What If

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I’m enjoying this story so much. Why is Mitch being made the bad guy here Afton literally destroyed his marriage and she seems to be getting her happy ever after. She didn’t even show remorse for the things she’s done.

THIS.

Thank you!!! It has always cracked me up this support of Afton who literally tried to wreck a marriage, showing no remorse for anything. So what if she’s loves Cliff? Hypocritical skank.

Ted Bundy loved his mother too.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Ok just putting this out there - no one hurts Sue Ellen - NO ONE.

But I’m thinking to clear the air for both her and myself, for purely selfish reasons dating back to 1990, a Vanessa style blow up may be necessary.

The situation should blow up. Not Vanessa. Although that’s also an option. Can’t believe I’ve had her in my head for 30 years. The dear old bag must be about 186 by now.

Oh - she could spontaneously combust and leave her cobwebs behind!!! :coffeelaugh:
 
Last edited:

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I was going to mention Eva Braun but I have some decency unlike half the people currently in my bathtub. :D
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 83


***


"I can't believe they're still up there," Jack sighed.


JR and Bobby both shrugged. Pam had gone to bed long ago and Sue Ellen and Lucy were still locked behind JR and Sue Ellen's bedroom door.


"I'm going to go on and turn in. I have to get up early for work. Plus, I promised April I'd call her."


"You and April," Bobby asked him, "that getting serious?"


"Would it bother you if it was?" Jack shot back.


"No," Bobby answered evenly. "No it wouldn't. Not anymore."


Jack studied the other man carefully for a few minutes before responding. "I'm glad to hear that, Bobby, because, yes. Yes, it is getting serious. You're family and I don't want any trouble. But I love her. And I'll fight you for her if it comes to that."


"It won't come to that," Bobby promised. "April is a fine woman and I care for her, but only as a friend. That won't change."


"Good," Jack nodded. "Goodnight."


JR waited until Jack disappeared up the stairs then grunted softly, "What you said true, Bob? No more interest in April?"


"If things were different, maybe it would have worked out. But you saw Pam and Christopher today. That's where my future is. It can't ever be with anyone else. Not even April."


"Pam has always been the one for you. Might be hard to get it all back on track, but it's good to know you realize it."


"True love can't be so easily pushed away, can it? Just like with you and Sue Ellen."


JR frowned and got up to make another drink.


"Uh oh," Bobby sighed, noting the sour look on JR's face. "Trouble in paradise?"


"No. Not exactly."


"But?"


"But when that woman took me back, I knew she was always going to have trust issues. I don't blame her one bit, not with all the times I've cheated on her. I knew it was going to be a constant struggle to prove my faithfulness. And don't get me wrong, I will. But it's getting really frustrating."


"What do you mean?"


"Oh, she's accused me of having the hots for everyone from Valene to Michelle. Tonight some woman called the house and wouldn't leave a name and Sue Ellen got suspicious. It's getting old. I'm home every night. I make love to her multiple times a day. What else can I do?"


"Give her time," Bobby advised. "Listen, you can get frustrated all you want, but this is all your fault. How many times have you two been happy and loving and making love everyday like rabbits only for her to come across some other bimbo in your bed? Hell, JR, I wouldn't trust you either. Your damn lucky she even attempts to believe you!"


"Yes," JR admitted. "I know. I don't blame her. It's just her jealousy is so over the top right now. And there is actually something I need to tell her, but I'm so scared about how she'll react I can't seem to get the courage up."


"What, JR? Please tell me there isn't already someone else."


"Of course not! There won't ever be another woman, Bobby, not ever again. But a woman from my past, from WAY back in my past has resurfaced. And it's possible she and I have a child."


"What?" Bobby was so shocked he nearly choked on his drink. "What woman? What child?"


"You happen to remember Vanessa Beaumont?"


"Who?"


"The English lady. From back in my college days."


"Oh, the married woman that Daddy threatened to disown you over?"


"Yeah. Turns out she has a son that thinks I might be his real father."


"He'd have to be what...in his early twenties by now?"


"Yeah. And he recently found out about me and his mother and our affair. I wish I could deny it, Bob, but the fact is he could very well be my son."


"How did you find out about this, JR?" Bobby questioned him. "And how long have you known about it?"


"I'd like to know the answers to those questions too, my love," Sue Ellen said from the foyer.


JR and Bobby both almost jumped out of their skins at the sound of her voice.


"Now, honey…" JR began tentatively.


"Don't you dare 'honey' me," Sue Ellen spat at him. "Was that her on the phone tonight? Was it the mother of your child calling to see if you were available to chat about old times?"


JR moved forward and tried to take her hand, "Sue Ellen, please…"


"Don't touch me, JR!" she seethed, snatching her hand away from him "You promised me! No more lies, no more secrets! How could you? God! I can't stand the thought of you touching me right now!"


She turned and ran up the stairs. JR and Bobby noticed Lucy for the first time. She had been standing behind Sue Ellen and had heard the whole thing.


"Don't you dare say I told you so," JR said to her.


"Don't worry, JR," Lucy said softly. "I don't have it in me."


"Wait," Bobby raised his eyebrows at Lucy, "you knew about this?"


"Yes," Lucy conceded. "I guess it's my turn to go give a shoulder for her to cry on. Better make some coffee, JR. I'm afraid this is going to be a very long night."


***


"I have no idea what's going on," Jack said into the phone. "Between the drama with Lucy tonight and whatever the hell that was between JR and Sue Ellen in the living room after, I just decided to come upstairs, shut my door, and pretend I never saw a thing."


"God, I hate to hear that JR and Sue Ellen are fighting again. Poor Sue Ellen."


"Poor me!" Jack moaned. "I'm the one you should feel sorry for! I have to live here!"


April laughed. "Poor baby."


"That's more like it,"Jack grinned. "So, still want me to come for dinner tomorrow night?"


"Yes. Can you?"


"Yes. I'll even put up with Cliff and Michelle together in the same room if it means getting to spend some time with you."


"Jack .."


"Yes?"


"I just… well, I think I have fallen back in love with you. Goodnight."


The line went dead before he could respond. He smiled a wide smile and hung up the phone. "I love you too, April," he said to himself.


***


"Sounds like an exciting night at Southfork," Michelle remarked casually after her sister hung up the phone.


"Yes. And not in a good way."


"I know you're pretty close to Sue Ellen and Lucy. You must be worried. Want to talk about it?"


"No. I don't even know what happened, really. I'll call Sue Ellen in the morning. I just hope JR hasn't broken her heart again."


"Yes. They seem so happy together. Would be a shame to see them split."


"Oh. They won't split. Not for good anyway. But things could get messy. Anyway, I don't want to talk about them. I want to talk about me and Jack. Michelle, I think we're really heading in the right direction. I'm so excited!"


