What If

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I would happily steam roll right over anyone who wrote the original Vanessa mess, Kimberly Cryder mess, and the brain of the idiot who dreamt up Mandy Winger.

Then I'd reverse it, and do it all over again. Reverse the steam roller that is.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I would happily steam roll right over anyone who wrote the original Vanessa mess, Kimberly Cryder mess, and the brain of the idiot who dreamt up Mandy Winger.

Then I'd reverse it, and do it all over again. Reverse the steam roller that is.

YAY that would be fab.

I would love to wipe the Winger Tramp from existence in an ideal world. In a not ideal world at least leave her as the bimbo girl toy of Cliff that she came in as (which is the only scenario that JR would've gone anywhere near her to me,).
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Agree. Couple of people not too far away are close to going under the steam roller as well - if they don't stop insisting JR would have been happier away from Sue Ellen.

The whole notion reeks of sexism and a man who wants someone with no brain under the thumb.

Yes I said it out loud AND I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
My daughter is 19. She graduated from high school in June. It was a struggle, but so proud of her.

As for the wedding, I haven't made up my mind who yet... Just that someone will be getting married. It's a good way to get everyone back together and end the fic.

Ingriguing. I look forward to find out whose wedding it will be. :)

Aww, that is great that your daughter is done with High School. Of course you are proud of her. :hb:
Graduating High School is a great accomplishment for any girl/boy who is 19.

Yikes Vanessa forced them to tell the family about James before the paternity test is done. It seems a bit risky since they are not 100 % certain he is JR's son. I hope James will be JR's son though. He was on the show and I always liked the character. :D

Also JR telling the family he's never raped anyone?
Unpopular opinion here but I don't think Laurel Ellis or Holly Harwood would agree! :yikey:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
But the question of rape and did he or didn’t he isn’t relevant or consistent with this story Karin.

This is a separate work of fiction and I think @CeeCee72 has done a wonderful job with clearing up especially the mess of Laurel Ellis - without her being mentioned but hinted at. JR should never have been portrayed as having raped anyone - and I take issue with the Holly story too. It was bad writing especially when it came to Laurel to have him portrayed as a rapist. It was lazy and poor. Sure he could coerce people into what he wanted. Did that make him a rapist? I don’t think so but that’s just me.

Writers over here need to be free to express their creativity without comparisons to the original writing or who said or who wore or who did what. It’s pointless having a Writers Room if we’re just going to point out what we think really happened. If I choose to make Sue Ellen wear a blue dress when in the original she wore a white one, that’s what the creativity of this forum is for. :)

I will find it hard to accept James if he is JR’s son. To me it’s a total slap in the face and a betrayal of Sue Ellen and JR. That’s just how I feel.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Laurel hasn't happened yet in this timeline and I am wiping her very existence away. That storyline disturbed me greatly. It was painful to watch JR do that.

As for Holly, well, maybe unpopular opinion, but she had a choice. Same with Katherine. JR was never above sexual blackmail (even tried it with SE after Peter) but the sex itself was always written as consensual. Holly had a choice, Laurel didn't.

As for James....

Some of you are probably going to be upset with how the paternity test goes. Remember though, this story breaks from the "Dallas" timeline. James isn't the same person.

I won't do anything to diminish Sue Ellen's character or her importance as the mother of JR's legitimate heir. But in this story, SE is more than that - and her strength and love for her family will be what saves everyone in the end.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I agree with both your points on Holly and Laurel @CeeCee72 - strongly.

I am nervous about the James outcome as I never agreed with his introduction in the first place (in the show).
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Laurel hasn't happened yet in this timeline and I am wiping her very existence away. That storyline disturbed me greatly. It was painful to watch JR do that.

Now I am confused since I thought Laurel Ellis was in season 10 (DVD 11) of the show, which would be before this story picked up. Do I remember it wrong? :confuse:

Of course we are free to use our creativity in the writer's room. It would be a very boring place if we weren't! ;)
But since this is fanfiction we all use the same canon, which is what we saw happening on screen before our stories picks up. Of course our interpretations of that source material may differ.

I thought Holly told JR she didn't want to sleep with him and he still forced himself on her which is why she got pissed and decided to ruin his marriage by setting him up so Sue Ellen saw them in bed. Or did she have an other reason for setting JR up?
Something to do with the company?

It's been over a decade since the last time I watched the show all the way through so I may remember some things wrong.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Now I am confused since I thought Laurel Ellis was in season 10 (DVD 11) of the show, which would be before this story picked up. Do I remember it wrong? :confuse:

Of course we are free to use our creativity in the writer's room. It would be a very boring place if we weren't! ;)
But since this is fanfiction we all use the same canon, which is what we saw happening on screen before our stories picks up. Of course our interpretations of that source material may differ.

I thought Holly told JR she didn't want to sleep with him and he still forced himself on her which is why she got pissed and decided to ruin his marriage by setting him up so Sue Ellen saw them in bed. Or did she have an other reason for setting JR up?
Something to do with the company?

It's been over a decade since the last time I watched the show all the way through so I may remember some things wrong.


Actually, you're right. For some season I had it in my mind Laurel appeared in season. 12, but it WAS season 11. Oh well, still wiping her out. That's one storyline I can't deal with.

Holly was pressured by JR for sex. We never saw the deed itself. That's blackmail for sure, but she has a choice.

Maybe the distinction I'm making is a small one, but the fact is not wanting to sink a business deal isn't life or death - sending a man to prison for murder is a little different.

Also, let's bee honest, Holly continued to use her sexual wiles regarding JR after that happened. Her primary reason for setting JR up was to get him out of her company, not the sex. She wasn't a victim in my mind; Laurel was.

But yeah, my timeline was off. Still just gonna pretend she never existed.
 
