sue Ellen seethed. "Who do you think you are, waltzing in here and threatening my husband? You can tell whatever wild stories you wish to whomever you wish. It won't change a thing. I don't know if JR is James's father or not. At this point, I'm not sure it even matters! That poor boy, growing up with a sociopath like you for a mother! No wonder he is so desperate for a real family!"


"Listen, you bitch…"


Sue Ellen laughed out loud. "Bitch? You haven't even scratched the surface of how bad a bitch I can be when someone threatens my family. As for James, he is welcome in mine and my husband's lives. We will NOT lie to him about the paternity test. And no matter what, we'll try to help him get over the trauma of having you as a mother! Now get out!"


"JR, have you no control over this...creature? Vanessa asked, outraged.


"You heard my wife, Vanessa. Get out. Before I throw you out."


Vanessa narrowed her eyes and stood up. "Your choice, JR. Enjoy the fallout when every news outlet in Dallas prints details of your rape of a married woman." She turned and left the office, slamming the door behind her.


"Wow," Bobby ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "How do you guys want to handle this?"


"I don't know, Bob…" JR began.


"I'll tell you EXACTLY how we're going to handle it," Sue Ellen cut in. "Bobby, call Harv Smithfield. Tell him JR is getting ready to be falsely accused of rape in the press. We need to get our story out first. Get Ray on the phone. Tell him he is to bring James straight to Southfork when they land tomorrow. JR, we need to go home and prepare the family for his arrival. Bobby, you need to talk to Pam and make her understand that the four of us need to talk to both boys together tonight to explain what's happening."


"Alright, Sue Ellen. I'll go call her now, then I'll take care of Harv and Ray. See you two at Southfork later."


When he was out of the office Sue Ellen let out a frustrated growl and stamped her foot. "That woman is vile, JR. Just absolutely vile!"


"Yes," JR agreed, trying not to grin at Sue Ellen's reaction.


"Come on, we need to get home and talk to the family."


"Alright, darlin'. I'll call a family meeting for after dinner."


"I don't want to wait until after dinner!' she stamped her foot again.


"Well, you're going to have to," JR chuckled lowly and moved to take her into his arms and pull her tightly against his body. "Feel that, Miss Texas?" he whispered against her ear, grinding his arousal against her body.


Her eyes grew wide with shock, "JR, how could you be horny at a time like this?"


"Seeing you jump up and defend me the way you did. Protecting our family. Even sticking up.for James, a young man you've never even met… can't help it darlin'. It turned me on." He captured her earlobe between his lips and sucked on it gently. "I love you, Sue Ellen," he said, moving his mouth down to nuzzle her neck. "Everyday you give me a new reason to love you more. Let me take you home and make love to you. I need you. I need to show you how much I love you."


He pressed her even more tightly against him and claimed her mouth in a deep, desperate kiss. "I need to make love to you, Sue Ellen. Will you let me, honey?"


"Yes," she breathed hotly against his mouth. "Let's go home, JR."


***
 
Last edited:

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
YES!!!!

THAT’S MY GIRL! So effing proud of you Sue Ellen!!!

Great confrontation @CeeCee72 - thank you for putting that hag in her place!!

@Honkytonkangel - heat up the iron. NO ONE calls Sue Ellen a bitch, especially someone who isn’t worthy of breathing her oxygen!!!!! :box:
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
YES!!!!

THAT’S MY GIRL! So effing proud of you Sue Ellen!!!

Great confrontation @CeeCee72 - thank you for putting that hag in her place!!

@Honkytonkangel - heat up the iron. NO ONE calls Sue Ellen a bitch, especially someone who isn’t worthy of breathing her oxygen!!!!! :box:

@Sarah - YES. Already on it. She's getting more than one though. After that little performance I'm sticking one in every damn hole I can.

I'm so proud of our girl too. LOVED how she took care of :tv: Beaumont and what needed to be done, and how she remained so classy doing it cos I would've knocked the hag out.
She is definitely a worthy heir to Miss Ellie.

And :ll:at JR's reaction to Sue Ellen putting the hag in her place. The horny old sod.
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Great writing :)

How can Vanessa's brother-in-law control things after the fact if Allister already knew about James' paternity and still wrote his will to leave his estate to James and Vanessa? Saying they aren't true heirs wouldn't be valid would it seeing as he'd known all along that his son wasn't his son and his wife had been unfaithful?
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Great writing :)

How can Vanessa's brother-in-law control things after the fact if Allister already knew about James' paternity and still wrote his will to leave his estate to James and Vanessa? Saying they aren't true heirs wouldn't be valid would it seeing as he'd known all along that his son wasn't his son and his wife had been unfaithful?