Michelle smiled at her sister and pretended to listen to her prattle on about Jack, but her mind was on the news that JR and Sue Ellen were fighting. Taking JR from his wife was going to end up being no challenge for her at all. Easy as taking candy from a baby.


***


"Stop it, Lucy!" Sue Ellen put her hands over her ears. "I don't want to hear one more word!"


"But, Sue Ellen…"


"Not. One. More. Word." Sue Ellen growled. "I won't have you up here defending him. He is a grown damn man and can speak for himself!"


"Well, to be fair, you didn't exactly give him a chance to speak."


"Because I am so furious I want to break his neck! How dare he? How dare that man lie to me again? After all the promises we made to each other!"


"He just wasn't sure you could handle it…"


"What did I JUST tell you! I don't want to hear it!"


"Sorry, Sue Ellen," Lucy dropped her gaze to the floor.


"Lucy, I need to be alone for a little while, okay? I just need to think."


"Okay, Sue Ellen." Lucy got up off the bed and moved towards the door. "I'm here if you need me. I love you."


"I know," Sue Ellen attempted a small smile. "I love you too."


Sue Ellen waited for Lucy to leave the room then got up and walked to the window. "You bastard," she said under her breath. "I'll be damned if I let you do this to me again!"


***


"So, were you just venting? Or do you want to know what I think?"


It was early morning. The sun was coming up and neither JR nor Lucy had been to bed. They kept waiting for Sue Ellen to reappear in an explosion of hormonal anger and accusations, but she never did.


"By all means, JR. Let me have it."


"Mitch was a real bastard to you last night. He deserved the punch Bobby gave him. But there's some truth to what he said."


"Really? You think I'm a spoiled, entitled, selfish brat who never cared about anyone but herself?"


"You have your moments," JR chuckled, "same as the rest of us. But no. I don't think you're those things. But hell honey, I helped raise you. And I helped damage you. I know we made things hard for you, keeping you away from your parents. And we tried to make up for it by giving you material things instead of the discipline and tough love you needed "


"So you DO think I'm a spoiled brat!"


"I think you could have very easily turned into one. And I think you wear your sarcasm and your tart tongue like a shield to keep yourself from getting hurt. It doesn't bother me, because I know you. But Mitch? Mitch is a man, honey. You wound his pride, he strikes back. That's just the way it is."


"He says he loves me. But he doesn't really know me at all."


"And who's fault is that? Did you bother to tell him that you wanting to stay at Southfork wasn't because of wealth and privilege, but because you love your family and need their emotional support? Did you tell him the reason you didn't want to step up and raise Pammy is because you truly believe in your heart that Cliff and Afton will both be good parents and you have personally had to deal with the consequences of being taken away from parents who loved you?"


"Well, no… but I shouldn't have to say those things, JR! He should know!"


"How would he know, honey, if you never bothered to tell him?"


Lucy was quiet for a few minutes as she turned his words over in her mind. "You know what, JR?"


"What?'


"I hate it when you're right."


JR laughed and poured himself another cup of coffee.


"Well?" Lucy prodded him.


"Well what?"


"What are you going to do about Sue Ellen?"


"I honestly have no idea," JR sighed. "But I am going to have to go up and take a shower and get ready for work. If I'm not back in an hour, assume she killed me."


"Good morning, you two," Ellie said brightly, coming into the kitchen, followed closely by Clayton. "My you're both up early. Did you get the car trouble straightened out?"


"Car trouble?" Lucy repeated.


"Yes, Mama. Everything's fine. I need to get moving and get to the office. Don't you need to come upstairs and… check on something, Lucy?"


"Um yeah," Lucy nodded and followed JR from the room.


Ellie smiled into her coffee cup and winked at Clayton.


"Ellie, you're not going to tell them you heard all the commotion and the crying and the arguing last night?"


"Nope. I am going to stay out of it and let them handle it."


"Good for you," Clayton laughed. "Good for you."


***


JR turned the doorknob and was shocked to find the door unlocked. He opened the door as quietly as possible and snuck inside the bedroom. Sue Ellen was in the bed, snuggled beneath the covers, but he could tell by the stiffness of her body that she wasn't asleep. He sighed heavily, went to his closet, pulled out some clothes, and headed towards the bathroom.


"Are you such a coward that you intend to pretend you think I'm asleep?" Sue Ellen accused him.


"I thought you were pretending to be asleep, Sue Ellen. I didn't want to disturb you in case I was right."


Sue Ellen sat up and glared at him. "Why didn't you come to bed last night?"


"I didn't think I'd be welcome."


"Oh. So in addition to breaking your promises about no more lies and secrets, you also broke your commitment to working out our problems instead of ignoring them and giving each other the cold shoulder. I guess I shouldn't be surprised."


"Sue Ellen, Lucy said you wanted to be alone - that you needed some space."


"And you took her word for it rather than manning up and coming to see for yourself?" she huffed. "Like I said. A coward."


"Now listen, woman…"


"No. Go take your shower. Go to work. Just be home in time to take me and Pam shopping. I mean, unless you intend to break that promise too."


"You still want me to take you?"


"What did I just say, JR?" Sue Ellen rolled her eyes.


JR didn't move for a few silent seconds, considering whether or not he should take his shower and leave like she asked or if he should force a confrontation right this second.


"Sue Ellen?" he finally said, "I'll be home at lunchtime. I'll take you shopping, or do whatever else you want me to do. Just promise me you'll still be here when I get home."


"Oh, I'll be here, JR," Sue Ellen said snidely. "I promised you I wouldn't run anymore, remember? Unlike you, I intend to keep my promises."


JR sucked in a deep breath and nodded. "I know you're very angry with me. And you have every right to be. But please believe me when I say I love you more than anything in the world and I never meant to hurt you."


"That's the problem with you, JR," Sue Ellen said coldly. "You never mean to hurt me. But you always do. Please go take your shower and go to work. I can't stand the sight of you right now."


"Sue Elen… I just need to…"


"No!" She yelled. "Please, JR. If you truly do love me and if we have any prayer of saving our relationship, I just need you gone right now!"


She finally broke down crying and buried her head in her hands. "Please JR. If you love me, you'll just go!"


"I do love you," he whispered. "So I'll go. I'll be back at lunchtime, honey."


She didn't reply. She waited for him to.disappear behind the bathroom door, then buried her head in her pillow and sobbed softly until her body gave into exhaustion and she finally fell asleep.


***
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Loved the confrontation. I somehow knew she'd find out for herself.

And yes he is a coward, and yes I am mad. As hell. Moan moan moan. When is he EVER going to learn????

I really sincerely hope she doesn't forgive him too easily and that she has the chance to see for herself that Vanessa could NEVER live up to her.