Last edited:

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Gonna go against the grain and say I like the James plot in this story. I don't really want JR to have another son but at the very least we're getting a deeper dive into the specifics than the show went into (DNA test etc.) and Sue Ellen is by JR's side through the whole thing. Vanessa can go jump in the lake lol

Afton I feel like might need to do a little more to prove herself before I decide I like her and I think she's the best fit for little Pammy now.

Michelle too, April is way more enjoyable without her sister around. By the time Michelle came into the show too we'd seen 3 previous iterations of the mean sister character (Kristin, Katherine, Jessica) and she was by far the worst of the bunch in terms of character engagement.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Well I don't really mind that you are erasing the dreadful Laurel Ellis storyline. I can certainly do without it!
The whole plot was just... :craz:

I'm looking forward to find out what happens next. :)
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 90


***


"You look beautiful this morning," JR said when his wife stood up from her vanity.


"Thank you, JR," Sue Ellen smiled. "I want to make a good impression."


JR chuckled and walked over to take her in his arms. "You'll make an impression, alright,* he bent his head to kiss her. "Are you trying to impress the boy or seduce him?" He teased.


"JR!" Shs playfully slapped at his hand."I'm nervous enough! Please don't tease me!"


JR's face turned serious, *Sorry, darlin'," he sighed. "But you have nothing to be nervous about."


"Of course I do. I'm meeting my stepson for the first time."


"We don't know for sure if he's my son yet, Sue Ellen."


"He is, JR," Sue Ellen said solemnly. "I feel it in my bones. James Brumin is James Ewing. I may as well make peace with that now."


"I won't believe it until I see proof."


"That's fine," Sue Ellen shrugged.


"Darlin' are you sure you're okay with all this? Maybe we ought to have Ray take him to a hotel…"


"No, JR," she put a finger on his mouth to silence him. "This is how it has to be. I'll be fine. I promise. I just want him here and that test done - and the sooner, the better."


***


"Thanks for coming with me," Lucy said. "I don't think I could have handled both boys on my own."


"No problem," April smiled. "Happy to help."


They had gotten up early this morning to take the boys hiking. Everyone felt it was best for the boys not to be at Southfork when James arrived. Lucy had volunteered to keep them out of the house and busy to give all the adults time to talk and April had agreed to come along and help.


"James should be getting to Southfork soon," Lucy said, glancing at her watch. "Hope everything goes okay."


"You're worried, aren't you?"


Lucy looked at the boys to make sure they couldn't hear her. They were walking several feet in front of the women. "A little uneasy. Sue Ellen is handling this all so we'll, but.."


"But what?"


"It's all abstract. Once James is here and real and has to be dealt with face to face… It's going to be hard on her. Sue Ellen and JR have had such a dysfunctional marriage. One thing she always was proud of is being the only woman who ever gave him a child. It's always been important to her."


"She seems to have accepted all this rather well though."


"Yeah. But like I said, it's abstract. Getting ready to become really real, really fast."


"I think you're worried about nothing. I mean don't get me wrong, this would be hard for anyone, coming out of the blue the way it did. But Sue Ellen and JR seem calm about it all - as calm as anyone could be under the circumstances."


"Calm," Lucy repeated. "Like before the storm. April, I've watched those two for years. Being the mother to JR's only son is a huge part of who Sue Ellen is. He's been with so many other women. She is the only one who ever gave him a child. It's a point of pride. She clings to it."


"Maybe…" April hesitated.


"What?"


"Sue Ellen and JR aren't the same people anymore. I've seen the changes in them, and I know you have too. Maybe she clung to being the mother of his child because that's all she had to cling to. Maybe it was important to her because that's all she had. But now she has HIM. She has her whole family. Look, I know I'm new around here and I haven't known Sue Ellen as well as the rest of you, but it seems to me like no one gives her enough credit. She won't fall apart. And maybe, just maybe her "point on pride" now is being JR's wife. The woman he loves. His life partner. I think she'll be just fine."


Lucy turned April's words over in her mind and then sighed and nodded. "Maybe you're right. I sure hope so."


***


"You ready?" Ray asked.


He and James were sitting in the back of the car JR had sent to pick them up from the airport. They had made the trip to Southfork in silence. Now they sat in the driveway, and James still hadn't said a word.


"No," James finally answered. "I'm a lot more nervous than I thought I'd be."


"You don't have to be nervous," Ray told him.


"Hard not to be. Why are they all lined up like that?"


"Southfork traditional," Ray grinned. "This is how Miss Ellie greets family."


"Family…" James repeated. "Okay," he put his hand in the door handle, "I guess I'm ready."


Ray and James got out of the car and moved towards the family. James watched in silence as Ray hugged all the women and shook hands with all the men. His eyes were fixed on JR's face; it was totally expressionless until Ray shook his hand - then JR smiled and clapped his brother on the back, welcoming him home.


"Everyone," Ray turned back and gestured at James after he finished saying hello, "This is James Brumin."


No one moved or spoke for a brief instant before JR kissed his wife on the cheek then walked to stand in front of James. "I'm JR Ewing," he said, offering his hand.


"Yes," James took the hand and shook it firmly. "I recognize you from your pictures."


JR nodded and held his hand out to his wife. She moved forward and smiled at James. ""I'm Sue Ellen," she told him.


"I recognize you too," James said softly. "Your pictures don't do you justice. You're even more beautiful than I imagined."


Sue Ellen's smile grew wider and she moved to give him a brief hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Charmer just like your father, I see."


James dropped his gaze to the ground and said nothing. Sue Ellen took him by the hand and introduced him to the rest of the family.


"This is Miss Ellie and her husband Clayton. Over here, this is JR's brother, Bobby and his wife Pam. There on the end, that's my mother, Patricia."