I thought I had explained that in a conversation between Vanessa and James, but realize that I didn't! I'll cover it in the next chapter. Thank you!
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
My own daughter is autistic. Her peers are all diagnosed with the same disease, but they all are so different. Like I said, the spectrum is huge.

True. It makes sense that you are writing about something you have experience about. How old is your daughter?

You're welcome about the feedback. I have loved reading this story! :)

Now you are making me curious who is getting married at the end.

Great that Sue Ellen put Vanessa in her place. She got what she deserved. :)
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
True. It makes sense that you are writing about something you have experience about. How old is your daughter?

You're welcome about the feedback. I have loved reading this story! :)

Now you are making me curious who is getting married at the end.

Great that Sue Ellen put Vanessa in her place. She got what she deserved. :)

My daughter is 19. She graduated from high school in June. It was a struggle, but so proud of her.

As for the wedding, I haven't made up my mind who yet... Just that someone will be getting married. It's a good way to get everyone back together and end the fic.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 89


***


"Who was that?"


Cliff hung up the phone and looked over at Afton. "JR. I have to go to Southfork."


"Is everything alright?"


"I don't think so. He's having a family meeting after dinner. He said what he had to say might affect Ewing Oil and Weststar…"


"So you have to be there," she finished for him.


"Yeah. Plus he said it would definitely affect Christopher."


"You go ahead, Cliff. Pammy and I will be fine."


"He said you were both welcome. Lucy and Sue Ellen both said it would be alright if you wanted to come."


"That's good of them. But no… I don't think I'm ready for that."


"I thought you'd feel that way. I just hate to leave you on Pammy's first night here."


"Cliff, look at her. She's happy. She's secure. We'll be fine."


Cliff looked over at his daughter, quietly coloring a butterfly at a table in the nursery. "Does she ever smile?"


"Sometimes," Afton told him. "Not very often. But it used to be never. So she's making progress. She talked for the first time today."


"Really?" Cliff beamed. "What did she say?"


"Mama, play. She was asking me to play with her."


"She's just beautiful, Afton. I think she's perfect just the way she is. Thank you."


"For what?"


"Giving me my beautiful daughter."


***


"Hey, beautiful," Jack stopped in the kitchen to drop a kiss on April's cheek.


"Hi, yourself," April laughed. "You smell like a horse!"


"Well, I DO work in a stable!" Jack winked at her. "I'll go up and take a shower. Happy you're here."


"Me too," she smiled at him.


"Oh, glad you're both in here," JR said, coming into the kitchen. "Family meeting after dinner."


"Don't worry, JR," Jack replied. "We won't be here to get in the way. We're going to April's after dinner."


"Did you not just hear me say family meeting?" JR snapped.


"Yes... normally you don't want me around for those."


"Don't be stupid, Jack. You're family aren't you? Plus you own part of Ewing Oil. You need to be there."


Jack glanced over at April who nodded. "It's fine, Jack. You can meet me at my apartment afterwards."


"Have you both been taking stupid pills today?" JR demanded. "You need to be there too, April."


"Why? I'm not family."


"Well, by the looks of things between you and Jack, you will be soon enough. Besides, the subject could affect Weststar too."


"Alright, JR," April agreed.


"Good. And take a shower, Jack. You smell like a horse."


April and Jack watched him walk out of the kitchen and into the patio then both burst out laughing. "He's in a fine mood, huh?" April giggled.


"Seems so. Hey, did things go okay with Michelle?"


"I think so. Hard to know if she's sincere, but I'm willing to give her a chance. I'm going to help her get an apartment and give her some start up money. She's coming to work at the restaurant as a hostess and assistant manager. We both felt that was a better option than her working for Cliff."


"I hope she doesn't burn you."


"Me too, Jack. But she's my sister. I have to try."


***


"So we're all in agreement?" Bobby asked. "Sue Ellen will do most of the talking?"


"Yes," Pam agreed. "I think that's best."


"They're so happy right now," Sue Ellen sighed. "I hope this doesn't change that."


"It won't," Pam said softly. "They have all of us to help them understand. Our boys are strong and smart and they'll understand."


"I hope you're right," Sue Ellen chewed on her bottom lip worriedly.


"Hey," Pam walked over to hug her sister-in-law. "I KNOW I'm right."


***


"Hello? Oh, hi, JR! How is the family? Oh, yes. Lucy told us about that. Yes, he's right here. Hold on just a second."


"It's JR," Valene handed the phone to Gary. "He wants to talk to you."