Argh JR!!!!!:censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer:
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Loved the confrontation. I somehow knew she'd find out for herself.

And yes he is a coward, and yes I am mad. As hell. Moan moan moan. When is he EVER going to learn????


I really sincerely hope she doesn't forgive him too easily and that she has the chance to see for herself that Vanessa could NEVER live up to her.

Argh JR!!!!!:censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer:

I don't think the fight between JR and Sue Ellen will last long. I think it's important to show how both characters have grown and matured, both in their relationship and in how they understand that their marriage and behavior affects the rest of the family (especially the boys) otherwise the lessons learned in earlier chapters don't mean anything.

But don't worry @Sarah , Sue Ellen is no push over anymore and I won't write her that way. JR is going to be forced to face his mistakes and his cowardice.

And also don't worry, Vanessa is going to get dealt with.
 
Last edited:

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Oh I can’t wait!! Yes you are right in what you say too!

Love them so much and can’t wait to see what happens next! Hope we don’t have to wait too long!!
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 84


***


"They look so miserable," Patricia sighed. "All three of them."


"Sounded like they all had a difficult night," Ellie responded.


Patricia turned away from the window and sat back down at the kitchen table. "I keep wondering if I should go out there and try to talk to them."


"I wouldn't. It will all work out. Or it won't. Either way, you and I can't make their decisions for them and I for one don't care to be pulled into their drama."


"I suppose you're right."


"How is the house hunting going?" Ellie changed the subject.


"Not as well as I'd hoped. It looks like I am going to have to settle on something in Dallas. There's nothing suitable available any closer."


"Why settle on anything at all?" Ellie asked. "Clayton and I have truly enjoyed having you here. It's been wonderful to have someone with our own age with our interests. Stay, Patricia. At least until you can find something closer."


"Oh, Ellie. That's so kind of you. But I couldn't possibly impose on you any further."


"It's not an imposition. I want you to stay. So does Clayton. I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it."


"I...well, I do love being here with the boys. And I enjoy spending time with you and Clayton too. I accept, Ellie. But only if you're sure."


"I'm sure. Very, very sure."


"Thank you, Ellie." Patricia's gaze drifted back out to the window. "The boys will be down for breakfast soon. I fear they will sense something is terribly wrong and be upset."


Ellie's head shot up and her eyes narrowed. "I hadn't thought about that," she admitted. "Oh well. Guess I won't be able to stay out of the drama after all. Come on, Patricia. Let's set these ladies straight."


Patricia followed Ellie out to the patio table where Pam, Sue Ellen, and Lucy sat moping.


"Alright, you three," Ellie said sternly, taking a seat. "I have something to say to each one of you and you're all going to listen. Understand?"


"Pam, I understand you're disappointed that Bobby didn't dive right back into your relationship and pick up where you left off, but you owe him your patience and understanding. He spent a very long time torturing himself because he believed he had done something to make you leave him. He's afraid to trust you're back for good. If one of you needs to prove love and devotion in your relationship, it's you, not him."


"Lucy, you're too old to come running home crying like a teenager who got dumped at the prom every time you and Mitch have a fight. You know very well that Mitch has always had a hard time accepting your family. You can either learn to live with that or not, but either way, you're not twelve and it's ridiculous to make your uncles chase all over Dallas to defend your honor - which hasn't even been tarnished."


"And you, Sue Ellen. I am disappointed in you most of all. You are too smart to think that JR is ever going to be perfect. Yes. He lied. So what? You know WHY he lied. He lied because he was scared to death. Scared about your health. Scared about your hormones. Scared about your jealousy. He was scared of all those things because he loves you so much and he knows what a snake he has been in the past. You have him wrapped around your little finger. Take advantage of that. Put him in his place where he belongs. Make it clear that you simply won't tolerate that kind of cowardice from him in the future, then take the boy to bed and remind him why he has no choice but to behave!"


"Now," Ellie said, standing up. "Our boys will be down for breakfast soon. They are happy and secure for the first time in a very long time and I won't have the three of you changing that with your silliness. Patricia and I will take them down to the stables to ride. When we get back, I expect the pity party to be over! You are Ewing women. All of you. Strong, resilient, smart Ewing women. Start acting like it."


Ellie stood up and marched back into the house.


Patricia stood, squared her shoulders, and turned to follow. "Everything she just said? I agree!"


Pam, Lucy, and Sue Ellen sat, staring after Miss Ellie in shock for a few minutes before all of them burst out laughing.


"Well," Sue Ellen grinned when she finally caught her breath, "when she's right, she's right!"


***


"JR?" Bobby nudged him with his elbow. "You agree?"


"What? Oh. Oh yes. Everything looks good. I say we go."


"You heard the man," Bobby said, standing up and extending his hand to the bankers. "Send the paperwork over when it's done."


"You'll have it this afternoon," the men stood up and shook Bobby's hand."We'll cut the check as soon as we get them back."


"It'll be done tomorrow morning," Bobby told them, walking them to the door. "Phyllis will see you out."


He shut the door and turned to look at his brother. "Go home, JR."


"I can't," JR said sadly. "She doesn't want me there."


"She's had time to calm down," Bobby told him. "At least call her and test the waters."


"I can't," JR repeated. "The last thing she said to me was that if I loved her, I'd leave her alone."


"JR, she's hurt and upset. It's up to you to make things right. Look, doesn't she still want you to take her and Pam shopping?"


"Yes. After my meetings. Lunchtime."


"Then tell her you got finished early and came on home to see if she was ready to go. But you have to go. God knows you're not doing any good here today."


"I don't know, Bob. Maybe I should wait."


"JR? You're my brother. I love you. But get the hell out of my office and get your ass home. Handle your wife. For once in your life, don't take the easy way out and avoid this. She loves you. Go home and show her you're sorry, but that you won't let her shut you out again. You're the man, JR. Start acting like it!"


Bobby knew almost as soon as the words had left his mouth that he'd gone too far.


"Oh yeah? I'm a man alright!" JR exploded. "What about you, Bobby? You think I didn't see your pansy ass slip out of the house early this morning before Pam got up? What's wrong? Too weak to face her? Too scared? Worried you won't be able to keep her at a distance because you want her so much, so you snuck off to the office to avoid melting in front of her like a scared little boy,? You want me to go home and handle my wife? Tell me then, pretty boy, just how do you plan to handle yours!"


"I'm going to go home and tell her I want to work things out!" Bobby shouted.


"Oh yeah?" JR snapped back.


"Yeah!"


"Well, me too. I'm going to do the same thing!"


"Then let's go!"


They both grabbed their hats and their briefcases.


"We're done for the day," Bobby nodded at Phyllis on their way out.


They stalked to the elevator and JR angrily pushed the button. "And you know what else, Bob?" his voice still loud and angry.