James smiled and nodded and shook everyone's hands.


"Well, come on everyone. Let's go have a seat and talk."


"I have coffee and refreshments set up by the pool," Ellie informed them.


Everyone moved towards the patio. Sue Ellen reached over and touched James's hand, stopping him. "James?"


"Yes, ma'am?"


"You have your father's eyes."


She said nothing else. James followed her and took a seat at the table across from JR. JR was watching him, but he was watching his wife closer. James realized he had been right about the dynamic at Southfork. If he wanted JR to accept him at all, he needed Sue Ellen on his side.


***


"I think it went well."


Bobby looked at Pam and shrugged. James had chatted with the family for a while, telling them about himself. Eventually everyone had excused themselves to give him some time alone with Sue Ellen and JR.


"As well as it could have. Sue Ellen certainly was calm and serene."


"Yes. I don't know how she does it. I would be a nervous wreck."


"You don't ever need to worry about that," Bobby laughed. "I sewed some wild oats before I married you, but mine aren't spread nearly as far and wide as JR's."


Pam laughed along with him. "Sue Ellen introduced me as your wife."


"So? You are my wife."


"Not technically," Pam reminded him.


Bobby raised his eyebrows and moved to take her into his arms. "Maybe we should do something about that. What do you think?"


"I think," she leaned forward to kiss him, "that would make me very, very happy."


***


James sat back in his chair and looked at the man he believed to be his father. JR had just informed him that they would be leaving shortly to have the paternity test done and had reminded him firmly that he wouldn't publicly acknowledge James as his son until he felt the entire family was ready to deal with the fallout. "I understand, sir," James finally said. "I honestly don't care if you ever acknowledge me in public. That's not why I'm here. I just want to know. If it turns out you are my real father, all I want is the opportunity to get to know you and your family. That's all."


JR nodded but made no reply.


"I have something for you," James told him. He reached into his bag, pulled out a folder, and passed it to JR. "It might help you with my mother."


JR took the folder and flipped through the contents. "Where did you get these?"


"From my father. On the night he died. He was having you and my mother followed. Tons of pictures showing her smiling and laughing and kissing and cuddling with you. Doesn't look like a woman who was raped, does it?"


Sue Ellen glanced at the pictures, then turned her head away. It was difficult seeing JR look so happy with another woman.


"Thank you, James," JR finally said. "I'll get these to my attorney. They'll help a lot."


James nodded and took a deep breath. "I'll also go on record that she told me the relationship was consensual if you need me to."


"Thank you," JR said again.


"James, would you like to freshen up before you go into Dallas with Ray and JR?"


"Yes, ma'am. If it's not too much trouble."


"Of course not," Sue Ellen stood up. "JR, would you show him to his room?"


"Sure," JR gestured for James to follow him.


James stood and lightly touched Sue Ellen's shoulder. "Mrs. Ewing?"


"Yes, James?"


"Thank you for being so kind and gracious and welcoming me into your home."


Sue Ellen smiled and patted his hand. "Of course. And please. Call me Sue Ellen."


***


"He seems like a nice kid," Clayton said, watching Jack run down a horse


"That's good. Makes things a lot easier is he isn't a jackass."


"Yes," Clayton laughed. "Ray and I are going to see the lawyer in the morning. By tomorrow afternoon, you'll be a ten percent owner in Saddle Tree Enterprises."


"I wish you guys would let me buy in instead of just handing it to me." Jack groused.


"We're not handing you anything. You work your tail off around here. Hell, Jack, this place would probably run just fine without me. It would fall apart without you."


"That's not true and you know it. I'm just very grateful for the opportunity."


"You've certainly made the best of it."


"Yes. Well I have a good reason."


"April?"


"Yes," Jack smiled.


"Roots are important for a man with a wife and family."


"Yes," Jack's smile grew wider.


"So?"


"So what?"


"So are you going to put a ring on that girl's finger or not?" Clayton asked, exasperated.


Jack burst out laughing. "Yes, Clayton. Yes I am."


***


"Alright," Dr. Parks carefully placed the samples in an envelope. "I'll get these to the lab. I'll supervise the test myself."


"Good. Will we have the results? A day or two?" JR asked.


"Tomorrow," Dr. Parks answered. "The test itself doesn't take much time. It's the processing that takes a while. I'll call you tomorrow with the results."


"Thank you doctor," JR nodded. "I appreciate you handling this personally. And I appreciate your discretion."


"Of course," Dr. Parks responded, glancing nervously at Ray and James. "Mr. Ewing, may I have a minute alone with you?"


JR nodded. "Wait for me in the lobby," he instructed the other men. "What is it?" he asked Dr. Parks once they were alone.


"How is Mrs. Ewing handling all this?"


"Why?"


"I'm her doctor. It hasn't been that long since her surgery. This is a highly stressful situation."


"She seems to be taking it all in stride," JR sighed, "but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about her."


"Watch her carefully, Mr. Ewing. She can't…"


"She can't what?"


"Alcohol is very bad for her condition."


"That won't be a problem," JR said, his voice tight. "My wife's drinking days are behind her."


"Very good," Dr. Parks nodded. "You understand I had to ask."


"Yes. But there's nothing to be concerned about. I'll take care of my wife. You just worry about the test."


***


"May I join you?"


Sue Ellen looked up at her sister-in-law and smiled. "Of course. I'm just sitting out here killing time until Lucy and April get back with the boys."


"How are you feeling about everything?" Pam asked her.


"I'm not sure, actually. I'm worried about JR."


"JR? Why?"


"He hasn't shown any emotion about this at all."


"Maybe he's just being cautious. He doesn't even know if he's the father yet."