Gary took the receiver from his wife and held it up to his ear. "I'm here, JR. Uh huh. Sure. What time? Anything you need me to do? Alright. Talk to you then."


"What's going on?" Valene asked, taking the phone back and hanging it up.


"Family meeting. He wants us to be involved by telephone."


"Must be serious."


"Yes. It must be."


***


James sat in his hotel room, flipping through the channels on his television and trying to shut off his mind.


Ray had called him earlier to tell him his mother had gone to Dallas and confronted JR. She'd threatened to accuse him of rape if he didn't agree to manipulate the results of the paternity test. JR had refused. He and his wife had been so angry, they'd thrown Vanessa out of his office and told Ray to bring James straight to Southfork when they arrived in Dallas tomorrow.


James fully understood why his mother was so worried. The Brumin fortune wasn't passed down not through estate planning and wills but through a carefully constructed trust. His great-grandfather had taken great care to ensure that no one other than a Brumin would ever inherit one dime of his fortune. The wives and mothers were all well taken care of, but only if they produced heirs. Vanessa stood to lose everything.


Still, he had no sympathy for her. She created the situation with her lie. His childhood had been miserable. All of his life, he had felt like an orphan. A rich orphan, yes, but still an orphan. His father had always been cold and resentful towards him. His mother has always viewed him as nothing more than a perpetual meal ticket.


He wondered for the millionth time if things would be any different with the Ewings. Yes, their family seemed perfect from the outside looking in, but he would be an interloper. Judging from everything that Charlie and Ray had told him about JR, the key to whether or not he would accept James was how his wife reacted. He prayed she would be able to understand that he wasn't after JR's money. He didn't want to take JR away from his family. All he wanted was the opportunity to be a part of it.


***


JR stood by the window and carefully studied the reactions of John Ross and Christopher as Sue Ellen told them about James.


Sue Ellen and Pam were seated at the table in the playroom with the boys. Bobby was on the other side of the room, leaning against a bookcase.


"Do you understand what I've just told you?" Sue Ellen asked the boys.


"Yeah," John Ross answered. "I might have a brother."


"How do you feel about that?"


John Ross looked up at his mother and shrugged. "Okay, I guess. I mean, I hope he's not mean."


"Me too," Christopher piped up.


"I don't think you need to worry about that," Sue Ellen assured them. "I think he just wants to know the truth and be a part of his real family. I bet he will love you both."


"What if…" John Ross stopped.


"What is it, sweetheart?" Sue Ellen pressed him.


"What if you and daddy end up loving him more than you love me?"


Sue Ellen moved forward and took him into her arms. "That will NEVER happen, John Ross!"


JR walked over to the table and squatted down in front of his son. "Listen to me, John Ross. You're my son. Your mother and I love you more than anything in this world. Nothing will ever change that. Nothing. And that goes for you too, Christopher," he reached out and touched his nephew's arm. "You boys are always going to be the most important people in our lives. No one else could ever take your places in our hearts."


"I know it's scary," Pam said softly, speaking for the first time. "Did you know that both me and Aunt Sue Ellen were scared about me coming back to Southfork? I was scared Christopher wouldn't love me anymore because he loved Aunt Sue Ellen so much. She was afraid you wouldn't love her anymore because you had me back. But what happened?"


"I love you both!" Christopher cried out.


"Exactly," Pam smiled. "It will be the same with James. He won't take away anyone's love for you or John Ross. He'll just be loved too. Aunt Sue Ellen and Uncle JR have big hearts. There's room in there for enough love for all of you."


Sue Ellen looked at her sister-in-law and smiled a genuine, grateful smile. "Aunt Pam is right. We're a family. We always will be."


"When can we meet him?" John Ross asked.


"Tomorrow," Sue Ellen answered. "Uncle Ray is bringing him to Southfork."


"Okay," John Ross said thoughtfully. "I sure hope he likes water guns!"


"And Star Wars!" Christopher said excitedly.


"I'm sure he will," JR laughed. "I'm sure he will!"


***


JR fixed himself a drink and watched the family file into the living room.


This was going to be a difficult conversation. They all already knew about James. But now he had to tell them all that the boy would be at Southfork tomorrow and worse, he had to tell them about Vanessa's threat to accuse him of rape. He dreaded it. He was most worried about his mother's reaction..Ellie detested a scandal almost as much as Sue Ellen did.


"Thank you all for being here," he said once everyone was settled. "Ray, Gary, and Valene are with us on a conference call. It's on speaker. Can you guys hear me?"


"Yes," three voices came out of the speaker.