"What, JR?" Bobby was just as loud.


"We're both gonna end up following our wives around all day carrying shopping bags like trained, lovesick puppies!"


Bobby couldn't help it. The truth of JR's last statement cracked him up. "Yes, we will. But we'll be manly lovesick puppies!"


JR laughed along with his brother. By the time they got to the ground floor, neither of them could hardly breathe.


***


"Is that a taxi?" Pam pointed to the driveway.


"Yeah," Lucy answered. "What in the world?"


"Oh, good Lord in heaven," Sue Ellen sighed when she saw who got out of the cab. "We don't need to have to deal with her right now."


"Doesn't look like we have a choice," Pam said, watching the taxi back up and drive away. Pam stood up and walked around the table to greet their visitor.


"Pam?" the voice was unsure. "Is that you?"


"Yes, Afton," Pam stepped forward and hugged the other woman lightly. "It's me."


"I'm so happy you're safe and home."


"Thank you," Pam replied. "Please. Take a seat and join us."


Afton glanced at Sue Ellen and Lucy to see if either objected. When neither did, she sat down and took a deep breath.


"I'm not here to make trouble or to cause a scene. I have some things to say, then I'll leave. I know I don't deserve to have any of you listen, but I hope you will."


"Go ahead," Sue Ellen waved her hand.


Afton took another deep breath. "Pam, I love Cliff. Very much."


"I know that, Afton," Pam said quietly. "You always have."


"Yes. But I shouldn't have left him. And I shouldn't have hidden Pammy from him. The truth is, by the time Pammy was born, I was so embarrassed by what I had done and by how it had harmed my baby that I couldn't face him. I blamed him, but it was me. All my fault. He's giving me another chance. I hope you can accept me being back in his life. I promise I won't give up on him ever again."


"Sue Ellen, I know you hate me. And you have good reason. I never apologized to you for sleeping with your husband. I was horrible and nasty, especially considering I had sex with him in your own bed at my brother's wedding…"


"Whoa!" Lucy gasped. "You did what?!"


"It's true," Afton bowed her head. "I wanted his money and his power and I did everything I could to take him from you. And then, I blamed you for my problems with Cliff. I despised you because he loved you and not me. What I couldn't admit to myself is that I would never be as good a woman as you. You even sought me out and were kind to me after Cliff tried to kill himself. I was too weak and immature to appreciate that back then. But I do now. And I am truly sorry for the pain I caused you. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I needed to say it anyway."


"Afton," Sue Ellen breathed out, "I forgave you for sleeping with JR long ago. You were so young. JR is the one who made the choice to bring you into our bed. I blame him for that - not you."


Afton nodded and turned to face Lucy. "I hurt you most of all. I deliberately destroyed your marriage because I didn't want to go back out onto the streets and I didn't want to lose my daughter. I am so sorry. I can't go back and undo the damage I've done to you, Lucy, but I know in my heart Mitch truly loves you. Please don't give up on him. Whatever mistakes he's made with you, I'm the cause, not him."


"Did Mitch tell you about our fight last night?"


"No. He isn't speaking to me. But I heard about it."


"We weren't fighting about you. Mitch and I had problems long before you ever came to.live with us."


"I know that, Lucy. But I made them so much worse. And I did it deliberately."


"Afton," Lucy said tentatively, "I need to ask you something. Hard as it is for you, can you at least try to be honest?"


"Yes."


"Are you done with the drugs this time? I mean really, truly done?"


"I…" Afton hesitated, wanting to organize her thoughts. "I'm an addict, Lucy. I'll always be an addict. There's no cure. Only treatment. Cliff found me a wonderful counselor and he set me up with a sponsor here in Dallas. I believe I'm done. I want to be done. And I hope and pray that with Cliff's love and support, I am done. Pammy needs me. And she is the most important thing in my life. I truly believe she's enough to keep me sober. But I am always going to be what I am; addicted."


Lucy looked over at Sue Ellen who nodded. "That's an honest answer. From one addict to another," Sue Ellen looked Afton in the eyes, "the key to sobriety is finding whatever fills that awful void in your soul and filling your life up with whatever that happens to be."


"I think for me, that will be being a wife and mother."


"Wife?" Pam repeated. "Has Cliff proposed?"


"Oh! No! But someday, after I've proven to him I can love and take care of him and Pammy well, I hope he will."


"Alright," Lucy stood up. "Come on, Afton."


"Where are we going?"


"To see Mitch. The three of us need to talk."


"He won't want to see me," Afton said sadly.


"Well, that's just too damn bad for him, isn't it? We have some things that need settling. No time like the present. Ladies," she nodded at Pam and Sue Ellen, "have fun shopping. And put my uncles on notice that all us strong, resilient, smart Ewing women are done moping and are taking charge of our own lives!"


***


"Hello?"


"Hi, lady, how are you on the beautiful day?"


"You're way too chipper this morning, Cliff," April laughed. "Sounds like someone got laid last night."


"I did," Cliff admitted. "Twice. Jealous?"


"Extremely," April sighed. "Especially considering even though I think me and Jack are ready to take the next step, we won't have an opportunity for a while. Not with Michelle here."


"Buy the girl some earplugs and go at it!"


"You're awful! Did you talk to Afton about tonight?"


"Yep. We'll be over around 7:00. Need us to bring anything?"


"No. Just your company."


"Okay. See you then. Oh, by the way, can you check your guest room and see if my grey sports coat is in there? I can't find it anywhere.'


"Sure thing. I'll leave it out for you if it's here."


"Okay. See you tonight."


April hung up the phone and walked over to the door to her guest room. "Michelle? Can I come in?"


When there was no answer, she quietly pushed open the door. She heard the shower running in the bathroom and moved to the closet. She dug around a bit and found Cliff's jacket. She backed out of the closet and bumped into the dresser. "Ouch," she rubbed at her hip where it had collided with the wood. She noticed she'd knocked over a folder and some papers had fallen out of it. She bent to pick everything up, but froze in her tracks when she saw some of the papers.


"Oh, my God," she breathed out in shock. "Oh, my God, Michelle! What are you up to?"


***


"They're home early," Sue Ellen nodded towards the driveway where Bobby and JR were both parking their cars.


"Both of them," Pam said. "I wasn't expecting Bobby home until dinner time."


"They're up to something," Sue Ellen said thoughtfully.


"That's just fine," Pam smiled deviously. "So are we."


"What do you think JR?" Bobby asked his brother, his eyes fixed on their wives who were lounging by the pool.


"We can't out flank them," JR mused. "They've already spotted our position."


"Full frontal attack then?"


"Hmmmm. No choice. Remember though, we can't break under questioning from the enemy. Hit them fast and straight, then break their line."


"Divide and conquer, then?"


"Absolutely. Meet you downstairs at home base in an hour."