"He is," Sue Ellen sighed softly. "I believed it before, but after seeing James...those eyes, Pam. I've looked into those same eyes for years. They're JR's eyes."


"Sue Ellen…"


"I'm fine, Pam," Sue Ellen assured her. "Strangely enough, it hasn't been that hard to accept. If this had happened a year ago… it would have been different, I guess. But now - I just want what is best for JR, John Ross, and this family. Nothing else matters to me."


"I want you to know I'm here for you, Sue Ellen. Anytime, for anything."


"I know, Pam," Sue Ellen reached out and squeezed the other woman's hand. "Same goes for me."


"Bobby and I are getting re-married," Pam blurted out.


"Pam!" Sue Ellen cried excitedly, "that's wonderful! When!"


"As soon as we can. No big, flashy wedding though. Just me and Bobby and a few family members at the courthouse."


"But…"


"It's the way I want it, Sue Ellen. Really. Two big weddings are enough. I was hoping you'd be there though. To be my matron of honor."


"Oh, Pam. Of course! Of course I will!"


"Thank you, Sue Ellen. For everything. I don't know what Bobby and I would do without you."


"Well," Sue Ellen smiled brightly. "That's one thing you'll never have to find out!"


***


"You okay, Miss Texas?"


Sue Ellen looked up and smiled at her husband. She was lounging in a chair by the pool, watching John Ross and Christopher get acquainted with James. "I'm just fine, JR. That," she said nodding at the boys, "is going extremely well.*


"Oh yeah?" JR laughed. "Sure those Darth Vader masks James brought from Switzerland helped."


"You know it did," Sue Ellen giggled. She reached out, took his hand, and pulled him down beside her. "What about you, JR? Are you okay?"


JR reached out and touched her cheek, then shrugged. "Yes. It's strange. Having him here. He seems to fit right in though. It's almost like…"


"Like he belongs here?" Sue Ellen finished for him.


JR shook his head. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, honey."


"JR, I've already accepted it. You have to stop denying the obvious."


"It's not obvious to me. I need proof."


"Just like with John Ross," she muttered.


"Hey. Honey, now don't to that. Please."


"Mama! Watch me!" John Ross yelled.


Sue Ellen smiled and clapped after he completed a wobbly dive into the pool. "Good job, John Ross!"


"Sue Ellen?" JR's voice was almost a whisper. "Please?"


Sue Ellen studied his face carefully for a few moments then reached out to him and took her hands in hers. "I love you. For better or worse, JR."


JR relaxed visibly. "Til death do us part."


***


"Tomorrow, can we take James down to the stables and go riding?"


"You'd better ask James about that," JR told John Ross. "The boy might not even like horses!"


"Everyone likes horses!" John Ross insisted. "Except you "


JR grunted. "You and Christopher seem to be getting along well with James."


"He's cool," John Ross said. "I won't mind if he turns out to be my brother."


"Is that right?" JR said.


"Yeah. Mama likes him too."


"Seems so," JR agreed.


"Do you like him, Daddy?"


JR turned his face away and shrugged. "I like him just fine. Come on, son. Time to go down for dinner."


***


"Who is that?" James asked, pointing to a man in the picture with Pam and baby Christopher.


"That's my Uncle Cliff" Christopher told him. "You'll get to meet him soon. He comes to visit a lot."


"He's...Pam's brother?"


*Yes," Sue Ellen answered. "That's Gary, JR's other brother and his wife Valene. They live in California."


"Charlie showed me pictures of them. They're your parents, right?" he asked, looking at Lucy.


"Yep," Lucy said.


"It's a big family," James sighed.


"You'll get used to it," Sue Ellen patted his hand.


"James, you must be very tired and jet lagged," Ellie spoke up. "Please don't feel you need to hang around here and entertain us."


"I…" James stopped before speaking what was really on his mind. The day had been wonderful. He'd played with and gotten to know the boys. April, Lucy, and later Jack had gotten in the pool with them and they had a lot of fun. Miss Ellie and Clayton had talked to him all throughout dinner. Sue Ellen had been so welcoming and gracious. The one person who hadn't made even the slightest effort to spend time with him was JR. "Actually, yes," James finally said. "I am very tired."


"You go on and get some rest," Ellie said. "Let us know if there is anything at all you need to be more comfortable."


"Thank you, ma'am. Goodnight everyone."


He stood up, nodded his head, and walked from the room. "Goodnight, sir," he said specifically to JR on his way out.


"Goodnight," JR said gruffly.


Once James was alone in his room, he sat down on the edge of the bed and buried his face in his hands. JR didn't want him here. That was plain. He wondered if the ice might start to melt tomorrow once the paternity test results were in.


The Ewings were everything he has hoped for and more. He desperately wanted to be a part of this family. But no matter what, he wouldn't force himself into JR's life. One father who didn't want him was more than enough for a lifetime; he had no desire to make it two."


***


"Stop it, JR," Sue Ellen sighed heavily.


"What?"


"Drumming your fingers on the book cover. You're driving me insane."


"What? Oh," he said distractedly. "Sorry."


"Stop sulking and start talking, JR."


"I'm not sulking!" he said defensively. "Just thinking."


"About what?"


"You know about what," he put the book on the bedside table. "I need to deal with Vanessa. Now."


"What? You've been thinking about Vanessa?"


"Someone has to," JR replied. *Who knows when she might strike, Sue Ellen. I need to cut her off at the ankles before she does. I don't want you and Mama embarrassed in the press. And I don't want James to have to go through that kind of scrutiny before he even has a chance to get settled."


"James?" Sue Ellen repeated. "So… I mean, are you going to accept him?"


"Well of course I am," JR rolled his eyes. "You're right. He's mine. Seeing him sitting next to John Ross…"


"Yes. There's no denying the resemblance."