"Alright," JR took a deep breath. "You all know a young man surfaced in Europe recently claiming to be my son. His mother is Vanessa Beaumont. She and I had an affair many years ago - before I even met Sue Ellen."


"James produced a blood test eliminating Allister Brumin, Vanessa's husband, as his father. I agreed to take a paternity test. Ray is flying into Dallas with James tomorrow. Our original plan was for him to stay at a hotel and avoid the family until we got the results. But things have changed."


"Vanessa came to see me today. She asked me to falsify the results of the paternity test. When I refused… she…"


"She what, JR?" Ellie spoke up.


JR looked over at Sue Ellen and shook his head. How was he supposed to find the words to tell his mother that he was going to be publicly accused of rape?


Sue Ellen stood up and walked over to stand beside her husband. She put her arm around his waist and squared her shoulders. "She stands to lose her entire fortune if it turns out James is JR's son. She wanted us to lie about it - to pay the doctor to fake the test results. When we said no, she said she was going to go to the press and claim that JR raped her her all those years ago and that James is the result of that rape."


Everyone started talking at once. "Everyone hold on," JR held up his hand to stop the chatter. "I want all of you to know I never raped a woman in my life, least of all Vanessa."


"We know that, JR!" Clayton waved his hand dismissively. "What we want to know is what we're going to do about this!"


"We've contacted Harv Smithfield," Sue Ellen told them. "He's going to help us with the public fallout."


"You need to sue the bitch for slander," Lucy growled.


"Yes, that's one option," JR nodded. "I won't sugar coat this though. It's going to be ugly. I will be dragged through the mud. My personal life will be under a microscope and we all know they're going to find plenty of mud to sling at me. It will affect everyone in this room. And Ewing Oil might suffer if no one wants to do business with me. Weststar stock might take a hit because of my association with it. This could get very bad for us all, very quickly. The press will be all over all of you. Wanting quotes. Asking for comments. It's going to be a pressure cooker."


"And James? What about him? Where will he be?" Ellie asked.


"Here with us," Sue Ellen said firmly. "We can't leave him out there all alone. The press will destroy him. And Vanessa can get to him too."


"And you're alright with that?" Ellie pressed her.


"Yes," Sue Ellen said evenly. "He isn't to blame for any of this."


"Ray?" Gary's voice came from the phone. "You've spent time with this young man. What's your impression of him?"


"He started out on a bad foot with me," Ray answered. "He got close to Charlie to figure out a way to get to JR. But he couldn't bring himself to use her that way. He's messed up. Had a horrible childhood. He was brought up to lie and scheme to get what he wanted. But I honestly think he has a good heart. He just wants to know who his father is and to get to know his family. I truly believe that."


"I agree with Sue Ellen that he should stay here,* Ellie said. "When will the paternity test be done and how long will it take to get the results?"


"The test is being done tomorrow afternoon," JR told her. "We'll have the results in a couple of days."


"Don't worry about the publicity, JR," Cliff spoke for the first time. "If Weststar and Ewing Oil take a hit, we'll ride it out."


"As far as the mudslinging goes, it's not like most of that stuff hasn't been in the press before, JR," Bobby said thoughtfully. "We'll survive."


"How much do the boys know?" Patricia asked.


"That James is coming to Southfork and why," Sue Ellen answered. "Anything else, we'll tell them when and if we have to."


Ellie stood up and walked to stand in front of JR and Sue Ellen. She hugged them both then turned to face the rest of the family. "We stand with JR," she told them all. "No one makes any comment to the press or anyone else. We circle the wagons on this. Everyone understand?"


Everyone nodded and there were "yes, ma'am" responses. "Good. This will be hard, but we'll get through it together. We're Ewings. Vanessa Beaumont has poked the wrong bear. I almost feel sorry for her. Almost."


***.


"The boys in bed?"


"Yes," Sue Ellen told her husband, coming into the bedroom and taking a nightgown out of her dresser. "They actually seem excited. Poor James better hope he's a Star Wars fan, otherwise he is in for hours of misery."


"Are you alright?" JR asked her, concern in his voice. She looked pale and tired.


"Yes," she sighed. She walked over and sat down beside him on the edge of the bed. "I was relieved to see how the family rallied around us."


"I wasn't surprised," JR chuckled. "Ewings stick together."


Sue Ellen nodded and reached out to touch his cheek. "JR… you have been so worried about me, the boys, the family...you haven't…"


"I haven't what?"


"You haven't said much about how you're feeling about all this. You're so concerned about us that I'm afraid you haven't processed your own emotions about having a new son and having to deal with Vanessa's threats."