"Good luck, brother. May the force be with you."


"And with you."


"What are they doing?" Pam wondered out loud.


"Plotting," Sue Ellen told her sister-in-law. "Stay strong."


"You too. Here they come."


"Ladies," JR spoke first, tipping his hat to them. "We finished our meetings early and thought we'd come home and see if you were ready to go shopping."


"You're going to?" Pam asked Bobby.


"Yes. Didn't feel right leaving JR to carry packages for both of you."


"We need to change," Sue Ellen announced, standing up. "We'll be ready in a few minutes."


Pam stood up and followed Sue Ellen into the house.


"Going to their rooms to change," Bobby whispered to his brother. "Success on the divide part."


"Now all we gotta worry about is the conquer," JR sighed.


***


"Mr. Krebbs? I hope I'm not disturbing you. May I come in?"


"Of course, James," Ray stood back to let the young man enter the house. "Charlie isn't here. She's out shopping with her mother."


"I know. I'm not here to see Charlie," James said. "I guess she told you we decided to stop seeing each other."


"She mentioned it," Ray nodded. "So if you didn't come to see Charlie, what are you doing here?"


"I came to see you, Sir."


"Me? About what?"


"Your family. Specifically your brother."


"Which brother?"


"JR. You see, Mr. Krebbs… I have a reason, a really good reason…"


"A good reason for what, boy?' Ray snapped. "Spit it out!"


"I have a very good reason to believe I am his son."


"What?! What did you just say to me?"


"My mother's name is Vanessa Beaumont. She had an affair with your brother approximately nine months before I was born. Mr. Krebbs, I believe JR Ewing is my father."


***


Lucy and Mitch sat on the couch in the living room of the hotel suite and watched Afton and Pammy playing in the corner.


"She's a good mother, Mitch. She wasn't at first, but she is now. Cliff will be a wonderful father. Please don't take Pammy away from them as revenge for what Afton did to our marriage."


"You mean don't do to Pammy what JR and your grandparents did to you?"


Lucy turned her head to look at him. "Yes. That's exactly what I mean."


"Pammy actually smiled when she saw Afton. That's so rare for her."


"They belong together, Mitch."


"Yes. Alright, Lucy. I won't fight Afton and Cliff."


Lucy smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Thank you."


"I have to go back to Atlanta for work, but I'll see about putting in a transfer to Dallas Memorial as soon as possible."


"You're... you're moving to Dallas?"


"Can't see anyway around it. My niece will be living here. And the woman I love lives here too."


"The woman you love?"


"Yes. Maybe you know her. She's a really voluptuous blonde. Just gorgeous. On the short side, but that's okay because she looks so hot in heels. She has a really big mouth and a tongue sharp as the devil's pitchfork. But she's really sweet and softhearted deep down.She grew up rich and her family is really powerful, so sometimes she comes off as spoiled. But she's not. She's kind and generous. But I have to move here to be with her because she can't leave Dallas. And it's not because her family has money. It's because she loves them. And they love her. Especially one of her uncles, who may or may not have come by my hotel room really early this morning to talk some sense into me."


"JR?" she whispered.


"Yeah," Mitch confirmed. "I'm sorry for last night, Lucy. I'm sorry for not coming to you when I got that stupid note. I'm sorry for letting you go twice. Give me another chance. I promise I won't let you go again."


"Well, you know what they say, Mitch," Lucy wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down for a kiss, "third time's the charm."


***


"Pam?" Bobby knocked softly on the bedroom door. "Can I come in?"


The door opened and Pam appeared in front of him. "I'm ready to go," she told him, starting to move out into the hallway.


"Hang on just a minute," he told her. "I need to talk to you. May I come in?"


"Of course," Pam backed up and moved out of his way.


"Pam, when you left me I was devastated.


"I know, Bobby…"


"Please. Just let me talk. Okay?"


Pam nodded and he continued. "I looked for you. Moved heaven and earth. Then when I got your letter telling me you wanted a divorce and not to try to find you, all that panic and loss turned into hurt and then anger. I couldn't understand why you would ever think my love was so shallow that I'd care how you looked. I didn't know you were sick. I didn't know you thought you were dying. And even now, I don't understand why you left. But you're home now. And you wanted to come home. To Christopher. And to me. But I didn't know how I felt about you. I still had so much doubt and pain. But last night, the way you were. How you and Christopher just seemed to pick up right where you left off. How you sat and comforted Sue Ellen until Lucy got home. How you looked at me, how it felt when you leaned against me while we were watching the movie. You're my Pam. You look different. But you're still my Pam. And I still love you."


"Bobby...what are you saying?"


"I want my wife back, Pam. I want to try to get over all the pain and love you, and have you love me. I want to be with you.I know it can't ever be exactly like it was before. I know things have changed. They'll be rough spots, with Sue Ellen and Christopher and with my doubts and your fears, so I know it will be different. But maybe different will be better. I want to try. I want to work things out."


"Oh, Bobby!" Tears of joy slid down her cheeks. "Me too! I want to work things out too!"


Bobby smiled and pulled her into his arms. "Welcome home, honey," he whispered before capturing her lips in a soul crushing, passionate kiss.


***


JR sat back in his chair in stunned silence as he watched his wife strip off her bathing suit and walk naked to the dresser.


"Something the matter, JR?"


"What?" his mouth went completely dry when she bent over right in front of him to slip on a pair of panties. "Oh no. Nothing wrong, Sue Ellen."


"Realy?" she asked, turning around and giving him a close-up look at her bare breasts as she put on her bra. "Because you look a little distracted."


"Well, hell, Miss Texas," JR snapped, forgetting his plan to charm her, "you prancing around here.naked makes it hard to concentrate."


"Is that right, JR? Do you like what you see?"


"You know damn well I do."


"Do you want to keep it?"


"You know damn well I do," he said again.


"Then you are going to stop keeping secrets from me. I don't care how upset you think I'll be. I don't care how sick I am. I don't care how much stress I'm under. You will stop treating me like a fragile child! I am a lot stronger than you ever give me credit for, and I will NOT tolerate being so disrespected ever again. Understand?"


"Sue Ellen, in my defense, I was only trying to…"


"Stop it, JR!" she commanded. "I mean it! I know perfectly well what you were trying to do, and I won't have it. I don't expect you to be perfect. But I do expect you to respect me enough not to lie to me!"


"You're right, honey," he said meekly. "You're right, and I'm sorry."


"And?"


"And it won't happen ever again."


"Don't break any more promises to me, JR. I mean it. Next time I won't be so forgiving."


"I won't, Sue Ellen. I swear it."


Sue Ellen shook her head dismissively and moved towards him until she was standing directly in front of his chair.