"No. The test is a formality."


"JR, if you feel like that, why were you so standoffish with him tonight?"


"Huh?"


It was Sue Ellen's turn to roll her eyes. "Everyone noticed it, JR."


"I wasn't being standoffish. Just distracted. Trying to figure out what to do about Vanessa."


"You know, JR, sometimes you frustrate me so much, I could strangle you!"


"What did I do?" JR asked, shocked by her sudden outburst.


"If you would just talk to me instead of trying to handle everything yourself, all of our lives would be a lot easier!"


"I am talking to you!"


"Yes! After spending the entire evening alone in a corner lost in your own little world! It made everything so awkward! Poor James probably thinks you've already rejected him!"


"Look, Sue Ellen…" he stopped when he saw the furious expression on her face. "Alright, Miss Texas. I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was coming off that way."


"You SHOULD be sorry! Tomorrow morning, you'll apologize to James for not spending any time with him. Then after we get the test results, you and Harv will announce to the Dallas press that he is your son. I will stand by you if Harv thinks that's a good idea. You'll give the pictures that James has of you and his mother to a selected reporter and describe your relationship with her."


"And why would I do all that?"


"You want to cut Vanessa down to size, right? Eliminate her as a threat? Strike first, JR. Get your story out before she has a chance to get out hers. Play offense instead of defense."


"But the family…"


"The family is ready, JR. I am ready. We need to get it out there and get it over with."


JR studied her carefully. She was clearly annoyed with him, but also very sincere in her words.


"Alright, Miss Texas. That's our plan then."


"Good," she growled. "JR Ewing, you do NOT have to caryy the weight of the world on your shoulders alone. You have to learn to share your burdens with me, just like you share your happiness."


"Alright, Miss Texas," he said again. He moved close to her and pulled her into his arms. "Thank you. This could have been so hard. You've made it easy on all of us."


"It's not easy, JR," she corrected him. "But it's not the end of the world either. We'll get through it all. But we have to do it together."


JR nodded and bent his head to kiss her. "There's something else I want to share with you," he whispered.


"Please do," she put her hand under the covers and found his erection. "Please do."


***
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I loved the latest update. :)

Sue Ellen handled James arrival really well. She seems more convinced James is JR's son than JR is...

Sweet that Bobby & Pam and April & Jack are getting remarried. But Bobby and Pam eloped the first time so they haven't had two big weddings.

So curious about the result of the paternity test now.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
And the cheer squad is back.......... Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen! Go Sue Ellen!. Still so bloody proud of my girl and how she's handling everything. It's awesome that she is so loving, yet so strong and badass now too.
Vanessa is soooo going down.
Loved the talk between Lucy and April. It's sweet to see Lucy's concern as always, but really cool to see April's take on the 'mother of JR's only son' issue.
That was something I always liked too in terms of the dallas universe, but here I still keep going back and forth.
Lol'd at the Ewing welcome party for James (I could actually see them all gathered in my mind).
Yay for Jack wanting to marry April. Don't care that much about Bobby and Pam.
Can JR and Sue Ellen get married again, or is 4 weddings overkill?.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 91


***


Vanessa stood by the window of her hotel room overlooking the Dallas skyline, but she didn't really see anything. She was lost in thought - trying desperately to figure a way out of the situation she was in.


In spite of what she'd said to JR about the unreliability of a blood test done so many years ago, she knew it was very likely that Allister wasn't James's natural father. No matter how JR's paternity test turned out, chances were that Nestor Brumin would use any means at his disposal to prove James wasn't a legitimate heir. That meant of course, that he would submit to his own test to prove James couldn't possibly be related to him.


James would prove to be the key. If it turned out that JR was NOT his father, then James would be convinced that Allister's blood test was wrong. She needed to convince him NOT to submit to any new tests with Nestor. That was her only hope.


She prayed with her whole soul that JR wasn't the father. That's the only way her plan could ever work. Eliminate JR, and maybe everything still could be salvaged. After all, James didn't know there was another possibility; and he never needed to.


***


"Good morning, James," Sue Ellen smiled as the younger man appeared at the breakfast table. "Did you sleep well?"


"Yes, ma'am. Thank you."


"I told you to please call me Sue Ellen," she reminded him.


"Yes, Sue Ellen. John Ross and Christopher have invited me to go riding this morning. Will that be alright?"


"Don't let them force you If you don't want to," JR grunted from behind his newspaper.


"I want to go," James told him. "I ride quite a bit."


"I might go too," Lucy piped up. "If you boys don't mind hanging out with a girl."


"I'd like that very much," James smiled at her.


JR jumped a little when Sue Ellen lightly kicked him under the table. "Do you shoot, James?"


"Excuse me, sir?"


"Shoot. Do you shoot? I have to go into the office this morning but I was thinking of taking Lucy out to the range for some target practice later this afternoon. If you'd like to go, we'd love to have you."


"I'd love to," James nodded. "Thank you, sir."


"You don't have to always call me sir," JR said. "Just call me JR. For now anyway."


"Okay. Thank you, JR."


"Come on, James," Lucy said, standing up. "Let's go get ourselves and the boys ready for our ride. See you two later," she waved at JR and Sue Ellen.


James followed her from the room, nodding at them both on his way out.


"Was that better?" JR asked his wife.


"Marginally." she sighed. "It wasn't an apology though."


"It's the closest thing to one he's going to get," JR growled. He folded his newspaper and laid it on the table. "Where is everyone else at this morning?"


""Miss Ellie rode into Braddock with Clayton. Jack stayed over at April's last night. Pam and Bobby haven't come down yet."


"Is that so?" JR laughed. "We need to step up our game, Miss Texas. Can't be beating those two down to the breakfast table every morning."