"I don't need to process anything," JR told her. "If James is my son, I'll try to build a relationship with him and see how it goes. As for Vanessa, she can't hurt me. I don't care what she says or what anyone else thinks. I know the truth. I'm only worried about how it will affect you and the boys. I don't want you to have to deal with the rehashing of all my affairs in the papers. I don't want the boys hearing other kids calling me a rapist at school."


"I think Harv will take care of all that," Sue Ellen said softly. "And if he can't, well, we'll get over one obstacle at a time."


"You amaze me, you know that?"


"Why?"


"You could have fallen apart. There was a time you would have."


"Yes," Sue Ellen admitted. "Not anymore, JR. I am your wife. I love you. And I'm going to stand by your side and fight with you."


JR sat up and reached out to stroke her shoulder. "If you stay by my side, there's no way I can lose," he whispered in her ear. He took the nightgown from her hands and tossed it onto the floor. "You won't be needing that tonight, Miss Texas." He pulled her into his lap and lowered his head to kiss her. Sue Ellen tangled her hands in his hair and returned his kiss with deep passion. He reached over, flipped off the light and turned his entire attention on making love to the woman in his arms.


***
 
Last edited:

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Hell yes :tv:Beaumont has messed with the wrong family.
LOVE how the whole family came together here to get behind JR and Sue Ellen. It was awesome.
I also really loved how Sue Ellen and Pam worked together to tell the boys about James. That was really cool, particularly how Pam used her and Sue Ellen's fears about their relationship with Christopher to reassure them that James wouldn't change how JR and Sue Ellen felt about them.
It's kinda made me change my mind on how I wanted the paternity test to go.
I feel bad for James and what :tv:has put him through and think he deserves to have a real loving family.

Lastly, and as always and forever ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ my JR and Sue Ellen so much.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Ellie gives me the chills when she lays down the law. And my Sue Ellen - so proud! She is a worthy Queen of Southfork.

Wonderful update but I really hope James isn’t JRs son. I love that only Sue Ellen gave him his boy.

The Ewing’s really are uniting. Imagine Pam saying JR has a good heart! Wonders will never cease!!!
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Ellie gives me the chills when she lays down the law. And my Sue Ellen - so proud! She is a worthy Queen of Southfork.

Wonderful update but I really hope James isn’t JRs son. I love that only Sue Ellen gave him his boy.

The Ewing’s really are uniting. Imagine Pam saying JR has a good heart! Wonders will never cease!!!

Totally agree as usual (now that I've thought some more lol).
I surprised myself by wavering on the results of the paternity for a while, but you are right about our girl.
Can the Ewings kinda 'unofficially' adopt him? I do love that he's away from :tv:poison, but I don't want him to be all alone now (it's really weird in fanfic to have sympathy and like for characters you hated/disliked in the show).
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I have to be honest, sorry call me the Ice Queen, but I have no love or sympathy for James, Afton or Michelle.

None.

Sorry. They can all go back to whatever rock they crawled out from.

Sorry.

(I'm not sorry at all, I will protect Sue Ellen by force if necessary :rolleyes: )
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I have to be honest, sorry call me the Ice Queen, but I have no love or sympathy for James, Afton or Michelle.

None.

Sorry. They can all go back to whatever rock they crawled out from.

Sorry.

(I'm not sorry at all, I will protect Sue Ellen by force if necessary :rolleyes: )

You go Girl :h1:

If I could use all the ratings (except disagree) here I would and my hatred for the hag may be fueling some sympathy for James and clouding my judgement.
But yeah Afton and Michelle can go to hell and I'm right behind you to protect and defend our girl.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
My main reasoning behind this is because I have never accepted that just because JR had affairs, that there is a need for him to have children here there and everywhere. I wanted one thing to be sacred - his only son, with his true love. I never accepted James on the series and never will accept him. To me, John Ross is JR's only child. And all that rubbish about a mystery daughter can get bent as well!
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
My main reasoning behind this is because I have never accepted that just because JR had affairs, that there is a need for him to have children here there and everywhere. I wanted one thing to be sacred - his only son, with his true love. I never accepted James on the series and never will accept him. To me, John Ross is JR's only child. And all that rubbish about a mystery daughter can get bent as well!

As it should be. If only I could invent a time machine. I would go back and run over all the Dallas writers for the last few seasons until they agreed to put that shit right (especially the TNT ones and the bullshit they tried to give us)
Like I said the evilness of the hag is influencing me here, but as for James in the series, p*** off.
I don't think JR would've gone in without a glove personally so lil JRo is the only rightful heir to me too.
 
Top