"We're going shopping with Bobby and Pam. Then the four of us are going out for a nice dinner. Then you and I are coming home and figuring out what to do about this possible son together. Got it?"


"I got it, Miss Texas."


"Good. Now, before we do any of that," she parted his knees and moved to stand between his legs, "I am going to remind you who you belong to," she sank down onto her knees and moved her hands undo his belt and his pants, "and who belongs to you."


JR groaned loudly and surrendered to his wife"s expert attention. He tangled his hands on her hair and leaned forward as far as he could to kiss the top of her head. "I love you, Sue Ellen," he growled, already starting to lose control. "We will always belong to each other."


*""
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Oh that was worth waiting for!!

Absolutely loved JRs scene with Bobby - so cute and funny.

I’m so relieved Sue Ellen is taking a stand and marking JR.

I am so over Afton and Cliff deserves better - my opinion of her will never change. Sue Ellen is too forgiving - much as I love her - I wish she would call Afton for the tramp she is - she wasn’t a child when it happened.

And sorry but unpopular opinion I can also live without Spam. Sweet words from Bobby but would prefer him with April.

And - Go Ellie! Go Ellie! Go Ellie! Go Ellie!!! :p
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Loved the confrontation. I somehow knew she'd find out for herself.

And yes he is a coward, and yes I am mad. As hell. Moan moan moan. When is he EVER going to learn????

I really sincerely hope she doesn't forgive him too easily and that she has the chance to see for herself that Vanessa could NEVER live up to her.


Argh JR!!!!!:censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer::censer:


Agreed. I wanted to jump into the story and give Sue Ellen a hug. And JR too (while at the same time smacking him upside the head and saying 'I told you so').

Going back up the page to read latest update now.
 
Last edited:

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Oh that was worth waiting for!!

Absolutely loved JRs scene with Bobby - so cute and funny.

I’m so relieved Sue Ellen is taking a stand and marking JR.

I am so over Afton and Cliff deserves better - my opinion of her will never change. Sue Ellen is too forgiving - much as I love her - I wish she would call Afton for the tramp she is - she wasn’t a child when it happened.

And sorry but unpopular opinion I can also live without Spam. Sweet words from Bobby but would prefer him with April.

And - Go Ellie! Go Ellie! Go Ellie! Go Ellie!!! :p


@Sarah, reading my mind again lol.
I just have to add a - Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen! too.

Loved this update. I'm happy stuff is out in the open now, and despite the seriousness of what's been going on, it was really funny in places too.

My only slight disappointment was not having Mama yell at the boys too, but LOVE that woman. She rocks

Oh and Mitch is off the branding iron list.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
As a side note, the next silly twat to defend Winger is going in the bath, without exception.

THERE IS MORE TO A WOMAN THAN BREASTS AND BEING UNDER THE THUMB YOU TWAT FROM HELL!

(Disclaimer: I've had a moment and it's nothing to do with this thread)
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I love the latest updates!:)

Go Miss Ellie! I love the character. She is so strong and tells it like it is.

Great how Sue Ellen overheard about James.
At least it is out in the open now and Ray knows too.

Love Bobby and Pam's reconciliation. I am glad Mitch and Lucy worked it out too. :)

Sue Ellen took Miss Ellies advice.

Bobby and JR and their comment about carrying shopping bags like love sick puppies was hilarious.

Woah Afton apologized to SE. Didn't see that one cominc. Lucy's reaction to finding out what went on at her wedding was perfect too!

I wonder what April found out about Michelle?
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 85


***


Ray didn't speak. He didn't even move. He was shell shocked.


"I'm sorry to dump all this on you," James said quietly. "I didn't know what else to do. I tried to plot and scheme. Tried to romance Charlie and use her as a way into your family. But in the end, she's just such a great girl, I couldn't bring myself to hurt her like that. Then I tried to figure out some angle to worm my way close to JR through his wife. But thinking about everything Charlie told me about her and how hard she's had to struggle to keep her marriage together, that didn't seem right either. My mom taught me how to lie and manipulate people. It's a lesson I learned very well. But I couldn't do it. If JR is my father, I don't want to start my relationship out with him with a scheme."


"James, you realize how hard this is to believe, right? My brother is a very wealthy man. A lot of people have claimed family connections to the Ewings in order to try to hop on the money train.


"I completely understand that, Mr. Krebbs. But, remember, I'm a Brumin. My father - or whatever he was to me - was heir to a huge financial empire. We are one of the wealthiest families in the UK. When he died, I inherited everything. No offense, but the fortune I have makes what the Ewings have look like peanuts. Here," James pushed a file over to Ray.


"What's all this?"


"My… Allister - the man I thought was my father - gave this to me night he died. It's years of news clippings on JR. There's also some old photos of JR and my mother during their affair. And in the very back, the results of a blood test."


"Blood test?"


"Allister never believed he was my father. When I was seven years old, he had a paternity test done behind my mother's back. The results were conclusive. He isn't my natural father."


"But...if he knew, why didn't he divorce your mother and disown you?"


"You don't know my mother," James laughed bitterly. "She's evil. By the time he had the blood test done, she already had her hands so deep into his business that he couldn't afford to divorce her. Plus - well, given his habits towards booze, cocaine, and cheap women, she had enough blackmail material on him to keep him well in line."


"James, why are you doing this? If it turns out JR is your father, aren't you risking losing your fortune?"


"Yes," James shrugged. "But I don't care. All my life I've had plenty of money. More than I could ever spend. But that's all I ever had. My so-called father was cold and resentful. My mother was cruel. I want a family, Mr. Krebbs. I don't expect for JR and his wife to accept me with open arms at first - but they seem like the kind of people who might actually give me a chance."


"Does JR have any idea you exist?"


"My mother says she talked to him, but that might not be true. She's an awful liar. I promise you I don't want to cause JR any trouble. That's why I came to you, Mr. Krebbs. I knew you'd help me do what's right."


"Alright, James. I need to talk to Jenna about all this. Then I'll have to call JR. Can you come back tomorrow afternoon? And I guess since we're probably related you should start calling me Ray."


"Thanks, Ray," James stood up and extended his hand. "Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow."


"Hopefully?"


"I have one other thing I need to take care of," James sighed. "I have to contact the London police. I have a confession to make about the fire that killed my father."


***


"This one is gorgeous, Pam! You should try it on too!"


"Whoa, Sue Ellen!" Pam laughed. "My arms are already too full!"


"I'll carry this one," Sue Ellen said, gesturing at the sales lady. "Mrs. Ewing will be trying all these on."


"Yes, ma'am!" The sales lady smiled. "Right this way."


Pam and Sue Ellen followed her to the dressing area. "Sue Ellen," Pam said, removing her dress. "Thank you so much for understanding about dinner."