Sue Ellen rolled her yes and shook her head. "I'm going over to the new house with Pam and April this morning. They're putting in the phones and delivering the furniture."


"How much longer before we can move in you think?"


"Two weeks. The bottom level will be done and furnished by then."


"Good. It's gettin' too crowded around here. April will be moving in soon I bet. And just because I'm happy Bobby got that Barnes woman back doesn't mean I want to live with her."


"JR!"


"Now, darlin' that's not a knock against her it's just the truth. I gotta get to the office. Be home this afternoon." He leaned over to kiss her and stood up.


"JR?"


"Yeah?"


"If Dr. Parks calls…"


"I'll call you right away. I promise."


***


"You're awfully quiet this morning," April turned her head to look at Jack. "Something on your mind?"


They were in Jack's truck, on their way to Southfork. April was going to spend the day with Sue Ellen while Jack worked.


"I was just thinking about JR," Jack told her.


"What about him?"


"How weird this situation with James must be. I mean, it's bad enough when long lost relatives like me and Jamie show up, but a son? I can't even imagine what that must be like."


"I'm sure it hasn't been easy. For him or for She Ellen. But they seem to be navigating everything fairly well."


"Yes. I don't know how they're doing it. I think if it was me, I'd be a nervous wreck."


"Uh oh. Jack, you're not worried that you have lost little Ewings running around somewhere, are you?"


"What? No! But, oh I don't know. My whole life, I knew who I was. Who my family was. Guess I just feel sorry for James and for JR too. The shock is one thing, but how do you make up for all those lost years?"


"Same way you do anything else I guess," April shrugged. "One day at a time."


***


"Say that again, Donna?"


"I said an ethics complaint has been filed against Andrew," Donna repeated. "He's being accused of leaking confidential Senate information to you and Bobby through me."


"But he did no such thing," JR growled into the phone.


"I know that, JR," Donna sighed. "It's a political stunt but they still have to go through the motions of having a hearing."


"Waste of time."


"Depends on what their goal is. You calling in that favor to keep the bill underwraps for a while worked. But maybe someone didn't like it. The ethics hearing will put the entire bill into the public record."


"It's too late for anyone to catch up to us now. All the equipment has been delivered and we start the refitting process next week."


"Well, maybe whoever is behind this doesn't know that."


"Maybe. Listen keep me posted. If I can do anything to help Andrew let me know."


"Will do, JR. Talk soon."


JR hung up the phone and rubbed his temples. Whoever was sniffing around that environmental bill was becoming a very large pain in his ass. Time to find them and put a stop to them.


He reached out and pushed the button on his intercom. "Get your uncle Harry on the phone, Sly. I have a job for him."


***


"Oh," Bobby stopped in the doorway of the kitchen when he saw April sitting at the table having a cup of coffee. "Good morning, April. I didn't know you were here."


"Yes. I rode over with Jack. I'm going over to the new house with Sue Ellen today."


"I think Pam is going too," Bobby said.


"Yes, she is."


"So, seems like things are going really well with you and Jack."


"Yes," April smiled. "Seems the same is true for you and Pam."


"It is. I'm very happy for you, April. You deserve to behappy."


"Thank you, Bobby. I'm truly happy for you and Pam too."


"Thanks. I guess the reason the two of us couldn't get it together is because it was never meant to be."


"Both of us were meant for someone else," April agreed.


"Friends?" he asked, sticking his hand out to her.


"Always," she grinned, swatting away his hand and standing up to give him a hug. "Always."


***


"We'll be done with the refit in less than a month," Cliff told JR. "We have such a head start, no one can catch us. We rushed everything because we had the resources. No other oil company can get that equipment in that fast. Relax, JR. We'll be operational under the new standards months before anyone else."


"I hope so," JR grunted. "Because we sank a ton over money into this."


"Money well spent."


"Still, if you hear about anyone else making moves…"


"You'll be the first to know."


"Thanks, Cliff."


The phone line went dead and Cliff had barely hung up the receiver when the intercom buzzed. "Yes, Jackie?"


"Mitch Cooper is on line three, Cliff."


"Thanks." Cliff picked the phone back up and held it to his ear. "What can I do for you, Mitch?"


"I was calling to check on my niece. I tried your apartment, but no one has answered all morning."


"Afton had an appointment with her counselor today. She'll be out until this afternoon. Pammy is doing just fine."


"Has she spoken again?"


"Not yet. But she smiled at me last night."


"Really? She must really like you. I'm coming into Dallas next weekend to spend some time with Lucy. I'd like to see Pammy."


"No problem, Mitch. Just let me know when. We'll make sure we're around."


"Thanks, Cliff. I'll call again soon."


Cliff hung up the phone and sat back in his chair. He'd lied to Mitch. Afton didn't have any appointments today - at least none he knew of. It was possible she had taken Pammy out to the park or something - or maybe they'd gone shopping…


"Except she told me she planned to stay in all day today," he muttered to himself. He reached out and dialed the number to his apartment. He let it ring until the answering machine picked up. He sighed heavily as it occurred to him that even if Afton had gone to the park or out to run errands, it wouldn't take her all morning.


He stood up and grabbed his briefcase. "I'll be out of the office for a while," he told Jackie on his way out. "Cancel all my appointments."


He got into the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. "Where are you Afton? Please God don't be doing anything stupid."


***


Dr. Parks inhaled deeply as he studied the paper in front of him. "How can this be?"


"I don't know. But we ran it twice like you asked. The results are accurate."


"This is highly unusual."


"I agree. All I can say is this must be one messed up family."


"So it would seem, thank you."


Dr. Parks waited until his assistant left his office then picked up his phone. He dialed the number and waited for someone to pick up the line.


"Dr. Parks for JR Ewing. It's very important."