"Of course, Pam. I understand you're not ready for a public reveal. Plus, it's only your second night home. We need to spend it with the boys. And judging by that huge smile on your face, I imagine you and Bobby will want to turn in early anyway."


"Is it that obvious?" Pam laughed.


"Yes, it is."


"It was so amazing. I made all those plans to prove myself to him and be patient and then he just strolled into my bedroom and told me he loved me and wanted to try to work things out. I felt like a princess in a fairy tale."


"I'm so very happy for you. For both of you."


"Thank you, Sue Ellen. I noticed that you and JR seem to be getting along alright."


"Oh, I put him in his place, just like Miss Ellie suggested. He still has some lessons to learn, but I have a feeling he is going to be a very attentive student."


Pam burst out laughing and turned to face her friend. "Well? How do I look?" she asked, twirling around in one of the dresses Sue Ellen had picked out.


"You look lovely, Pam," Sue Ellen gushed. "Just lovely!"


***


"What are you looking at, Bobby?"


"You, JR. You look pretty relaxed and content for a guy who was afraid his wife was going to kill him a few hours ago."


"Well, I stuck to the plan," JR told him. "She came right around."


"Uh huh," Bobby laughed. "Just like I stuck to my plan I bet."


JR shook his head. "Our battle plan was a complete failure. The enemy outsmarted us."


"Yes," Bobby admitted. "We're the ones who were divided and conquered."


"True, but on the bright side, I have no problem letting Sue Ellen conquer me any time she wants."


Bobby threw back his head and roared with laughter.


"Look at this," JR said with disgust, gesturing around the waiting area of the dress shop. "Look at all these husbands, sitting around and wasting their whole day waiting on their wives to buy some clothes. Trained, lovesick puppies, Bob. And here we are, just like them."


"We're not like them all all!" Bobby protested. "We're MANLY lovesick puppies remember?"


It was JR's turn to laugh. Bobby joined them and they laughed so hard, everyone in the shop turned to look at them. The brothers ignored the strange looks they were getting, slapped each other on the back, and joked and smiled, both content to wait on the women they loved.


***


Michelle paced back and forth across the carpeting of her hotel room and tried to figure out what she was going to do. Her nosy sister had found her research on the Ewings, along with some notes Michelle had made after her meeting with Marilee, and had thrown her out of the apartment immediately. April was so outraged, Michelle was sure she was probably already on the phone to Sue Ellen, spilling the entire sordid story.


This was going to make things very difficult for Michelle, but all was not lost. There had to be some way to turn this around to her advantage. She just had to figure out how to do it.


***


"You're home early!" Ellie looked up from the board game she and Patricia were playing with the boys. "I thought the four of you were having dinner out tonight?"


"I'm afraid we tired ourselves out," Sue Ellen laughed as the boys jumped out of their seats and ran over to give her and Pam hugs. "So, we just decided to come on home."


"I don't know what you're complaining about," JR grumbled, coming in behind her with an armful of packages. "Bobby and I are the one who had to walk all over downtown Dallas carrying two tons of junk."


"Just remember, JR," Sue Ellen reminded him, "you volunteered."


JR grunted but said nothing else. "Come on, Bob. Let's get this stuff upstairs."


Bobby followed JR up the stairs and out of sight.


"Did you buy us anything?" John Ross asked with hopeful eyes.


"Of course we did!" Pam told them. "I think your presents are both mixed in with my things. Go on up to my room and Uncle Bobby can get them for you."


Pam and Sue Ellen smiled as they watched their sons run up the steps.


"I'm glad you had a nice time out shopping," Ellie said to them. "I assume everything else is settled as well?"


"All taken care of," Sue Ellen grinned.


"Good. I'll tell Teresa you'll be here for dinner."


Sue Ellen and Pam nodded and went upstairs, stopping in Pam's room where the boys were admiring their brand new, super soaker water guns.


"Wow! These are so neat!" Christopher said.


"Yeah! I bet we can drench the whole family with one shot!" John Ross said excitedly. "Can we go try them out?"


"What do you think, Pam?" Bobby asked.


"Fine with me. I'll put on my bathing suit and meet you and the boys out by the pool."


"You coming, Mama?" John Ross asked Sue Ellen.


"Maybe later, John Ross. I have to talk to your daddy about something first."


"Grown up stuff?" John Ross sounded worried.


"Yes, but we're not fighting, sweetheart. I promise. We just have a problem we need to figure out how to solve together."


"Okay, Mama. You and Daddy are both good at solving problems!"


Sue Ellen bent down and kissed her son. "Go get changed, sweetheart. Have fun at the pool."


Sue Ellen nodded at Pam and Bobby and walked across the hall to her and JR's bedroom. "Time to talk about the bastard," she said under her breath, steeling her nerves and praying JR would be willing to listen to her and do things her way.


***


"Everything okay?"


Jack hung up the phone out in the stables and nodded at Clayton. "Yeah. That was April. She had some trouble with her little sister and kicked her out. Michelle totally deserved it, but April is so soft hearted she"s feeling guilty over it now."


"You still having dinner over there tonight?"


"Yeah. With Cliff and that Afton character. Should be an interesting evening. Clayton, can I ask you something personal?"


"Sure, I guess."


"Why did you sell the Southern Cross? I mean Dusty was still alive. Wouldn't you have wanted to keep it for him?"


"Dusty didn't want it, and I didn't think I could keep it if I truly wanted to make Southfork my home. Why?


"I don't know, I guess I've been thinking a lot about sons and legacies. My father didn't leave me anything but debt and I was so broke Jamie had to handle that. I've been thinking about what kind of legacy I'll have for my future kids."


"You're doing fine work here, Jack. Ray and I have been discussing making you a partner."


"Oh. No Clayton, I didn't mean…"


"I know you aren't asking. But we both feel you should be rewarded for all your hard work. You have far exceeded our expectations and I don't know what I would have done without you."


"Clayton, I don't need to be a partner. I am just happy you took a chance on me and gave me a shot."


"And I am happy you took it. As for leaving a legacy for your children, treat their mama right. Love her. Love them. Be a man. Keep your word. Always put family first. That legacy will do them more good and last a whole lot longer than any material thing you could leave them."


"You're right, Clayton. Thank you."


"Now, let me ask you a personal question. I mean with all the talk about legacies and future children, are you maybe thinking about putting a ring on April's finger?"


"Yes," Jack grinned. "Yes, I am."


"Excellent!" Clayton slapped him on the back. "Outstanding!"


***


"Mr. Brumin, I just spoke to the detective who handled the investigation into the fire. He confirms that an emergency call reporting the fire was made at a payphone two blocks from the house. So your story checks out."


"And you told him Miss Cooper didn't set the fire?"


"Yes, but he said that didn't matter, considering your father died of heart failure and not smoke inhalation."


"What?"


"Didn't you know? It's all in the file. He faxed over a copy if you'd like to have it. The autopsy showed your father had been having mini heart attacks all day. It wasn't the knock on the head or the fire that killed him. It was one last heart attack. Truthfully, given the damage his heart had already sustained throughout the day, he would have died within the next 24 to 48 hours no matter what happened."


"The fire didn't kill him?"


"No."


"I didn't kill him?"


"No, son. And though you were responsible for the fire, you reported it and all of the property loss was absorbed by the estate you inherited, there's no crime to charge you with."


"You said all of this is in the file. Does my mother know?"


"Of course. The Detective informed her of everything. She was pressing hard to have Miss Cooper charged with manslaughter. She wasn't happy when she realized that would be impossible."


"You said the file was faxed over?"


"Yes. Here you go. I hope I've been able to answer all of your questions."


"Oh yes," James nodded, taking the file from the other man's hand. "You've been very helpful. Very helpful indeed."


***


"Oh, for heaven's sake!" Sue Ellen seethed. She was sitting on the edge of the bed. JR was in his favorite chair, silently looking at her. "Are you just going to sit there and stare at me all day or are you going to open your mouth and talk?"


"Maybe I was hoping if I sat here long enough, I'd get another strip tease," JR chuckled.


"JR, I swear…"


"Alright. I'm sorry, Sue Ellen. I guess the truth is I don't know where to start."


"If I were you I'd start with how you found out and how long you've known."


JR took a deep breath and told her about Afton's phone messages, about how he hadn't believed what she'd said when he and Lucy had gone to visit her in the hospital, about how he'd sent Harry to Switzerland, about how Vanessa had called him at the office and told him James never heard of him, and about how Afton had passed Information to Cliff that had exposed Vanessa's assurances as lies.


After he finished spilling the whole story, she stood up, walked over to her vanity, pulled out a couple of tissues, and wiped at her tear filled eyes.


"JR," she said, her voice shaking, "your lie was more than one of ommission. You lied to my face about why Harry was in Switzerland."


"Yes, I did," he confessed. "And I'm so sorry, Sue Ellen."


"And you made Lucy an unwilling accomplice in your deceit."


"Yes. I did that too."


"JR, you hurt me. You've hurt me very badly."


He couldn't bring himself to look at her. "I know, honey. And I hate myself for it."


"You hurt me, JR," she repeated. "Don't do it again."


"I won't, Sue Ellen," he finally raised his eyes and locked them on hers, *never again. I swear it."


"You're promises aren't worth a lot right now, JR," she said cooly. "I suppose time will tell whether or not you mean it this time. But make no mistake. I won't run. And I will fight for you and our marriage, just as I promised I would. But I meant what I said to you this morning; if this happens again, next time I will NOT be so forgiving."


"I understand, Sue Ellen."


"Good. Now, this is what I want. Number one, you are going to call Harv Smithfield tomorrow and redo your will. John Ross will CLEARLY be named the sole heir of your shares of Ewing Oil, Southfork, and our new home and property. You will also stipulate that neither you or any heir that isn't John Ross have any claim on any of my personal assets, including my shares in Weststar."


"Alright, Sue Ellen."


"Number two, you are going to call Harry McSween and have him arrange a meeting between yourself and James. I will be present at that meeting and at any meeting or phone call between the two of you until paternity has been established."


JR nodded his agreement.


"Number three, you will NOT communicate with this Vanessa woman under any circumstances. Not in person, not on the phone, not through mail, not even through a carrier pigeon. Are we clear?"


"Yes, Sue Ellen. We're clear."


"JR, if you have even the SLIGHTEST reservation about any of this, you need to tell me right now. Don't keep your mouth shut to make me happy then try to pull a fast one on me later."


"I won't," he shrugged. "i don't have any problem with any of it. You're doing exactly what you should be doing, protecting our son and protecting our marriage."


"And it doesn't bother you that I'm forbidding you to even communicate with that woman? It doesn't make you feel like I'm trying to control you?"


"Actually, that part is kinda sexy. Turns me on that you're jealous."


"JR, please be serious!" she snapped


"Okay, honey. No it doesn't bother me. Like I said, you're protecting our marriage."


"Do you love this woman, JR?"


"What?"


"She was your first love. She may have given you a son. Do you love her?"


JR couldn't help but laugh at her question.


"This isn't funny, JR!" she stamped her foot at him.


"Oh, come on, Miss Texas! It's very funny. I haven't seen the woman in over 20 years. Did I think I loved her back then? Sure. But I didn't. Not then. Not now."


"How can you be so sure?"


"Well. For one thing, when she left me, I was sad and angry - but not enough to chase her. See, when I love a woman, I fight for her. When she leaves, I chase her down and bring her back. I marry her and make her mine. I never accept another man having her. So, no Sue Ellen. I have only ever truly loved one woman in my entire life. And you know damn well that woman isn't Vanessa Beaumont."


"Is that right, JR? I know who that woman is? How exactly do I know?"


JR growled, jumped up out of his chair, stalked over to her, swept her up in his arms, and laid her on the bed. He crawled on top of her and settled the weight of the body between her thighs. "There's only been one woman I ever went after when she left me. Only one woman I ever married. Only one woman I can't possibly ever live without," he lowered his head and ran hot kisses down her neck. "It was never Vanessa Beaumont," he began removing their clothing, "or Mandy Winger. Or Kimberly Cryder. Or any other damn woman." He rolled over onto his back and positioned her naked body above his. "It's you, Sue Ellen. There have been a lot of lovers in my life, both before and after I met you, but you are my love." He thrust himself inside her and pulled her head down to his. "You are my first love. My last love. My only love. Only you, Sue Ellen."


Their lips met in a desperately passionate kiss as their bodies moved together in a frantic rhythm until they climaxed together.


When it was over, JR laid beneath her, struggling to catch his breath.


"JR?" she said his name, snuggling against his chest.


"Hmmmmm?"


"I love you, too."


***
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Well at least James took his responsibility and talked to the police. It's a good thing that he wasn't responsible for "his father's" death after all. It's also great that Sue Ellen insists on being there when JR meets James. Poor boy wants to have a family.

Vanessa is truly dislikable the way you write her. She is no threat to Sue Ellen though. I liked how JR told Sue Ellen that he never loved Vanessa.

I can understand why Sue Ellen wants to protect John Ross.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
This is me:


FABULOUS FABULOUS UPDATE!!!

Go Sue Ellen, Go Sue Ellen, Go Sue Ellen!!!! :D

Miss Ellie reminds me of Queen Elizabeth - sorting out her family, it's wonderful :)

I won't be happy if James is JR's. Won't be happy at all and there will follow an incident. Beautiful writing for Vanessa, the Hag from Hell.
 
Top