He waited only a few moments before JR greeted him. "Yes, Mr. Ewing. I have the results of your paternity test. I don't think we should do this over the phone. How quickly can you get to my office?"


***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Ooh interesting. Does this mean JR isn't the daddy then (yay), but maybe the real daddy is still close to home?
'Family' is not necessarily immediate/blood. Has Cliff ever been to Europe?. Or maybe it's Jock (we know he's got form for it because of Ray, and I think he went with Julie Grey too, just like JR). Could it be Ewing Oil's former gigolo Bobby, a drunken romp with Gary?
Ok I'm letting my imagination run away with me now. I don't even remember if she met any of his family at any time.
Can't wait to find out what Dr Parks has to say.
:tv:is a slut by the way.
 
Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Intriguing. So there is a third candidate. I wonder who that is?

It didn't sound like JR is the daddy!
But someone else in the family. What about Ray?
He and JR used to hang out back in the days and did sleep with married women.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 92


***


"Thank you for coming over so quickly."


"Well, you said it was important," JR shrugged. "You have the paternity test results?"


"Yes," Dr. Parks sighed. "Please have a seat."


Dr. Parks walked behind his desk, sat down, and reached for a folder. "We ran the test twice to verify the results. Mr. Ewing, you are not the biological father of James Brumin."


JR sat silently for a few moments, processing what Dr. Parks has told him.


"I'm relieved," he finally said. "But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. He… he looks like a Ewing."


"Yes, well," Dr. Parks cleared his throat. "There's a reason for that."


"What?" JR asked, his eyes narrowing in confusion.


"Mr. Ewing, you're not James's father. But he is related to you. Closely. I would say nephew or cousin."


"That's not possible. And how would you even know that?"


"It's not just possible, Mr. Ewing; it's fact. Paternity testing has come a long way in the past several years. It's not a blood test anymore. We test DNA. We can tell a lot from it. James Brumin isn't your son, but he is your relative."


"That's not…"


"You have brothers, do you not? Any Uncles?"


"Three brothers. Can't be Bobby. He was too young and he would have told me by now if he had a thing with Vanessa. Gary wasn't even around. Ray…"


"Yes?"


"Oh, my God," JR muttered.


"You understand now why I didn't want to discuss this over the phone?"


"Yes. Listen, doctor, keep this under wraps. Not a word to anyone."


"All medical files are confidential, Mr. Ewing. You needed worry."


JR nodded and stood up. "Thank you, Dr. Parks."


He moved out of the office, into the hallway, and paused to put his Stetson on his head. "Ray Krebbs," he seethed under his breath. "You lying, cheating son of a bitch!"


***


"I don't see you can pull it off, Pam," Sue Ellen said thoughtfully. "If you only invite me and JR and Cliff and Afton down to the courthouse, Miss Ellie will be hurt. Lucy will be disappointed too."


"I just don't want a huge crowd," Pam sighed. "But honestly, Bobby agrees with you. He's pushing for a real wedding."


"Why not compromise?" April suggested. "Have a small wedding with just close family but do it at Southfork so the whole family can be there."


"I don't want a wedding at Southfork," Pam sighed. "I know what will happen. It will start out small, but guests will keep being added and before long it will turn into a full blown social event. There's just no way to keep it private. Any flowers or catering and everyone in Dallas will know before long."


"True," Sue Ellen agreed. "But you could have it here."


"What?"


"Have it here," Sue Ellen repeated. "JR and I will be moved in and settled in a couple of weeks. You and I can do all the planning, family only. Less than 20 people."


"Will Miss Ellie let us plan it by ourselves?" Pam asked.


"Yes," Sue Ellen assured her. "She stayed completely out of the planning of mine and JR's wedding. She let Lucy do it all on her own."


"I think it's a grand idea," April smiled. "You get your private wedding, and Bobby gets the whole family there. Win, win."


"Well...if you're sure, Sue Ellen. I don't want to impose…"


"Don't be silly, Pam!" Sue Ellen smiled. "It will all be perfectly beautiful! Just wait and see!"


***


Cliff let himself into the apartment and was surprised to hear noise coming from the kitchen. He walked towards the sound and saw Afton humming to herself as she mopped the floor. He watched her for a few minutes as relief soaked through his body. She was home - and she was sober.


"You know I have a cleaning lady, right?" he finally said.


Afton jumped and cried out. "Cliff! You scared the life out of me!"


"Sorry."


"And yes, I know you have a cleaning lady, but she doesn't come for a couple of days and there's apple juice on the floor right now. Pammy dropped her cup."


"Where is Pammy?"


"Napping in the nursery. What are you doing home this time of day?"


"You weren't answering the phone," Cliff told her truthfully. "I was worried."


"What are you talking about? The phone hasn't rang all day."


"Mitch called repeatedly. I called too."


Afton shook her head, "it hasn't rang, Cliff."


Cliff walked from the kitchen over to the cordless phone in the living room. The receiver was missing. He walked into the bedroom and saw it on the bedside table where he'd left it the night before. He picked it up and realized the battery was dead.


"Cliff?"


He turned his head and saw Afton standing in the doorway. "Dead battery," he told her. "I'm going to put a wall phone in the kitchen. If something had happened and you needed to call for help.."


"You thought I was using, didn't you?" she asked softly.


"It crossed my mind," he confessed. "I'm sorry, Afton. I know I need to learn to trust you…"


"No, Cliff," Afton corrected him, moving across the room to stand directly in front of him."I'm an addict. You can't learn to trust me until I earn that trust. I know it will take time."


He reached out and pushed a stray lock of hair away from her face. "I love you, you know."


"I know," she smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I love you too."


***


"Thanks for giving me the morning off, Clayton."


Clayton and Ray looked up to see Jack coming into the kitchen.


"You don't need my permission to take time off anymore, Jack. You're a partner now." Clayton reminded him. "Did you get it?"


"Yeah."


"Well, let's see it!" Ray demanded.


Jack reached into his pocket and pulled out a black velvet box. He opened it slowly and showed the other men the ring inside.


"April is going to love it," Clayton told him. "When are you going to propose?"


"Tonight," Jack answered. "And I'm nervous as hell."


"Don't be," Ray laughed. "She'll say yes before you even manage to finish asking the question."


"I hope so," Jack sighed, "because the only thing in the world I really want is to make that woman my wife again. And this time, I am going to hang on to her forever."


***


"So how are you liking Southfork so far?" Lucy asked


"Love it," James replied. "It must have been wonderful growing up here."


"It had its moments. Good and bad."


"No family is perfect," James told her. "But at least you guys really seem to love each other."


"We do," Lucy agreed. "But don't make this some fairy tale in your head, James. We're pretty messed up. Combative. Tangled up relationships."


"Yeah, well at least you're all on speaking terms. More than I can say for the family I grew up in."


"John Ross and Christopher have really taken to you."


"I've never really spent any time around kids before," James admitted. "But I really enjoy it. They're great. A lot of fun."


"Yes. James?"


"Yeah?"


"I've taken to you too. I really hope it turns out that we're cousins."


"Me too, Lucy," James smiled at her. "Me too."


***


"If you spray me with those guns, I will ground you for life!" Sue Ellen yelled at the boys. "Point them somewhere else!"


"We really should have thought things through before we bought those things," Pam laughed.


"Yes. We've turned our children into little water gun terrorists!"


Pam and Sue Ellen were lounging in the sun.The boys were playing in the pool with James and Lucy. April and Jack were sitting alone at a table, deep in conversation. Clayton, Ellie, Ray, and Patricia were sitting under an umbrella, playing a card game.


"This is nice," Pam sighed. "I wish Bobby and JR were here."


"Someone has to go into the office and earn a living," Sue Ellen giggled.


"Maybe not," Pam pointed at JR's car coming down the driveway. "He's home early."


"Maybe he got the results of the paternity test," Sue Ellen said nervously.


Before Pam could reply, JR climbed out of his car, slammed the door, and stalked purposely over to Ray. "You son of a bitch!" he growled, yanking Ray out of his chair. "When were you planning to tell me you slept with her?"


"Slept with who, JR?" Ray asked, confused. He tried to shake JR loose, but the other man had a death grip on his arm. "What's wrong with you?"


"What's wrong with me?" JR asked snidely. "How about having a brother who sleeps with my woman, for starters. And then add in lying about it for years!"


"JR!" Miss Ellie admonished her son. "Let him go!"


"No," JR snapped back. "Not until he tells me the truth!"


Sue Ellen stood up and ran over to the two men. "JR, please stop this! The children are watching!"


"Stay out of this, Sue Ellen!" JR raged. "If he doesn't tell me the truth right now, I'm going to beat him within an inch of his life."


"Try it," Ray challenged him. "I guarantee you'll leave more than your fair share of blood on the ground."


"You thought I'd never know, didn't you?" JR demanded. "You thought I'd never find out!"


"Find out about what, JR?" Ray asked, starting to lose his temper.


"You screwing around with MY woman. Tell me, Ray, did I even cross your mind when you were in bed with her?"


"JR, please!" Sue Ellen pleaded.


"My own brother. You scum."


"I didn't know we were brothers then!" Ray shouted. "It was years ago JR! She was drunk! I don't even think she knew what she was doing! And I made a huge mistake not walking away!"


"Oh, you made a mistake, alright," JR snarled. "And it's one you're going to be paying for for the rest of your miserable life! Why didn't you tell me?"


"Why would I?" Ray snapped. "You were sleeping with everything in a skirt! You didn't want her! She was drunk and lonely and we both made a mistake! It only happened once, JR. I don't know how you found out about it, but I swear to you, it only happened once! And maybe instead of being mad at me, you should blame yourself! If you had treated your wife with one shred of decency it never would have happened!"


"What…" JR let go of Ray and stumbled a few steps backwards. "Did you just say… my wife..."


He turned his head to look at Sue Ellen. She was ghost white. Her eyes were wide and panicked. Tears were flowing freely down her cheeks.


"Oh, Sue Ellen…" JR's voice was full of anguish. "Oh please, honey, no…"


"JR…"


"It's true, isn't it?" JR's voice was thick with uncried tears.


"JR…" she whispered brokenly. "I can explain…"


"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" JR roared, charging forward at Ray and knocking him to the ground. JR climbed on top of him and started pummeling his head with brutal blows. "I am going to kill you!"


Everyone else was too shocked to move for a few seconds. Finally Sue Ellen let out a tortured cry and ran into the house. Pam and Patricia went after her. Jack and Clayton ran over and forcibly lifted JR off the ground, holding him back as he continued to struggle to get loose and get back at Ray.


"JR!" Ellie screamed. "Please calm down."


"He's a dead man! You hear me! A dead man!"


Lucy, James, and the boys watched the scene unfold, all too shocked to move. Finally Lucy shook her head and put her arms around the shoulders of both boys. "It's going to be okay," she soothed them. "Just another family squabble."


The boys both nodded and hugged her tightly. Lucy fixed her gaze on James's stunned face and shrugged. "Whelp. Welcome to Southfork."


***
 

zephiey

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I don't like JR's reaction to Ray possibly sleeping with Vanessa. He keeps going on about 'his woman' when referring to Vanessa. To me it's out of character for JR to refer to Vanessa as 'his woman', 'that woman' would be more in character. Now the fool has opened up another can of worms.
JR, you are a dumbass!
 
Top